Wild vs. Avalanche 1/17/22 @ 2:00PM CST at Ball Arena

CreaseAndAssist

It turns out we're right there with the Avs. Their offense is not able to compensate their weaknesses. We might win a series against them. A well played exciting game! I wish they still allowed tie games, because this was a tie game. It should have been "we'll meet again", instead of this "yeah, they were a tad luckier in the shootout".

I thought this game during the first half of the game had a potential to turn into a really ugly game. Then McDermid-Greeway-Kuemper happened. First McDermid was running around very recklessly, then Greenway bumped into Kuemper and a lopsided fight followed. The penalties were very odd. McDermid got 2 for instigating and a 10 minute misconduct. After that the game was hard-fought but fair. After the fight and Kuemper injury I had no fear whatsoever that the Avs were trying to bully the Wild into submission. No fear of somebody getting injured by a reckless hit.

Was it the refs taking care of the business by seeing McDermid as the risk factor and taking him out? Was it the Avs understanding that they would be better off turning it down a bit, wanting no more injuries? Whatever it was, I felt in this game the Wild managed to play through the rough stuff in a way that minimised the risk of further injuries.

14 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Boldy looks just awesome as a Rookie.  He is going to be a GREAT player.   He is skilled, smart, responsible, and patient with the puck.  Each game he is getting more opportunity (Line 2, PP2, PP1, OT).  So, I am wondering when they will let him try the shootout?  Say, after Kap and Fiala?

I'm waiting for him to join Kap and Zucc on the PP with Spurg and Brodin.

The other thing is someone needs to tell him he does not always have to pass to Fiala, he should shoot more.

Right now I like his game more than Fiala's.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Was it the refs taking care of the business by seeing McDermid as the risk factor and taking him out? Was it the Avs understanding that they would be better off turning it down a bit, wanting no more injuries? Whatever it was, I felt in this game the Wild managed to play through the rough stuff in a way that minimised the risk of further injuries.

I think the ref's were noticing his antics build up to that point and was keeping an eye on him. Then he explodes on Greenway to defend his goalie on an unintentional contact play that even the refs didn't think much of..
A surprizing call on McDerrrr but a good one imo.

That OT 3 on 3 was probably our worst of the year skating and play wise.
You need puck handlers first and foremost, (Speedy would be nice too) ...Dumba is not one of them along with Greenway and a few others who appeared.
Since we don't rotate players in as much as many other teams I'd like to see  2 main sets of 3 and weave in quality players when needed.
Obviously Kap and Zucc together w/ Brodin. Then Fiala-Boldy w/ Spurgeon or a decent D man not numbered 24.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

I think the ref's were noticing his antics build up to that point and was keeping an eye on him. Then he explodes on Greenway to defend his goalie on an unintentional contact play that even the refs didn't think much of..
A surprizing call on McDerrrr but a good one imo.

That OT 3 on 3 was probably our worst of the year skating and play wise.
You need puck handlers first and foremost, (Speedy would be nice too) ...Dumba is not one of them along with Greenway and a few others who appeared.
Since we don't rotate players in as much as many other teams I'd like to see  2 main sets of 3 and weave in quality players when needed.
Obviously Kap and Zucc together w/ Brodin. Then Fiala-Boldy w/ Spurgeon or a decent D man not numbered 24.

Agreed on Dumba, while the skill set is there, he makes far too many bone headed plays this year. 
Fiala still makes me nervous on when he will try to beat someone in a 1 on 1 with no backup. 
Greenway is a very smart player, but needs Dumba’s skillset. 

19 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

We need to re-sign Kahk, trade Talbott (one year left on deal) and bring kid over from Sweden.  He has enough professional hockey in SEL to play back up.  Would save salary cap money (likely), as I am sure we could sign Kahk for less than Talbotts $3.6MM....coming from $700k

Yeah, enough of this charade of recycling over-the-hill goalies as #1 options. Look in the future, Dean & Bill!

The problem with young players is inconsistent play. The ideal situation would be a star quality young goalie backed by a proven, consistent vet. Two young goalies is risky - not that risk is always bad thing. I'd first like to see if Wallstedt dominates in the AHL the way he dominates in the SHL.

• Like 2

That happened in Colorado - North Star fan reaction with Kaprizov's name on his back side of the shirt.

We were able to make 40 shots vs their 38 during that game. Last season we had much less shots vs their shots. Kahkonen still was the best player for this game by stopping 35 shots out of 38 into his net, and providing us with a valuable point.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Agreed on Dumba, while the skill set is there, he makes far too many bone headed plays this year. 
Fiala still makes me nervous on when he will try to beat someone in a 1 on 1 with no backup. 
Greenway is a very smart player, but needs Dumba’s skillset. 

Yes, Talk about opposites !!
Although Greenway somewhere inside has some finesse. Last game(?) he did a nice skate to stick move unlike I've ever seen from him. 😅
it was Brodin-esque even.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

The problem with young players is inconsistent play. The ideal situation would be a star quality young goalie backed by a proven, consistent vet. Two young goalies is risky - not that risk is always bad thing. I'd first like to see if Wallstedt dominates in the AHL the way he dominates in the SHL.

