The New CBA

Guest Lindbergh31

I'm just curious to see what Flyers fans want to see different in the new CBA for next year. A couple of things I'd like them to change is

1) get rid of the 35+ contracts counting against the cap if the player retires.

2) make the maximum years for a contract or contract extension to be 7 years no more 10, 11 or 12 year deals

3) depending on the length of the new deal, each team is allowed a buyout of one contract that doesn't count against the cap in future years.

I'm just curious to see what Flyers fans want to see different in the new CBA for next year. A couple of things I'd like them to change is

1) get rid of the 35+ contracts counting against the cap if the player retires.

2) make the maximum years for a contract or contract extension to be 7 years no more 10, 11 or 12 year deals

3) depending on the length of the new deal, each team is allowed a buyout of one contract that doesn't count against the cap in future years.

I think 1) is possible. I do not think the NHLPA would sign off on 3 in any scenario. I think bonuses against the cap in the final year of CBA (as in this year) has to be eliminated. They will likely put something in that the highest X year average salary be within a % of the lowest X year average salary (or something along those lines) to avoid the super long contract with add on years solely to lower the average.

one, get rid of re-entry waivers. they were supposed to protect vet players from being shipped to the minors, but just had the effect of locking them down there.

two, get rid of the restrictions on 35+ deals. again, they were supposed to protect older players from being buried partway into long deals, but just had the effect of making it tough for those guys to get deals, period.

three, do something with buyouts. i agree the NHLPA isn't going to be a fan of buyouts as the currently stand being penalty-free for the teams, but they could impliment something like a consentual buyout, where the player has to sign off on it, then have that buyout not have any cap implications.

four, have the cap hit for a given player's salary simply be that season's salary, rather than the average yearly. you can make the deal as long as you want, with as much variable payment as you like, but each year's hit will be that year's actual payout. no motivation for 12 year deals, unless you actually want the player for 12 years.

All i care about is avoiding another work stoppage. Not so sure I will get my wish though.

I agree, priority number one.

As far as a wish list, what about allowing renegotiation of contracts, or maybe limit renegotiation to +/- 10% of the remaining value of the contract?

Beyond that, how about cap hit year X = the salary paid year X.

Maybe change the re-entry waiver rule, so for players over 35, the cap hit travels with the player 100% (none of that 50/50 garbage). That might benefit the veterans.

When a player goes through re entry waivers, if they are picked up, that team gets the whole salary not half of it. That is punishing more players than teams who just leave players to languish in the minors as opposed to being saddled with half the salary cap hit. Nobody thought that one through very well on the last CBA.

four, have the cap hit for a given player's salary simply be that season's salary, rather than the average yearly. you can make the deal as long as you want, with as much variable payment as you like, but each year's hit will be that year's actual payout. no motivation for 12 year deals, unless you actually want the player for 12 years.

I'd do it like the NFL - that year's salary plus a pro-rated portion of any signing bonus.

Beyond that, how about cap hit year X = the salary paid year X

I'd love that. One thing I can't stand is seeing players get these ridiculously long contracts just to help teams manage the cap hit. It makes a player your team has that much harder to move is he isn't play up to snuff. It could potentially lead to a player to take nights off when he feels like it cause he's already got his career contract. I like 3 - 4 years max for players.

1. I would get rid of the guaranteed contracts with some restrictions. Maybe each contract has a minimum guaranteed length. Prior to the beginning of each season, teams can cut players not worthy or needed on their team. That player becomes a FA. Once the season starts the waiver process is In effect.

2. Allow some form of the luxury tax to apply for players over the age of 30. Meaning clubs can pay these players a higher fee to play on their team, but only 2/3 of their actual salary becomes a part of the cap if desired by the club. Clubs trying to stay near the cap floor can of course have the entire salary apply to the cap total.

3. Increase the team roster to 25 and increase the number if contracts to 56.

4. Injured players can retire with full payment of their contract that only affects the cap the year they were injured. However they may not return from retirement untill that original contract length has ended.

....to be continued

1. I would get rid of the guaranteed contracts with some restrictions. Maybe each contract has a minimum guaranteed length. Prior to the beginning of each season, teams can cut players not worthy or needed on their team. That player becomes a FA. Once the season starts the waiver process is In effect.

This. 100% in agreement.

3. Increase the team roster to 25 and increase the number if contracts to 56.

Why have a contract limit? If you already have a salary cap,a player contract value maximum, a vet minimum, a rookie package with min/max,and a salary floor... having a contract limit on top of all that just seems stupid.

