Game 22: Flyers at Penguins; 3/6/21 @ 1 PM, NBCSN

Howie58

16 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Good distraction by Jake going to the net there on Ghost's goal. It's unlikely I will almost compliment Jake for another 3 months.

Yikes. The backbreaker.

This is the Moose you get by playing him in back to back games. No more.

SMFH.

I know the Flyers outscored the Penguins in the second, but I really didn't like the process in that period at all. Pittsburgh finished with 24 five-on-five zone entries and the Flyers managed just 13. That big of a possession disadvantage just isn't gonna cut it.

13 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Every Flyers player during every interview the past 2 seasons regarding the PP.

”I think we have to get the puck on net more. Need a shooters mentality.”

F618A8CC-25DE-4EA2-9F7B-CB8D28F114A5.jpeg

Yeah and no longer do they "kill a penalty" they survive it...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah and no longer do they "kill a penalty" they survive it...

We're kinder to penalties in this day of "cancel culture", OR. It's so much more positive to say it that way.

Edited by FD19372
  • Haha 1

This was not one of Moose's finest hours,  but the D had some blame and our special teams are dragging down good 5 x 5 work. 

Fletcher may have some moves to make on the defensive front. Our assistant coaching will need the microscope if the PP/PK continues as is. 

Moose will have an occasional bad game, like any other goalie, but I worry we can't make him the de facto starter without age catching up. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is the Moose you get by playing him in back to back games. No more.

Boy I thought that at that moment also.

He can be so good for so long then, one of those happens.

Although, I don't know how Rust missed on the open net a minute later, so hockey gods?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So how does our "2nd overall pick" look today beefing up his trade value?

He played alright.

I don't know if anyone was "great". 

Nice screen on the Hayes PP goal, some okay plays driving the net. I don't think he got abused defensively.

that game was back and forth but I think the Pens were a shade better. 

Looked like a lot of guys ran out of gas in the third, which makes me feel "not great" about tomorrow night's prospects. 

They were also playing down a forward, Raffl was not on the bench, then stapled to it when he returned. Maybe that contributed to some of the blech? 

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I've been saying for awhile now he is Braydon Coburn lite...big and skill but he can't defend to save his life.

It is why I was offering him up in the Ekholm trade but man I caught so much flack for that and he's young and all that horsesh it...

I understand your frustration with Sanheim, but he still better than the all other defenseman we have other than Meyers or Provo. If we got a guy like Ekholm, his presence would elevate the play of Sanheim and the other defenseman and give us a solid top four. It would also take minutes away from Haag, Braun, Ghost, etc. which is a good thing. If we include Sanheim in a trade for Ekholm, we still will only have three good dman instead of four , so it really defeats the purpose of the trade. It also means a defensive liability like Braun or Ghost is  on the second pair. There is no other dman in our system who can come up next year and replace Sanheim. Zamula is like 6ft 4 ,180lbs, he’s a pretzel stick on skates, he needs to gain size and strength, so I would definitely not trade Sanheim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So how does our "2nd overall pick" look today beefing up his trade value?

He played alright.

Then he reached his ceiling 

I spent the second period of that game thinking the Flyers looked, okay but the Pens really had nothing going on, Especially 5 v 5.

That nothing shot from the weird angle going through the goalie changed the complexion of the next 14 minutes or so of play.

Really deflated the Flyers and energized the Pens.

Strong agree with you here.