Game 32: Flyers at Jets 12/15/19 at 5 PM

OccamsRazor

The Flyers are in real trouble here. They just don't have enough NHL talent. 

Take out TK, Lindblom, Laughton, Raffl, and Pitlick.

Replace them with Twarynski, Vorobyev, NAK, Kase, and Stewart. 

Results are not going to be positive.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brelic said:

The Flyers are in real trouble here. They just don't have enough NHL talent. 

Take out TK, Lindblom, Laughton, Raffl, and Pitlick.

Replace them with Twarynski, Vorobyev, NAK, Kase, and Stewart. 

Results are not going to be positive.

And our so called leaders G and Vorachoke didn't do a damn thing. Neither of them play with enough fire and step up when the chips are down .Since Lindblom went down and they dedicated the season to him, what have they done? They went pointless . Thank God they didnt promise a sick kid they would score a goal for him. We used to have guys that stepped up when the going got tough, Poulin, Sutter, Clarke, Tocchet ,Pronger ,etc. Now we have guys that keep saying we gotta find ways to win, etc. Ive been heqring it for years.

Edited by RonJeremy

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

And our so called leaders G and Vorachoke didn't do a damn thing. Neither of them play with enough fire and step up when the chips are down .Since Lindblom went down and they dedicated the season to him, what have they done? They went pointless . Thank God they didnt promise a sick kid they would score a goal for him. We used to have guys that stepped up when the going got tough, Poulin, Sutter, Clarke, Tocchet ,Pronger ,etc. Now we have guys that keep saying we gotta find ways to win, etc. Ive been heqring it for years.

Sure, but 6 of the 12 forwards are rookies. And not very good ones. Farabee and Frost *will* be good, but they've hit a bit of a rookie wall and make a lot of mistakes. Farabee made a poor decision last night, and that took the wind out of the Flyers' sails, who had just scored and had some momentum. 

I'd challenge any NHL team to take out 6 regulars - including their top scorer and top point getter - and dress 6 rookies (4 of them no better than career 4th liners) instead, and somehow not miss a beat. 

We're as close to 6th in the Metro as 4th (and the 6th place Rags are 3 pts behind with a game in hand). 

The season isn't over by any stretch... but they need some healthy NHL bodies back soon. Sure, our stars need to step up, but also, they need competent players for the other 40 minute of the game.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So why keep them?

I agree, we have to hope that some top playoff team loses a key player to injury and is desperate enough to take JVR or Voracek off our hands. We may have to eat some salary but it’s imperative to dump two of the four big contracts we have. I would even see what teams might offer for Giroux. Montreal has been dying for a homegrown player ever since they passed on Dennis Savard years ago. 

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I agree, we have to hope that some top playoff team loses a key player to injury and is desperate enough to take JVR or Voracek off our hands.

Well looking at the salary cap on capfriendly you are limited to how many teams might even be willing to take on a contract like JVR or Voracek's....but who know maybe Chuckles can pull something off.

TEAM   ROSTER SIZE CONTRACTS Tooltip INJURIES   PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip
Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings
Daily Tracker
  23/23 47/50
LTIR
  $79,737,694 $1,763,826 $12,102,086 LTIR
Columbus Blue JacketsColumbus Blue Jackets
Daily Tracker
  23/23 47/50
  $75,146,082 $6,353,918 $10,647,106
New York IslandersNew York Islanders
Daily Tracker
  22/23 48/50
  $75,499,829 $6,000,171 $10,054,341
Colorado AvalancheColorado Avalanche
Daily Tracker
  22/23 45/50
  $75,553,820 $5,946,180 $9,963,869
Winnipeg JetsWinnipeg Jets
Daily Tracker
  22/23 44/50
  $75,615,690 $5,884,310 $9,860,195
Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
Daily Tracker
  23/23 48/50
  $76,142,695 $5,357,305 $8,977,106
Los Angeles KingsLos Angeles Kings
Daily Tracker
  23/23 46/50
  $76,744,952 $4,755,048 $7,967,918
New Jersey DevilsNew Jersey Devils
Daily Tracker
  22/23 45/50
  $77,213,575 $4,286,425 $7,182,658
Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens
Daily Tracker
  22/23 47/50
  $77,290,175 $4,209,825 $7,054,301

So i would be ok with moving either of them and not even worried about what would come back the Flyers way more about just a salary dump.

So who would take the bait???

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

Sure, but 6 of the 12 forwards are rookies. And not very good ones. Farabee and Frost *will* be good, but they've hit a bit of a rookie wall and make a lot of mistakes. Farabee made a poor decision last night, and that took the wind out of the Flyers' sails, who had just scored and had some momentum. 

I'd challenge any NHL team to take out 6 regulars - including their top scorer and top point getter - and dress 6 rookies (4 of them no better than career 4th liners) instead, and somehow not miss a beat. 

We're as close to 6th in the Metro as 4th (and the 6th place Rags are 3 pts behind with a game in hand). 

