The Flyers have an odd man rush.........

Samifan

16 hours ago, Samifan said:

The Flyers have an odd man rush and enter the zone with speed. What wIll they do?

A. Pass

B. Pass

C. Overpass 

D. All of the above 

Criss cross at the line creating an offsides,  collide with each other,  resulting in  sending Patrick into concussion protocol 

Edited by CoachX
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

E. hold onto the puck and skate it behind the net

The ol Jeff Carter move skate around the net to the other side and then take a shot from the worst possible angle to miss wide and around the boards.

#bourbonup

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

What?

Where's the "high and wide" option?

@mojo1917 I didn’t even consider it because that would have involved them actually shooting the puck on an odd man rush. 😂

next weeks discussion: how to never score into an empty net!

• Like 2

They should ban all drop passes. They rarely work. We had to do it my kids team I coached two years ago. Anyone that did a drop pass there was a nice spot on the end of the bench. They learned in a hurry.  90% if the time it ended up in an odd man rush the other way or at least a change of possession.  

• Like 1

I've never seen a team pass up so many shots from what I call the shooting zone(from the hash marks to the net) than the Flyers. 90% or more goals will be scored from that zone and they will try pass it. I don't know how many times I've yelled shoot the F'ing puck this year.  Even on Sunday you could tell it was a tough background for the goalies. But after the first period they stopped shooting. Rask even looked lost on a couple shots.

Edited by albertaflyer

38 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

I've never seen a team pass up so many shots from what I call the shooting zone(from the hash marks to the net) than the Flyers. 90% or more goals will be scored from that zone and they will try pass it. I don't know how many times I've yelled shoot the F'ing puck this year.  Even on Sunday you could tell it was a tough background for the goalies. But after the first period they stopped shooting. Rask even looked lost on a couple shots.

I noticed that too, that rink wasn't an easy environment to follow the puck on TV. I couldn't imagine being a goalie and needing to track the puck there. It was beautiful though. 

You're coaching kids, do you still try to teach shooting for a rebound? 

Are all the kids enamored of the lacrosse skills and "sick" handles?

It seems like a lost art almost. 

Has the butterfly and it's hybrids made that tactic/skill ineffective?

Edited by mojo1917

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I noticed that too, that rink wasn't an easy environment to follow the puck on TV. I couldn't imagine being a goalie and needing to track the puck there. It was beautiful though. 

You're coaching kids, do you still try to teach shooting for a rebound? 

Are all the kids enamored of the lacrosse skills and "sick" handles?

It seems like a lost art almost. 

Has the butterfly and it's hybrids made that tactic/skill ineffective?

For the Bantams I was coaching this year. It was just about hitting the net. If you ever watch a youth hockey game. Watch in warm up how many of the shots miss the net. If the kids got a goal for every time they hit the glass in warm up they would all be Connor Mcdavid. It drives me insane.  The last few years what we have been teaching the kids is puck possession. We had a few rules on our teams. Never shoot the puck away, never ice the puck. There is always a play to be made. We try to get them to use there brains on the ice and just don't go for the easy play. If you don't have a play up ice reset back to the d men. Everything happens from the D forward.  We just don't dump it in. That's a change in possession.  One of the things we have worked with the kids is getting the puck to the shooting zone or the kill zone is what I like to call it. That space from the hash marks to the net.  I try to show them Austin Mathews highlights. He is so quick at getting the puck off his stick. There no stick handle. It's get it and shoot before the goalie has time to move. As far as trick shots for my own kids that's outdoor rink stuff. I don't do a whole lot of coaching out on the outdoor rink. That's their time to play around. My youngest does have the Lacrosse goal down pat. I'm waiting for him to try it in a game.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Samifan said:

2/27- second period vs Sabres.

Flyers have numbers, Farabee in the zone with speed, and the puck is turned over. 

JJ, “Farabee was looking pass all the way”

It's why they struggle in the shootout no one on this team wants to "be the man" no one on this team is selfish.

Never have I ever thought that that would be a bad thing. But it is.

We need some who is ready to put the damn puck on net time it touches his stick.

Will they ever have that guy?

