Game 10: Flyers at Capitals; 11/6/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The computer wonks model us as a hefty underdog:

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/nhl-hockey-predictions/772dd47f-bc05-529c-9596-74aab9f39db4

On paper, our two goalies have better save percentages.  The two captains are producing at a great clip:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-wsh/2021/11/06/2021020168

I assume our lineup will be similar to the Pitt game.  AV has to wonder about scoring beyond a handful of players. 

LGF

The Flyers were the better team through 40 minutes and with-stood the push by the Caps in the 3rd.

I am not a fan  of  pitch-forking the puck to relieve pressure. But tonite it worked well enough to get fresh guys on the ice. 

3rd line was pretty good again- Brassard just needed to get involved physically-and punching Hathaway was a great way to do it. Luckily the PK picked him up. 

His line looked really good. 

Best game from 6 and 70 too. 

Caps were missing some guys-so were the Flyers.

I liked the active sticks and the compete level tonite. 

2 points and a 4 pt swing vs the Caps, 3 of 4 vs Pgh and Wsh on the road isn't nothing. 

Good win. 

• Like 2

WOOOO....lookin good, or at least vastly better than last season which isn't tough BUT, they uncharacteristically have started the season much better than MANY seasons past, are scoring and seem tougher to play against.

After all the complaints after the trade, I'm liking Risto but what do I know.  I'm easier on him then others because I just chalk up the loss of that 1st rounder as cost of getting rid of Jake. 😏

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

After all the complaints after the trade, I'm liking Risto but what do I know.  I'm easier on him then others because I just chalk up the loss of that 1st rounder as cost of getting rid of Jake. 😏

Well it's still early...but the guy we had to get rid of to bring in Ristolainen has 1 g and 8 a on one of the worst franchises in NHL history, and the guy we gave up Ghost, a 1st and 2- 2nds and Hagg for has a grand total of......1 assist. 

Let's see how you feel after the inevitable long term extension. You know Fletchers going to give it to him.

We could have got someone who hits with zero hockey IQ for a heck of a lot cheaper. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

After all the complaints after the trade, I'm liking Risto but what do I know.  I'm easier on him then others because I just chalk up the loss of that 1st rounder as cost of getting rid of Jake. 

Jake was traded straight up for Atkinson. The deal was made after the Ristolainen trade.

Ristolainen effectively cost Ghost, Haag, a 1st, 2 2nds, and a 7th.

I actually *like* Ristolainen but still have a hard time with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

No way, really? Holy crap.

You'll remember Ghost was traded for cap space. only. 

Truly, that was a day I thought my head was going to explode.

I considered finding a new "entertainment".

That said. Ristolainen does bring a physical element to these division games that was lacking since...a long time.

He might not be an analytics darling, but he made Charlie Coyle so mad in the run of play he committed a Kubel-eque penalty, and he had a fun time stinky mitting Tom Wilson. He rubbed out Hathaway along the boards behind the net, just because he's bigger and stronger.

For me that presence is worth a few blown assignments. 

He's, not being asked to play the top minutes, and I think as they go along, I think he and Sanhiem could be an effective pair. I really think Risto needs to learn his responsibilities in Yeo/AV's system and then Sanhiem needs to learn Risto's tendencies. I think it could be better pairing than Sanhiem/ Myers actually, I think that is the floor for these two. 

the dude is a freaking mutant looking ************. 

plus post game pressers....he sounds like the terminator.

Press: Do you think this is your best game so far?

RR: Yes

Press: how did if feel collecting your first apple?

RR: whatever, All I care about collecting is Ws

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

No way, really? Holy crap.

Like mojo said, Ghost was traded (on July 22nd) to free up the space to fit Ristolainen. Ghost, 2nd, & 7th.
image.png

The next day Hagg, 1st, and 2nd went to Buffalo for Ristolainen.
image.png

The day after that, Jake was flipped for Atkinson. Exactly one week after Myers/Patrick for Ellis.

Heluva week for Ol' Fletch, that.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, radoran said:

Jake was traded straight up for Atkinson. The deal was made after the Ristolainen trade.

Ristolainen effectively cost Ghost, Haag, a 1st, 2 2nds, and a 7th.

I actually *like* Ristolainen but still have a hard time with that.

It is a tough pill to swallow...which is why, in my head, we used that first to get rid of Jake...makes it easier in my mind anyway

haha  

• Haha 2