Are the Flyers this Year's Biggest Disappointment?

Howie58

52 minutes ago, radoran said:

I think it was unfortunate timing, really. The organization felt that they were on track to take the next step. They were looking for a scoring winger to add to their mix and he - like it or not - was the BPA at the time.

To be clear, I do not disagree with you that they c/should have known better. But JVR was a pretty consistent 25-30 goal guy in Tronno.

Not sure who was really available to replace Niskanen. After he retired the FA defensemen that signed were the likes of Radko Gudas, Nathan Beaulieu, Mark Boroweicki, Kevin Shattenkirk, Jack Johnson, Matt Benning, Justin Schultz, Luca Sbisa, TJ Brodie, Torrey Krug, Kevan Miller, Chris Tanev...

I think a case can be made for Krug, who got a seven year $6.5M deal from STL at 30.  The same day ol' Fletch signed Gus, Pietrangelo inked a 7Y, $8.8M per deal at 31 with Vegas. I'd also maybe have looked at a Brandon Montour type but doesn't have the pedigree. I don't think we would have been happy with either the Krug or Pietrangelo deals that got made...

The next "major" FA signing of a dman was probably Chara, at 44 six weeks later.

I'd be curious as to what forward they "missed out" on in FA as well last season. When you already have a top six of guys signed - Giorux, Voracek, Hayes, JVR, Konecny, Couturier - and young players like Lindblom, Frost, and Farabee in the system, where do you put them?

Yes, JVR is a maddening presence, but he is/was still there. Yes, there is a serious history of "overvaluing" players and certainly there no guarantee Frost or Farabee pan out long term. But, the team had just been "first seed" in the East and won a playoff round for the first time in nearly a decade.

Right there with ya, pal!

I'm afraid there's going to need to be a step or two back before going forward. Which just makes it more frustrating.

Here are the current UFA forwards going into next year: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/caphit/all/forwards/ufa

Of the top 25 I might like... Landeskog? And I'm not sure Colorado gives him up.

That said, Ovechkin's available! :thumbsu:

Krug would have been nice...but (a) they didn't have the capspace to sign him, and (b) he is a left handed shot...not what the Flyers needed. Ovechkin's style of game is EXACTLY what we need up front, his physicality and the sniper he still is,...but we all know what would happen if he signed here....he'd go on the IR. Too old, and yes I know you were joking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Krug would have been nice...but (a) they didn't have the capspace to sign him, and (b) he is a left handed shot...not what the Flyers needed. Ovechkin's style of game is EXACTLY what we need up front, his physicality and the sniper he still is,...but we all know what would happen if he signed here....he'd go on the IR. Too old, and yes I know you were joking.

you have to get the right players, you have to sign players that have won championships, i think that's the problem with this team this season, there's too many unproven players on this team that's trying to figure it out, i think that's why we are struggling, like whatever young players that fletch is good with next sesaon that's fine but we need more vet championship experience type of players on this roster, that's what we are missing right now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Krug would have been nice...but (a) they didn't have the capspace to sign him, and (b) he is a left handed shot.

Yeah, and the whole "sign a player at $6.5M to play until he's 38" aspect of things... Flyers are not alone in "fixing" immediate needs with long term problems, but they've made something of an art form out of it.

11 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Ovechkin's style of game is EXACTLY what we need up front, his physicality and the sniper he still is,...but we all know what would happen if he signed here....he'd go on the IR.

Well, they're obviously not going to get him away from Washington, but the deal that would be needed would be another example of what we just talked about.

4 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

we need more vet championship experience type of players on this roster, that's what we are missing right now.

It would be great to get another Niskanen for a Gudas, but that doesn't happen a lot.

They are definitely missing that "leadership type" that has the experience and can communicate it. Braun has some history there but simply isn't good enough at this point to be effective.

As it is, I just don't see the level of determination and desperation in this squad. And really haven't seen it consistently for many years.

I think Giroux wants to win. I'm just not convinced he knows how to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Yeah, and the whole "sign a player at $6.5M to play until he's 38" aspect of things... Flyers are not alone in "fixing" immediate needs with long term problems, but they've made something of an art form out of it.

Well, they're obviously not going to get him away from Washington, but the deal that would be needed would be another example of what we just talked about.

It would be great to get another Niskanen for a Gudas, but that doesn't happen a lot.

They are definitely missing that "leadership type" that has the experience and can communicate it. Braun has some history there but simply isn't good enough at this point to be effective.

As it is, I just don't see the level of determination and desperation in this squad. And really haven't seen it consistently for many years.

I think Giroux wants to win. I'm just not convinced he knows how to.

exactly

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, ruxpin said:

Biggest disappointment to whom?  To me?  Yes.

Actually, it's neck and neck with "The Society" being unexpectedly cancelled by Netflix because of production delays due to COVID.

Okay Rux, I made the mistake of watching the show after reading your post. 

Now I am like, well what the hell happened? Are they dead? Were they sent to another dimension? Is Pfeffer the Pied Piper of New Ham?  

Couldn't the writers just give us a recap of what season two would have been>? I heard there is a petition to have Hulu pick it up. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Okay Rux, I made the mistake of watching the show after reading your post. 

Now I am like, well what the hell happened? Are they dead? Were they sent to another dimension? Is Pfeffer the Pied Piper of New Ham?  

Couldn't the writers just give us a recap of what season two would have been>? I heard there is a petition to have Hulu pick it up

That show was GOOD! 

It remains funny to me what "stays" and what "goes" when it comes to episodic television.

In the case of this show, I think many of the actors have found other gigs and coordinating the schedules might be the largest issue.

I see kids from this show all over now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

That show was GOOD! 

It remains funny to me what "stays" and what "goes" when it comes to episodic television.

In the case of this show, I think many of the actors have found other gigs and coordinating the schedules might be the largest issue.

I see kids from this show all over now.

Yeah, this is my fear.

Sadly, it was greenlit for the 2nd season and because they had to delay production for COVID, the superhuman intelligent people at Netflix dumped it.    

Sad about it all over again reading this thread.  LOL