Philadelphia Flyers 2019-20 camp/pre season

OccamsRazor

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

If he cant make this type of decision, he shouldnt have been hired

Unless he can bake a good cake

Oh he has and will. They don't have room for mediocrity anymore...no more room for passengers!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If he cant make this type of decision, he shouldnt have been hired

Unless he can bake a good cake

The biggest thing i want is for him finally to hold their Captain accountable....and if he can't do it let's find another Captain.

They need a leader by example....and i don't just mean stat wise...

10 hours ago, brelic said:

Who are the locks among forwards?

G, Coots, TK, JVR, Hayes, Lindblom, Raffl, Laughton, Patrick.

Wow, has Voracek been that bad in camp? 

However, with Patrick hurt at the moment, it seems there are three open spots.

10 hours ago, brelic said:

Pitlick, Stewart, Andreoff, Rubtsov, Farabee, Frost, Vorobyev, NAK.

Who's it gonna be? Who's gonna step up their game and EARN those spots?

I'd rank the chances as follows:

Rubtsov has the best chance, imo.  All quotes from management indicate he's done a lot to merit a spot.  If Patrick is hurt, it makes sense to keep him up.  Once Patrick is back, I think Rubtsov may go to the AHL unless he looks real good and forces Laughton to wing.  Alternatively, I suppose they can try him at RW. 

Think Vorobyev could land a spot, but, unless he picks it up or Rubtsov falters, I think Rubtsov has him beat.

I don't see Farabee or Frost making the roster.  I don't think either of them has played in a way that makes it hard to send them to the AHL.  Plus, I don't think bottom six minutes helps them much.  Rather see them get top time in the AHL.

Here's where things get interesting.

-- Pitlick was a FA signing.  It would be odd if they parted ways with him.

-- Stewart seems to have done some good stuff in camp.  Maybe he gets a spot on merit?

-- NAK's waiver status makes me think they keep him.

-- Andreoff is probably ticketed for the Phantoms.

With Patrick hurt, I think Rubtsov, NAK, Pitlick and Stewart are on the roster.  They will have a hard choice, and may lose a player to waivers, once Patrick comes back.  I suppose they could send Rubtsov back to the AHL.

More interesting to me is the logjam on defense...

Edited by vis

9 hours ago, vis said:

Wow, has Voracek been that bad in camp? 

However, with Patrick hurt at the moment, it seems there are three open spots.

I'd rank the chances as follows:

Rubtsov has the best chance, imo.  All quotes from management indicate he's done a lot to merit a spot.  If Patrick is hurt, it makes sense to keep him up.  Once Patrick is back, I think Rubtsov may go to the AHL unless he looks real good and forces Laughton to wing.  Alternatively, I suppose they can try him at RW. 

Think Vorobyev could land a spot, but, unless he picks it up or Rubtsov falters, I think Rubtsov has him beat.

I don't see Farabee or Frost making the roster.  I don't think either of them has played in a way that makes it hard to send them to the AHL.  Plus, I don't think bottom six minutes helps them much.  Rather see them get top time in the AHL.

Here's where things get interesting.

-- Pitlick was a FA signing.  It would be odd if they parted ways with him.

-- Stewart seems to have done some good stuff in camp.  Maybe he gets a spot on merit?

-- NAK's waiver status makes me think they keep him.

-- Andreoff is probably ticketed for the Phantoms.

With Patrick hurt, I think Rubtsov, NAK, Pitlick and Stewart are on the roster.  They will have a hard choice, and may lose a player to waivers, once Patrick comes back.  I suppose they could send Rubtsov back to the AHL.

More interesting to me is the logjam on defense...

Haha, I knew I was forgetting someone. 

Agree with your analysis, but I don’t think Stewart makes it. To your point, my guess is they will carry 8 defensemen to start, leaving 13 forward spots and 2 goalies. 

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Hayes/Voracek

Lindblom/Laughton/Raffl

Pitlick/Rubtsov/NAK

Patrick

Honestly, that roster doesn’t look very promising. There’s a big drop off in talent. 

