Game 2: Kraken at Flyers; 10/18/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We are installed as the favorite in Hakstol's homecoming:

https://betting.bookieblasters.com/free-picks/nhl-picks/kraken-at-flyers-101821-nhl-betting-odds-and-picks/

Here is the lineup:

Carter Hart will start in net Monday night. The Flyers will have a morning skate at the Wells Fargo Center.

Here's how the Flyers looked Sunday at practice:

Forwards

Claude Giroux-Sean Couturier-Travis Konecny

Joel Farabee-Derick Brassard-Cam Atkinson

Oskar Lindblom-Scott Laughton-James van Riemsdyk

Max Willman-Nate Thompson-Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Defensemen

Ivan Provorov-Ryan Ellis

Travis Sanheim-Justin Braun

Keith Yandle-Seeler

Risto is apparently out.  The Kraken are on their 4th game a continent from home. The bookies are questioning Flyers' D and goal after the Canucks game. Seattle has good possession numbers despite low shot totals.

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

Let's face it, until the injured come back and until Hart figures it out (I still have faith) this team will struggle to be .500.  I'm really hoping Hart got the jitters out in the first game and those 2 he should have had were just anomalies because without him back to his usual self this team will lose 2 win 1 for a while.

Look at it this way, only the first line is a legit NHL line, after that: 

Line 2 - Brassard isn't a center anymore, let alone a 2nd line center.

Line 3 - I really like Laughton and Lindblom but Laughton excels on the 4th line and Lindblom isn't quite back yet.  JVR is better on another team.  

Line 4 - Willman & Thompson are no better than Chris Vandevelde & Dale Weiss.

Then on D, the same thing - after the first pairing it's a mess.

Braun really should be a 'player-coach' at this point but at the most, 3rd pairing/7th

Seeler - I appreciate his 'effort' but in the NHL, effort isn't enough.

The lineup looks completely different when the injured come back (and Frost comes up)

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny

Farabee-Hayes-JVR

Lindblom-Frost-Atkinson

Brassard-Laughton-NAK

Ivan Provorov-Ryan Ellis

Travis Sanheim-Risto

Keith Yandle-Braun

They are just going to have to grind out the first 15-20 games and hope they get better than average goaltending until then.  

Come on boys!  Don't suck completely!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Look at it this way, only the first line is a legit NHL line

The aggravating thing is that they have the pieces to make two strong NHL lines at the top of the lineup, and they simply refuse to do it. That's on coaching, IMO. AV is severely overvaluing Brassard at this point. If he's "the answer" for the month (plus) before Hayes comes back, they have some serious issues.

I honestly don't understand not using Giroux as the 2C (in his "natural position" - Bill Clement). He simply has to be better than Brassard in that role, no?

JVR is better on another team.  

I'd be fine with moving JVR, but to put a winger who's only real talent is scoring on a third line with Laughton as his center is simply not using the asset to his value. Again, coaching decisions.

Willman and Seeler have no business on an NHL roster. Period. Fine, the "effort" is there, but the ability simply isn't.

and Frost comes up

Frost just found himself benched  in the AHL during a 6-on-3 with the team trailing a goal. Couldn't even get on the ice. Some of that is coaching - and I'm not sure why the decision was made (was following Meltzer, who thought him losing ice time was justified, but not leaving him to rot.

Doesn't sound like a player who's about to break out and become a productive NHLer in the next few weeks. Hope/happy to be wrong.

I'm not at all sold on Laperriere as the coach to make him better at this point, either.

They are just going to have to grind out the first 15-20 games and hope they get better than average goaltending until then.  

The next 15-20 games (20 being 1/4 of the season) isn't looking particularly grand for them at the moment. They better beat Seattle tonight, but then hosting Boston & Florida, on the road in Edmonton followed back-to-back by Vancouver, @Calgary, and at Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Washington before hosting the Leafs and going on the road - back-to-back, against Carolina and Dallas. Calgary at home, Tampa, Boston, and another road back-to-back with Tampa and Florida.

The next 16 games are pretty intense - with three pretty tough road B2Bs in the mix. IMO they don't have the luxury of "working through" that stretch with Brassard as the 2C.

This has the makings of a very deep hole.

Happy to be wrong.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

Laperierre continued: "That's part of becoming a pro, and growing up as a pro. He needs to learn. That's pretty much it."

Well this doesn't sound good for Frost in my eyes HTF do you still have to be sat down and explained this??

You're in the AHL for this reason at what point are you going to put your nose down and show them you are ready???

I hate to say this but don't be shocked if this kid is shipped out by the time the trade deadline for someone who is more ready to contribute now....sounds like he needs a JVR like wake up trade.

