Here's what Dave Scott thinks.... UGH!

CoachX

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj0yvPohpDxAhVMsZ4KHbiQBIAQxfQBMAd6BAgGEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.delawareonline.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fpro%2F2021%2F06%2F11%2Fflyers-ceo-scott-confident-right-moves-made%2F7541100002%2F&usg=AOvVaw0jBoa9tmqNxrV3-XsvjPfD

Scott made it sound as if the Flyers have enough pieces in place to get back into contention. A total rebuild does not appear to be in the cards … if for no other reason than salary cap conditions make it difficult to execute blockbuster moves.

“I still believe that we’re a much better team than our record shows,” Scott said. “And I think we’ve got some great talent to build around. We’ve got the veterans and we’ve got these young prospects coming up. I look at what Joel Farabee did, getting to 20 goals, it makes me feel optimistic about where we’re heading.” 

We're screwed :bonkingheadonwall:

But also...

So, there will be some degree of urgency this summer. 

“We have to get it right,” Scott said. “As you know, it wasn’t just one thing. It starts with goaltending, defense, scoring went down. It wasn’t just one thing. It is important to get this thing back on track.” 

“I still remember AV (Vigneault) coming in,” Scott said. “We all went to Prague to start the season and won. We came back and had a big celebration with ownership and really the front office, the players, the coaching staff and significant others. He talked about a new era with the Flyers. We’ve all bought into that. The pandemic hit, and things didn’t go the way we wanted them to go. It’s a new day now. I think we’ll pick up our heads and lean in. Make some adjustments and look forward to the next season.” 

Edited by mojo1917

@CoachX

If I would have read your quotes only, I'd be thinking jeez-um this guy ( Scott ) has his head up his ass.

Now, he very well may, but, that article describes him as being realistic about the team's situation. 

I'm not nor have I ever been a fan of Dave Scott, but he did give several quotes in this article that led me to believe he's not in denial about the state of the team.

My takeaway after reading was not, 'we have everything we need, and nothing needs improved upon'. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

We all went to Prague to start the season and won. We came back and had a big celebration with ownership and really the front office, the players, the coaching staff and significant others.

They had a "big celebration" after winning one game. They've achieved virtually nothing for a decade and they're looking at winning one overseas game as a cause for a "big celebration."

This organization* is the participation trophy of hockey franchises.

I'll wager that a team that won two European games that season didn't come back and have a "big celebration" for the achievement.

They had a celebration, but it was at the end of the season when they won the Stanley Cup.

Is there another team built around a bunch of 29-33 year old guys who haven't achieved much of anything for 10 years that any of us here would say is "on the brink of contention"?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@CoachX

If I would have read your quotes only, I'd be thinking jeez-um this guy ( Scott ) has his head up his ass.

Now, he very well may, but, that article describes him as being realistic about the team's situation. 

I'm not nor have I ever been a fan of Dave Scott, but he did give several quotes in this article that led me to believe he's not in denial about the state of the team.

My takeaway after reading was not, 'we have everything we need, and nothing needs improved upon'. 

yeah i dont think they are going to blow this team up and rebuild thru the draft, that's what a rebuild is. what i do believe they are going to do is retool this roster meaning whatever players they are getting rid of, they are probably are going to get players and not picks back for them.

@radoran

Interesting to me out of that quote, that's what you pick up on.

Not the part where he says it's a new day now, lean in yada yada yada.

Also, if you can't celebrate some wins life becomes a ****** miserable grind.

This is different from a trophy for all which anyone over 45 thinks about everyone 40 and under.

In this case, a new coach comes in, the team plays well on a unique road trip...have a some shrimp and enjoy it.

I see nothing wrong that.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

To be fair. the writer (Fish) had this takeaway (which was in the original quotes)

Scott made it sound as if the Flyers have enough pieces in place to get back into contention.

Which, I mean, "back into contention" for a team that hasn't been in contention for a decade? They've not been in contention.

And then this.

“I still believe that we’re a much better team than our record shows,” Scott said.

Which is, once again, the mantra for the past nine seasons - "no, really, we're better than our record shows."

Are they "better than their record shows"? I find it hard to make that case. Yes, they were "one win away from the Conference Final" - the flip side to that line of thinking is that they were two OT goals away from being swept.

But It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I get the whole "nine game win streak!" thing from just before COVID. That said, they beat two playoff teams in that stretch - the Jets and the Caps. And they started the streak after losing to the Bolts and ended it with a shutout loss to the Bruins.