Frost could be given a shot at 3C (Laughton to the 4th and Ruby to LHV) if Patrick is out for several games. He looked like he could actually make things happen offensively. 

Got a feeling Hagg and Morin are 7 and 8 until one is moved, probably sooner rather than later. 

Some more smoke...

Flyers and Jets Talking?

There is a ton of buzz right now that the Jets have interest in a D-man and the Flyers may be upping the package to take an outside shot at Patrik Laine....The Flyers are loaded with prospects and players, but many of them are similar...They do not have a sniper in the group....Could there be a fit here? We will be following this up for sure...

Again, I just don’t see how the Flyers can make it work salary wise and - most importantly - improve the team. 

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

Some more smoke...

Flyers and Jets Talking?

There is a ton of buzz right now that the Jets have interest in a D-man and the Flyers may be upping the package to take an outside shot at Patrik Laine....The Flyers are loaded with prospects and players, but many of them are similar...They do not have a sniper in the group....Could there be a fit here? We will be following this up for sure...

Again, I just don’t see how the Flyers can make it work salary wise and - most importantly - improve the team. 

I could see interest...he seems to have set his bridge to the 'Peg on fire. But I hope we wouldn't overpay for him. Goal scorers obviously hold high value. Head cases...not so much.

48 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I could see interest...he seems to have set his bridge to the 'Peg on fire. But I hope we wouldn't overpay for him. Goal scorers obviously hold high value. Head cases...not so much.

There's no bridge just fields and fields of prairie.

My gut tells me the Jets are actively considering trading him. The plan was to get both him and Connor signed together because it was the best way to ensure cap certainty. They only have ~$14.5M in space. 

So, if we see Connor signed soon, but not Laine, it could mean Laine is on the move. I could absolutely see them interested in Ghost, although with Buff's season and career uncertain they could be looking for a different type of Dman.

To me, I think some of this drama going on is much ado about nothing, but Laine has not exactly covered himself in glory with his comments. Is he a head case? I dunno. He's still a teenager in many ways for sure. And I think the concern over his video game playing is real. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

And I think the concern over his video game playing is real. 

That and the -24 on a very good Jets team. I feel like his game and work ethic would fall out of favour pretty fast here. Flyers fans are pretty intolerant lol. 

2 hours ago, brelic said:

That and the -24 on a very good Jets team. I feel like his game and work ethic would fall out of favour pretty fast here. Flyers fans are pretty intolerant lol. 

Indeed. Laine's two-way game (lol) is non-existent, which is to say he is a liability. Jets fans were prepared to cut him some slack and even compliment him on his play in the playoffs, where he did show a new level of engagement, but it was a small sample. I question his work ethic too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Jake would love it...

...he would have someone who would me him look like a Selke candidate...

• Haha 3

09/23/2019..boston .

PROJECTED LINES (subject to change)

Flyers

25 James van Riemsdyk - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
82 Connor Bunnaman - 13 Kevin Hayes - 23 Oskar Lindblom
81 Carsen Twarynski - 21 Scott Laughton - 44 Chris Stewart
10 Andy Andreoff - 50 German Rubtsov - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
55 Sam Morin - 59 Mark Friedman

37 Brian Elliott
[79 Carter Hart]

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

With luck this is the last time we'll see Stewart and Andreoff. They have not been good.

Let's hope so.

Strange to put Stewart on the 3rd when he was pretty invisible on the 4th...so push him up a line?

I guess they as are making sure they gave him a chance.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Apparently Patrick deleted his social media accounts yesterday. Probably insignificant, maybe not. 

Such a strange shroud of mystery around his injury. 

Especially since he was participating in everything leading up to camp, and has been skating/shooting on his own. It's just weird.

RE: Patrick

I wonder if his "baseline" was bad.

If that's the case that would be a shame. Crosby missed a lot of time with his concussion/s he came back and has been mostly great.