As for the re-entry waivers, they seemed to think the half-salary penalty would deter teams from stashing players. Oops. It didn't. Perhaps allow a contract to be traded to another team, that accepts the full contract value, and they are not subjected to waivers.

From game play point-of-view, eliminate the automatic delay of game for puck over glass. The opposite has happened, as far as I am concerned.

Pandora's Box Change: If offsetting penalites are called, i.e., tripping; but the player trips gets called for diving- the offending diving player gets a double minor. After the third diving penalty in a season it goes to a major. (And, dearest NHL, it's 2012, so save the "gosh that would be hard to track" bullshit). Yes, this would cause certain players to be called more often, but officials are under a different CBA...

I agree with a lot of this, there are SO many wrong things

Eliminate the Shootout is the top of my list. This is a team game and stop pandering to those teams that build for that

It will never happen since the attention deficit fans love it along with the little moron running the league

Eliminate the Cap and no luxury tax, stop having teams in existence that cant survive on their own merit

Eliminate the 35 and over special rules regarding the contracts counting if a guy has a medical or any other retirement. If he wants to hang them up and not take any more money (aside from an insurance payout for medical reasons) he is off the books

Allow free movement up and down within a teams farm system with no re-entry waivers for all players under contract to the teams(tied to no cap)

Picking up a player on waivers the new team pays the salary and takes the cap hit, or remove any penalties or salaries or cap to the team letting the player go

Have Federal Investigators tear this league up-Find out why Nathan Horton was not suspended for hitting a fan with a water bottle during the playoffs and why/how Gregory Campbell ended up going to a cup winning team-another of Colin Campbells interventions like during the 2009 Cup finals when he allowed Malkin to play after having two game misconducts and automatic suspension during game 2????

There is no transparency in this league except a thinly veiled smokescreen that's not hard to penetrate if you dont drink the koolaid

I agree with a lot of this, there are SO many wrong things

Eliminate the Shootout is the top of my list. This is a team game and stop pandering to those teams that build for that

It will never happen since the attention deficit fans love it along with the little moron running the league

Eliminate the Cap and no luxury tax, stop having teams in existence that cant survive on their own merit

Eliminate the 35 and over special rules regarding the contracts counting if a guy has a medical or any other retirement. If he wants to hang them up and not take any more money (aside from an insurance payout for medical reasons) he is off the books

Allow free movement up and down within a teams farm system with no re-entry waivers for all players under contract to the teams(tied to no cap)

Picking up a player on waivers the new team pays the salary and takes the cap hit, or remove any penalties or salaries or cap to the team letting the player go

Have Federal Investigators tear this league up-Find out why Nathan Horton was not suspended for hitting a fan with a water bottle during the playoffs and why/how Gregory Campbell ended up going to a cup winning team-another of Colin Campbells interventions like during the 2009 Cup finals when he allowed Malkin to play after having two game misconducts and automatic suspension during game 2????

There is no transparency in this league except a thinly veiled smokescreen that's not hard to penetrate if you dont drink the koolaid

Eliminating the shootout would be a good thing. Maybe have a five minute 3 on 3 in overtime to try and achieve a winner.

Go back to divisional playoffs for the 1st and 2nd rounds.

3 on 3 at the end of a 4 on 4 if no one scores, that would be cool & acceptable to most real hockey fans. If no one scores at the end of that get on the bus each with a point.

Makes too much sense but the ADD fans wouldnt like it and neither would the moron in charge

I hate the OTL point. What other sport gives out a point for losing?

If they are intent on keeping the shootout then they should get rid of the OTL point as there is a clear victor to the game. I would only be in favor of a tie point if they were to bring ties back.

3 on 3 at the end of a 4 on 4 if no one scores, that would be cool & acceptable to most real hockey fans. If no one scores at the end of that get on the bus each with a point.

Makes too much sense but the ADD fans wouldnt like it and neither would the moron in charge

I think if either team doesn't score after playing 3 on 3 then it should end up a tie with each team getting a point. But if one team wins in overtime then the other team gets no points for the overtime loss.

I think if either team doesn't score after playing 3 on 3 then it should end up a tie with each team getting a point. But if one team wins in overtime then the other team gets no points for the overtime loss.

I like the idea of not getting a point just because you got to OT. It would make teams play harder to finish the game in regulation as opposed to going well i can get a guaranteed point with a tie.