Is a 24 Team Playoffs in the NHL's Future?

hf101

Should the NHL continue with a 24 Team Playoff format in the future permanently?  I think it is something to definitely think about. 

The NHL has used a 16-team playoff format since the 1979-80 campaign when there were only 21 franchises.   Expansion to 32 teams seems like something to consider considering the parity in the league.   I would think that this would be favorable to the league, owners, players and fans.   What are your thoughts?

"I think the league is so tight and the league has grown over my time in the league with the number of teams, it should be a heavy consideration," Trotz said Thursday, per Newsday's Andrew Gross.

"There’s too much parity in the NHL," Trotz added. "I think it’s something the league will consider for sure and I’d be in favor of it."

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1997670/trotz-in-favor-of-permanent-24-team-playoff

Though I understand your POV and thought process I have a hard time accepting the fact that ~75% of the teams make post season play.

I accept it this year because of the unusual circumstances. 

The regular season becomes essentially irrelevant. Look at the Bruins in a normal season they earn the #1 seed. Now in the round  robin they are one game away from being the #4 seed.

Again for this season I totally get it and it is different. However moving forward I just can’t support this type of playoff system in future seasons.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Should the NHL continue with a 24 Team Playoff format in the future permanently?

No it's already the hardest trophy to win no since in adding more wear and tear from the current format.

They have needed some ramp up time in a normal situation where they have to play a whole 82 game season it would be too much.

But if was to be another shortened season where they all don't get to play the same amount of games then i would ok with this format again.

Otherwise keep it the way it has been since 79-80 then.

Anyways i have had to much to drink it was just waaaay to hard to type all that.

Later Go Flyers!!! #cuporbust

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Look at the Bruins in a normal season they earn the #1 seed.

Not really or are you pro rating like Matthew's 50 goal season....

...otherwise just like his 50 goals it never happened because they didn't finish.

• Haha 1

Yeah, no to expanding an already long tournament. You're going to be pushing towards July at that point. This is actually working for me as a compromise given the way the season ended, but I wouldn't want to see it in a normal year.

• Like 4

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Not really or are you pro rating like Matthew's 50 goal season....

Ha! Ha! Touché :) ....,

ok lets me refrain... it looked like they were going to earn the #1 spot... but you get my point.

• Like 1

My suggestion: going with a 20-team format.

• The top-3 teams in each division earn a play-off spot, same a usual.
  • Then I'd go with 4 WC spots. You add a wild-card round with #7-#10 and #8-#9 best-of-5 match-ups in each conference. Each division winner faces the WC round winner, with the lowest WC seed meeting the conference champion, and the highest WC seed meeting the second one (the other division winner)
  • Then, business as usual with an already built bracket.

That would have the advantage of bringing on more teams and strengthen the playoffs race with more teams involved. Moreover, you don't make huge changes to the current format.

With the number of teams up to 32 and the OT loser point, it's possible to reach like 96-97 points with 40+ wins and still miss the playoffs, while it was possible to enter them with a losing record in the early 90's. A little tweak would be good in that sense.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:12 AM, Villette/Lavaux said:

My suggestion: going with a 20-team format.

• The top-3 teams in each division earn a play-off spot, same a usual.
  • Then I'd go with 4 WC spots. You add a wild-card round with #7-#10 and #8-#9 best-of-5 match-ups in each conference. Each division winner faces the WC round winner, with the lowest WC seed meeting the conference champion, and the highest WC seed meeting the second one (the other division winner)
  • Then, business as usual with an already built bracket.

That would have the advantage of bringing on more teams and strengthen the playoffs race with more teams involved. Moreover, you don't make huge changes to the current format.

With the number of teams up to 32 and the OT loser point, it's possible to reach like 96-97 points with 40+ wins and still miss the playoffs, while it was possible to enter them with a losing record in the early 90's. A little tweak would be good in that sense.

The only problem with that is the wildcard teams would already be in playoff mode by playing that best of 5 series where as the division winner would be sitting around waiting to see who they'd end up playing. Stick with the 16 team playoffs.

• Like 1

I don't care for an expansion to a 24-team playoff.

The NHL (and the NBA for that matter) are already a running joke with people saying "Everyone but the last place team gets into the playoffs!"

While obviously that is a blatant exaggeration, the point made is clear: Enough teams are already getting in.
We need to have the regular season as a showcase where the cream really does rise to the top.

