2017 worst draft choice in Flyer history?

Brett

Hard to believe that after getting so lucky in the lottery that year, and with their defense in shambles, that they passed over both Miro Heiskanen , and Norris Trophy-favorite Cale Makar.

Help! 😫

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brett said:

Hard to believe that after getting so lucky in the lottery that year, and with their defense in shambles, that they passed over both Miro Heiskanen , and Norris Trophy-favorite Cale Makar.

Help! 😫

HA HA HA.

Well played.

And no comment it has been strown all over the place here if you read you will find where i stand on this.

Welcome aboard.

Good to have a new voice.

Cue mojo and fc...

Time to bourbon up.

:ToastingSmiley:

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

@OccamsRazor

If you're implying that I like to remind people hindsight is always 20/20, well ol' Brett has it coming.

And as a rule, a little perspective can go a long ****** way in life, not just on this site. 😉

Also, 2017 brought Morgan Frost, who suffered a freak injury this season, Issac Ratcliffe who is still an intriguing prospect that could push for a spot if he gains some "man weight", Krill Ustemenko, Noah Cates who was a standout on a very good team USA, Maxim Shusko, Wyatt Kalynuck who is a fringe NHL player, but was a college standout.

So actually the jury on 2017 is still way out. 

Nolan Patrick's disappointing progress notwithstanding.

Thanks for playing if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. 

We'll see you in 2025 when the 2021 is the worst draft ever because that one guy didn't work out. 

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2021 at 3:10 PM, Brett said:

Help! 😫

in all fairness,i think no gms should be judged on how well the picks work out because it's a crap shoot, i thought patrick was going to be a good player until he gets injuried alot, so it's difficult to project, however what gms should get blamed for is keeping the players that arent working out and hoping they will become something that's what creates bad teams and bad cultures, what makes great gms is making the right decisions, keep the players that will play well and help your team win and not for the sake of everything has to be done through the draft. you build your team with picks that work out, trade and sign players that are good as well.

Help! 😫

Not the worst, because he was slotted to go at two by a lot of so-called experts. However, his injury history should have presented "red flags" that the Flyers should have examined. They should have done their homework, and realized he wasn't worth it. 

37 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Not the worst, because he was slotted to go at two by a lot of so-called experts. However, his injury history should have presented "red flags" that the Flyers should have examined. They should have done their homework, and realized he wasn't worth it. 

Whom of the so called experts were preaching caution?

Were there any?

I don't seem remember any- service or writer not having that draft as 1a 1b and then a different tier.

I'm positive there were a bunch of internet GMs that clocked it though. 

Everyone got it wrong on that guy.

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

If you're implying that I like to remind people hindsight is always 20/20, well ol' Brett has it coming.

And as a rule, a little perspective can go a long ****** way in life, not just on this site. 😉

Also, 2017 brought Morgan Frost, who suffered a freak injury this season, Issac Ratcliffe who is still an intriguing prospect that could push for a spot if he gains some "man weight", Krill Ustemenko, Noah Cates who was a standout on a very good team USA, Maxim Shusko, Wyatt Kalynuck who is a fringe NHL player, but was a college standout.

So actually the jury on 2017 is still way out. 

Nolan Patrick's disappointing progress notwithstanding.

Thanks for playing if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. 

We'll see you in 2025 when the 2021 is the worst draft ever because that one guy didn't work out. 

Actually, I was specifically referring to their 1st pick that year on 2017, the one where they got lucky in the draft lottery and secured the second overall pick. Additionally, if I recall, some draft analysts were surmising that Cale Makar was potentially a generational defenseman, and that there was some discussion that Devils were considering selecting him with the top pick.

@Brett

Couple of things, first, welcome to the site.

The more perspectives the better.

Second, I did know what you were referring to, I did mention young Nolan's lack of quality play. I wanted to remind everyone that there are other players from that draft that still have a chance to make an impact at the NHL level. If Frost works out, it makes everyone's miss on Patrick less damaging.

C, more people were actually talking about Heiskanen as the "dark horse" than Makar at least of the sites and folks I followed. ISS, CSS and McKeen's, still the consensus is this was a two horse race and then a race for show that Makar and Heiskanen were a part of. 

IV. I think I'm ready to be done drafting 2017, there comes a point when looking back isn't helpful, I've reached that with the Patrick pick, it hasn't worked out- bummer. 

the GM that made the pick isn't around, he's in Pgh and I hope his "luck" continues there,  the coach that rushed the kid to the NHL is staring blankly at the boards in Toronto. We're down to two options with what can be done, trade the kid or play the kid. 

Maybe he gets pushed out of the line up with a healthy Morgan Frost, maybe he comes to camp in great shape and starts to live up to his draft position. I don't know what will happen? I'm glad "people" didn't write me off at 22 when I didn't lock a dolly wheel and ruined a day's shooting schedule. 

Finally, Steve Smith, Pat Falloon, Joni Pitkanen , and Kevin Marshall all would like to introduce themselves and ask why you aren't considering them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

the coach that rushed the kid to the NHL is staring blankly at the boards in Toronto.

Are you suggesting that Hakstol rushed Nolan???

Not Ron??

Not buying that.

Ron is to blame for rushing Nolan Patrick to the NHL when he should have been given the chance to play another season of junior since his previous season was cut short due to injury.

And now here we are.....

