Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

17 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Not sure I'd agree with that. I don't hate York or anything but could have taken Newhook, and Krebs could end up being even better. Honestly, I can't think of a single trade/signing/pick where I see Fletcher as a clear winner, aside from maybe snapping up McEwen for nothing but really, that's not very significant really. 

For  a bad hockey team we do not have a stocked prospect cupboard or wealth of picks coming, just the opposite. On this track, Arizona will pass us in a couple years. 

He also passed up getting Boldy by trading down for York, Boldy has 7g and 7a in 14 games as a rookie. Im not saying his picks couldn't have been better, but so far they aren't bad. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

MacEwan was a waiver pickup.

Atkinson is on pace for 29 goals this season, which isn't chopped liver. Voracek has two. I'll take that as an upgrade for the moment.

The Ellis deal has five more years on it. IMO, too early to call.

Brassard/Thompson/Yanlde were never supposed to be big moves.

Ristolainen I still don't get.

But, for that matter, I don't think that the law of averages applies here. :hocky:

I know McEweb was a waiver pickup, but at least Fletcher made that pickup. 

Brassard,Thompson,  Brown and Yandle were def not supposed to be big moves, but were all pretty much failures . That's 0-4 there.

I forgot Atkinson that was a great trade. 

For now the Ellis move is a failure , only time will tell if he can stay healthy and productive. 

23 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

For now the Ellis move is a failure

Too some. I'm going to wait till i get to see him play and what affect he can have on the club.

This group is beyond needing someone to tell them. They need someone to show them.

That is the part he is going to bring.

A confidence this team is lacking. Giroux has brought that at times but he can't do it alone and he hasn't been showing it enough it sounds (i really can't say to much because i haven't watched - i'm gathering from what i have read) special teams should get a boost too with his quarter backing style - reportedly why Ghost was shipped out i don't want to get into that.

And yes THEN if he can not bring it or even show it to where it reflects in the standing then yes it will be looking like a failure. Till then i hold out hope. I admit i have always like his game and was hoping some of it to spring from the pieces on their blueline now but it has lacked consistency.

Provorov, Sanheim, York and Zamula are good pieces to build around.

They need a righty for the second pair. That is a huge priority this offseason

And i am thinking/hoping/praying/begging ok maybe not begging, for Ellis to be like a Niskanen with arguably better skill.

That remains to be seen so if other are going to bash him before he plays or call him a failure they have every right. 

Flyers need some light at the end of the tunnel....i'm afraid they are just entering it... 

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, radoran said:

MacEwan was a waiver pickup.

Atkinson is on pace for 29 goals this season, which isn't chopped liver. Voracek has two. I'll take that as an upgrade for the moment.

The Ellis deal has five more years on it. IMO, too early to call.

Brassard/Thompson/Yanlde were never supposed to be big moves.

Ristolainen I still don't get.

But, for that matter, I don't think that the law of averages applies here. :hocky:

I guess we can say that all of the Flyers GMs, Homer, Hexy and Schmuck have not hit any homeruns with their first round draft picks. Makar and Barzal are two homerun picks that we passed up for other players.  Boldy is looking like another one. Farabee ,York and Foerester will probably very good players. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Brassard,Thompson,  Brown and Yandle were def not supposed to be big moves, but were all pretty much failures . That's 0-4 there.

Brown's another waiver wire thing. (I actually heard an interview with Briere where he was citing Brown as a guy they were counting on at the start of the season, which was somewhat distressing as Brown wasn't even on the roster at the start of the season and if you're relying on a waiver wire pickup, you've got bigger problems).

Brassard did exactly what he was supposed to do - be a stop gap middle 6 C. It was the organizational* failure of how they handled Hayes' situation that made them rely on him more than they should have and play him in a featured 2C role.

Thompson was a bottom six veteran presence and nothing more c/should have been expected.

Yandle was a bottom pair vet with the ability to run the 2PP.

