What is wrong with the Flyers and how do you fix it?

Fizz

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Remember when we were all saying that they have to play together? 

Yes because we didn't know. But after watching them play they simply are still learning on the job and they don't read each other well....or for lack of a better word just don't display any chemistry.

Now this all could change in time once their brains start to catch up with their feet. Myers in my mind also needs to be able to read the play better...Travis too.

But they are still relatively young 25 and 24 so no need to give up on them. As stated several times though i would still move them both for the right pieces back....and i am not giving them away.

It is time to right this ship it has been taking on water for a long time....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes because we didn't know. But after watching them play they simply are still learning on the job and they don't read each other well....or for lack of a better word just don't display any chemistry.

Now this all could change in time once their brains start to catch up with their feet. Myers in my mind also needs to be able to read the play better...Travis too.

But they are still relatively young 25 and 24 so no need to give up on them. As stated several times though i would still move them both for the right pieces back....and i am not giving them away.

It is time to right this ship it has been taking on water for a long time....

I know we're not supposed to blame coaches, but on what stop in his career did Mike Yeo display any ability to nurture a unit or construct a sober system on defense or elsewhere?

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I know we're not supposed to blame coaches, but on what stop in his career did Mike Yeo display any ability to nurture a unit or construct a sober system on defense or elsewhere?

With the Blues. AP and Parayko raved about him after they won the Cup and just said he was so crucial in their growth.

So i guess this could be true not sure if they were just saying this to say it. But i get where you're going.

But i think this staff will get one more year...

• Like 1

I know everyone is looking for defense ....just saw this.

it appears that Vladimir Tarasenko has asked for a trade:

BREAKING: Blues winger Vladimir Tarasenko requests a trade, per sources: Why he wants out, possible destinations and more https://t.co/OLnEuCtgsI #stlblues

— Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) July 8, 2021

What he'll get and where he'll go, we'll see. Whoever gets him is getting an elite winger, though, assuming he's healthy.

Any thoughts on kicking the tires on this idea?  I have NO idea what the Blues would want and it would probably cost a fortune.  Again just thinking outside the box ans spitballing here.

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes absolutely. If you want a deep playoff stabilizing the 2nd pair is huge.

Think about this where would Tampa be without Mcdonagh and Cernak?? Seems like Hedman and Rutta get all the credit but McD and Cernak did a lot of heavy lifting.

And Savard helped stabilize the bottom pair and he and Sergachev looked very good together.

This is where i said Martinez comes in....you said you want a guy like Nisky. Well to me this guy is the closest out there that i see without a trade. Who knows how much better Vegas would have been had he not been playing with a broken foot.

So basically two guys you can add by just offering them contracts....no crazy trades.

Provorov - Martinez

Sanheim - Savard

York - Myers

Morin

And if you want to get really crazy you could throw a huge package together for Barkov....

Patrick, Myers, 2021 1st Andrea and Ratcliffe....just putting something on paper for example only.

yeah this seems to be a better than jones and hamilton, the thing is we dont even know how much these players are asking for, it's a blessing in disguise. i really think it's better we dont get jones and hamilton because we need the cap space to fix the top 6 and bottom 6 because im not comfortable with that either.

14 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Any thoughts on kicking the tires on this idea?  I have NO idea what the Blues would want and it would probably cost a fortune.  Again just thinking outside the box ans spitballing here.

I honestly am not interested in Tarasenko.   I don't like the way he's sulked since O'Reilly was named captain, and more importantly, I'm scared of his [lack of] health.  It's only a year, so it's not terrible depending on what we'd have to give up, but I'm skeptical.

If they'd take a long-term nuisance contract (Jake?) for a short-term (Vladimir), I'm kicking those tires.

• Like 2

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Thankfully the Flyers aren't on his list. He can't stay healthy. Flyers don't need that.

I hadn't seen that list.  Thanks for posting!

That's reassuring!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I hadn't seen that list.  Thanks for posting!

That's reassuring!

He has played 34 games over the last two years since they won the Cup not sure who is going to want to touch him but i hope it isn't Philly unless they take Jake back in the trade.

Flyers are loaded at RW Jake on my team right now slots in on the 3rd.

I would start with TK and Allison on the top two lines unless they show they aren't ready.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

On 7/6/2021 at 9:36 PM, RonJeremy said:

Hey sorry I missed your message ,I haven’t been online in a while.. did you already come to LI?

Traffic won’t be so bad on Wed/Thus heading out to Montauk once you are in LI , the only bad part is coming from NJ to NY because you can’t avoid that traffic, it’s a horror show no matter which way you go. 

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would start with TK and Allison on the top two lines unless they show they aren't ready.

interesting statement.

TK, by now, should have shown enough to know where he should be, If not, then that's a big problem.

Allison... Has he shown ENOUGH to know anything? Sure he looks good now, but so did TK, and NAK , and a bunch of others. I suggested this to ron jeremy and his head damn near exploded. I think Allison needs to make it out of camp first, then slot in low, and earn anything more. The Flyers are great for rushing a player to stardom, only to watch him fizzle out or succeed elsewhere

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

TK, by now, should have shown enough to know where he should be, If not, then that's a big problem.

