Tony DeAngelo Saga: Where Will It End?

TropicalFruitGirl26

DeAngelo.jpg.792123e1a08cf8b719a50f52da9e7309.jpg

Word out of the Rangers is Tony DeAngelo will be riding the taxi squad following a piss poor performance....both on the ice and tactfully when being called for penalties....just one game into the New York Rangers season.

Thing is, DeAngelo was FAR from the only Ranger having a bad night.
You could look up and down the lineup and find fault with guys not playing to their abilities and that even includes young Shesterkin in net who let goals in he probably should have stopped.

So why would the team single out DeAngelo who is one of their better up n coming defensemen?
Is it his reputation for run ins with officials? Is there a genuine attitude problem with him and authority?
Or are the Rangers' brass overreacting?

Could be one, could be a mixture of any of those things.

For sure, DeAngelo didn't help himself, first for how badly he played on the ice, and secondly, slamming doors in the penalty box which garnered him extra Sin Bin time.

I didn't know much about DeAngelo when the Lightning first drafted him, but I was told by some other knowledgeable fans that he is a bit of a firecracker...and not always in a good way.
But apparently, Steve Yzerman saw enough in him to draft him...... but then traded him to Arizona for just a second round pick.

I thought he would get traction in Arizona (he started to play well), but then gets bounced forward again to the Rangers.
Good thing or bad thing (Arizona didn't want him, but the Rangers did), I am not sure.... but the bottom line was, his skillset was beginning to show on the ice.

Perhaps his reputation or something else happened NOT reported in the media that led to him being relegated to shuttle squad in favor of, get this, Anthony Bitetto!
Yep...the Rangers would rather have Bitetto on the ice right now over DeAngelo....hell, even Jack Johnson, who also played a bad game, seemed immune from any criticism the Rangers may have leveled at their blueline.

I dunno.
Fair or not, I think DeAngelo is at a point in his career (25 yrs old), that he needs to help HIMSELF but keeping his mouth shut, just play hockey, heck, maybe even coming forward himself and taking ownership of any bad play before anyone else points a finger in his direction...even if he isn't the only one playing terribly.

Quit acting like every official is "out to get him"....because eventually, if he continues with the 'attitude', they likely WILL be!

Rangers brass is gonna do what Rangers brass is gonna do.
All DeAngelo can do is play hard and continue to showcase his skills and show not just the Rangers, but every NHL team, that he belongs on an NHL ice sheet.

Maybe the Rangers believed their own hype and the media hype about them being ready to contend (they aren't...far from it), and took the embarrassing loss against the Islanders as a bad time to make an example out of a player like DeAngelo who didn't live up to the billing.

The Isles are a good team. Led by some solid veterans, good young talent themselves, and a masterful coach in Barry Trotz.
If ANY NHL team, even a team like the defending champion Lightning, doesn't show up to play, let alone a still work-in-progress Rangers team, the Isles will take them down, and take them down hard.

I really don't know what to make of the Tony DeAngelo situation.
3rd team now in his very young career....but does that reflect badly on him? Or maybe the Rangers aren't thinking straight right now.

Bitetto? Really??

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
trying to leave politics out of it

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more DeAngelo news....

Drama continues to follow this young man around.
He has now been placed on waivers by the NY Rangers and according to reports, it was because he had some altercation with his own goaltender, Alexander Georgiev in the tunnel leading to the locker room.

From USA Today:
Rangers place controversial defenseman Tony DeAngelo on waivers (usatoday.com)

Wow.
I can only imagine what words were exchanged there!

If any team..ANY of them, has an ace psychologist, and can get into this young defenseman's head, he still can be quite a game changer offensively for anyone willing to pick him up.
When he is focused on hockey, the guy is dangerous.

If someone picks him up, it will be his third team (not counting the two different AHL teams) in just under 4 years in the NHL.

22 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Total douchebag. Racist. Lousy teammate. Wouldn't touch his sorry ass with a 10 metre pole. Hope he ends up in the K where he'll get his ass kicked then whimper home to daddy.

Wow.
That bad, eh?

Are we talking Steve Downie bad?

22 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wow.
That bad, eh?

Are we talking Steve Downie bad?

He's got a history of being racist. To the point he just can't keep his mouth shut. He has a history of being a bad teammate. Word is he hit his goalie. He's also a covid denier (that shows intelligence :eyeroll:)  And as a defenceman  he makes Ghost look like Rod Langway defensively.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

He's got a history of being racist. To the point he just can't keep his mouth shut. He has a history of being a bad teammate. Word is he hit his goalie. He's also a covid denier (that shows intelligence :eyeroll:) Throw in his love of Trump (sorry but that's not a plus IMO) And as a defenceman  he makes Ghost look like Rod Langway defensively.

Well, we will see if someone wants the headache in order to get to the talent that IS there.

I remember several teams giving Steve Downie a chance....and even TB had him for awhile where he was relatively well behaved, but that didn't last long once he found his way to Colorado and had some altercations with Landeskog over there.
Turns out, Downie's demons overpowered any talent and chance he had to stay in the NHL.

