Yandle to be scratched v. Tronno

radoran

Unbelievable. So they scratch the guy for 2 games then play him tonight vs. Columbus? WTF, add insult to injury much?

If he was sick and it was his choice to sit - I can't seem to find out for sure - okay fine. Otherwise man oh man the Flyers look petty and downright classless. The Flyers deliberately end his streak at 989. He sits for 2 games and then ... they put him back into the lineup. What in the flyingFK could they be thinking?

If it was Yandle's decision I take it all back. If he was too sick to go ... fine. But I've read nothing to indicate that it was his call to sit. I sure hope there's more to the story...I guess there almost has to be, no? As screwed up as the Flyers' FO is I don't imagine for a minute they would be this discourteous, especially to a guy who they signed after he was bought out (!). It wasn't like he got to the Flyers via some 3-party trade he was signed directly by the brilliant Chuck Fletcher.

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

So they scratch the guy for 2 games then play him tonight vs. Columbus? WTF, add insult to injury much?

I can't honestly say I'll spend a nanosecond worrying about it.

I was more disgusted by the fact they signed the bozo to begin with. 989 games and provided almost nothing for the last 200.

They let him get his meaningless consecutive games of worthlessness. No one else was going to sign him and he would never have gotten his stupid streak record.  My problem is their putting him back in the lineup.  He is frankly no longer an NHL player.  

Apparently, no head coach taught him how to play defense.  Because, you know, that's a thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

If only, right?  Facts are undeniable, after all...  🙄

You will let us know when you accidentally find a fact, right?  Use a flashlight. Wouldn't want you to accidentally trip on one and hurt yourself.

Edited by ruxpin

30 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

6 pages on Keith Yandle is sad and more than he deserves.

WGAF about this nobody.  Sitting him was the best move this org made in two years.

I once saw a thread on the Oilers subreddit with hundreds of posts, arguing about the healthy scratching of Cam Barker. I sincerely hope that your team never reaches the nadir of those Oilers teams.

• Haha 1

I guess I’m bored but I can’t let this go. And I’m a little surprised by the lack of agreement that this was an awful thing to do. Yes I get it we’re all above worrying or wondering what happens to Keith Yandle. I hear ya and I am too. And obviously in the end none of it really affects us.

But I don’t think it entirely falls under Who Cares if you’re a Flyers’ fan. Their handling of Yandle probably won’t prevent a FA signing (esp with Fletcher handing out the contracts). But it does reverberate around the league and has to make folks wonder what possessed the Flyers to screw him over that way. 

Yes yes Yandle should be grateful for any ice time…no one is guaranteed…etc. all that is true. But unless it was his call to sit  (which I highly doubt) then this will go down as an ugly, black mark against the Flyers. 

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But I don’t think it entirely falls under Who Cares if you’re a Flyers’ fan. Their handling of Yandle probably won’t prevent a FA signing (esp with Fletcher handing out the contracts). But it does reverberate around the league and has to make folks wonder what possessed the Flyers to screw him over that way. 

Yes yes Yandle should be grateful for any ice time…no one is guaranteed…etc. all that is true. But unless it was his call to sit  (which I highly doubt) then this will go down as an ugly, black mark against the Flyers. 

The opinions of the players will probably correlate roughly to where they are in their career:

-Young player trying to break in to the league: "Sucks to get old, dude."

-Guy playing out the string: "No respect for veterans anymore!"

26 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I guess I’m bored but I can’t let this go. And I’m a little surprised by the lack of agreement that this was an awful thing to do. Yes I get it we’re all above worrying or wondering what happens to Keith Yandle. I hear ya and I am too. And obviously in the end none of it really affects us.

On the surface this make look bad but the only reason he suited up again was Seeler is hurt.

Otherwise he would still be a healthy scratch.

Now sure i agree he shouldn't have been scratched for Seeler because i do not see him as being part of the future beyond this year.

However as someone else pointed out he should be thankfully the Flyers even signed so he could break the record or otherwise his streak would have already been broken.

No matter what seems the Flyers can't catch a break.

Yandle could be pissed and the front office and at the end of the day i don't care i am already pissed at them too for other reasons well documented here.

I sure this is Yandle's last year unless some desperate team like the Yotes throws him a bone.

But they way he and Kessel have broken this record takes away most of the glory from it anyways.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I can't honestly say I'll spend a nanosecond worrying about it.

This is why i tolerate Yandle....

...if he can help them land a prospect like this i will cheer for Yandle!!!