There have been times when he's looked merely mortal of late but that could be miles on the odometer as much as anything else. 

I hope the  young man recovers and can play, I think he's got a lot of talent, the Flyers didn't do him or themselves any favors rushing him to the bigs, especially after missing a lot of his draft season with an abdominal injury. That's all well documented though. 

The nice thing is there's ample talent in the system so he and the team can take the time necessary to make sure he's fully recovered. 

Hextall's depth his helping the club in this instance. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, intheslot said:
09/23/2019..boston .

PROJECTED LINES (subject to change)

Flyers

25 James van Riemsdyk - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
82 Connor Bunnaman - 13 Kevin Hayes - 23 Oskar Lindblom
81 Carsen Twarynski - 21 Scott Laughton - 44 Chris Stewart
10 Andy Andreoff - 50 German Rubtsov - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
55 Sam Morin - 59 Mark Friedman

37 Brian Elliott
[79 Carter Hart]

CRAP! No G or Jake either....no Hart....thought I would be seeing Frost/Farabee/etc...NOT Stewart...and WHO THE **** is Andy Anderoff!!!.... (Damn Pre-season)! 😉

• Haha 1

@AJgoal

I didn't think he looked like an NHL player yet.

I did see a lot of skill with the puck and some really great awareness of the play. As his body develops,  what I saw from him will make him a really dynamic player.  I worried about him in the corners and thought he needed to be stronger on the puck; also, I didn't see breathtaking speed or quickness and I was expecting that. 

I think he'll benefit from playing in the A for sure, I think once his body matures, he'll be a hell of a nice player, he's got a lot of skill and smarts.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:15 AM, brelic said:

Haha, I knew I was forgetting someone. 

Agree with your analysis, but I don’t think Stewart makes it. To your point, my guess is they will carry 8 defensemen to start, leaving 13 forward spots and 2 goalies. 

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Hayes/Voracek

Lindblom/Laughton/Raffl

Pitlick/Rubtsov/NAK

Patrick

Honestly, that roster doesn’t look very promising. There’s a big drop off in talent. 

Frost could be given a shot at 3C (Laughton to the 4th and Ruby to LHV) if Patrick is out for several games. He looked like he could actually make things happen offensively. 

Got a feeling Hagg and Morin are 7 and 8 until one is moved, probably sooner rather than later. 

Ruby is impressing at 4C from what I can tell, but Twarinski is also turning heads and could snatch that spot from NAK.  

I get the feeling Farabee is really impressing as well right now,

I could see:

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Hayes/Voracek

Lindblom/Laughton/Farabee

Raffl/Rubtsov/Twarinski

Vyrobyov

Patrick  to LHV for conditioning stint (he may not like it, but he is Waiver Exempt still and it's not a good idea to throw him into the season right off without any camp time).

Pitlick Will likely go to LHV for a "conditioning Stint" but that will need to be more limited as he's not Wavier Exempt.

When Patty gets good, Laughton Likely drop to 4C and Ruby back to LHV.

As you say, if they move Hagg, they can Carry Ruby and Pitlick, but Ruby's young enough that getting him minutes is valuable and still waiver Exempt himself.  

I think Misha gets the bench spot for now because NAK isn't waiver Elligible.  If NAK wins the 3RW or 4RW spot, he'll have it all year.  Maybe he's ready for that and they think so too, or maybe they go with the guys they want to see try it out and don't have to commit to first.

I wouldn't move Hagg now however unless Fletcher gets a really good offer, which would almost have to be high picks at this point considering how deep and competitive the roster is right now.  

I could be wrong and may just be projecting my own thoughts on it.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let's hope so.

Strange to put Stewart on the 3rd when he was pretty invisible on the 4th...so push him up a line?

I guess they as are making sure they gave him a chance.

They're doing their diligence for Stewart, but he keeps focusing on rough stuff and I think think that's what the staff really wants to see from him.  Feels like an old school agent of former coach suggestion becase a "team always needs toughness".  

I don't know about AV, but it's just annoying the hell out of me.