I never expected much from any of them, and they've pretty much all been playing out of their intended role.

Yes, the Ellis deal has some issues - and that's the nature of injury. I know the "injury history" but it really wasn't a facet of his hip/groin as it was other areas. Again, the organizational* failure of not just shutting him down and getting him fit for either the second half of the season and not to make more certain he will be ready for next season is shining through. If he's likely to need surgery, why not get him the damn surgery? His issue went from D2D to W2W to "he's back" and then to LTIR. It's clear that his hip wasn't going to be better this season. They should have done what they needed to do, but they were still following the "make the playoffs and anything can happen" dragon.

And, yes, @flyercanuck Atkinson has longer term than Voracek. I'll take Atkinson, with his goal scoring and his more physical game and $2+M cheaper over the Pierogi Pirate any day. On pace for 29 this year. $6M for a 25+ goal scorer is exactly what the team needed. It's what they thought they were getting for $7M with JVR - and then the geniuses played JVR on the 3rd line with Scott freaking Laughton as his center.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Too some. I'm going to wait till i get to see him play and what affect he can have on the club.

This group is beyond needing someone to tell them. They need someone to show them.

That is the part he is going to bring.

A confidence this team is lacking. Giroux has brought that at times but he can't do it alone and he hasn't been showing it enough it sounds (i really can't say to much because i haven't watched - i'm gathering from what i have read) special teams should get a boost too with his quarter backing style - reportedly why Ghost was shipped out i don't want to get into that.

And yes THEN if he can not bring it or even show it to where it reflects in the standing then yes it will be looking like a failure. Till then i hold out hope. I admit i have always like his game and was hoping some of it to spring from the pieces on their blueline now but it has lacked consistency.

Provorov, Sanheim, York and Zamula are good pieces to build around.

They need a righty for the second pair. That is a huge priority this offseason

And i am thinking/hoping/praying/begging ok maybe not begging, for Ellis to be like a Niskanen with arguably better skill.

That remains to be seen so if other are going to bash him before he plays or call him a failure they have every right. 

Flyers need some light at the end of the tunnel....i'm afraid they are just entering it... 

I don't know if they need a right handed defenseman as much as they need someone who can play the right side. The handedness shouldn't be a big deal, but this is a franchise that's also stuck in a frame where traditional roles need to be followed when building a team. Instead of building a team around who the best players are, they build it around who fits the role the best. That part of the reason the Flyers are the needs that they are. 

Just now, RonJeremy said:

I guess we can say that all of the Flyers GMs, Homer, Hexy and Schmuck have not hit any homeruns with their first round draft picks. Makar and Barzal are two homerun picks that we passed up for other players.  Boldy is looking like another one. Farabee ,York and Foerester will probably very good players. 

If Provorov is broken and if Couturier is shot, then yes. But those are two firsts that have panned out barring that.

Forget Barzal, why not 20/20 Rantanen instead of Provorov? It's a fun game.

That said, they got a guy who scored 20+ for three seasons in Konecny. That's not bad at all, but where did that guy go??? Same thing might happen to Farabee and ol' Forester...

It's the way they've always done it...

Hell, even Laughton as a 20 overall in a Very Weak draft has at least been what he was expected to be - a third line NHL player with upside.

The Morin pick remains a bad one. There's not a guy in the first after Rubustov that is a game changer, except maybe Tage Thompson. And Nolan Patrick is clearly a bust barring a remarkable turnaround.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

If Provorov is broken and if Couturier is shot, then yes. But those are two firsts that have panned out barring that.

Forget Barzal, why not 20/20 Rantanen instead of Provorov? It's a fun game.

That said, they got a guy who scored 20+ for three seasons in Konecny. That's not bad at all, but where did that guy go??? Same thing might happen to Farabee and ol' Forester...

It's the way they've always done it...

Hell, even Laughton as a 20 overall in a Very Weak draft has at least been what he was expected to be - a third line NHL player with upside.

