Game 57: Flyers at Islanders; 2/11/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

This is a matchup of two fairly equal teams.  Of late, the Isles have played well against us.  I agree with this pundit that home edge may matter if legs get tired late in the second of back-to-backs.

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2020/02/11/new-york-islanders-vs-philadelphia-flyers-2/11/20-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

Every point counts.  

LGF

• Like 1

Very interested in watching this one tonight.

I want to see if this bunch can rise to the occasion...3rd seed into the Metro is on the line and there for the taking.

Both teams coming off big wins. The only disadvantage is the Flyers have to travel. I hope Elliott is up for the task.

Elliott 14-6-0-4 2.86 901% 2 shutouts

Varlamov 16-9-0-4 2.58 915% 2 shutouts

I figure these two will be the difference. We'll see who comes out on top.

The Battle of the Metro

FLYERS (based on Monday's Lineup)

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 48 Morgan Frost - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

37 Brian Elliott
[79 Carter Hart]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: JVR, Hayes, Frost, Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (knee), 49 Joel Farabee (illness, could return).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

ISLANDERS

27 Anders Lee - 13 Mathew Barzal - 7 Jordan Eberle
18 Anthony Beauvillier - 29 Brock Nelson -12 Josh Bailey
32 Ross Johnston - 10 Derick Brassard - 28 Michael Dal Colle
17 Matt Martin- 53 Casey Cizikas - 47 Leo Komarov

25 Devon Toews - 6 Ryan Pulock
2 Nick Leddy - 55 Johnny Boychuk
8 Noah Dobson - 24 Scott Mayfield

40 Semyon Varlamov
[1 Thomas Greiss]

Power Play 1: Lee, Eberle, Nelson, Barzal, Toews
Power Play 2: Bailey, Brassard, Beauvillier, Dobson, Pulock

Scratches: 20 Kieffer Bellows (healthy), 44 Sebastian Aho (healthy), 14 Tom Kühnhackl (healthy).

IR: 3 Adam Pelech (Achilles tendon tear, out for season), 15 Cal Clutterbuck (wrist).

AV said Farabee might be a go today. If he does who would come out Frost or Bunnaman??

Guess we'll see. I give Frost the edge for his skillset and face off ability.

How is Koneckny playing today ?

That dude could barely skate at the end of the game last night, 5 blocked shots, and dudes were working him in the neutral zone.

Tough kid, I hope he's effetive. 

I hate the Islanders so I'm hoping the Flyers beat them and kiss their girlfriends in front of them. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

AV said Farabee might be a go today. If he does who would come out Frost or Bunnaman??

Guess we'll see. I give Frost the edge for his skillset and face off ability.

Honestly, I'd give Farabee another day (2) off.  Let him be 100%.   I think a healthy Frost >= 90% Farabee.    I know I'm in the minority on Farabee but at 100% I don't think a he provides much more than Frost.   

You could slide Frost down and bump Bunnaman but I don't like Frost on the 4th line.  Plus, they finally have a 4th line playing decent.  Best to leave that line alone for now.  

If AV's reading this, my vote is for Farabee to sit and get 100%.

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

Honestly, I'd give Farabee another day (2) off.  Let him be 100%.   I think a healthy Frost >= 90% Farabee.    I know I'm in the minority on Farabee but at 100% I don't think a he provides much more than Frost.   

You could slide Frost down and bump Bunnaman but I don't like Frost on the 4th line.  Plus, they finally have a 4th line playing decent.  Best to leave that line alone for now.  

If AV's reading this, my vote is for Farabee to sit and get 100%.

I would be fine with giving Farabee another day or two off if he isn't 100% because they need him at 100% if they plan on doing something they haven't done yet this year.....and that is beat the Isles...they are 0-1-1 in their only two meetings they need the win now.

5 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I'm so done with Elliott.....

Yeah he cost them 2 points tonight....they fought back and he killed them.

...not even a point....sucks...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I'm so done with Elliott.....

They need to find another backup for Hart next year....i have seen enough of Brian to know that is the guy you will get when you need him the most...ask the Flames.

• Like 2

JVR the lazy floater doesnt cover the point man, with a canon shot, leaves him wide open to walk in and blast, cost us the game. Our PP is so telegraphed its practically in slow motion, theres no movement, no rotation. I think NAK deserves a shot on the PP, he has a great shot and is one of the best passers on this team. He also shows great hockey sense , unlike many of our regular PP guys. 

46 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

JVR the lazy floater doesn't cover the point man, with a canon shot, leaves him wide open to walk in and blast, cost us the game

He got in the lane the shot just barely got around him Elliott has to stop that period....and he didn't he wasn't very sharp tonight.

Varlamov gave his team a chance and the Flyer's goalie didn't. The need to ride Hart as much as they can from here on out.

They need to forget this one and get ready to face the Panthers thursday.

Lightning will be on deck saturday. Two days and then back home to face the Blue Jackets tuesday. This isn't getting any easier.

I hope Hart is ready to basically play every game till probably March 4th the next back to back set of games Caps then Canes.

YOWZA!!!!!!!

JVR got in the lane , but he should  have been out at the point in the lane, not in front of the goalie.  Pulock had all sorts of room  to wind up and walk in 20 feet and blast.  If JVR blocked the shot with his head it would have been a good move on his part.

13 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

Was at the game tonight. Elliot should have had at least two of those, particularly the 4th goal. I went down to the manhattan bridge afterward and jumped off a killed myself. 

My condolences.

From the reports on the news Elliott was there to catch you but you just got by him....more news at 11.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At least the Stars beat the Canes 4-1.

I guess it's looking like winning a chance vs Capitals or Bruins in the first round even if they make the playoffs...3 points behind the Isles and they have two games in hand the Flyers will now need a miracle to catch them.

Edited by OccamsRazor

9 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

JVR got in the lane , but he should  have been out at the point in the lane, not in front of the goalie.  Pulock had all sorts of room  to wind up and walk in 20 feet and blast.  If JVR blocked the shot with his head it would have been a good move on his part.

Are you suggesting that JVR may not be what some of us call "a good hockey player"?

• Like 1