Giroux needs to be moved to the third line

RonJeremy

I think we all know that Giroux is no longer a first line player.  In a big series, Pittsburgh’s captain scored two goals and our captain scored none. Giroux has not  shown himself to be a clutch first line player in the last few years at all. I think he should move to third line right wing and Farabee should move to first line left wing. By moving Giroux to the third line, he will be more effective playing against lesser competition. It’s time to let the younger guys take over and stop favoring fading older players based on past accomplishments.

Well, Giroux has been playing on the second line, so there's that.

Last night was a mix/match hodgepodge because Couturier left with injury in the first period.

Already:

First line:  Lindblom, Couturier, Konecny

Second line:  Giroux, Hayes, Farabee

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

I would be good with the drop down.

Lindblom-Hayes-Konecny

Farabee-Patrick-Jake

JVR-Frost-Giroux

Raffl-Laughton-NAK

Seems like that would work.

But knowing AV he wants to keep the lines the same and just insert Frost and bump guys up.

• Like 1

I think we should just tap the brakes a bit. Things are going well and we are two games in. Two big games with wins. If Coots is out, make a move to replace him with your next best Center, and fill the vacancy with the best available center. I would assume this is Frost?

• Like 2

Just now, CoachX said:

STAB me in the amygdala with a wiffle ball bat! UGH!

Lol.  No, I know.  But temporarily (and providing it's short term) it should be okay.  I'm not thrilled about the mix of that line, though.

And if it's extended at all, it's not a viable option to me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I'm okay with dropping Giroux down.   My problem is that I like the way the current third line is playing (Voracek still and always will irk me).

I don't think Giroux will go to the right, though that's where I'd love to put him.

They likely won't do this, but depending on how long Couturier is out (I haven't read yet this morning), I'd just insert Frost between Lindblom and Konecny and leave the other lines alone.

You could also temporarily move Laughton to the first line and backfill with Bunnyman.  Again, this plan would change if Couturier is out for an extended time.

The last option is to slide the centers up and have Giroux play 3C.  Moron plays 4LW and Raffl up to 3LW.

The thing I really like about your lines is that Farabee goes to the left side, where I think he should be.

I think Frost and Giroux would be very creative together. It also takes the pressure off Giroux a little bit. 

I think put all the jack rabbits on one line - Farabee/Frost/Konecny. Let them use their speed and free wheeling to drive the opposition nuts.  You can't hit what you can't catch and they'd be great at that.  

Next line I'd go with is Lindblom/ Hayes/Voracek. There's size, offense and defense there.  Let Hayes bulldoze the center ice area to open lanes for Voracek and you can park Lindblom in front of the net for the garbage goals. 

Third line would be JVR/Patrick/Giroux. Patrick gets the benefit of playing with Giroux and Giroux gets to be the playmaker on the line without the defensive responsibilities of being a center. 

You can then leave your fourth line of Raffl/Laughton/NAK. 

Of course,  these aren't a 1 through 4. The Hayes line would be 1, Patrick 2, Frost 3. Just how I'd put the lines together. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think put all the jack rabbits on one line - Farabee/Frost/Konecny. Let them use their speed and free wheeling to drive the opposition nuts.  You can't hit what you can't catch and they'd be great at that.  

Next line I'd go with is Lindblom/ Hayes/Voracek. There's size, offense and defense there.  Let Hayes bulldoze the center ice area to open lanes for Voracek and you can park Lindblom in front of the net for the garbage goals. 

Third line would be JVR/Patrick/Giroux. Patrick gets the benefit of playing with Giroux and Giroux gets to be the playmaker on the line without the defensive responsibilities of being a center. 

You can then leave your fourth line of Raffl/Laughton/NAK. 

Of course,  these aren't a 1 through 4. The Hayes line would be 1, Patrick 2, Frost 3. Just how I'd put the lines together. 

I'm good with that.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

In a big series, Pittsburgh’s captain scored two goals and our captain scored none

So?