The Morin pick remains a bad one. There's not a guy in the first after Rubustov that is a game changer, except maybe Tage Thompson. And Nolan Patrick is clearly a bust barring a remarkable turnaround.

One guy who took a while to make the NHL and is playing good is Keifer Bellows on the Isle.I thought we would take him or Max Jones, but we traded down for Rubstov . I think Jones is in the NHL but not much of a factor. We did pass up Pulock for Sam. We have made solid picks, but no real game changers. In the old days we found some real gems like Poulin, Kerr and Sinasalo, all undrafted FA signings  and Renberg, I think was a late pick. We could use a little luck

• Like 1

Not to be a debbie downer ...I don't see the Wild trading Rossi.  Don't get me wrong,  I think it would be a fantastic return for G.  I just don't think the Wild move him.

Besides ....do any of "really" trust this brain trust in doing the right thing?????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

He also passed up getting Boldy by trading down for York, Boldy has 7g and 7a in 14 games as a rookie. Im not saying his picks couldn't have been better, but so far they aren't bad. 

I have no problem with passing on Boldy for York. I didn't like it at first, but Cam York looks more and more like a Brian Rafalski type every day. That's a top pairing guy. He can also play the right side, so give him another year and a top pairing of Provorov - York works for me.

41 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We have exceeded the league maximum for underachievers. Its a special cap, actually we are over by alot.

They've created a culture that absolutely lionizes players who have achieved basically nothing, never hold them accountable, and accept their mediocrity.

And then wonder why guys don't develop...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

16 minutes ago, radoran said:

They've created a culture that absolutely lionizes players who have achieved basically nothing, never hold them accountable, and accept their mediocrity.

And then wonder why guys don't develop...

So after Giroux is traded...IF he is traded.

Who becomes the next Captain?

Is that worthy of it's own thread or should we wait till it happens? IF it does.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is that worthy of it's own thread or should we wait till it happens? IF it does.

Good question. I suspect they just go with A's rest of the year but next year? Assuming they don't just bring Giroux back (which is a possible) there aren't a lot of veteran leaders in place to assume the job. Lack of leadership is a problem in general. 

2 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Good question. I suspect they just go with A's rest of the year but next year? Assuming they don't just bring Giroux back (which is a possible) there aren't a lot of veteran leaders in place to assume the job. Lack of leadership is a problem in general. 

So would there be a former Captain out there available through free agency or even on the trade block worth looking into if that person isn't on the team?

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR will be the new captain, he leads by example.

• Uggh... 1

I'd like to see Scott Laughton become the next captain.

He will do whatever for the team.

He will lead by example and I think he'd be able to call guys out.

The captain doesn't need to be the best player, he needs to be able to lift those around him up.

I think I see those qualities in 21.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'd like to see Scott Laughton become the next captain.

He will do whatever for the team.

He will lead by example and I think he'd be able to call guys out.

The captain doesn't need to be the best player, he needs to be able to lift those around him up.

I think I see those qualities in 21.

Coach will be his biggest fan.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Haha 1

So apparently St Louis might be putting in an offer for Giroux that's based around Scott Perunovich, Jake Neighbors, and their 2022 first round pick. The article also mentions that Colorado is open to moving their 2023 1st and Justin Barron. Here's the article:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2022/02/nhl-rumors-st-louis-blues-making-huge.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So apparently St Louis might be putting in an offer for Giroux that's based around Scott Perunovich, Jake Neighbors, and their 2022 first round pick. The article also mentions that Colorado is open to moving their 2023 1st and Justin Barron. Here's the article:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2022/02/nhl-rumors-st-louis-blues-making-huge.html

I'm sure that much from Montreal would be with intentions of him playing for them for awhile not sure Claude would be up with that.

But the 2023 from the Avs is a nice trade chip but you have to imagine it would be a late one.

I'm not sure how deep that draft is....i need to see i guess to consider further.