The season isn't over by any stretch... but they need some healthy NHL bodies back soon. Sure, our stars need to step up, but also, they need competent players for the other 40 minute of the game.

I agree with what your saying, we do have lots of young players who will have ups and downs and are a few years away from being a consistent factor and losing TK and Lindblom your two most consistent scorers is a killer. The thing that we have to face as Flyers fans is, the nucleus of this team has been G and Voracek for the last 9 years or so and it’s obvious they are not suited to be the leaders of this team and I don’t think we are ever going to win anything with those two guys. If we had a couple of true leaders to take the pressure off those guys , I think they would be better players. They do not have the personality type to be leaders.You can’t turn Private Pyle into a drill Sargent. JVR is another mentally soft player who is just too laid back to ever be a factor . We have too many guys that lose confidence and no one to really get them on track. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, brelic said:

Farabee and Frost *will* be good

So i have to ask (and i know this will stir up the boards this morning) would you trade a kid and a big contract for Taylor Hall??

Just for example...

JVR

Travis Sanheim

2020 1st

for 

Taylor Hall

????

Or just stay put and ride this thing out....or target another player??

Asking for a friend.

21 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We have too many guys that lose confidence and no one to really get them on track. 

I agree i am ready to move on from the core players...except Coots....he would be my new Captain after we move the current one.

I would be will to send Claude home with his new born on the way for the right return back from the Senators. What would that be?

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree i am ready to move on from the core players...except Coots....he would be my new Captain after we move the current one.

I would be will to send Claude home with his new born on the way for the right return back from the Senators. What would that be?

How about G to Montreal for Poehling, Domi and a pick

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So i have to ask (and i know this will stir up the boards this morning) would you trade a kid and a big contract for Taylor Hall??

Just for example...

JVR

Travis Sanheim

2020 1st

for 

Taylor Hall

????

Asking for a friend.

I don't know, it's hard to say. 

There's so much uncertainty around Patrick and Lindblom. 

Patrick might play this year, but it's looking less and less likely as time goes on. 

Lindblom, I hope he beats this. If he does and comes back to hockey, I'd guess right now that it's not before the 2021-2022 season. 

So does it make sense to trade solid assets and give Hall a 7 year contract? He will be 29 early next season, so he'd be on the books at probably $9.5M or so until he's 36.  Doesn't feel like the smart move to me, but what do I know?

Maybe Hoffman, if you can get him cheaper and for 5 years or less.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

So does it make sense to trade solid assets and give Hall a 7 year contract? He will be 29 early next season, so he'd be on the books at probably $9.5M or so until he's 36.  Doesn't feel like the smart move to me, but what do I know?

Yeah it is a risky move.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

I have lobbied for him since early in the season when it was rumored he was on the block.

Haven't seen much mention of him lately. I would trade Ghost and something for him.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone

3 hours ago, brelic said:

I've been a Hoffman guy, with the exception of whatever idiocy went on in Ottawa there at the end.

But he does concern me. It's not as if he doesn't have a bunch of skill to play with in Florida on offense; yet, he's not having a particularly good season.  Not horrible, mind you, but he should be better I think.   I'd kick the tires and see what it takes.

Hall is a no for me for the reasons you stated.   I was kind of leaning toward "go for it," but you talked me out of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just for example...

JVR

Travis Sanheim

2020 1st

for 

Taylor Hall

There's something cancerous about Hall.

He was, by some accounts, the chief protagonist in aiding and abetting a culture of losing in Edmonton (e.g., stories of him leading the charge to the bar for a night of drinking following a 5th straight loss - that kind of thing).

UFA status and a badly performing NJ team may not be the only reasons NJ is shopping him. 

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just for example...

JVR

Travis Sanheim

2020 1st

for 

Taylor Hall

????

Asking for a friend.

I'd do that....if you take out Sanheim and the 1st. Then I'd sell Hall off to the highest bidder.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

There's something cancerous about Hall.

He was, by some accounts, the chief protagonist in aiding and abetting a culture of losing in Edmonton (e.g., stories of him leading the charge to the bar for a night of drinking following a 5th straight loss - that kind of thing).

UFA status and a badly performing NJ team may not be the only reasons NJ is shopping him. 

Though he is quite good at getting his team the 1st overall pick year in and year out. Alexis Lafreniere? There's no way in hell I'm giving him the contract Bre mentioned...but I'd trade BOTH the floater brothers for him just for this season if it guaranteed Lafreniere. Heck, if it guaranteed Byfield I'd do it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Though he is quite good at getting his team the 1st overall pick year in and year out. Alexis Lafreniere? There's no way in hell I'm giving him the contract Bre mentioned...but I'd trade BOTH the floater brothers for him just for this season if it guaranteed Lafreniere. Heck, if it guaranteed Byfield I'd do it.

It's hard to argue with that.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just for example...

JVR

Travis Sanheim

2020 1st

for 

Taylor Hall

????

Asking for a friend.

Hall just went to the Yotes, so that trade won't work.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Haha 1