Talbot's got 1 more year on contract after this. So A deal before next seasons's trade deadline would be the usual time but you never get the best deal then compared to this coming summer. A summer deal, Maybe a conbo (Please-Please) :P
but will they move Talbot that soon?
I can't see Wallstedt making the team next season so I'm betting the team extends Talbot another year or 2 beyond his current contract.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, EmptyShelf said:

BTW:  Lowest shooting % on team 10+ games at Forward:  Gaudreau at 5.5%, then DuHaime at 8%.  Gaudreau is also behind Sturm in face-off %.  So, I guess it is just what hand he shoots with🙄.  I thought Fiala missed a lot of nets, but he is twice as accurate as Gaudreau, and at least Duhaime is a rookie.  Of course, Pitlick was at 46%, but didn't 'fit the role we had defined for him...' which, was, what....missing the net and not scoring goals or making ANY plays on top lines?

Agree. Now Pitlick is at 2nd line in Canadiens team and playing together with Dvorak and Drouin. Had a goal last game.

From other news which I took also from Russo twit:

#mnwild lines

Kaprizov-Hartman-Zuccarello

Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Foligno

Boldy-Gaudreau-Fiala

Dewar-Sturm-Duhaime

Benn-Dumba

Kulikov-Goligoski

Merrill-Addison

Rask-Spurgeon

3 goalies in ice.

So, Eriksson Ek back, Spurgeon so far looks like he won’t play Friday. Saturday tho?

3 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Maybe the worst is over, injurywise. But how many of our players have not yet had Covid? We might yet have to battle through that as well.

Unless the current Protocol changes soon, I figure this will be a factor for the entire season and PO's.
Then there's the 4 games in Canada of 7 that are to be made up in Feb. Unless Canada has changed their policy recently, Will those even get to be played then? 🤔

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

Unless the current Protocol changes soon, I figure this will be a factor for the entire season and PO's.
Then there's the 4 games in Canada of 7 that are to be made up in Feb. Unless Canada has changed their policy recently, Will those even get to be played then? 🤔

Looks highly doubtful.

10 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Maybe the worst is over, injurywise. But how many of our players have not yet had Covid? We might yet have to battle through that as well.

First of all NHL is making a smart decision  to stop checking Covid tests on asymptomatic players according to Russo twit. Those players must to play, because this is wasting time, wasting money and wasting tests.

Second, if players are getting sick with respiratory viral infection after receiving previously Covid vaccines that means vaccines are not working because it is a different strain of Covid or even a different corona viral infection like Omicron. Any Covid test is not specific for different strains of Covid, Omicron and the other strain combined both - Deltacron. Why do we need those unspecific tests? To make money in a medical business? Instead of creating effective treatment against this type of infections like it was done against viral hepatitis C infection. 

Last Monday, I was driving during this game to Wisconsin Dells. A portion of game I listened on a radio till signal of 100.3 FM channel was reaching my car, and then I started to listened a doctors forum regarding Covid infection. They said the immunity against future Covid infection for person who had Covid infection before 1000 times higher than for person who had only vaccination against Covid.

Hopefully our players already developed enough immunity against of this infection or will develop soon before the playoffs will start. In my option, they all are our warriors.

• Good Post 1

13 hours ago, Alexandron said:

First of all NHL is making a smart decision  to stop checking Covid tests on asymptomatic players according to Russo twit. Those players must to play, because this is wasting time, wasting money and wasting tests.

That's a good start for sure. 

On 1/18/2022 at 12:30 AM, EmptyShelf said:

We need to re-sign Kahk, trade Talbott (one year left on deal) and bring kid over from Sweden.  He has enough professional hockey in SEL to play back up.  Would save salary cap money (likely), as I am sure we could sign Kahk for less than Talbotts $3.6MM....coming from $700k

He needs to be re-signed sure, but I have a suspicion some teams are very interested in signing him. He's playing lights out day in, day out. So many teams with an average goalie tandem.

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

He needs to be re-signed sure, but I have a suspicion some teams are very interested in signing him. He's playing lights out day in, day out. So many teams with an average goalie tandem.

He’s a restricted free agent with arbitration rights. Unless some other team hits the Wild with an offer sheet, the Wild will have him for one more season, maybe two, depending on the arbitrator’s findings. Or they may come to an agreement before arbitration. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

He’s a restricted free agent with arbitration rights. Unless some other team hits the Wild with an offer sheet, the Wild will have him for one more season, maybe two, depending on the arbitrator’s findings. Or they may come to an agreement before arbitration. 

Cheers, we'll see. It's going to be interesting though.

The Wild goalie department hasn't find any plateau for the last decade or so. It's about time.

8 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Cheers, we'll see. It's going to be interesting though.

The Wild goalie department hasn't find any plateau for the last decade or so. It's about time.

We might get there. Talbot/Kahkonen not bad at all right now and Wallstedt extremely promising so far in his career.