Charging Penalties on Rinaldo

Guest Adamflyers

Am I just being a homer here or are these charging calls against Rinaldo getting ridiculous? The one tonight against the Red Wings was brutal in my opinion. Seemed that Rinaldo was punished because of how hard he hit him. The NBC announcers were saying that Rinaldo was clearly hunting for a hit. Isn't that what most big hitters are doing out there? I honestly hope Rinaldo does not stop hunting for big hits, so long as he does them within the rules of the game.

I could not see how many strides he took to get to the guy, so if he took the 3 needed then I stand corrected. From what I saw, it looked like a great hit that was penalized either for the name on the back of the jersey or the crest on the front.

The difference was Kronwall left his feet and Rinaldo didn't.

Rinaldo didn't stride into the guy, he glided into him, and the victim's own momentum had as much to do with the hit as Rinaldo's. It was a classic great hit, and classic, "Oh, it's Rinaldo? TWO!" from the zebes.

Rinaldo didn't stride into the guy, he glided into him, and the victim's own momentum had as much to do with the hit as Rinaldo's. It was a classic great hit, and classic, "Oh, it's Rinaldo? TWO!" from the zebes.

Ok, so I wasn't the only one who thought Kronwall left his feet. I thought maybe I was just blinded by my anger. If it were up to me, neither hit would warrent a penalty, but since Rinaldo was called for "charging" I thought it only fair that Kronwall get the same call.

Ive notice that too, i have never seen a player get called more for charging on a perfect text book check. Rinaldo might be the best hitter weve had since Lindros. The refes definitely have it in for him, there have bben a number of clean hits that they called him for charging. i think it because everyone he hits gets laid out, so they assume its a charge. rinaldo is just a great hitter

@Adamflyers

-Well now Rinaldo is having a hearing the the NHL's 'player safety' supervisor ...... uggghh.

It seems more like the league is targeting guys like Rinaldo and Sestito because they are one dimensional and are trying to eliminate that type of player from the league. On the other hand it's OK for Lucic to drill guys because he can actually play. Same with Ovechkin.

I'm kinda torn.. to be fair, when Rinaldo is out there he's 'looking' to make a big hit and that's really his only purpose. I think it would be different if he was a productive player who could hit when the opportunity presents itself..but is not out there headhunting like he seems to do. On the other hand his hits are, for the most part, pretty clean textbook hits that do not deserve these suspensions/fines. Again, it's more about the league trying to dictate the type of player they want to see out there than enforcing an actual written rule.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Rinaldo-disciplinary-hearing-today.html

apparently he'll be having a hearing regarding the hit. If you ask me this is a classic charging call at the absolute most. Ericsson may have been vulnerable but he put himself in that position by taking an extremely long to to admire his pass. Sorry bud. You don't want to get railed? Keep your head on a swivel and protect yourself. Who the hell skates behind the net NOT expecting to get run at?

When is Kronwall's hearing with player safety?

I could be biased, but Kronwall throws pretty clean hits for the most part. There have been a few which have been questionable, and he's been called for them. Kronner's hit on Briere looked clean to me. He left his feet on impact, not before. He's managed to figure out how to throw the hardest body checks around and still be within the rules.

It is a thin line he's walking, because fortunately, he's never inflicted any serious injuries. Once he does though, I'm sure he'll get a phone call from Shanahan, and be scrutinized a little more.

The NHL is trying take these type of players out of the game. Two weeks ago it was Patrick Kaleta. He could not give a good clean hit without getting 2 for charging or roughing. Now they've moved onto Rinaldo. It's a joke and these bad calls to run players out of the league can have effects on playoff races.

Ok, so I wasn't the only one who thought Kronwall left his feet. I thought maybe I was just blinded by my anger. If it were up to me, neither hit would warrent a penalty, but since Rinaldo was called for "charging" I thought it only fair that Kronwall get the same call.

Rinaldo looked like he left his feet and was going for his head. 25 second mark. The puck was already gone, left feet and went for his head.

Rinaldo is Carcillo at this point. Stupid penalties at the wrong time. Hopefully at some point he learns to pick and choose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtHdbV1UU8

I could be biased, but Kronwall throws pretty clean hits for the most part. There have been a few which have been questionable, and he's been called for them. Kronner's hit on Briere looked clean to me. He left his feet on impact, not before. He's managed to figure out how to throw the hardest body checks around and still be within the rules.

