Are Farabee and Frost the most dynamic skilled players we ever drafted

RonJeremy

It seems like ages since drafted 2 forwards with such a  creative, high skill level as these 2 guys?  Obviously G  and Konecny have skill and we have drafted guys like Propp and Barber, Carter  etc. In the past we always went for the 2 way guys Richards, Sutter, Ricci, Rubstov,etc . Since Forsberg I dont think we have drafted any guys with such  pure offensive skills ,skating and dangling ability like these guys. I just hope that in any trades we make our GM is not foolish enough to trade either of these guys. These guys could turn out to be the most exciting players we have had since Lindros.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ever" is a long time. We've drafted some pretty dynamic players, but it's certainly been awhile. 

I agree with the post, though.  Especially together, they could be something very special to watch. I'm hoping they don't do anything insane like move either of them. 

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

These guys could turn out to be the most exciting players we have had since Lindros.

Well, except for Giroux of course?

Also, let's not pile on the expectations too high. They are still juniors after all.

I feel like we're in such a bad place with the current roster that we're willing to hyperbolize every prospect we can find. I certainly hope Frost or Farabee become elite at this level, but the jury is clearly still out on that. Again, they're playing against boys right now. The NHL is filled with players who were stars in juniors and who are bottom six players now.

Again, I hope that happens, but let's just not jump the gun too quickly. It is entirely possible they'll never be as good as say Couturier or TK or Patrick, and we drafted all of those guys.

10 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

It seems like ages since drafted 2 forwards with such a  creative, high skill level as these 2 guys?  Obviously G  and Konecny have skill and we have drafted guys like Propp and Barber, Carter  etc. In the past we always went for the 2 way guys Richards, Sutter, Ricci, Rubstov,etc . Since Forsberg I dont think we have drafted any guys with such  pure offensive skills ,skating and dangling ability like these guys. I just hope that in any trades we make our GM is not foolish enough to trade either of these guys. These guys could turn out to be the most exciting players we have had since Lindros.

Claude Giroux says hello.

52 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I listed Giroux, but i don’t think he was as dominant in juniors as Frost is. 

Giroux is along the lines of a play maker like Frost projects to be.

Farabee it is always hard to project I think harder coming from the college ranks.

But he will maybe be the teams top goal scorer once he has settled in.

However none maybe as productive as Ratcliffe and his scoring prowess, he actually scored 50 goals in junior this past year.

That is something that Giroux, Frost, Couturier and even Patrick can't even say they ever have done before.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I listed Giroux, but i don’t think he was as dominant in juniors as Frost is. 

Giroux had 3 - 100 point seasons in junior. Frost has 2. Giroux put up over 2 points per game over 41 playoff games. Frost has 50 points in 54 playoff games.  Giroux carried Gatineau to the Memorial Cup on his shoulders his last season there.

I think both will be very good NHLers. I doubt either is as good as Giroux.

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Claude Giroux says hello.

So does Robert Earle Clarke. Sheesh

I get that Clarkie is mostly remembered for his leadership, his tireless work ethic and being one of the dirtiest players of all time. And a crap GM.

But the MVP trophy in the WHL is still named after him for chrissake.

I guess he wasn't "dynamic," but even then, name another playmaker who could get a mostly drunk winger to score 60 in the bigs? 

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

So does Robert Earle Clarke. Sheesh

I get that Clarkie is mostly remembered for his leadership, his tireless work ethic and being one of the dirtiest players of all time. And a crap GM.

But the MVP trophy in the WHL is still named after him for chrissake.

I guess he wasn't "dynamic," but even then, name another playmaker who could get a mostly drunk winger to score 60 in the bigs? 

Well, okay, but the question was "two" forwards.  And if we're going back to Clarke even for one, that kind of makes the point.  

But when was the last time we had two of the possible calibre of Frost and Farabee emerging at the same time?  It's hard to think of a pair.  I can think of single players, but a pair?

Of course Clarke was a great player, but I wrote about pure offensive ,skating and dangling skills...Clarke had none of that , he put up points but was more of a hard working meat and potato’s guy . I also wrote we always went for the 2 way guy instead of the pure offensive guy and I wrote it’s been ages since we drafted 2 skilled guys like Farabee and Frost.. Clarke was drafted in 69, that was that was 50 years ago...if that doesn’t qualify as ages ago ,then I’m mistaken.....some of you guys need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Of course Clarke was a great player, but I wrote about pure offensive ,skating and dangling skills...Clarke had none of that , he put up points but was more of a hard working meat and potato’s guy . I also wrote we always went for the 2 way guy instead of the pure offensive guy and I wrote it’s been ages since we drafted 2 skilled guys like Farabee and Frost.. Clarke was drafted in 69, that was that was 50 years ago...if that doesn’t qualify as ages ago ,then I’m mistaken.....some of you guys need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

Back to your original question, I think the first step would be for Frost and Farabee to prove they're better at those things than Patrick, who was known for his dangles and snipes in junior as well (enough to be considered the consensus #1/2 pick, let's not forget). At the rate Patrick is going now, that seems very possible, but we'd have to see the Double Fs in the NHL to make a real comparison.

