Fletcher's Presser

mkscrewy

"Fletcher: We're not looking at selling right now. I've received very few calls. I've made many. Been more aggressive than most. Not many teams looking to take on salary. We'll continue to look to improve."

""It's been very quiet in terms of receiving calls. I've made many."

[the cynic in me says, "I'm not surprised."]

more here:

• Thanks 2

Having sat with these statements for a little while some of the things that stood out to me were:

Admitting the mix of players is not right is pretty open for a GM, he took responsibility for where the team is at the moement.  

I'm sure that sucked for him.

@Howie58 's point about teams not wanting to take on term or salary thwarted him over the summer and continues to thwart him now. Making the changes the internet GMs are pining for might be either impossible or detrimental to the club in real life. He mentioned this again on the Myrtetus podcast, that reads to me like he's been trying but can't find a partner. 

I like that he still supports the young players. These players were good 365 days ago, but they're struggling now, chances are they will revert to the mean, which will be an improvement. The notion that everyone in the sweater sucks is emotion mind thinking more than wise mind thinking. I'm glad Chuck has some insight to that, and is willing to be patient. 

The last thing I have been thinking about is this: he noted the pandemic being hard on the players.

It is something that I've noticed in the world. 

the last year has really been difficult in myriad ways. People are experiencing mass death, job and wage loss on a global scale all while being relatively isolated.

People are struggling. Mrs Mojo (psych counselor) has had a full book since Mid-March of last year, when there is a cancellation, it gets filled in minutes- people are anxious, irritable, and depressed...not bummed out, but brain chemical changing depressed. 

When we get back to some semblance of normal, I hope as a society we can be a little extra patient with strangers. You never know what the person acting like a fool has gone through or is going through. Not everyone is just a selfish asshole sometimes they're decent people that don't know wtf to do next. 

It would stand to reason this would affect players as well. Especially players who are young and struggling with their play, or just struggling with their play.  Maybe these guys lean heavily on their family to help them when they're down, maybe they blow off some steam with their buddies and can bond over some drinks and that helps change their perspective. 

That isn't happening because places aren't open, there are quarantines, people have had the virus and maybe are self isolating...It's a lot. 

If you're not doing so hot at work and you go home to nothing, and can't go anywhere...how does one break that cycle?

It is the same for everyone, but not everyone is the same so for me I appreciate Chuck's willingness to allow for the pandemic to factor into the team's erratic behavior. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Having sat with these statements for a little while some of the things that stood out to me were:

Admitting the mix of players is not right is pretty open for a GM, he took responsibility for where the team is at the moement.  

I'm sure that sucked for him.

@Howie58 's point about teams not wanting to take on term or salary thwarted him over the summer and continues to thwart him now. Making the changes the internet GMs are pining for might be either impossible or detrimental to the club in real life. He mentioned this again on the Myrtetus podcast, that reads to me like he's been trying but can't find a partner. 

I like that he still supports the young players. These players were good 365 days ago, but they're struggling now, chances are they will revert to the mean, which will be an improvement. The notion that everyone in the sweater sucks is emotion mind thinking more than wise mind thinking. I'm glad Chuck has some insight to that, and is willing to be patient. 

The last thing I have been thinking about is this: he noted the pandemic being hard on the players.

It is something that I've noticed in the world. 

the last year has really been difficult in myriad ways. People are experiencing mass death, job and wage loss on a global scale all while being relatively isolated.

People are struggling. Mrs Mojo (psych counselor) has had a full book since Mid-March of last year, when there is a cancellation, it gets filled in minutes- people are anxious, irritable, and depressed...not bummed out, but brain chemical changing depressed. 

When we get back to some semblance of normal, I hope as a society we can be a little extra patient with strangers. You never know what the person acting like a fool has gone through or is going through. Not everyone is just a selfish asshole sometimes they're decent people that don't know wtf to do next. 

It would stand to reason this would affect players as well. Especially players who are young and struggling with their play, or just struggling with their play.  Maybe these guys lean heavily on their family to help them when they're down, maybe they blow off some steam with their buddies and can bond over some drinks and that helps change their perspective. 

That isn't happening because places aren't open, there are quarantines, people have had the virus and maybe are self isolating...It's a lot. 

If you're not doing so hot at work and you go home to nothing, and can't go anywhere...how does one break that cycle?

It is the same for everyone, but not everyone is the same so for me I appreciate Chuck's willingness to allow for the pandemic to factor into the team's erratic behavior. 

So that was a long winded way of just saying they're fcuked....carry on.

:BrownBag:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

sorry i didn't include the 

TL:DR

:D

As i posted in the Hart thread fixing him is paramount.

I'm not sure that it can take place this season it may have to come during the offseason.

Why can't the Flyers have nice things??

I am afraid this disastrous defense has done some damage to the kid's mental stability.

I hope i am wrong and they can find a good coach to help him rebound because i don't think they have one right now who can help him.

I'm less worried about the out come of this season than i am about the mental state of these kids.

@OccamsRazor

I actually think Hart will be okay psychologically.

He's a mature kid and super well grounded.