His team scored 11 goals. Crosby's scored 5.

IDGAF about Crosby's 2 lost cause goals.

Also, Had Giroux scored goals, they wouldn't have "counted" because they came in a blow out.

So if this is the tree you're barking up, don't bother the bark's worn off the trunk.

Moving G to Patrick  and Voracek would probably be a decent move though. 

So do you want JvR to move up to Hayes' line?

Who moves to that spot?

Do you move Laughton to Wing on line 2?

Frost to 4 C?

could be interesting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I think we should just tap the brakes a bit. Things are going well and we are two games in. Two big games with wins. If Coots is out, make a move to replace him with your next best Center, and fill the vacancy with the best available center. I would assume this is Frost?

Agree with CX thinking.

It's only a 2 game small sample size. There are many aspects of a given players play to observe and evaluate - - not just looking at points scored in 2 games.

The coaching staff has constructed these lines through evaluation over the off-season and through Camp. AV most likely will not re-shuffle because of the Couturier vacancy, IMO. He will want these lines to continue to learn to sync together and not change-up after only 2 games.

AV will probably insert Frost at 1C, and it gives the coaching staff an early look at Frost as he has worked very hard and has shown improvement in his weak areas. As we all know, Frost has great puck skills, shooting skills, and speed. He could be a scoring machine at the NHL level as the rest of his game improves.

As Couturier is out, Frost would be able to play his natural Center position. He has not played wing at any level of his hockey career.

For the next 2 games vs Buffalo:

Lindblom-Frost-Konecny
Giroux-Hayes-Farabee (this line has shown early chemistry)
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Aube Kubel 

#13-Bunnaman (up from Taxi Squad)

We won't freak-out at the thought of Frost on the 1st line. We all can simply think of the Hayes line as the 1st line for a few games.

Yes, hopefully Couturier's shoulder is not serious and he is back soon.

We like to see Flyers' hats on the ice.

Claude Giroux of the Philadelphia Flyers looks on as a giant hat thrown by mascot Gritty of the Philadelphia Flyers rests on the ice after a hat...

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think Giroux will go to the right, though that's where I'd love to put him.

He was a RW when they drafted him.

A true Captain would do anything for his team.

But I get not wanting to mess with a 2-0 team too much. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

We won't freek-out at the thought of Frost on the 1st line. We all can simply think of the Hayes line as the 1st line for a few games.

I good with that.

The best part the next two games are at home so AV can decide the matchups.

I hope Frost is up for the challenge.

No better way than to prove yourself in that role.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He was a RW when they drafted him.

A true Captain would do anything for his team.

But I get not wanting to mess with a 2-0 team too much. 

Yeah, I agree with the captain thing and I know RW was what he played through juniors.  But when it came up last year or the year before he kind of balked at it.  Maybe that's changed, but I think he likes where he is.

It's a viable option, and I'd really like to see him and Farabee stay with Hayes and flip side even aside from Couturier's injury.

But there has to be a reason they haven't despite its seemingly being obvious.

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I agree with the captain thing and I know RW was what he played through juniors.  But when it came up last year or the year before he kind of balked at it.  Maybe that's changed, but I think he likes where he is.

It's a viable option, and I'd really like to see him and Farabee stay with Hayes and flip side even aside from Couturier's injury.

It's Giroux' dynamite shot, the blast, from his off-wing around the left circle area.

We all can visualize it.

Claude Giroux of the Philadelphia Flyers shoots the puck against the Washington Capitals during the first period at Capital One Arena on March 4,...

Edited by Zzeke

Just now, Zzeke said:

It's Giroux' dynamite shot, the blast, from his off-wing around the left circle area.

We all can visualize it.

Claude Giroux of the Philadelphia Flyers shoots the puck against the Washington Capitals during the first period at Capital One Arena on March 4,...

Yes. I remember those times.  

Giroux took shots, Obama was president, I was in my 40s...good times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1