Well he has struggled the last two year after starting off hot before Lindblom got hurt and only 2 goals the last 15 games last year and going goal less in their playoff run - so i would say no he isn't proven anymore in my eyes.

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Allison... Has he shown ENOUGH to know anything?

No. Sure he looked good towards the end of the season but it is not enough of a sample size.

He needs to go out and prove it again...and if we are being honest i want to see every player come out and prove it all over again. In my eyes no one has a spot locked up not on this team.

This is a what have you done for me lately league. But i will say i have faith in Allison coming out and locking that second line spot down till he shows he can't. But nothing should be given to anyone.

Even a guy like Hart or Provorov. Prove it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well he has struggled the last two year after starting off hot before Lindblom got hurt and only 2 goals the last 15 games last year and going goal less in their playoff run - so i would say no he isn't proven anymore in my eyes.

No. Sure he looked good towards the end of the season but it is not enough of a sample size.

He needs to go out and prove it again...and if we are being honest i want to see every player come out and prove it all over again. In my eyes no one has a spot locked up not on this team.

This is a what have you done for me lately league. But i will say i have faith in Allison coming out and locking that second line spot down till he shows he can't. But nothing should be given to anyone.

that's what i mean if we want to be contender, we cannot have question marks on the roster, that's why im saying i think fletch is going to add depth players to the roster because i dont think fletch thinks that anyone is a lock.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If I'm coach, Coots is a lock, so is Provy and Hart. I guess Giroux because the upper execs say so

And Morin, as long as he beats the dog water out of someone every game

14 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

that's what i mean if we want to be contender, we cannot have question marks on the roster, that's why im saying i think fletch is going to add depth players to the roster because i dont think fletch thinks that anyone is a lock.

Im still holding on to the thought that there is a cancer in the locker room. If I am reading you right, we should be expecting strong seasons out of TK, NAK, G, Coots and <cough-cough> Laughton (I just threw up in my mouth). We shouldn't be wondering WTF we might be getting

get rid of Jake and JVR and watch what happens

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Im still holding on to the thought that there is a cancer in the locker room.

Yes.   I'm with you.   I don't even think it's a deliberate cancer.  I guess by that I just suspect it's not someone going out of their way to cause conflict or anything.   Just someone or multiple someone's who just exude negativity and defeatism.   And if that's the case, I think it's easy to pinpoint since there are only so many players that have been here through multiple roster turnovers while this has continued.

Jake is one. The Cop Cupper (NTTAWWT) is the other.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

There definitely something cancerous in that locker room. That's why I don't think they need to blow it up for Jones or Eichel. What's needed is a strong leader and someone who isn't afraid to hold people accountable. The whole 'leader on the ice' and 'quiet' types just doesn't work. If you look at successful captains in Philadelphia,  they were always the blood and his type of players that had no problems holding people accountable and would rip teammates a new one of they weren't performing. I hate to say this (in part because I hate Keith Primeau and that he was a locker room rat), but the Flyers need a Primeau type of player to be a leader.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes i know. And the price could change my mind too.

and the other thing is when was the last time a big time fa signed with a team and won a cup immediately, hossa with chicago? if you look at all the cup teams after 2010, besides chicago, la, st.louis, pittsburgh, washington, tampa, none of them had big fa signings, everything was trades and depth signings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't even think it's a deliberate cancer.  I guess by that I just suspect it's not someone going out of their way to cause conflict or anything

i think its precisely this. I think a couple of prima dona millionaires arent on board wtih the coaching staff and are only interested in their paycheck. maybe they are trying to get their ass shipped out to a contender as well

Think about it. We fans are blaming Fletch for not making any moves to replace Nisky, and don't think he "has a plan". Why can't a player think the same way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

There definitely something cancerous in that locker room. That's why I don't think they need to blow it up for Jones or Eichel. What's needed is a strong leader and someone who isn't afraid to hold people accountable. The whole 'leader on the ice' and 'quiet' types just doesn't work. If you look at successful captains in Philadelphia,  they were always the blood and his type of players that had no problems holding people accountable and would rip teammates a new one of they weren't performing. I hate to say this (in part because I hate Keith Primeau and that he was a locker room rat), but the Flyers need a Primeau type of player to be a leader.  

I agree they need that type of leader. But with this current group, I don't think it would matter.  They need to send a strong message that backs up this "winning culture" they want

sometimes you have to shoot a hostage

19 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I agree they need that type of leader. But with this current group, I don't think it would matter.  They need to send a strong message that backs up this "winning culture" they want

sometimes you have to shoot a hostage

the organization has hold the players accountable either give hometown discounts to players or get out, dont overpay them. that's how tampa handles their players and that's why they won 2 Stanley cups because they hold players accountable, they want players that want to play hard and they give them hometown discounts and not overpay them for 8 to 10 million dollars.

if the flyers did that, we would probably be contending every year, because we would have cap flexibility every year to get rid of contracts and bringing in cheaper players from fa or ones from the draft that we hit on and not force to play.

• Like 2