:rage:

• Like 1

Greetings:

Yes, this could be a trying time for the team.  Truth be told, I wish we had another top-tier center to pair with Farabee.  Then, I'd put our Selke winner on #2 and have a much more competitive team.  Our D is a mess, but winning also means puck possession and time in the attack zone. We win faceoffs...OK, then what?  It is depressing.  

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well this doesn't sound good for Frost in my eyes HTF do you still have to be sat down and explained this??

I must appreciate the wisdom behind sending him down for not producing offensively and then benching him for not being defensive enough.

Keeping the message clear and strong.

David Rose Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

I must appreciate the wisdom behind sending him down for not producing offensively and then benching him for not being defensive enough.

David Rose Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

Man kid's these days...they are just damn spoiled ass rotten...i am dealing with this with my 10 year old.

Nothing ever is enough and nothing ever makes them happy. And if it is hard well then just quit.

And my wife constantly tells me i am to hard on her....so what else do we do??? Just let them do whatever they feel like doing at the time because well feelings get hurt and we can have that.

So let's just coddle them and maybe they will eventually figure it out - right???

I don't know anymore....

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, radoran said:

See. Coddle them tell them the world will always kneel to their demands...

iron-man-rolls-eyes.gif

EG8742ar_normal.jpg

Frost deserved to be benched. He has overall struggled in both games so far. But to bench him in a 6-on-3 was overkill from Lappy given the time and score. At any rate, time to move on.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man kid's these days...they are just damn spoiled ass rotten...i am dealing with this with my 10 year old.

I don't get the feeling Frost is "spoiled rotten" as much as he's had injury and less than consistent coaching.

Again - "you're not doing enough offensively so we're benching you for not being defensively responsible" is kind of a mixed message?

Just from an outside perspective at the very least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Frost deserved to be benched. He has overall struggled in both games so far. But to bench him in a 6-on-3 was overkill from Lappy given the time and score. At any rate, time to move on.

Yeah, this is what I was seeing from Meltzer on teh Twitters.

Keep in mind that the guy has all of 63 games in two years as a professional under his belt and has played two in the year coming into this season.

He's got a lot he needs to develop, no doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nothing ever is enough and nothing ever makes them happy. And if it is hard well then just quit.

And my wife constantly tells me i am to hard on her....so what else do we do???

Trade her now. Her value will never be higher!

😂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Trade her now. Her value will never be higher!

😂

I bet she can box a forward out of the top of the crease better than Sanehim and she just started learning to ice skate. So maybe we need to sign her to a contract.

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, radoran said:

I honestly don't understand not using Giroux as the 2C (in his "natural position" - Bill Clement). He simply has to be better than Brassard in that role, no?

I'd be fine with moving JVR, but to put a winger who's only real talent is scoring

I imagine AV is relying on the 14-28 connection. And I understand not breaking up a potent top line with good chemistry. It's also the best place for Konecny to regain his scoring touch, with those 2 guys. I'm not saying "don't try it" but I can see why AV is hesitant.

Brassard's line played well in the 1st the other night. Nobody played well after the 1st so he fit right in. Who else is there (besides Giroux)? Brassard can prob carry the load till Hayes is back; a few more games we'll know for sure.

JVR on a grinder line makes no sense. But putting him on the 2nd line and bumping Atkinson makes even less. The best thing for the Flyers and for JVR is to trade him ASAP.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I imagine AV is relying on the 14-28 connection. And I understand not breaking up a potent top line with good chemistry.

I get that, but if the cost is three non-productive lines (and I take 2 periods out of 3 being "bad" as being "non-productive") then is it worth the cost? Especially considering the "chemistry" got them a 6-on-5 goal.

21 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

JVR on a grinder line makes no sense. But putting him on the 2nd line and bumping Atkinson makes even less.

I'm more thinking of bumping Brassard to 3, moving Giroux to 2C and moving JVR up. He's still on their 1PP after all.

Again, happy to move JVR. I'm not on a "give JVR a chance" bandwagon as much as I am pretty convinced he's simply not effective as a 3rd line winger with Laughton at the pivot. I've come around a long way on Laughton, but he still basically tops out as a 30-point guy.

I'm not suggesting this as a permanent thing. The team is facing a pretty strong group of teams to open the season in the first 15-20 games, including some tough road back-to-backs. They need to make sure Hart keeps his confidence level high and that they don't drop too far down in the standings.

Hayes is out at least until November 10 and I'm not entirely convinced that recovery from two surgeries in six months is going to be rapid and effective. They don't need Hayes back if he's not going to be an effective 2C option and he's never exactly been a reliable 20/50 guy to begin with. I've seen too many times where guys come back and are "100%" and then underperform and finish the season before saying "well, I played injured all year..." I know he wants to be on the ice. I know he wants to help the team. So did the Ghost of Wayne Simmonds.

Let's start with beating Seattle and going from there.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2