How do you feel when your former players win a cup?

yave1964

Flyer fans saw Luke Schenn, Maroon and Coburn win a cup two nights ago.

As a Wings fan, i saw a team built by Yzerman win a cup.

Rangers fans saw Shatty and McDonough, the Jets saw Bogo, the Sharks watched Goodrow.

My question is this,, when a player or players who previously performed for your club win a cup, do you feel good for them or does it make you sick to your stomach watching them lift the cup? Flyer fans specifically, how did you feel watching Hedman hand the cup to Coburn? 

I am usually torn, somewhere between wondering what might have been and mostly being happy for the players involved unless i simply couldnt stand said player even when he was on the Wings.

• Like 1

whatever, man.

usually I don't feel much of anything, I was happy for Rod Brindamore when he won. But for the most part, I am ambivalent. 

I hated seeing Justin Williams and Patrick Sharp be very good to great elsewhere.

Those guys would have been great to have around. 

So those two winning cups pissed me off only because, everyone that watched the Flyers knew they would be players yet Hitch stapled their asses to the bench and then they were dealt for nothing and no one. 

The Schenn's eh, they were serviceable here, Coburn was never the same after his face got broken ...good for them I guess. 

the dude caucasian.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Flyer fans specifically, how did you feel watching Hedman hand the cup to Coburn? 

More indifferent because one well i didn't watch the end or the Cup being handed out in fact I haven't watched that part in a long long time.

However I'm not bitter for the former players.

I know when they played for my Flyers they did the best they could. It's all I can ask for.

So I guess I'm happy for them.

But I would have preferred to se Giroux hoist the Cup instead for Philly.

• Like 1

Depends of the team, I'd say. 

I hated the Bellows-Courtnall trade because Bellows was somehow the franchise player back then and one of my favorite player. When he lifted the cup I was happy for him, but as a Habs hater, yikes !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Depends of the team, I'd say. 

I hated the Bellows-Courtnall trade because Bellows was somehow the franchise player back then and one of my favorite player. When he lifted the cup I was happy for him, but as a Habs hater, yikes !

One that stuck in my mind was Larry Murphy traded to my Wings as the final piece for back to back cups from the Leafs. Toronto almost literally ran him out of town on a rail, they HATED him there for some damn reason, booed him whenever the puck was on his stick. Anyway, he was dealt to Detroit, paired with Lidstrom it was double hall of famer magic, and both years when interviewed in the locker room after the win he ripped Toronto and their fans with a big old grin. I doubt that you can mention his name in Ontario without hearing cursing from anyone who remembers him.

I think i have been lucky in that regards as a Wings fan, nobody comes to mind going back awhile. I remember when we dealt Klima and Joe Murphy to Edmonto as well as Adam Graves, i hated watching Klima and Joe Murphy win cups because both were known headcases in Detroit and career underachievers. I was so high on both and felt let down and truly was pissed they won. Graves, i was happy for him because he was a grinder who gave his all and just kept working his butt off and became a solid top six performer. So for me, it really depends on the player.

For me, it would depend on lots of things.
If he was a favorite of mine that got traded, I would generally be happy for him...even if I didn't care for the team he was on.

I might also feel neither happy nor upset about it if the player was the type I could either take or leave.
Also depends on the personality of the player.

If he is a known dirty, jerk-type player, it would bug me a bit, but then again, I'd probably be glad he was gone from my team anyways.

So, yea, I'd range from "happy for them" to probably "indifferent" as some have put it..... very few would actually bother me.
I look at it this way:
If a player was not that effective in helping my team raise the Cup, but then goes elsewhere and is a 23rd man on a team that does win, well, it WON'T make me feel like we gave up an important piece......just means he was fortunate enough to land somewhere where he could contribute a bit and win, not necessarily be a key part of that team's success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It all depends on who the players are.  In the case of Hasek, I was happy for him.  He earned one. In the case of Andreychuck, not as much

Great post, that is more or less how i feel, it depends upon the player

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but i guess i saw the ultimate...Ray Bourque.

Watched him give everything he had for 20 years as a bruin, then get moved to the avs, and while they did not win the cup that season, adding Rob Blake the next did the trick...

Can't help but have all the feels for Ray...lifting that cup was worth a 20 year wait.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Watched him give everything he had for 20 years as a bruin, then get moved to the avs, and while they did not win the cup that season, adding Rob Blake the next did the trick...

Can't help but have all the feels for Ray...lifting that cup was worth a 20 year wait.

We have another poster, @J0e Th0rnton poster-extrodinaire who would certainly agree with you.....

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, Brewin Flames said:

Not only that, but watching ray for that entire next year with a competent team after years of carrying a 1 line team around was pure gold. Sakic had the best year of his career with Ray behind him.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, yave1964 said:

One that stuck in my mind was Larry Murphy traded to my Wings as the final piece for back to back cups from the Leafs. Toronto almost literally ran him out of town on a rail, they HATED him there for some damn reason, booed him whenever the puck was on his stick.

Because Toronto didn't get the same Larry Murphy that the Red Wings got. He stank here.  :( 

I would say it annoys Leafs fans to see players who coast in Toronto but then elevate their game to enjoy success elsewhere. Larry Murphy was a prime example. Another more recent one was Phil Kessel. 

A surprising number of NHL players win a Stanley Cup immediately after leaving Toronto. Tyler Bozak is another example.