Game 21: Flyers and Panthers; 11/19/19 @ 7:00

Howie58

Greetings:

We are underdogs in Sunrise:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-florida-odds-november-19-2019-1160771

Statistically, the teams are similar but Florida is much better over the last 10 games.  This is an interesting matchup with two of the best coaches in their respective first years. Florida's rebuild seems to be progressing better than ours, and the Barkov line has skill and speed.  This was a team we used to beat up on .  Over the last few years, FLA has been tough, particularly in Sunrise, where we are on  three game losing streak:

https://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Florida_Panthers

Hopefully, adding Morgan Frost sparks our offense.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

We are underdogs in Sunrise:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-florida-odds-november-19-2019-1160771

Statistically, the teams are similar but Florida is much better over the last 10 games.  This is an interesting matchup with two of the best coaches in their respective first years. Florida's rebuild seems to be progressing better than ours, and the Barkov line has skill and speed.  This was a team we used to beat up on .  Over the last few years, FLA has been tough, particularly in Sunrise, where we are on  three game losing streak:

https://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Florida_Panthers

Hopefully, adding Morgan Frost sparks our offense.

It would be nice to get a two-three goal lead and actually hold onto it.

But beggars won't be choosing so just win in regulation please.

Panthers have been a thorn in the Flyers for a few years now.

It's getting old I would like to get back to the days of dominating them again.

And I'm sure Bob will get the start.

Hopefully he doesn't haunt them in Florida.

TARTING LINEUPS

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 48 Morgan Frost - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 49 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Andy Andreoff - 12 Michael Raffl - 18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Konecny, Provorov, Voracek
Power Play 2: Couturier, Lindblom, Farabee, Gostisbehere, Niskanen

Scratches: 44 Chris Stewart (healthy), 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL).

Injured reserve: 21 Scott Laughton (broken right index finger)

Injured non-roster: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

PANTHERS

11 Jonathan Huberdeau - 16 Aleksander Barkov - 63 Evgenii Dadonov
9 Brian Boyle - 21 Vincent Trocheck - 10 Brett Connolly
77 Frank Vatrano - 62 Denis Malgin - 68 Mike Hoffman
14 Dominic Toninato - 55 Noel Acciari - 7 Colton Sceviour

3 Keith Yandle - 5 Aaron Ekblad
19 Mike Matheson - 6 Anton Strålman
13 Mark Pysyk - 2 Josh Brown

72 Sergei Bobrovsky
[33 Sam Montembeault]

Power Play 1: Hoffman, Barkov, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Yandle
Power Play 2: Malgin, Trocheck, Connolly, Vatrano, Ekblad

Scratches: 73 Dryden Hunt (healthy), 8 Jayce Hawryluk (doubtful, upper body), 52 Mackenzie Weeger (facial injury, doubtful).

Looks like forward lines are
Giroux-Frost-Konecny
JVR-Hayes-Voracek
Lindblom-Couturier-Farabee
Andreoff-Raffl-Pitlick

Matt Niskanen missing from practice.
Defense pairs in his absence were
Provorov-Hägg
Gostisbehere-Braun
Sanheim-Myers

Bob has a 3.53 gaa and a 882%

Those numbers don't look good to me with the way the Flyers love to make goalies look good.

So the pessimist in me says Flyers get shutout.

@ruxpin

How's that for optimism...

Edited by OccamsRazor
tell me I'm wrong
  • Like 1

God I hate Keith Yandle , i wish Myers had opened him up. 

Huberdeau was acting like a punk though so f him too.

The Panthers are pretty good and have been a nightmare for the Flyers lately.

Why havent the cats been better with all this talent?

• Like 2

Wow wasn't aware that 5 of Sanheim's 13 career goals are vs Bob...wow.

Raffl and Niskanen finish -3 each...

Farabee zero shots on goal. Ghost zero shots on goal.

Interesting Niskanen leads the team in hits so far this year....or sad.

Jake and JVR have 9 hits on the season...SHOCKER!!!!

Will Flyers ever get a regulation win again?

Edited by OccamsRazor

It would be nice to see any of our veteran leaders step up and contribute. Anyone, really. 

Notice that TK shift towards the end when he was out and made a few really strong play on the boards and initiated physical contact?

Why don't they play like that all the time? I've never seen so many guys peel away from players and checks. Passive hockey from the team.

