Game 50: Flyers at Devils; 4/29/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We are a mild favorite (hard to believe) going into the game:

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/1715457/philadelphia-flyers-vs-new-jersey-devils-prediction-2021-04-29/

NJ was perfect on the specialty teams last game, killing off two and scoring two.  And they are one of the worst on both.  I will be curious if they run Elliott into the ground again.  

Edited by Howie58

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

Narrator: They did.

AV admitted as much in an interview.  It's clear he is being overplayed.  I guess that's tacit admission they think very little of Lyon and/or there isn't a prospect in the system worth auditioning.  That is truly worrisome for next year.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

AV admitted as much in an interview.  It's clear he is being overplayed.  I guess that's tacit admission they think very little of Lyon and/or there isn't a prospect in the system worth auditioning.  That is truly worrisome for next year.

There was a rumour the brass was looking at Bernier. I'd be alright with that honestly. We're not going to get some sort of gamebreaker in a trade. He'd be good enough, likely wouldn't cost a fortune, and still has some years in him. Not sure what other options might be around, but I'd be fine with Bernier.

• Like 1

It appears to be Lyon versus Blackwood tonight.  That is a challenge for us to play better D.  Maybe our D won't deflect goals in...or might even bother to stop an opponent from skating in on invitation to score.  

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I think we've all seen enough of Lyon to know he's not a NHL-level goalie. I'm sure he's a nice guy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

It appears to be Lyon versus Blackwood tonight.  That is a challenge for us to play better D.  Maybe our D won't deflect goals in...or might even bother to stop an opponent from skating in on invitation to score.  

Well don't get your hopes up.

It may get worse before it gets better...

• Like 1

I think Samuel Errson winds up being the Swedish goalie in the system.

He's been pretty spectacular playing on a bad team. - sounds familiar.

Putting up some sick numbers and see a ton of shots. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=210178

Was the person mostly responsible for keeping his team from being relegated recently. 

So he's good under pressure.

I don't know if I think we're at the fish or cut bait point with a lot of the prospects. I'm feeling impatient, so I imagine others are too. 

I don't think rushing this guy to face NHL shooters helps anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I think Samuel Errson winds up being the Swedish goalie in the system.

He's been pretty spectacular playing on a bad team.

I know it is time for him to come over and start on the north American transition to the smaller ice.

So let's find out where Sandstrom is in his development. That is where the Flyers screwed up leaving Sandstrom in the SHL to long even letting him burn a year of his entry level contract playing over there.

Also why he is behind in his development I think.

So it is time to give the reins to a kid and stop with these vets down there.

It is time for Sandstrom, Ustimenko or Ersson to play in LV and find out who will be backing up Hart soon.

Flyers aren't use to having real goaltending talent to work with so they don't seem to know what to do with it.

Time to change that.

• Like 2

Just getting home and see the Flyers have taken their customary spot of being done two to one of the historically worst teams in the NHL. Well done boys!!!

Did I miss anything noteworthy? 

8 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

One bad goal for Alex. One was on a direct invite. Too many stupid penalties. Myers is being chewed out by the announcers.  

Our team is putrid. 

Yes sir that pretty much covers it. That really was such a What-Else-Is-New? goal to give up...the timing of it made it even more awful. Flyers have given up the first goal in 9 straight games now.

well at least Hayes finally got benched.

• Like 1

it's almost unbelievable how consistently the Flyers give up goals after scoring one. This has to be some kinda record. All year...I have no idea how many times it's happened but it seems like nearly every game I watch...Flyers go down by 2 or 3, start working, score and cut the lead...and then give it right back. WTF.

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

Besides, Elliott might not be any better.

I think they better stick with Lyon...Elliot was spent in the 3rd last game.

hey hey now it's 3-2...soon to be 4-2 I assume.