Wild vs. Predators 10/24/2021 @ 5:00PM CST at the "X"

CreaseAndAssist

10 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

It was bound to happen. Just wish it would been an away game instead of in front of the faithful 

While winning 4 come from behind one goal games to start the season shows the fight this team has, it also shows that we could very easily be 0-4 if the pucks hadn’t bounced our way. Perhaps the high adrenaline games have them feeling a little jet lagged tonight??

I could be in the minority, but color me very unimpressed with the play of our defensemen in our defensive end. Perhaps they are having trouble adjusting to the cross checking rules?? We just seem to give up way too many open chances in our slot and around the goal. It’s been that way since game one to me and it’s ALL of the defensemen if you ask me, even Dumba, Spurgeon and Brodin. Am I alone in the thought?

Edited by TallyTigerShark
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

We just seem to give up way too many open chances in our slot and around the goal. It’s been that way since game one to me and it’s ALL of the defensemen if you ask me, even Dumba, Spurgeon and Brodin. Am I alone in the thought?

Agreed. Dumba's being the Dumba that some dislike a lot. Spurge is sloppy and even Brodin is having an off night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I wrote up the game preview today.  I will have a post-gamer as well summarizing the weekend games as well as a feature on the Iowa Wild and another big prospect report.  Minnesota is entertaining the heck out of us, but is it sustainable?  I have really liked how Hartman has started off the season and that 2nd line to me seems to be the source of strength that keeps this Wild engine going.  What do you think? 

As someone new to the board this year, I’d just like to say I appreciate the game previews. One thing that I’d find interesting to add if it wasn’t too much trouble is the all-time series standings between the Wild and the night’s foe. But it’s for sure great like it is!! Thanks!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

It appears the power play isn’t going to be any better this season.

Chances were there in the last couple but as always too many passes.
Kaprisov needs to shoot more on these also and not just set up others.

Which will we see 1st ...Kaprisov score his first or the Wild score first in a game. :P

Wild Win Streak Snapped at 4-games, in 5-2 Loss to Nashville

It was kind of predictable.  Early penalties meant the Wild were chasing this game almost from the opening puck drop.  The Predators were a step faster all game long, and they moved the puck (passing-wise) quicker and Minnesota seemed to struggle against such quick execution.  Kaprizov not scoring, give opposing defenses for not giving him almost any time and space out there unlike he had during a good portion of his rookie season.  

• Like 1

"You left me all alone, all I get from you is a shellshock"

I think the team has no confidence on Kahkonen making a save. He can't be trusted, and as a consequence the team plays badly in front of him. It's a vicious circle. We need to play Talbot until he gets tired, and then we have no goal tending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Just watched the condensed game. Easy to say now, but why does a coach sit a goalie who is on a streak? Our backup got beat by their emergency netminder. Bad look.

Cam Talbot was looking shaky in his own right IMO.  Kahkonen certainly did not look good in pre-season, but the early penalties did not help.  Especially since the Wild penalty killers seemed to want Kahkonen to go and get the puck instead of just sweeping them out of the danger and clearing the zone any chance they had.  Kahkonen sits back in his crease and he'll make the initial stop but then gets beat on the rebound.  Talbot's save percentage on the kill is terrible too...IMO the Wild are very fortunate to be 4-1 despite these issues and it was only a matter of time before it caught up to us like it did against the Predators.  

• Like 3

Yup. PK, goal tending, scoring, discipline, Kap not shooting anymore - there are a lot of things that certainly look suspect. It's early, though, and everyone else is struggling too. Pointswise we're good. Now it is about fixing the problems, if we can.

• Like 2

From my observation, we always struggling when we play against Nashville. Sad that we lost with such a big score on home ice in front of our fans. I would prefer to use last weekend Kahkonen against Ducks and Talbot against Nashville. I also would prefer, to replace goalie during a game when he lost 3 goals on 8 shots, like it happened yesterday for example. This could help to change team's mentality. Very common practice. Evason never do this. Why? Still waiting for our  scoring team's first goal in a game; Kaprizov first goal and Greenway first goal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Just watched the condensed game. Easy to say now, but why does a coach sit a goalie who is on a streak? Our backup got beat by their emergency netminder. Bad look.

I agree. I listened entire game on a portable radio during raking the fall leaves in my front yard. Their emergency netminder Connor Ingram played better who was able to stop 33 out of 35 shots towards his net. We had in our net 29 shots and stopped only 24. We developed some efforts , but their efforts were faster, smarter and stronger. 

Greenway is a pretty big player. Is he capable to produce powerful long distance shots , slap shots, one timer shots towards the net,  like Ovechkin, or Burns do for example? I did not observe if Greenway does it. I think we need more  strong shooters. It seems our main shooter of this kind of shots is Dumba. And I have seen Addison does them too. Not enough.

Edited by Alexandron
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I agree. I listened entire game on a portable radio during raking the fall leaves in my front yard. Their emergency netminder Connor Ingram played better who was able to stop 33 out of 35 shots towards his net. We had in our net 29 shots and stopped only 24. We developed some efforts , but their efforts were faster, smarter and stronger. 

Greenway is a pretty big player. Is he capable to produce powerful long distance shots , slap shots, one timer shots towards the net,  like Ovechkin, or Burns do for example? I did not observe if Greenway does it. I think we need more  strong shooters. It seems our main shooter of this kind of shots is Dumba. And I have seen Addison does them too. Not enough.

The lack of shooters is still a main problem. Dumba shoots, Fiala shoots. Neither are very accurate. We would still need to pair Kap with Fiala, like Judd Zulgad said in his podcast. Fiala would get 9 shots a game playing with Kap.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Can't even drive to the net anymore?? There's going to be contact especially when the goalie's own player helps that along.🙃

These modern puppies lack the mentality to do that.

The offensive corps have probably 2 or 3 players who are willing to do that. The rest of the forwards are just a bunch of pu**ies to put it bluntly.

18 hours ago, TallyTigerShark said:

While winning 4 come from behind one goal games to start the season shows the fight this team has, it also shows that we could very easily be 0-4 if the pucks hadn’t bounced our way. Perhaps the high adrenaline games have them feeling a little jet lagged tonight??

I could be in the minority, but color me very unimpressed with the play of our defensemen in our defensive end. Perhaps they are having trouble adjusting to the cross checking rules?? We just seem to give up way too many open chances in our slot and around the goal. It’s been that way since game one to me and it’s ALL of the defensemen if you ask me, even Dumba, Spurgeon and Brodin. Am I alone in the thought?

No, you are right.

They lack strength to do anything about it. All of those three you mentioned are finesse players with small balls.

They need someone like Oleksiak or Zadorov to show how it's been done.