I think what he needs is a week to practice and work on his game.

The schedule being so tight just makes that an impossibility. 

No time to practice, add to that Sr. Moose is also fighting his game a little and you have, well, what we have.

In the long run I feel pretty good about Hart coming through this mentally. 

So long as he doesn't sustain some kind of horrible injury I think he'll be better for it. 

Forging the steel, right?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

As i posted in the Hart thread fixing him is paramount.

I don't think he's "broken"

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I actually think Hart will be okay psychologically.

He's a mature kid and super well grounded.

I think what he needs is a week to practice and work on his game.

The schedule being so tight just makes that an impossibility. 

It's like we've never seen a "sophomore slump" before. And in this crazy, mixed up season I'm not terribly surprised...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

I wonder how much the lack of practice time is affecting Hart's play, as a creature of habit and heavily dependent on ritual and repetition. I also wonder how much of that is affecting the rest of the league as there's a lot of terrible teams/struggling teams right now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't think he's "broken"

I'm not ready to say he is broken.

But certainly struggling and fighting the puck and good lawd that glove hand has been exposed.

So let's get him someone besides Dillabaugh to fix this...because it seems like he doesn't have a clue on how to right the ship.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's like we've never seen a "sophomore slump" before.

Is that what we are just going to chalk this up to in his "third" season??

It's not a sky is falling type of concern but concern none the less.

Former NHL goalie Stephen Valiquette, CEO of Clear Sight Analytics, is perhaps the best evaluator of netminders working today. The Carter Hart he has seen this season is not the Carter Hart he has seen previously.

"He's been a really good model of a modern-day goalie. I use him a lot in my coaching. However, this year is off. He is performing below expected on virtually every chance type that we track," he said.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/31130692/inside-philadelphia-flyers-goalie-carter-hart-nightmare-season

"He's struggled," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said.

Hart is 8-8-3 with a goals-against average of 3.85 and a save percentage of .875. His even-strength save percentage is .885, which is the worst in the NHL for goalies with at least 20 games played. Analytically, he has been the league's worst goaltender: His minus-18.1 goals saved above average is almost double that of the next-worst goalie in that metric, the Ottawa Senators' Matt Murray (minus-9.7).

According to Evolving Hockey, Hart has cost the Flyers three wins in the standings. An extra six points, and they're tied with the Pittsburgh Penguins for third in the East Division. Instead, they're in fifth place with 34 points and a .548 points percentage, spiraling to a 3-6-1 record in their past 10 games.

If the lose today well they are tied with the Rangers for a new season low. Nice.

Sell why you can on all these passengers.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So let's get him someone besides Dillabaugh to fix this...

There has been little time to practice hockey and work on techniques. 

I don't know if I think Dillabaugh has failed or ruined the kid so much as he's not had a chance to coach him up.

The schedule is wicked busy. It's game day, recover, or maybe optional skate or a quick "load saving" practice the next day, then repeat. there hasn't been time to actually fix things. I think Hart isn't the only guy that would benefit from being able to actually "practice".

I think @mkscrewy's point about Hart being a creature of habit is valid. I also think since he's stuck in a rut he's not able to break the bad habits.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is that what we are just going to chalk this up to in his "third" season??

Really going into his second being "the guy" though, right?

@mkscrewymakes a good point about his lack of practice time and being a very process-driven player. There was no camp, no preseason, and the compressed schedule is a killer.

If he gets the usual prep next season and still has the same problems then I'll worry.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, radoran said:

Really going into his second being "the guy" though, right?

@mkscrewymakes a good point about his lack of practice time and being a very process-driven player. There was no camp, no preseason, and the compressed schedule is a killer.

If he gets the usual prep next season and still has the same problems then I'll worry.

Well they called Lyon up maybe it would be in the kid's best interest to shut it down for a couple days and just strictly practice and get the chance to sort out his mechanical and especially sloppy glove.

I mean do we expect to run him out there with this sieve of a defense in front of him and expect him to rise above it all and get better???

Because that is what they have been doing it seems an well it's not working...it's arguably making it worse.

I'm not sure i am not saying one of or the other...but something needs to change. Right??

I mean i know it would be nice if the team in front of him played well and helped out more in their own end and most importantly look competent in defending...but i have all but given up on these Keystone Kops.

Guess we'll see what gives....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I mean do we expect to run him out there with this sieve of a defense in front of him and expect him to rise above it all and get better???

If it was the Eagles, they'd blame it on him and ship him out of town.

I honestly don't buy the whole excuse - and I think it is an excuse - of the season and such on the skaters out there. Every team in the league is in the same situation and not everyone looks like a monkey humping a football.

Some day I'll get through a season without using that analogy to describe the way they're playing.

Perchance to dream...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I honestly don't buy the whole excuse - and I think it is an excuse - of the season and such on the skaters out there

it can be an excuse and still be true.

like I said it's the same for everyone else, but everyone isn't the same.

i too would like to see the Flyers play and not think of a monkey ****** a football, though it is one of my favorite quotes.

I would prefer to use it for a team I don't care about. 

• Like 1