When we had less teams and 16 were getting in, you literally had sub .500 teams getting in as 7th or 8th seeds.
Now that we have MORE teams in the league, that same 16-team tournament seems more solid now because the weaker teams will get pushed even further back, the mediocres and just under .500's will just barely miss the cutoff line and, at the very least, we get bottom seeded teams with a minimum of a .500 record or just above.

That is just right to me.
I DO wish we'd go back to the 1-8 seeded teams in each Conference, however.
I've always felt that was a fair way to judge records of team that were behind the elites in each division....plus offer more variety in playoff matchups.

I know the NHL worries about "rivalries", well, rivalries happen....no one needs to manufacture them.
They will happen naturally without Bettman or anyone else screwing around with the recipe trying to come up with artificial rivalries (looking at YOU Florida vs Tampa Bay....there IS no ^%$#ing rivalry.... :bigteeth: ).

Anyways, the NHL will do what the NHL is gonna do, but for my money, 16 teams in , with the lowest entering in as a .500 club (the way it seemingly has been working out, outside of this half-arsed 2020 season), is just right.
Order me a 1-8 seed in each Conference like the 90's and early 2000's, and I will be a happy camper.

• Like 1

The cup time is usually a bunch of beat up teams tired after an 82 game season, playing to see if they have that extra energy to grit it out in tough playoffs. By the time the playoffs roll around, usually teams are at least sharp.

This is more like an early start to the season. At the start of every season, you get outlier scorers(every year people go "OMG 2 weeks in and this guy is scoring 3 points per game". Kids not used to 82 game seasons come out on fire and blow their energy tanks early in the season and slow down by the 30 game mark. Goalies usually fluctuate early in the seasons because teams are not sharp and practiced in their play.

Yeah, whoever wins this year basically gets a booby prize version of the cup.

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 7:46 PM, hf101 said:

Should the NHL continue with a 24 Team Playoff format in the future permanently?  I think it is something to definitely think about. 

The NHL has used a 16-team playoff format since the 1979-80 campaign when there were only 21 franchises.   Expansion to 32 teams seems like something to consider considering the parity in the league.   I would think that this would be favorable to the league, owners, players and fans.   What are your thoughts?

Which was a joke. The NHL still hasn't grasped the concept of the regular season and WHY teams play those 82 games. All the NHL sees is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.  What they don't understand (but I'm happy to educate them on) is something called SATURATION, PRODUCT DEVALUATION, etc.  The more games you have, the less each individual game is worth from both a $$$ standpoint and from a statistical standpoint. If you play enough games to pass the saturation point, then fans will stop attending/watching certain games because they're meaningless. The NFL understands this, and they're 10x more successful than the NHL ever will be. The NFL plays very few games, but each individual game draws the same money as 20 NHL games. Less is more. The NHL should strongly consider a return to a 70-game regular season schedule and a 16-team playoff format at the most although I'd argue for FEWER teams than 16.  MLB has arguably the perfect system.  

Having a playoff system where everyone gets in makes the regular season meaningless. It's like having a pass/fail grade of 25% instead of 50%. If students graduated from a school needing only 25% to pass each course instead of 50-60%, what does that say about the quality of the graduates? The quality of the school?   

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

He got there.  :ph34r:

#Matthews50GoalSeason

Well so in that case so did Sean Couturier because hey he may have had a hat trick in everyone one of his remaining 13 games and scored 61.

Just sayin...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well so in that case so did Sean Couturier because hey he may have had a hat trick in everyone one of his remaining 13 games and scored 61.

Just sayin...

Are you talking about THIS Sean Couturier?

2019-20 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 69 22 37 59

The Flyers played 69 games (of which Couturier played in ALL of them) and he scored 22 goals. Couturier was on pace to finish with this:

82 GP, 26 G, 44 A, 70 PTS.  

You don't get to alter the pace of the player for the final 10-15 games of the season. That's not how it works. 

If a plane is flying from New York to LA and we examine the location of the plane 3/4 of the way through the flight, the plane will be somewhere over the western United States, it's not going to be over Antarctica. 

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Fixed it for you.....and that is everyone's point.

We know the plane is going to land in LA in one more hour. It's not pretend.  :angel:

Statistically speaking, there's a flight from New York to LA every single day. Every single day it gets there. Could it potentially not make it? Sure. But it's statistically unlikely. Just as it's unlikely that Couturier would have finished the season not scoring another goal or assist in the final dozen games and ridiculously unlikely that he would have scored 60. 

Probability is about what is most likely to happen..... and it's so reliable that we use it for quality control, to predict failures, to evaluate work done, etc.  We'll never know for sure what would have happened but we know using statistics how things were most likely to have played out. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom