Jump to content

Buffalo Sabres win the 2021 Draft Lottery


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

If i were a sabre fan, Powers would be the choice (imo)

 

Hall is gone, Jack may be next....offense is needed, however....OP may be too good to pass up.

Edited by Brewin Flames
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Anyway, maybe we should let the Flyers pick first and take the guy they pass on?  LOL

 

It's funny and also makes perfect sense.   Well-played, sir.  Well-played!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well I came here to post this good news, but a Flames fan beat me to the punch.  Anyway, maybe we should let the Flyers pick first and take the guy they pass on?  LOL.  The big defenseman was mentioned by one member here as a logical pick.  But there is a forward that is supposed to be a good option also.  If Risto stays, I take the forward, let the Kracken have the big defenseman.  Maybe another Tyler Myers?

 

I'm kind of there with you on the Power/Beniers thing.

IF they move Eichel, I pick Beniers and make sure I'm getting some significant pieces to build around him and Dylan Cozens in my trade of Eichel.

If I'm not trading Eichel, then I have a dilema.   With Dahlin and Risto back there, do you also take Power?   I don't think Risto in any way interferes with the Power thought, actually.  If I draft Power, Risto suddenly becomes very expendable and now maybe you're moving him for forward help or something else.

 

It's a good problem to have.   I think really the best plan is for the Sabres to call Chuck Fletcher and see which player he'd take.    And then be sure to do the opposite.

 

Then again, HJ, I wonder about trading the pick.   I haven't looked it up, but I wonder how long it's been since someone traded OUT of the top pick.  I don't remember an instance at the moment.    But say you traded back in the first round and ALSO picked up a first for next year?   Say with Detroit.   I think Buffalo will not hugely move the needle this coming year either way and neither will Detroit.  My thought is you could very well end up with two top 5 picks next year in a much more top-heavy draft.   I don't know that I do that, and it would kind of suck in the short term for fans (in a city of fans who frankly deserve better!).  But it's something I'd think about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Well I came here to post this good news, but a Flames fan beat me to the punch.  Anyway, maybe we should let the Flyers pick first and take the guy they pass on?  LOL.  The big defenseman was mentioned by one member here as a logical pick.  But there is a forward that is supposed to be a good option also.  If Risto stays, I take the forward, let the Kracken have the big defenseman.  Maybe another Tyler Myers?

 

 Maybe you should take the guy the Sabres would have passed on? :biggrin:

 

 The Sabres have surpassed the Oilers as the most inept franchise in the league. Eichel/Dahlin/Ristoleinen/Mittlestadt/Nylander/Reinhart/Cozens/Quinn...that's a whole lot of top ten picks to STILL be picking 1st overall. 

 

 Ya, Philly sucks. Whatever is way worse than sucks is where the Sabres are parked. 

 

 I'd take Powers and trade whoever doesn't want to play there. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

 

I'm kind of there with you on the Power/Beniers thing.

IF they move Eichel, I pick Beniers and make sure I'm getting some significant pieces to build around him and Dylan Cozens in my trade of Eichel.

If I'm not trading Eichel, then I have a dilema.   With Dahlin and Risto back there, do you also take Power?   I don't think Risto in any way interferes with the Power thought, actually.  If I draft Power, Risto suddenly becomes very expendable and now maybe you're moving him for forward help or something else.

 

It's a good problem to have.   I think really the best plan is for the Sabres to call Chuck Fletcher and see which player he'd take.    And then be sure to do the opposite.

 

Then again, HJ, I wonder about trading the pick.   I haven't looked it up, but I wonder how long it's been since someone traded OUT of the top pick.  I don't remember an instance at the moment.    But say you traded back in the first round and ALSO picked up a first for next year?   Say with Detroit.   I think Buffalo will not hugely move the needle this coming year either way and neither will Detroit.  My thought is you could very well end up with two top 5 picks next year in a much more top-heavy draft.   I don't know that I do that, and it would kind of suck in the short term for fans (in a city of fans who frankly deserve better!).  But it's something I'd think about.

I actually agree that considering trading down let’s say with Seattle or the third or fourth team might be smart here.  If you get a good quality extra pick?  Depends on how badly the 2-5 teams want Powers?  We are not letting Eichel go either.  But Adams best solve the goalie problem and start by releasing Hutton!  We will be back in the race for a spot next year I assure you

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

 

 Maybe you should take the guy the Sabres would have passed on? :biggrin:

 

 The Sabres have surpassed the Oilers as the most inept franchise in the league. Eichel/Dahlin/Ristoleinen/Mittlestadt/Nylander/Reinhart/Cozens/Quinn...that's a whole lot of top ten picks to STILL be picking 1st overall. 