It is a thin line he's walking, because fortunately, he's never inflicted any serious injuries. Once he does though, I'm sure he'll get a phone call from Shanahan, and be scrutinized a little more.

He is usually a clean hitter, but to hear the tv guys shame Rinaldo, and then praise Kronwall for something similar was rather annoying.

I could not see how many strides he took to get to the guy, so if he took the 3 needed then I stand corrected.

Actually, although I always thought the number of steps mattered too, I'm pretty sure that if you look in the rule book it says nothing about how many strides constitutes charging. Basically it just says "violently". Which pretty much covers... well, hockey.

Rule 42 - Charging

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

A minor, major or a major and a game misconduct shall be imposed on a player who charges a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper is within his goal crease.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

42.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player guilty of charging an opponent.

42.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player guilty of charging an opponent (see 42.5).

42.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by charging.

42.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

42.6 Fines and Suspensions – When a major penalty and a game misconduct is assessed for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall be imposed.

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26331

I am the first to defend any Flyer, but after looking at those replays, my opinion hasn't changed..that Kronwall hit is clean. Awkward and unorthodox, but clean.

Rinaldo's is as borderline as it gets..he is almost airbourne when contact is made, it's very close to being late/interference, and it's from the blindside. Granted, 5 years ago, that doesn't even get a penalty. In the "new" NHL, it's simple; you just can't make that hit-especially when you just to 2 fines in the last 2 weeks. If the RedWing is facing towards Rinaldo when he hits him, I think he gets away with it.

I know the 1st rule of hockey is don't admire your pass. But like Peg said up above, the league is trying to eliminate that type of player, and more importantly, that type of hit.

Rinaldo left his feet. He lunged into his head. I have no problem with either call--under current rules. I kind of prefer the rules growing up...you didn't have to leave your junk at home.

http://www.philly.co...ring-today.html

apparently he'll be having a hearing regarding the hit. If you ask me this is a classic charging call at the absolute most. Ericsson may have been vulnerable but he put himself in that position by taking an extremely long to to admire his pass. Sorry bud. You don't want to get railed? Keep your head on a swivel and protect yourself. Who the hell skates behind the net NOT expecting to get run at?

I couldn't agree more. I mean, could Ericsson have chosen a WORSE place to look behind him than skating behind his own net? What ever happened to the player putting himself in a vulnerable position?

NEW YORK -- Philadelphia Flyers forward Zac Rinaldo was suspended by the NHL for two games on Monday for charging Detroit Red Wings defenceman Jonathan Ericsson.

Rinaldo jumped into a body check that sent Ericsson sprawling to the ice behind the net at 13:25 of the first period in Detroit's 4-3 win over the Flyers on Sunday.

"Although Ericsson should've been more aware and prepared to face an oncoming check after reversing the puck, that still doesn't allow Rinaldo to launch himself to deliver such a high hit," said NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan in a video statement. "By doing so, Rinaldo turned what might have been a hard, legal body check into an illegal charge."

Shanahan noted in his statement that Rinaldo had been fined US$5,000 for a late hit and a slew foot in a 6-4 loss to the New Jersey Devils on Feb. 4.

Ericsson was uninjured on the play and stayed in the game.

Rinaldo was given a two-minute minor penalty for charging by in-game officials at the time of the incident.

Rinaldo will forfeit $5,885.88 in salary. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

- http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387696

UnF**kingbelievable. The NHL is literally trying to neuter the Flyers, while offering their players no similar protections from other teams' headhunters (Volchenkov comes to mind immediately). This is really pissing me off. How the f**k are the [Flyers] players supposed to know what is and isn't a penalty when things are called so unevenly, and punished even less fairly? You're telling me THAT hit is suspendable for TWO GAMES??? It wasn't even worth the two minute minor!

I immediately want every hit that concussed a Flyer to be suspended for the rest of the 2012 calendar year. Seems fair and reasonable based on a TWO GAME SUSPENSION FOR A TWO MINUTE PENALTY. That Queef that hit Pronger in the head with his careless stick needs a lifetime ban in all hockey leagues in North America. With the 'precedent' the NHL is offering based on this suspension, it seems par.