If they prove that, then I suppose the next step would be Giroux. I really doubt they'll get to Giroux's level, but I certainly hope I'm wrong. That's not a knock on Frost or Farabee, just an acknowledgement of how Giroux is significantly better than the haters seem to suggest of him. Very few players can showcase his level of puck control, passing, and dangling skill in particular. He's on a short list.

From what I have seen (WJC, world junior showcase last summer, a number of OHL games) Farabee could be a top 6 guy, Ratcliffe a 6-10 guy, Obrien a bottom 6 guy. Frost I'm still not sure about. Hope I'm wrong about him, he just isn't consistently good when I have seen him play. Thtas just my humble opinion. They are still just kids though, long way to go.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:32 PM, elmatus said:

I feel like we're in such a bad place with the current roster that we're willing to hyperbolize every prospect we can find.

100 % Agree.... the are NOTHING more than good prospects right now.  The talent appears to be there with both players but let's not heap a ton of nonsensical expectations on these kids.  Over time they will prove to be worth it or they fall into the category of hundreds of players that never lived up to the hype.  

These are not generational talents we are talking about.  They are very very good prospects.   Time will tell...   I am excited for both of them and hope they becomes stars.

I'm am just happy they have acknowledged the fact that they need a #2 center.

They have their other ones.

Couturier can hold down the 1st.

Patrick need to find his groove on the 3rd before thinking about advancing.

And Laughton is perfect for the 4th line.

So go finding a 2nd line center should be the first free agent priority.

Then finding a vet D man to help groom the kids.

True Farabee and Frost are still just unproven prospects but they seem to have alot of finesse and natural offensive skill, which is something the Flyers severely lack in the offensive zone . You cant blame the fans for being excited over these guys, since Flyers hockey has been anything but exciting. 

Hart, Sanheim , Konecny and Lindblom are also a big positive for this team,  lets hope Patrick steps up next year too. I think Konecny can hit the 30 goal mark next year. If either of Frost or Farabee can step up even at the mid season point after 30-40 games in the minors it can be a huge asset to this team.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm am just happy they have acknowledged the fact that they need a #2 center.

They have their other ones.

Couturier can gold down the 1st.

Patrick need to find his groove on the 3rd before thinking about advancing.

And Laughton is perfect for the 4th line.

So go finding a 2nd line center should be the first free agent priority.

Then finding a vet D man to help groom the kids.

So, I guess it's fair to assume Giroux stays at wing. Otherwise, no need for 2C.  If he's at wing, yeah. Patrick is not a 2C. Not yet, anyway. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

So, I guess it's fair to assume Giroux stays at wing. Otherwise, no need for 2C.  If he's at wing, yeah. Patrick is not a 2C. Not yet, anyway. 

Yes leave Giroux on the wing.

19 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

The "two" part, I must admit, was simply lost on me. As you were...

Sorry wasn't being a smart a##. 

I'm really struggling to come up with two at the same time.  I mean, with Frost and Farabee it's just two I'm excited about--forget whether that's justified at this point or if they pan out.   I don't even remember a pair (pauses for chuckle) I was even excited about, much less turned out. 

Do you?   I'm thinking I have to go back to the 80s when Zezel and Poulin and Sutter and Tocchet, etc. were all coming up at the same time.   But at the time, I knew nothing about AHLers much less juniors players (now it's next to nothing) so I wouldn't have been excited prior to their arrival in Philly.   But I'm thinking I need to go back to then. 

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Sorry wasn't being a smart a##. 

I'm really struggling to come up with two at the same time.  I mean, with Frost and Farabee it's just two I'm excited about--forget whether that's justified at this point or if they pan out.   I don't even remember a pair (pauses for chuckle) I was even excited about, much less turned out. 

Do you?   I'm thinking I have to go back to the 80s when Zezel and Poulin and Sutter and Tocchet, etc. were all coming up at the same time.   But at the time, I knew nothing about AHLers much less juniors players (now it's next to nothing) so I wouldn't have been excited prior to their arrival in Philly.   But I'm thinking I need to go back to then. 

Yeah I guess i think about those guys too. But I wouldn't use the word "dynamic" to describe any of them. I guess that word wasn't really used then to describe skilled players. It's a recent affectation. Anyway, I haven't seen enuff of Farabee to comment on it really, thus going with what I know, which is how good a hockey player Clarke was.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Mike Richards and Jeff Carter?

Honestly wasn't excited about them when they came up.  I mean, I should have been, but I can't say that I was. I think at the time all of the hype (especially about Richards being a born leader, yadda yadda) made me more irritated than excited. 

Archived