 

 Ya, Philly sucks. Whatever is way worse than sucks is where the Sabres are parked. 

 

 I'd take Powers and trade whoever doesn't want to play there. 

Just keep dishing out your cheap shots.  Things will be much better be.

year 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Just keep dishing out your cheap shots.  Things will be much better be.

year 

 

 

You'd think so...but they should have been much better this year. And last year. And the year before. Yet here they are drafting 1st overall yet again.

 

And their best players want out.

 

PS Rick, if you're going to throw cheap shots don't have such thin skin when they are returned.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Good Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to see hear, move along. Sabres rewarded for being a sh** franchise! Hooray!!

 

Pegulas will eff this up because they don’t a have a clue. 

 

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yet here they are drafting 1st overall yet again.

 

Taylor Hall helps a team win once again...what a nice parting gift.

 

6 hours ago, Samifan said:

Sabres rewarded for being a sh** franchise! Hooray!!

 

Yet another fine prospect career to be ruined...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

Yet another fine prospect career to be ruined...

Can’t wait to hear HJ’s reaction when the Flyers land Sam Reinhart this summer!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Samifan said:

Nothing to see hear, move along. Sabres rewarded for being a sh** franchise! Hooray!!

 

Pegulas will eff this up because they don’t a have a clue. 

 

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

 

 

 

 

And this Jim Gaffigan BS from a guy that lives 25 miles from me or so

  • Good Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, flyercanuck said:

The Sabres have surpassed the Oilers as the most inept franchise in the league. Eichel/Dahlin/Ristoleinen/Mittlestadt/Nylander/Reinhart/Cozens/Quinn...that's a whole lot of top ten picks to STILL be picking 1st overall. 

 

 Ya, Philly sucks. Whatever is way worse than sucks is where the Sabres are parked.

 

I think the NHL needs to change the draft lottery entirely. This whole concept of forcing teams to bottom out (tank) in order to win this lottery is ridiculous. Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at something from a distance to see just how terrible it is. The NHL's draft lottery is a terrible concept, and the whole system is insane.

 

Teams should be rewarded for WINNING (or at least TRYING to win), not losing.  The 1st overall draft pick should go to the team that finishes 9th in their conference. The team that just BARELY missed the playoffs. Why? Because that helps them build into a playoff team. It rewards their effort. It makes teams TRY all the way to the finish. 

 

There will be people who say "but then the last place team will never improve". Sure they will. Same way they always have: Smart drafting, smart free agent signings, and smart trades. Being force-fed #1 picks into a sh_t franchise sure isn't any guarantee of success either as the Oilers and Sabres have proven. It's MANAGEMENT that determines success, not #1 picks.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

I think the NHL needs to change the draft lottery entirely. This whole concept of forcing teams to bottom out (tank) in order to win this lottery is ridiculous. Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at something from a distance to see just how terrible it is. The NHL's draft lottery is a terrible concept, and the whole system is insane.

 

Teams should be rewarded for WINNING (or at least TRYING to win), not losing.  The 1st overall draft pick should go to the team that finishes 9th in their conference. The team that just BARELY missed the playoffs. Why? Because that helps them build into a playoff team. It rewards their effort. It makes teams TRY all the way to the finish. 

 

There will be people who say "but then the last place team will never improve". Sure they will. Same way they always have: Smart drafting, smart free agent signings, and smart trades. Being force-fed #1 picks into a sh_t franchise sure isn't any guarantee of success either as the Oilers and Sabres have proven. It's MANAGEMENT that determines success, not #1 picks.

 

 

 

 

I agree, tanking is pathetic.

 

The Leafs should forfeit Matthews.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 @Hockey Junkie kept twisting my arm about weighing in here, so here goes, though my thought process about Buffalo's situation is all over the place....one could easily hurt themselves thinking too much on it! :bigteeth:

 

RE: Buffalo trading the number one pick....

There might be some merit to them doing exactly that.
My initial thought was "no, don't do that!" because top end, large defensemen simply don't grow on trees.

But, in the case of the Sabres, they still have so many holes and areas of need, that even if Power (the assumed first draft pick) were a slam dunk number one NHL defenseman in the making, he alone couldn't possibly cure all that ails the Sabres.