• Good Post 1

You are right, give me  a Tim Kerr or Reggie Leach , who would have double the amount of goals over assists and looked to shoot every time.  We have one goal Giroux instead, I guess at this point in his career he is no longer gonna score even 20 goals , yeah I know he is playing well, but if he had a pure goal scorer to pass to , his lack of goal scoring wouldn’t be a problem..

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

You are right, give me  a Tim Kerr or Reggie Leach , who would have double the amount of goals over assists and looked to shoot every time.  We have one goal Giroux instead, I guess at this point in his career he is no longer gonna score even 20 goals , yeah I know he is playing well, but if he had a pure goal scorer to pass to , his lack of goal scoring wouldn’t be a problem..

28 is a point per game player this year.  Is there a problem ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Is there a problem ?

Yeah it would be nice if he would try to shoot at the goal you know that is how they score a goal.

Sure i get it he has assists nice bravo....but come on he needs to put the damn puck on net more and you know this. It is ok to try and put a shot through traffic every now and then see what happens.

It is really what plagues this whole damn team always looking for the pass first. Always.

It would just nice if the leader show this same gumption to just score it himself sometimes.

Now that doesn't never pass the puck again lord knows we know he won't be able to avoid that but just ya know when the shot is there take the damn thing...or if the screen is set try getting it through.

I know i know the nerve...

:beer:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah it would be nice if he would try to shoot at the goal you know that is how they score a goal.

Have you watched the last 3 games?

lots of shooting from 28, lots of scoring chances created. 

I can understand the criticism of the team especially earlier this year when they were playing poorly.

I don't understand  continued gloom.

"Carter Hart isn't the guy, everyone sucks, they haven't won a championship". 

It's not xbox, the other guys get payed too, occasionally the other guys make a play or prevent our guys from making a play because they're pros too.

Our guys dominated a team they should have dominated.  It seems like nearly everyone is now "going". They're finally playing the way we know they can.

The question to RJ was simply, the guy is a point a game guy, subtext: that doesn't suck. If he's getting points that means goals are being scored when he's on the ice, how is that "a problem"?

It isn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

28 is a point per game player this year.  Is there a problem ?

the math may be a problem

28 has 14pts in 16 games..... thats not a point per game

Edited by CoachX

30 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I can understand the criticism of the team especially earlier this year when they were playing poorly.

It's not xbox, the other guys get payed too, occasionally the other guys make a play or prevent our guys from making a play because they're pros too.

Our guys dominated a team they should have dominated.  It seems like nearly everyone is now "going". They're finally playing the way we know they can.

The question to RJ was simply, the guy is a point a game guy, subtext: that doesn't suck. If he's getting points that means goals are being scored when he's on the ice, how is that "a problem"?

It isn't.

Here's the problem. You make good points. And you have tons of optimism. A great thing to have. But many of us have had optimism beaten out of us time and again. Getting pumped up over a short stretch of winning games, over subpar opponents, has proven to be a let down. We all saw last season's playoffs. They looked liked world beaters. Theforum was gushing with Flyer love. Then they got beaten like Atlas himself dropped the world on their heads.

We all want to believe. That why we keep coming back, season after season. And after many, many, many seasons, of watching Flyer teams that WERE good enough to win it all, our naked eyes tell us this team doesn't measure up

• Like 2

Sure he came out the gates vs the Rangers (finally) but had zero last game.

Before the 2 assist game. 0, 2, 3, 2, 0, 1.

Jeez i get you're his PR guy but c'mon just because he finally had one game where he shot the puck does not make up for all the times he hasn't.

You sound like my wife trying to justify the the one time i leave the bathroom light on when i'm done exonerates all the years and years of the times she always does.

It's great that he did shoot the puck when he got back in the game but he needs to stay with that mind set. SHOOT THE PUCK!

See this i don't get it's like he is beyond criticism. So if it's not all rainbows sunshine and lollipops we shouldn't say anything?? Get a gripe bro. Take a deep breath. You are going to continue to see him questioned. Maybe you shouldn't read.

See now it seems you're becoming unhinged....who said that where?? I haven't seen that about Hart just some of us mentioning he hasn't played his best game lately till last night finally.

Hart has fought the puck lately and hasn't played well it's the truth. Unless you would like to spin that as well.

Take a step back and maybe just understand we all want what is best for the team. We just disagree on how it should be done and who should be held accountable it seems.