Game 23: Avalanche at Flyers; 12/6/21 @ 7PM, NBCSP

Howie58

That's some nice payback from Laugton..hate giving up shorties sure love when the Flyers score them.

Better team D and this would've been a competitive game. It almost qualified as one as is...and the AVs are loaded with talent. The Flyers need help on D in a bad way. If Ellis can't go full-time, which looks like the case, and Yandle is Pillowman disguised as Ironman (they can't keep playing him he's embarrassing himself) - get a real partner for Provorov - who shouldn't need one by now but it is what it is - and a real partner for Sanheim...the Flyers could be very good team.

• Like 1

If the fire Yeo do they beat the Devil's? Maybe the key is continually firing coaches ona weekly (daily) basis?

Seriously, Yeo had zero time to do anything substantial with this team.

This was their "yay, AV is gone" game.

And they still lost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Giving up seven goals in two nights with goalies having very similar stats confirms Greatful's take.  Turnovers aside, we are giving up too many high percentage chances.  I'm glad they had some pep in their step but it isn't enough.  Yeo may change things at the margin, but this core isn't cutting the mustard. I also hope that Ellis heals.  

• Like 2

Good job holding the opponents to a touchdown a second time in a row.  /s

Gave up 50 shots.  Yikes.  

Flyers managed to score 5 goals on a third, possibly fourth, string goaltender.  Guy got his first career win tonight.  

Not much to take away from this game, other than that Giroux played well and at least the PP scored.  

Glad Laughton got that shortie.  I was livid the Avalanche still had their top unit out at that point.  Disrespectful.  

12 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

wow Couturier is really struggling just to make simple passes... He just got stripped from behind and the way he reacted he might as well have shrugged his shoulders for all it mattered to him. Weird to see him like this.

I think the shield he is wearing from taking the shot in his face the other night really exasperated his play last night. That said, he has still been off most of the season. Looking forward to them actually attacking the zone instead of waiting for the entire defense to get set up before entering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Pretty dark times for the franchise.

I think the only positive I could take away from last night was the team actually pushed back after going down 4-1. 

Since November they've been "taking it" last night I saw sustained effort and an attempt to stay in the fight.

Very interesting article from Charlie O'Connor in the Athletic was saying the players and the coach were not communicating well and the players felt like the system they were playing specifically the centerman's responsibility in the d-zone left too many backdoor opportunities for the opposition.

It was an interesting X and O's read, it didn't address the lack of compete level from the team.

To me that has been the biggest disappointment watching some games in this losing streak. The system may suck but a guy can still put a puck where his teammate can make a play with it. A guy can finish his ****** check, even if the strategy remains dreadful, I hope whoever is next tasked with "leading" this bunch makes them accountable for their compete level.

I saw a little of that last night, definitely need to see more.

that's why im saying they have to rebuild, we dont have the right system and we dont have the right players, it's been the problem for 10 years, when we dont have both, it's buffalo sabres 2.0, that's why homer was a great gm in 2007 because he nuked the whole roster besides richards and carter that was part of steven's system and brought in players that fit his system that's why we made the playoffs the next year.

Edited by tucson83

41 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I think the shield he is wearing from taking the shot in his face the other night really exasperated his play last night. That said, he has still been off most of the season.

It sucks wearing the full face shield it really does make it harder to see the ice. So I would understand that contributing to some errant passes but like you said he's been "off" most of the season. I wonder if we'll ever learn why.

Setting records every day...

This is the fourth time in Flyers history that they've given up seven goals in two straight games, and the first time in nearly 30 years.

11/27/91 (3-7 vs. HAR)

11/29/91 (3-9 vs. PIT)

10/24/92 (6-7 vs. MTL)

10/26/92 (4-8 @ NYR)

11/13/93 (2-7 vs. BUF)

11/16/93 (5-11 @ PIT)

:DancingGrape: