Game 31: Flyers at Avalanche 12/11/19 at 9 pm

OccamsRazor

Well i hope the team has a chance to rest up and get some good practice in a very tough test coming up this week to start the 3 game road stretch.

The Avs...who are the 2nd best team in the West who just beat the Bruins to win their 6th in a row. They are 8-2-0 in their last 10.

I fully expect the Flyers to be ready and up for this challenge. They too are playing some good hockey. 7-2-1 in their last 10.

Avs have one more game to play vs the Flames before the square off vs the Flyers. It's where i'm a little concerned with the Flyers being rested and having to fly out west.

I hope they don't come out and not have their legs...can't afford to come out and fall behind against this club.

They must keep the pedal to the floor Pens are right behind them by only 1 point...no room for error here. I want to see them hold onto the 3rd spot in the Metro.

Canes are only 2 points back as well keep that spot. A regulation win will do just that. I hope TK can play it will hurt to not have him.

Scotty has been a force since he has come back...his finger being hut still is the only reason he didn't drop the gloves.

Laughton has four goals in his last six contests and the Flyers are 6-1-1 since his return following a 13-game absence because of the finger injury.

It's good to see the PK (6th) going well but i am concerned with the power play it has to find a away to get going.

They started the season off so well at one point the  6th best PP in the NHL.

But now they have slide all the way to 20th and free falling. I expect AV to tinker with this on these days off.

It is good to see they are the top face off team at 54.3%. 3rd best at shots against 28.9 per game.

12th at goals for. 24th for goals against. Still a lot to get better at.

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's good to see the PK (6th) going well but i am concerned with the power play it has to find a away to get going.

They started the season off so well at one point the  6th best PP in the NHL.

But now they have slide all the way to 20th and free falling. I expect AV to tinker with this on these days off.

It is good to see they are the top face off team at 54.3%. 3rd best at shots against 28.9 per game.

12th at goals for. 24th for goals against. Still a lot to get better at.

Removing JVR from the PP will help. He's only there to try to get him going, basically sacrificing the PP to that purpose. That can't continue forever. Get some young, energetic skill out there.

• Like 1

We haven't played well against this team historically, particularly in the Mile High City:

https://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Colorado_Avalanche

AV will have to figure out how to slow them down in the neutral zone, otherwise we face a lot of pressure and get bottled up in our own zone.   McDavid is a beast and thorn in our side.  

It's looking like Pitlick on the top line or it was the last practice.

28 Claude Giroux - 48 Morgan Frost - 18 Tyler Pitlick
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 49 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Roberg Hägg

79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott

Hard to replace what TK brings to the lineup.

Montreal heard my complaints in the shoutbox last night to help the Flyers out. And they said sure...dispatched the Pens 4-1.

Canes are tied with Flyers with 39 points but the Flyers have a game in hand. So no room for error.

It would be nice to get the 2 points tonight.

Good to read the players get it...about playing.

“Everybody is playing great right now and you can see we’re winning a lot of games too,” Hägg said. “It’s a luxury problem to have, I guess. It is what it is. That’s the kind of mindset I have. I know I’ve been playing good when I have the opportunity and the only thing I can focus on is being even better. Of course I want to play every single game but everybody’s playing good and we’re a top team in the league. Can’t complain about that.”

I hope Myers gets his back issue resolved hate to see such a young kid already having back issues.

ECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 49 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Roberg Hägg

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Lindblom, Couturier, Voracek, Gostisbehere
Power Play 2: Hayes, Frost, JVR, Provorov, Niskanen

Scratches: 5 Phil Myers (back spasms, day-to-day), 11 Travis Konecny (concussion, indefinite), 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL)
LTIR: 12 Michael Raffl (broken right pinky finger), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

AVALANCHE

92 Gabriel Landeskog - 29 Nathan MacKinnon - 96 Mikko Rantanen
95 Andre Burakovsky - 91 Nazem Kadri - 72 Joonas Donskoi
11 Matt Calvert - 41 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 13 Valeri Nichushkin
83 Matt Nieto - 17 Tyson Jost - 81 Vladislav Kamenev

Defensemen
16 Nikita Zadorov - 49 Samuel Girard
27 Ryan Graves - 28 Ian Cole
48 Calle Rosen - 44 Mark Barberio

31 Philipp Grubauer
[39 Pavel Francouz]

Power Play 1: MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Donskoi, Girard
Power Play 2: Kadri, Burakovsky, Nichuskin, Compher, Cole

Scratches: 37 J.T. Compher (healthy), 8 Cale Makar (upper body)
Injured: 6 Erik Johnson (lower body), 22 Colin Wilson (lower body)

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Wow

36 minutes ago, intheslot said:

This was almost as big a "Wow" to me.

I think I would have at least tried JVR up there for a period or two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This was almost as big a "Wow" to me.

I think I would have at least tried JVR up there for a period or two.

I read from the bottom up so didn't even get to it. Still recovering from seeing the 4th line.

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

Pitlick= earned his playing time 

He has. He's been damn good in my opinion in 4th line minutes. I like his speed, his puck pursuit, he's on the right side of the puck most of the time. I have no problem with him being there. Skill wise, he's a good fit for G and Frosty. You need a mix.

When's the last time he has ever played on a line with any skill? Maybe a bit in Dallas but mostly never.

I hope he pots a few and gets in a fight.

Edited by Podein25

Bill said JVR plays exclusively the left side.

Giroux didn't want to move off the LW spot on the top line so they moved Pitlick up and JVR tools on the 4th.

It would be interesting to see Kase get a game instead Stewart.

But I guess they will roll with the vet.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

David Kase got called up and is available for the game tonight, though not sure he will get in.

Interesting. He's not exactly torn it up with the Phantoms, but they must be liking what they see in his overall game, and probably his versatility,  to get the call up. If your NAK, on the other hand, you have to be asking yourself some important questions. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Interesting. He's not exactly torn it up with the Phantoms, but they must be liking what they see in his overall game, and probably his versatility,  to get the call up. If your NAK, on the other hand, you have to be asking yourself some important questions. 

Yes, he's apparently a very tenacious, hard-working player. I'd prefer him over Stewart any day, and that's without even seeing him play!

NAK, meanwhile, was a healthy scratch on a severely depleted Phantoms team, so there's that. I think it's probably safe to say he will never be a regular NHL player. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

NAK, meanwhile, was a healthy scratch on a severely depleted Phantoms team, so there's that. I think it's probably safe to say he will never be a regular NHL player. 

I didn't know that. He was always a borderline 'tweener, but that, that's the kiss of death.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

If your NAK, on the other hand, you have to be asking yourself some important questions. 

Oh, is NAK healthy? If that's the case, then yeah, he's got to be working on his resume.

EDIT:   Yeah, apparently is healthy.  I don't know why I thought he was injured.   Interesting.

Edited by ruxpin

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Great no TK or Lindblom....that's a loss.

Please Flyers prove me wrong...

It's a loss no matter how you slice it. So both Vorobyiev and Kase in the lineup. The key is McKinnon: can Coots shut him down?