• Europe
    • Finland
    • North America
    • Russia
    • Sweden
    • USA

15 hours ago, Samifan said:

Ghost with 3A today!!

Can't wait for him to work his magic for a full season. GO FLYERS!

It's been awesome to watch Ghost's ascension from 7th d-man to the essential go to guy on team NA....cream always rises to the top, it's so true. No matter the situation,, Ghost's elite skill will overcome it all.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the hockey hockey gods aligning for team North America?

A step in the right direction.. Datsuyk is officially out for Russia's win or go home game against Finland tonight. His replacement....yep it's Sergicayov.....lol.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure the World Cup is here to stay. The tourny made tons of money, thoroughly entertained the fans at home and those that re-mortgaged their house to attend. Money is the key, it's there for the taking as this tourny proved, so it will indeed be a every 4 years thing. Countries like Sweden and Finland would kill to host this thing.

I also think the young guns thing is here to stay. Team North America won the heart of all the fans, and giving them another kick at the can would be universally embraced. I do think though, that regardless of age, a kid can only play for NA one time....McDavid and company don't deserve to be held back for a 2nd straight tourny. There will always be enough good young talent to fill this roster, some years being stronger than others.

So the US team supposedly assembled to beat Canada can't even beat the Czechs. Maybe now USA Hockey will wake up and realize that skill wins more often than grit.

I'm just happy Schneider and Palmieri didn't get hurt and now can get to Devils training camp.

12 hours ago, jammer2 said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure the World Cup is here to stay. The tourny made tons of money, thoroughly entertained the fans at home and those that re-mortgaged their house to attend. Money is the key, it's there for the taking as this tourny proved, so it will indeed be a every 4 years thing. Countries like Sweden and Finland would kill to host this thing.

I also think the young guns thing is here to stay. Team North America won the heart of all the fans, and giving them another kick at the can would be universally embraced. I do think though, that regardless of age, a kid can only play for NA one time....McDavid and company don't deserve to be held back for a 2nd straight tourny. There will always be enough good young talent to fill this roster, some years being stronger than others.

Here's the flip side to the World Cup discussion:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/09/23/dallas-might-be-the-biggest-loser-at-the-world-cup/

Tyler Seguin suffered an injury during the exhibition campaign, and was dropped from Team Canada. Dallas later revealed Seguin suffered a hairline fracture in his heel.

Radek Faksa was dealing with concussion symptoms after a questionable Ryan Getzlaf hit during the Czech’s blowout loss to Canada. He didn’t play in either of the Czechs’ final two games of the tournament.

Ales Hemsky left Thursday’s win over the U.S. early, and didn’t return. It’s not clear what the injury might be, as Czech head coach Vinny Prospal wasn’t asked about it in his postgame presser.

If the Flyers had lost Giroux, Couturier and Bellemare, your opinion might not be so bright.

The money issue? That's $10.863M that Dallas has invested this season in three guys who got injured in the World Cup.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/09/23/dallas-might-be-the-biggest-loser-at-the-world-cup/

If the Flyers had lost Giroux, Couturier and Bellemare, your opinion might not be so bright.

The money issue? That's $10.863M that Dallas has invested this season in three guys who got injured in the World Cup.

If they would have stayed in Dallas they likely would have been shot anyway.

7 hours ago, radoran said:

...Which could spell the end of the World Cup as a preseason international tournament. The idea of star players being hurt just before the start of a new season doesn't bode well for this setup. 

Also, to expect players to go from offseason doldrums to performing at 100% intensity isn't realistic either in my opinion.   

8 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm betting the owners are getting greased large from this tourny....millions and millions more than Dallas lost. That's not even counting the millions and millions generated in the host cities.

An interesting dynamic here, but I do believe the 72 and 76 summit series ignited a never ending quest to see our best beat the best the rest of the world has to offer. We want to *know* we are the best. If we are not, let's fix it and get back on top. Thus the need for a barometer. Canadians live vicariously though our hockey heroes.

I will never forget the sense of shock, dismay and shame I felt when we lost to the USA in 96....it was worse for me, living in a border city and having Americans taunt us with "it's our game now"....LOL!

edit...the Carlson World Jr goal was crushing also.

28 minutes ago, hf101 said:

LOL - I was just thinking ...

Has the hype of McDavid made Crosby a better player?

Never know, huh?  I'd like to think this version of Crosby is a tad more mature than that. Besides, until McBlessed leads the Oilers to a few cups, Sid is safe.

At some point, I'd like to feel sorry for Ovie, but I can't.  Big game/Big series between Sid and Ovie, Sid wins.   Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting the losses on Ovie or saying the wins were all Sid(even though he was the big part of this one), Canada is just a juggernaut, and hockey is a team game. But it must get old.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/17628800/nhl-world-cup-hockey-sidney-crosby-again-wins-head-head-battle-alex-ovechkin 

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Best tournament, and game, Crosby has ever played for Canada. He may  have been the best player wearing a Canadian jersey for the first time in his career. . 

Toews 46 games in a team Canada jersey...44 wins! :canada:

Sid has shown the hockey world what it means to truly be a superstar. He has done it time and time again and against the best in the world. OV is a product of the current day's environment of hype mattering more than fact. In the watered-down NHL of 30 teams OV can do quite nicely against mostly inferior opponents and undertalented players. The NHL hates the Olympics because they demonstrate what we are all missing. I hope that the "World Cup of Hockey" dies a natural death and we can see who's who in hockey every 4 years at the olympics in a TRUE no players barred best-on-best.

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Sid has shown the hockey world what it means to truly be a superstar. He has done it time and time again and against the best in the world. OV is a product of the current day's environment of hype mattering more than fact. In the watered-down NHL of 30 teams OV can do quite nicely against mostly inferior opponents and undertalented players. The NHL hates the Olympics because they demonstrate what we are all missing. I hope that the "World Cup of Hockey" dies a natural death and we can see who's who in hockey every 4 years at the olympics in a TRUE no players barred best-on-best.

Come on...Ovi had a shot on net! Might have taken him til halfway through the 3rd, but he had a shot.

-- wow. who'd have thought the best vs the team expected to finish last that the team without an anthem.  -- lol

Nice work by GM Miroslav Satan for putting together a roster of players that speak different languages in such a short period of time.  --- and geez  who is Head Coach Ralph Krueger ???  

Franz Reindl, President/Team Leader
Miroslav Satan, General Manager
Ralph Krueger, Head Coach
Paul Maurice, Assistant Coach
Brad Shaw, Assistant Coach
Peter Bondra, Scouting Staff
Sean Burke, Scouting Staff
Lorne Henning, Scouting Staff
Vaclav Nedomansky, Scouting Staff
Ricky Olczyk, Scouting Staff
Myles Fee, Video Coach

https://www.nhl.com/news/krueger-talks-return-to-hockey-as-team-europe-coach/c-786674

Archived