Hart was not good, but the team didn't really help him either. Jake, JVR and Hayes were especially ineffective when you consider the talent on that line. 

Anyway, work in progress, but super frustrating. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, brelic said:

Notice that TK shift towards the end when he was out and made a few really strong play on the boards and initiated physical contact?

I stopped watching after they yanked Hart.

35 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes it has been an issue for a while and I as well as a few other have mentioned it before it is lacking.

You can play physical without having to blow guys up and try to make Sportscenter every night.

But they don't do it.

They don't know how to grind the other team down by finishing their checks that can take a toll by the 3rd period. But they don't know anything about that.

They seem to be the ones who are always getting ground down by the physicality from the opposition.

As I said a post or two back JVR and Jake in 21 games have a measly 9 hits a piece.

Unacceptable.

Just a soft group from top to bottom.

The only you fix this is to find replacements.

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bob has a 3.53 gaa and a 882%

Those numbers don't look good to me with the way the Flyers love to make goalies look good.

So the pessimist in me says Flyers get shutout.

@ruxpin

How's that for optimism...

Well it wasn't a shutout but very close.

But comes in with a 882%

And walks out with a 946% for the game.

Very very sad.

this is on hextall for not bringing the kids up last year because they could have built chemistry going into this year and av wouldnt have to worry about who plays who on this team he even said that, it seems like fans arent listening to him and expecting cup contenders on the bat, that's why the canes and islanders arent struggling because they already have a team in place when the coaches signed on their teams, this team however is not the canes and islanders. that's why my expectations are not very high.

it wouldnt matter what coach comes on this team, it would be the same result because it's not a completed team, fans that are complaining have their expectations too high because of the rookies, well, the rookies have to find chemistry with other players, that's why this team is up and down. they are not vets, it takes time. if want to blame the coach for everything, that's your issue because you just dont get it.

i still expect this team to make the playoffs and next year assuming everyone is still here and healthy with experience under av's tenture will probably make a big jump, make the playoffs and will be a contender.

34 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

it seems like fans arent listening to him and expecting cup contenders on the bat

Not sure where you get that I can't recall anyone saying this is a cup contenders at all.

Now there are many varying different opinions on this team but certainly I haven't seen anyone saying they expect that in fact most of us joke about them being 2 or 3 away from being 2 or 3 years away.

Alot of the issues with this is they have what 10 players 24 or younger and the vets on the team are not showing up.

That is a down right disaster which we are seeing.

AV seems to have a pulse on this team.

He seems to be given these guys every chance to fix this before some extreme changes take place I think like for example moving guys to other teams that are not fitting in or showing the are part of the solution.

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure where you get that I can't recall anyone saying this is a cup contenders at all.

Now there are many varying different opinions on this team but certainly I haven't seen anyone saying they expect that in fact most of us joke about them being 2 or 3 away from being 2 or 3 years away.

Alot of the issues with this is they have what 10 players 24 or younger and the vets on the team are not showing up.

That is a down right disaster which we are seeing.

AV seems to have a pulse on this team.

He seems to be given these guys every chance to fix this before some extreme changes take place I think like for example moving guys to other teams that are not fitting in or showing the are part of the solution.

alot of fans on twitter are calling out the coaches and hart, that's why im saying about the contending part. i think the biggest problem is that hextall should have played the young players last year because at least they would have experience and chemistry under their belts going into this year with a different coach and maybe they would play at a high level. i mean no great coach with this massive roster turnover is going to make them a contender in the first year, there's too much inexperience.

this year is going to more of a building year for the young players and next year they will dominate.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

They don't know how to grind the other team down by finishing their checks that can take a toll by the 3rd period. But they don't know anything about that.

They seem to be the ones who are always getting ground down by the physicality from the opposition.

As I said a post or two back JVR and Jake in 21 games have a measly 9 hits a piece.

Unacceptable.

Just a soft group from top to bottom.

Think about the leaders on this team. G, Jake, JVR, Coots, Ghost. 

All of them soft as tissue paper. 

Like you say, you don't need to make the highlight reels every night for destroying a player with a hit, but you have to WANT the effin puck and go get it. They seem like they could go either way on the wanting the puck thing.

G and Coots are better than the other 3.

That's who our young guys are learning from.

• Like 2