Will DeAngelo follow that path?
Shame if it did.

I know a bit about his troubled history, but also understand that while some people are just who they are, some can turn things around.

I don't condone ANY of the things you mentioned of course, but from a pure spectator watching him on the ice (defensive coverage aside), the guy is a great motor and can seem to make things move along... Arizona and even New York's PP picked up some steam when he was on it and minding his hockey business.

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, we will see if someone wants the headache in order to get to the talent that IS there.

I remember several teams giving Steve Downie a chance....and even TB had him for awhile where he was relatively well behaved, but that didn't last long once he found his way to Colorado and had some altercations with Landeskog over there.
Turns out, Downie's demons overpowered any talent and chance he had to stay in the NHL.

Will DeAngelo follow that path?
Shame if it did.

I know a bit about his troubled history, but also understand that while some people are just who they are, some can turn things around.

I don't condone ANY of the things you mentioned of course, but from a pure spectator watching him on the ice (defensive coverage aside), the guy is a great motor and can seem to make things move along... Arizona and even New York's PP picked up some steam when he was on it and minding his hockey business.

As good as he is offensively he's an absolute seive defensively. 

And at 25, I'm not sure that tiger will change it's stripes. It's possible, but from everything I've seen and heard about him it sounds like racist is more important to him than NHL.

17 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Pouted because he wanted to play right wing against Washington so he could "storm the Capitals "🤔

He was released for being too much of a man, he also used profanity on the ice , the same name calling that everyone has used on the ice for years. The continued pussification of society.

Edited by pilldoc
editing out the political innuendoes
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

He was released for being too much of a man, he also used profanity on the ice , the same name calling that everyone has used on the ice for years. The continued pussification of society.

Right?  Why, another 10 years on this projection, you're going to have to find another way to stand out.

Edited by pilldoc
edited the quote not the post
  • Like 1

Sports and politics are like your hand and your best friend's penis: distancing should be as large as possible.

That being said, is political opinions a valuable reason to be fired? Definitely not. Being an a*hole is a valuable one? Absolutely.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Math said:

Sports and politics are like your hand and your best friend's penis: distancing should be as large as possible.

That being said, is political opinions a valuable reason to be fired? Definitely not. Being an a*hole is a valuable one? Absolutely.

Calling someone a p u s s y on the ice is not, what’s next , sensitivity training for the players. 

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

His parents must be proud.

Sadly, they probably are.

Sadly, I assume that's where it comes from, in large part. You know, I was a total racist POS growing up white in northern Manitoba, even though I had teammates who were Indigenous. But, the thing is, I evolved as a human being. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Sadly, I assume that's where it comes from, in large part. You know, I was a total racist POS growing up white in northern Manitoba, even though I had teammates who were Indigenous. But, the thing is, I evolved as a human being. 

No one is condoning racism and racial slurs have no place on the ice,  but all other forms of name calling and taunting should be permissible. This whole movement of saying everything is racist is completely out of hand. It’s to the point that if you dare criticize a female or minority politician or members of society ,you are immediately deemed a klansman.  It’s ridiculous.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

It’s to the point that if you dare criticize a female or minority politician or members of society ,you are immediately deemed a klansman.  It’s ridiculous.

What does that have to do with a guy with a long history of being a racist and all around asshole in the lockerroom?

• Like 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

What does that have to do with a guy with a long history of being a racist and all around asshole in the lockerroom?

It has everything to do with it, because the term is over used, if DeAngelo made racist statements, then the team has the right to release him ,but I’m a little tired of what’s going on these days where anyone can make an accusation about another person and without so much as a discussion that person is fired or banned or shunned. If he’ truly is a detriment to the team ,then fine. Or is he a victim of today’s leftist witch hunt that’s going on and being punished for his political beliefs. Being a patriot is far different than being a supremicist.There is a real problem with the double standard... for example why is the term white boy not considered racist?  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

It has everything to do with it, because the term is over used, if DeAngelo made racist statements, then the team has the right to release him ,but I’m a little tired of what’s going on these days where anyone can make an accusation about another person and without so much as a discussion that person is fired or banned or shunned. If he’ truly is a detriment to the team ,then fine. Or is he a victim of today’s leftist witch hunt that’s going on and being punished for his political beliefs. Being a patriot is far different than being a supremicist.There is a real problem with the double standard... for example why is the term white boy not considered racist?  

Word is he physically attacked his goalie. Trump may approve, but his GM likely doesn't. Nor his coach. Nor his teammates. Nor Ranger fans who pay his salary. 

He's been a lockerroom cancer going back at least 8 years that I know of. Well before being a racist redneck against democracy was considered patriotic. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Being a patriot is far different than being a supremicist

Not in general.  But the people calling themselves the former aren't the definition of that.  They're the definition of the latter.   More people should let THEM know there IS  a difference.

And this is his third team running screaming from him.    This isn't just comments and being an all around jerk.   That apparently keeps someone on both a team and a forum.   This is being a cancer in the room and altercations with teammates because he's a boiling ball of patriot.

Edited by ruxpin