Game 32: Flyers at Wild; 12/14/19 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

We are favored.  That said, The Wild are playing good hockey of late:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/12-14-2019/philadelphia-flyers-vs-minnesota-wild-prediction-8150/

They give up a lot of goals.  But we are missing our top two scorers.  I hope the team psyche isn't impacted by the Lindblom news.  

Win this one for Lindblom...

View image on Twitter

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 49 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 48 Morgan Frost - 18 Tyler Pitlick
72 David Kase - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 5 Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart / 37 Brian Elliott

Power Play 1: Giroux, Farabee, Couturier, Voracek, Gostisbehere
Power Play 2: Hayes, Frost, JVR, Provorov, Niskanen

Scratches: 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 11 Travis Konecny (concussion, indefinite), 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season).
LTIR: 12 Michael Raffl (broken right pinky finger), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

WILD

16 Jason Zucker - 12 Eric Staal - 36 Mats Zuccarello
11 Zach Parise - 6 Ryan Donato - 22 Kevin Fiala
18 Jordan Greenway - 14 Joel Eriksson Ek - 19 Luke Kunin
17 Marcus Foligno - 49 Victor Rask - 38 Ryan Hartman

20 Ryan Suter - 24 Matt Dumba
21 Carson Soucy - 25 Jonas Brodin
61 Brennan Menell - 77 Brad Hunt

31 Kaapo Kahkonen
[32 Alex Stalock]

Power Play 1: Zucker, Staal, Zuccarello, Suter, Dumba
Power Play 2: Parise, Donato, Fiala, Menell, Hunt

Scratches:55 Nick Seeler (healthy)
Injured reserve: 9 Mikko Koivu (lower body, Dec. 2), 29 Greg Pateryn (bilateral core muscle tear), 46 Jared Spurgeon (broken hand, Dec. 4).
Personal leave: 40 Devan Dubnyk (spouse medical issue)

Get well kid.

• Like 1

All depends on which Wild team shows up...
The one that all pull in the same direction and put in a full 60 minute effort....especially when the young core is going strong? If so, then the Flyers are in for a tough game.

Or is it the version of the Wild that plays haphazardly, puts in a fantastic 40 minutes, then falls asleep for 20? If so, then the Flyers, even without TK and OL should be able to make a dent in their defense....particularly with "Cowboy" Alex Stalock slinging pucks all over the defensive zone and playing like he is the next coming of Martin Brodeur The Assist Man.

Minnesota has been so topsy turvy this year that I really don't know which one will show up.

Flyers' star players just gotta play like it. Bottom line.
I know Sean Couturier will give his all, Giroux, you know, for all the flack he gets, puts in good efforts game after game.....

Guys like Voracek, JVR, Hayes.....they need to bring it. No brain lapses, no lack of hustle, no excuses.

From the defense, guys just need to play smart.
Wild forwards aren't exactly going to light people up on a nightly basis, but if you play defense like you are in practice mode, they can and will put a few past your goalie.

Coverage will be key for The Fly...give Wild shooters the worst possible scoring chances as Minnesota really doesn't have a Grade A sniper type that will put away shots with just a bit of daylight.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Guys like Voracek, JVR, Hayes.....they need to bring it.

This the main thing......but i want to see Farabee and Frost contribute some more as well.

And all the skaters can do their part to help Hart out...if they all play as hard as he does they will be fine.

The Flyers will be playing for more than just two points Saturday night.

They'll be playing for Oskar Lindblom, their teammate who was diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma. The news was announced Friday and has been followed by an outpouring of support for the 23-year-old

As they back Lindblom, the Flyers will try to move forward. Since the start of November, they've done a pretty good job of not leaving games empty-handed. The Flyers have earned at least a point in 16 of their last 20 contests, going 12-4-4.

On Saturday, the Flyers (17-9-5) will try to get back into the points column when they visit the Wild (15-12-5).

With head coach Alain Vigneault's constant emphasis on structure and possession, the Flyers have given themselves a chance most nights.

A positive for Vigneault and company heading into the matchup with the Wild: The Flyers are tied for second in the NHL with the fewest shots allowed per game (28.8), while Minnesota puts up the second-fewest shots per game (28.6).

The Flyers have a good chance to play on their terms tonight.

• Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher and assistant general manager Brent Flahr are back in their old stomping grounds.

Fletcher was the GM of the Wild from 2009 to 2018 and Flahr was his AGM from 2010 to 2018.

Fletcher's challenge in Philadelphia was similar to the one he faced in Minnesota and here's how he fared

he Wild have played the fewest home games in the NHL (12) and the most on the road (20). Minnesota is 8-1-3 at home and 11-3-4 overall since Nov. 5 following a 4-9-1 start.

Edited by intheslot
added letters

hate to say it but this is what are going to see for the rest of the year, win some, lose some, we are not even close to winning a cup. heck if they dont make the playoffs, i think they are going to changes that fans arent going to like. jake, giroux, jvr, maybe some young players going back to the phantoms.

getting rid of the coaches isnt going to fix this problem.

Edited by tucson83

4 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Marks for Farabee for throwing down but he got clobbered.

It's going to happen when one guy weighs 180 and the other 225....i applaud him to but someone like Stewart should have settled it.

I guess it was heat of the moment, he wasn't thinking it through it happens when you see ya teammate get wronged...some more Flyers could learn from his example...you don't have to fight but you can take a number and make sure you finish your checks hard next time you get a chance...

Edited by OccamsRazor

Farabee fighting Folgno is ridiculous. I’ve said it 100 times and I will say it again, we need a big minutes player with size and toughness to stand up for our guys. We have an 19 yr  old 170 lb rookie  who never fought in his life taking on Foligno, imagine if Farabee got a concussion in the fight.  We need some everyday  players like Simmonds and  Hartnell not  a guy like Stewart who plays a few shifts. You wait and see a few more situations like this and a trade will be made.

30 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Pitlick and Laughton

Wow i see they both played only about 5 minutes total a piece.

Hard to play with only 10 forwards for 55 minutes and of the 10 4 of them are 22 or younger.

Not sure how bad they are hurt or how they replace those guys. It sucks the are headed for a 3 game slide or more.