:bonkingheadonwall:

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Are you suggesting that Hakstol rushed Nolan???

Not Ron??

Not buying that.

Ron is to blame for rushing Nolan Patrick to the NHL when he should have been given the chance to play another season of junior since his previous season was cut short due to injury.

And now here we are.....

:bonkingheadonwall:

Didn't I mention Hextall?

It was a collaboration of ineptitude, that placed Patty in Phila...Ron traded Schenn as soon as #2 showed up in the hopper. 

He was not without fault, for sure.

25 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Didn't I mention Hextall?

It was a collaboration of ineptitude, that placed Patty in Phila...Ron traded Schenn as soon as #2 showed up in the hopper. 

He was not without fault, for sure.

Ok. Just didn't read like you were handing him any blame.

Regardless he is gone and is sleeping with the enemy now.

Too bad we could trade him some of his garbage he helped collect.

:BrownBag:

• Like 1

I'm in 100% agreement with the OP.  Patrick is absolutely the worst second overall pick in twenty years.  And as for the other choices that year:  Ratcliffe was probably the best of the lot and he projects to being no better than a third or fourth liner.  Sushko has shown nothing in LV.  Like Frost, he is always hurt and when he does play the big boys knock him off the puck continually.  Ustimenko is up and down between LV and Reading but since goalies take longer to develop the jury is still out on him.  Cates is probably the smartest of the bunch since he decided to decline signing a contract and will probably test free agency.

Help! 😫

There is an article saying the Flyers scouts were pushing hard for Makar or Heiskanen but Hextall decided on Patrick.

39 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

There is an article saying the Flyers scouts were pushing hard for Makar or Heiskanen but Hextall decided on Patrick.

I was wanting Heiskanen and was cool moving back to get him due to the feeling (and still do today) i thought the Flyers were/are missing their lucky Finn...and some of his game reminded me of my favorite Flyer (or at least of one them all time) Kimmo Timonen.

That combined with the fact the Flyers i thought still needed defensemen. However once they took NP at the time i wasn't so pissed i was going to boycott the Flyers forever just wondering if they were ever to regret that pick.

And for the record i thought Patrick would be better than Hischier.

No matter what nothing we can do about it now.

I hope NP can have a good offseason and a productive year next so if anything if he doesn't want to be in Philly they can acquiesce him if he wants out...because i would want a good return if they were to move him...i'm not a fan of giving him away. 

Well if they don't trade the upcoming pick (or move up) this is a mock of what they may land.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl2006/Philadelphia.gif

Ht/Wt:6' 1"/185 lbs
Position:C
Team: US NTDP

Sorry this year i can not provide much on the prospect i have lost touch this past year since covid.

Maybe someone else can help with this. Not sure if it would be a good pick or not.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512106/chaz-lucius

He just turned 18. So not bad size at this age.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if they don't trade the upcoming pick (or move up) this is a mock of what they may land.

Ht/Wt:6' 1"/185 lbs
Position:C
Team: US NTDP

Sorry this year i can not provide much on the prospect i have lost touch this past year since covid.

Maybe someone else can help with this. Not sure if it would be a good pick or not.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512106/chaz-lucius

He just turned 18. So not bad size at this age.

Well he IS from Minnesota. So whether he's a good one or a bad one, you can bet he's THE one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Well he IS from Minnesota. So whether he's a good one or a bad one, you can bet he's THE one.

HA....didn't even dawn on me to check but now it makes sense...he is as good as Flyer as anyone.

Help! 😫

i was flogging Nolan before the migraine issue but without doing any research I can pretty confidently say we've probably done worse.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

i was flogging Nolan before the migraine issue but without doing any research I can pretty confidently say we've probably done worse.

Sam Morin was drafted 4 years before Patrick 11th overall. He has an amazing ONE NHL point in his career. And the same guys hating on Patrick love this guy. 

I'm not hating on Morin one bit...his career has been derailed by health issues he couldn't help. Just like Nolan Patrick. Only Patrick, when healthy, is a far superior player than Morin will ever dream of. I don't get how people have patience on one guy, drafted almost NINE years ago and with 1 point, yet have none for a guy taken in 2017.

Holmgrens entire 2009 AND 2010 draft classes combined have less points than lousy ol' Nolan Patrick. COMBINED!

Ryan Sittler was picked 7th overall by Philly...never played an NHL game.

• Good Post 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Sam Morin was drafted 4 years before Patrick 11th overall. He has an amazing ONE NHL point in his career. And the same guys hating on Patrick love this guy. 

I'm not hating on Morin one bit...his career has been derailed by health issues he couldn't help. Just like Nolan Patrick. Only Patrick, when healthy, is a far superior player than Morin will ever dream of. I don't get how people have patience on one guy, drafted almost NINE years ago and with 1 point, yet have none for a guy taken in 2017.

Holmgrens entire 2009 AND 2010 draft classes combined have less points than lousy ol' Nolan Patrick. COMBINED!

Ryan Sittler was picked 7th overall by Philly...never played an NHL game.

Yeah Jeff Woywitka 1st rounder has all of 55 points. He has to be up there in my mind.

Maxime Ouellet comes to mind what he played 12 games??

Claude Boivin 31 career points??

Glen Seabrooke 19 games played??

And i am just talking about first round picks.

Yeah i can't right now call him the worst ever. Nah. 

:BrownBag:

• Like 1