A young man like Power seems a better fit for a team that has, or almost has, everything else it needs to move into the next phase of being a contender, and could afford to part with other players in order to fill that one need of a young up n coming all star NHL defenseman.

Sabres might be better served by identifying such teams and see if they can get a nice package in either picks and top end prospects (or even a very good young current roster player) from them.

Thus, I agree with @ruxpin's take a few posts above this one where Power, by himself, won't "move the needle" much, given the current state of the Sabres. But much of what the Sabres decide to do with the pick will also hinge on whether they want to trade out Eichel (who, despite it all, SHOULD bring the Sabres a nice haul as well), or not.

On paper, trading away the top pick along WITH Eichel (not necessarily to the same team of course), should have Buffalo needing a long bed pickup truck to carry home the return!

IMO, a guy like Ristolainen is a non factor in the team rebuild. He can stay or go, but his role shouldn't be any more than a third pair freight train.
He is a good piece for a team that is deep enough to cover his deficiencies.... Buffalo is NOT that team.
Dahlin still has PLENTY of upside if one doesn't expect him to be the next Victor Hedman.

Even if Dahlin tops out as an offense first, ok defender (and is very good at his offense and has smarts developed further by experience), Buffalo can still build around him.

The huge fly....no, huge waterbug in the ointment here are contracts like the one Jeff Skinner and Kyle Okposo are carrying, forcing the team to carry around a couple huge cap hits that are paying little to no dividends.
Granted, these wounds to the team are self inflicted by the Buffalo FO, but no matter what the Sabres decide to do with Eichel, the first round pick, or any kind of rebuild strategy, at some point (hopefully sooner for the sake of the Sabre fans), the Skinner and Okposo situations have to be dealt with.

I did a buy out calculation using capfriendly's tools on Okposo for instance....it will hurt Buffalo big the first two seasons after a buy out this off season, but will be much less painful after that....same with Skinner, only his will  hurt short term even more.

It's just a really crazy, messed up situation the Sabres find themselves in, but also a situation they THEY created by putting their bets behind the wrong NHL horses.

Now, as I alluded to earlier, I must go rest. 
My blonde brain can only handle so much before I need to put it near a fan and cool it down.

Plus its a glorious 95 degrees Fahrenheit here right now..... Florida heat brought to Minnesota!
Ahhhh......but, I can't enjoy it too much if my brain explodes trying to figure out how the Pegulas can get out of this mess. ;)  

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sabres might be better served by identifying such teams and see if they can get a nice package in either picks and top end prospects (or even a very good young current roster player) from them.

 

And besides it would protect them from the event if he didn't like the direction they were going anyways and opted not to sign and Jimmy Vesey them and signs somewhere else and leave them with nothing.

 

You never know...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And this Jim Gaffigan BS from a guy that lives 25 miles from me or so

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

 

I agree, tanking is pathetic.

 

The Leafs should forfeit Matthews.

 

You have to work with what is.  I remember you complaining when the Leafs tanked to get Matthews, but they did things by the book and got rewarded. Let's see the Penguins forfeit Crosby and all those Stanley Cups lol. 

 

Can we admit that tanking for a #1 pick leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth?  The only team happy is the winner and everyone else feels cheated.

 

All the NHL has to do is any one of the following and the word "tanking" vanishes from the NHL dictionary:

  • Equal odds for all teams
  • Equal odds for all non-playoff teams, 0% to everyone else
  • Highest odds for #9 and everyone else gets less

That's it. No magic required. Just common sense.  :) 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

 

You have to work with what is.  I remember you complaining when the Leafs tanked to get Matthews, but they did things by the book and got rewarded. Let's see the Penguins forfeit Crosby and all those Stanley Cups lol. 

 

Can we admit that tanking for a #1 pick leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth?  The only team happy is the winner and everyone else feels cheated.

 

All the NHL has to do is any one of the following and the word "tanking" vanishes from the NHL dictionary:

  • Equal odds for all teams
  • Equal odds for all non-playoff teams, 0% to everyone else
  • Highest odds for #9 and everyone else gets less

That's it. No magic required. Just common sense.  :) 

 

 

 

I'll only agree completely after we tank and get Shane Wright in 22 and then Connor Bedard in 23.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

 

I'll only agree completely after we tank and get Shane Wright in 22 and then Connor Bedard in 23.

 

You're going to make the playoffs next year. That's your pattern. You won't be in the draft lottery at all.

