Game 19: Hurricanes at Flyers; 11/26/19 @ 3:30 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

I saw on the back of a beer bottle once....no matter how much you put polish on a turd, it's still a turd. Your 2021-22 Philadelphia Flyers. Philadelphia Eagles, you're off the hook til you lose to the New York Giants.

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Another shakeup - already? I thought that's what they did over the summer.

That was a 2.5 on the s*it... overhaul, shakeup Richter scale. I want way more than that. 

I was at the game this afternoon, thanks to a pair of tickets at a discounted price someone else gave me.  What a sad display... I could write "War and Peace" on what's wrong with this team.... And it reminded me why I stopped caring about this team long time ago.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

Made the 5.5 hours drive down to see this **** show in person. So sick of the slingshot on the power play rush. Also wondering if those blind behind the back passes they insist on making have every worked once in the history of this organization? 

This team was loose and laughing during warmups. They are soft on the puck and rarely win one on one battles in the corner I am at a loss. For nothing to change with the PP is also unacceptable. Therrien needs to be fired immediately. 

Another $500 weekend to drive back to Rochester pissed off. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Made the 5.5 hours drive down to see this **** show in person. So sick of the slingshot on the power play rush. Also wondering if those blind behind the back passes they insist on making have every worked once in the history of this organization? 

This team was loose and laughing during warmups. They are soft on the puck and rarely win one on one battles in the corner I am at a loss. For nothing to change with the PP is also unacceptable. Therrien needs to be fired immediately. 

Another $500 weekend to drive back to Rochester pissed off. 

So, I admire your dedication.

I haven't been bothered to take the subway three stops...

Edited by radoran
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stopped watching after 2 and prayed for a quick death. 

Question for the analytics folks: we must be near the bottom in all the key possession stats eh? Because other than when we win a faceoff (today that seemed infrequent) and momentarily have the puck, we never have it. So much panic, so little support for that panic, so many giveaways, so many little battles lost, so many 50-50 pucks lost, so little possession. 

It's grim.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

It's grim

After making the major roster reshuffle, is it possible the guys that were kept were the wrong guys?

Is it possible the guy who it's not all his fault for this situation isn't the solution to this situation?

Have they been building around the wrong guy for a decade?

And I totally get that they have yet to actually ice the team the roster reshuffle assembled.

Asking for a fan base...

schitts creek yes GIF by CBC

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

After making the major roster reshuffle, is it possible the guys that were kept were the wrong guys?

Is it possible the guy who it's not all his fault for this situation isn't the solution to this situation?

And I totally get that they have yet to actually ice the team the roster reshuffle assembled.

Asking for a fan base...

You frame things well.  It is painful to watch.  As I've said so often here, I hope to live long enough to see another Cup.  We were porous on defense and largely impotent on offense, though we scored more than two.  It is depressing.  

@radoran I assume you're referring to Giroux. Did they really "build the team around" him though? I guess so, by default, since he's the Flyers best player the past decade. But they never signed players to complement him. The one sniper they had they got rid of - Carter. Then they gave him Voracek, exactly the wrong type of player to put with Giroux. How many years did they stick with that line combo? Even Couturier scoring 30+ wasn't enough to make them a consistent offensive threat. Ya they had their moments, good chemistry etc. but a line without a shoot-first player isn't, shouldn't be the top line. 

I don't think Homer now Fletcher built anything around anyone. They put together teams that are "good enough" to get into the POs, where as you know quite well, "anything can happen." 🍀

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I assume you're referring to Giroux. Did they really "build the team around" him though? I guess so, by default, since he's the Flyers best player the past decade. But they never signed players to complement him.

I don't disagree with any of that. But they definitely "built the team" around him as the centerpiece.

14 hours ago, radoran said:

Asking for a fan base...

fans dont point what's wrong with this roster, i am our transition d is terrible, they dont know how to get pucks out of zone, they keep soft passing instead of flicking them out of zone, that's not coaching, ellis can do that but he's injuried, our centers cant win draws, they cant get the pucks of zone right either, they stand around dont defend, that's not coaching either.

i'll tell you what we need, we need two great centers that know how to win draws, know how to pucks out of zone, defend and score, we dont have that. our d is mess, i mean name one defender on there that's great at puck possession and handling. i dont see it, we have have to restructure this whole d core accept ellis that knows how to get pucks out of the zone the right way, that's the problem, i think cam york can probably do it if he's ready, ellis can do it but provy, risto, braun, sanheim, yandle? heck no and that's a big problem.

that's why im saying changing coaches wont fix this, restructuring the whole team will. get rid of the expensive wingers, sign scrap heap cheap wingers that can hit and shoot and trade the current wingers and some d for good centers like a hertl and jt miller cant trust hayes because of injuries, trade some prospects and picks for and sign some d that's good at puck possession and puck movement, we are lacking that.

if we somehow do that, we can turn this around, keep the same roster with a different coach will not change anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

we need two great centers that know how to win draws

I'm with you on most of what you're saying but they are 4th in the league in FO% and were 2nd last year.

Winning the draws isn't the issue as much as what they do after getting possession. Which isn't much.

• Like 3