We'll see what the offseason brings.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

In this case, a new coach comes in, the team plays well on a unique road trip...have a some shrimp and enjoy it.

I think there's a degree of magnitude (or two) difference between being happy with the win and having a "Big Celebration" and declaring a "new era" after one game.

YMMV

Let's also recall for a moment that the Prague game was also part of the excuse for the four game losing streak that followed the 2-0 start. A streak in which they were outscored 16-7.

I'm perfectly happy with the team being happy they beat the Chicago Blackhawks - a team that had missed the playoffs the previous two seasons and hadn't won a playoff round for four years.

A "big celebration" and a "new era" for a win over a team they should beat just seems a tad overblown to me. And totally indicative of the organization*'s desire to declare things to be a certain way rather than actually having them be that way.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

To be fair. the writer (Fish) had this takeaway (which was in the original quotes)

Which, I mean, "back into contention" for a team that hasn't been in contention for a decade? They've not been in contention.

And then this.

Which is, once again, the mantra for the past nine seasons - "no, really, we're better than our record shows."

Are they "better than their record shows"? I find it hard to make that case. Yes, they were "one win away from the Conference Final" - the flip side to that line of thinking is that they were two OT goals away from being swept.

But It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I get the whole "nine game win streak!" thing from just before COVID. That said, they beat two playoff teams in that stretch - the Jets and the Caps. And they started the streak after losing to the Bolts and ended it with a shutout loss to the Bruins.

We'll see what the offseason brings.

:PostAward4:

This was exactly my point and why I started the thread

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@radoran

Interesting to me out of that quote, that's what you pick up on.

Not the part where he says it's a new day now, lean in yada yada yada.

This is different from a trophy for all which anyone over 45 thinks about everyone 40 and under.

watching this team the past decade has become a miserable grind  🤬

Snider will never Rest in Peace with all the turning over in his grave he must be doing

fair point. I agree. But in this case, referencing having a "big" celebration for a meaningless win is on par with celebrating Scott Laughton leading the team in playoff scoring

it doesn't get you very far

• Like 4

@radoran

@CoachX

Perhaps a shared definition of big celebration would be helpful. 

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a parade, or some overblown ******** which seems to be the hyperbole you're pedaling.

I stand by my statment it was a special way to open the season. Some prime ribs and shrimps didn't do nothing to you but be delicious.

Nor did it skew professional athletes and coaches perception that their work was finished or had reached its pinnacle.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@radoran

@CoachX

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a parade, or some overblown ******** which seems to be the hyperbole you're pedaling.

I stand by my statment it was a special way to open the season. Some prime ribs and shrimps didn't do nothing to you but be delicious.

Nor did it skew professional athletes and coaches perception that their work was finished or had reached its pinnacle.

by the same token, you're pushing it as "steak and shrimp", diminishing it to fit your narrative

what he said was, "I still remember AV (Vigneault) coming in,” Scott said. “We all went to Prague to start the season and won. We came back and had a big celebration with ownership and really the front office, the players, the coaching staff and significant others. He talked about a new era with the Flyers. We’ve all bought into that."

taking in the totality of circumstances, that sounds like he's pushing it as big thing to make his point

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The Flyers suck. Burn it all down.   Get rid of cable, switch to FiOS, and get all streaming services except Peacock.

peacock streams Yellowstone

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

peacock streams Yellowstone

Not sure what peacock even is but I love me some Yellowstone.

That is what the Flyers need some Beth Dutton to toughen these pu$$ies up!

• Like 2

@radoran

@CoachX

A "big celebration" was the description. Not my description. Scott's.

With all of the members of the organization* and their significant others.

Not "some shrimp" - a "big celebration" marking the start of a "new era."

Remarkable enough to be brought up by the head of the organization* over a season later.

You are welcome to your interpretation.

I'll stand by my statement that the Bolts' ownership didn't even have "shrimp and ribs" after winning two overseas games.

That's a telling difference in where the two organizations are.

One missed the playoffs. The other is looking for back to back Cups.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You try and beat her to stop her...

Yellowstone season 4: Why does Beth hate Jamie on Yellowstone? | TV & Radio  | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk

...but you will still lose.

SHe looks like Riley Cote after his nightly two minutes of game time

• Haha 1

Is Cote Irish? I swear, I never saw a Flyer tough guy take so many punches to the face. He's got to have some long term lingering issues from that. Isn't he employed by the Flyers in some role? That's proof right there