 

Might as well bite the bullet and support this change for the long term integrity of the game.

 

Plus, the years you do miss the playoffs, your team usually finishes 9th, so you're right there. It sets up nicely for you. I've never seen the Flyers bottom out, ever.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I've never seen the Flyers bottom out, ever.

 

Yeah the year they were the worst just so happened to be the year the started the lottery and got screwed out of Patrick Kane (you know the guy who clinched the Cup for them in 2010 game 6) and well the rest is history....if we only had a Delorean to go back and Marty Mcfly it.

 

DeLorean sports cars going back into production

 

 

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

they way the Flyers have gone through goalies over the years, convinced getting Kane would not have helped

Edited by Samifan
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2021 at 1:40 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

 @Hockey Junkie kept twisting my arm about weighing in here, so here goes, though my thought process about Buffalo's situation is all over the place....one could easily hurt themselves thinking too much on it! :bigteeth:

 

RE: Buffalo trading the number one pick....

There might be some merit to them doing exactly that.
My initial thought was "no, don't do that!" because top end, large defensemen simply don't grow on trees.

But, in the case of the Sabres, they still have so many holes and areas of need, that even if Power (the assumed first draft pick) were a slam dunk number one NHL defenseman in the making, he alone couldn't possibly cure all that ails the Sabres.

A young man like Power seems a better fit for a team that has, or almost has, everything else it needs to move into the next phase of being a contender, and could afford to part with other players in order to fill that one need of a young up n coming all star NHL defenseman.

Sabres might be better served by identifying such teams and see if they can get a nice package in either picks and top end prospects (or even a very good young current roster player) from them.

Thus, I agree with @ruxpin's take a few posts above this one where Power, by himself, won't "move the needle" much, given the current state of the Sabres. But much of what the Sabres decide to do with the pick will also hinge on whether they want to trade out Eichel (who, despite it all, SHOULD bring the Sabres a nice haul as well), or not.

On paper, trading away the top pick along WITH Eichel (not necessarily to the same team of course), should have Buffalo needing a long bed pickup truck to carry home the return!

IMO, a guy like Ristolainen is a non factor in the team rebuild. He can stay or go, but his role shouldn't be any more than a third pair freight train.
He is a good piece for a team that is deep enough to cover his deficiencies.... Buffalo is NOT that team.
Dahlin still has PLENTY of upside if one doesn't expect him to be the next Victor Hedman.

Even if Dahlin tops out as an offense first, ok defender (and is very good at his offense and has smarts developed further by experience), Buffalo can still build around him.

The huge fly....no, huge waterbug in the ointment here are contracts like the one Jeff Skinner and Kyle Okposo are carrying, forcing the team to carry around a couple huge cap hits that are paying little to no dividends.
Granted, these wounds to the team are self inflicted by the Buffalo FO, but no matter what the Sabres decide to do with Eichel, the first round pick, or any kind of rebuild strategy, at some point (hopefully sooner for the sake of the Sabre fans), the Skinner and Okposo situations have to be dealt with.

I did a buy out calculation using capfriendly's tools on Okposo for instance....it will hurt Buffalo big the first two seasons after a buy out this off season, but will be much less painful after that....same with Skinner, only his will  hurt short term even more.

It's just a really crazy, messed up situation the Sabres find themselves in, but also a situation they THEY created by putting their bets behind the wrong NHL horses.

Now, as I alluded to earlier, I must go rest. 
My blonde brain can only handle so much before I need to put it near a fan and cool it down.

Plus its a glorious 95 degrees Fahrenheit here right now..... Florida heat brought to Minnesota!
Ahhhh......but, I can't enjoy it too much if my brain explodes trying to figure out how the Pegulas can get out of this mess. ;)  

Thanks for your input TFG.  Some disgruntled Leafs fan seems to forget this thread is not about the Flyers.  Anyway, just watched Hockey Guy and he says Sabres will take Powers. I guess the kid will play in Michigan next year and is playing for team Canada 🍁 now.  I tell you this, and I am following local media, Eichel Is NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!  The sooner you Philly fans realize that you can’t have him the better you will sleep.  Get used to being pummeled by the Sabres often.  So TFG, the biggest issue to deal with right now is the GOALTENDING!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think really the best plan is for the Sabres to call Chuck Fletcher and see which player he'd take.    And then be sure to do the opposite.

 

I think this would be great advice for every NHL GM for every decision they need to get right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...