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I completely get what you're saying, and one side of the brain says "hear hear!"

But ultimately, they gave him the opportunity to break the record and add to it.  Had they benched him for a random game prior getting the record, then I all sides of my brain says "hear hear!"  But they ultimately did him a solid by signing him, letting him play despite the fact he clearly can't and then even let him add to it.  They don't owe him or anyone else the roster spot or the right to continue playing when he's a detriment and his playing is in opposition to what they clearly should be focusing on (giving the kids a chance to show them).     It's sad his streak is over, but the streak long outlasted any other reason he should be on the ice.

Again, I'm fully on board with the complaint if they did it any time before he broke the record.   After that, earn the spot or take a seat...and don't forget the butter on the popcorn.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

49 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I completely get what you're saying, and one side of the brain says "hear hear!"

But ultimately, they gave him the opportunity to break the record and add to it.  Had they benched him for a random game prior getting the record, then I all sides of my brain says "hear hear!"  But they ultimately did him a solid by signing him, letting him play despite the fact he clearly can't and then even let him add to it.  They don't owe him or anyone else the roster spot or the right to continue playing when he's a detriment and his playing is in opposition to what they clearly should be focusing on (giving the kids a chance to show them).     It's sad his streak is over, but the streak long outlasted any other reason he should be on the ice.

Again, I'm fully on board with the complaint if they did it any time before he broke the record.   After that, earn the spot or take a seat...and don't forget the butter on the popcorn.

I personally didn't even think they owed him the streak. He owed  it to his employer to play at an NHL calibre, which he clearly wasn't. So he got a record he didn't really deserve. I don't get why anyone feels sorry for the guy.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I personally didn't even think they owed him the streak. He owed  it to his employer to play at an NHL calibre, which he clearly wasn't. So he got a record he didn't really deserve. I don't get why anyone feels sorry for the guy.

Yeah, I kind of think that way too.  

But @GratefulFlyers is kind of presenting his argument from a "players fraternity" standpoint.  Objectively, I'm with you on that I don't think they owed him the streak.  But in the way Grateful is framing it from the players' standpoint, I get the argument --  especially as it relates to anything before breaking the record.   I think he actually has a point even after that from a player's perspective, but I think it's a lot less after the record.

Look, he sucked from game 1 and he actually sucked last year on the Penguins.  Fletcher legitimately did him a favor by signing him and giving him the chance (for the moment, ignore the opportunity to apply other adjectives or classifications on his signing him -- we're still from a player's perspective).  Pretending that Yandle had other options, it really could have been perceived as insult-to-injury if they then benched him ahead of his breaking the record.   There had to be at least tacit agreement that "if you're healthy, we'll let you break this thing."   I think Grateful has a point that some players will feel like "he was only like 15 games shy of 1000 and you're not going to win a damn thing anyway..."  but the reality is he has his name --albeit temporarily -- in the record books because they allowed him to play and get his moment despite the fact he was a terrible player literally all year.

Ultimately, there might be someone who chooses to go to Arizona or Ottawa or somewhere because "they screwed Keith!"    But the reality is there will be many more who think Keith was treated quite well but choose elsewhere because "Philly has no hope of being remotely good," completely independent of the Yandle thing.

And have I mentioned Yandle sucks; I didn't want to sign him, and I won't miss him for a nanosecond?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He owed  it to his employer to play at an NHL calibre, which he clearly wasn't.

Exactly he is lucky he isn't thrown in jail for impersonating a defenseman....or is it defenceman?

Wut aboot you??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Look, he sucked from game 1 and he actually sucked last year on the Penguins. 

For the record, I know he was on the Panthers. But somehow my phone (or fingers) put "Penguins."  I need to read my post before hitting reply now that I don't have edit ability.

• Like 1

From an article from The Athletic….I think this is spot on.

But Yandle has also been, objectively speaking, one of the NHL’s worst players during the 2021-22 season.

This really isn’t an overstatement. Yandle’s offensive results — the key strength of his game for years — have been underwhelming at best, for starters. He has 15 points in 67 games, and the Flyers have scored 12 power-play goals with him on the ice while allowing six shorthanded tallies. A plus-six net over 157 minutes of PP time isn’t exactly strong.

The real issue, however, lies in his two-way results. And it’s both traditional and advanced stats that view his work this season as dismal.

Negative-39 plus/minus rating (worst in NHL)

38.10 percent on-ice expected goals share at five-on-five (worst among NHL defensemen)

31.74 percent on-ice actual goals share at five-on-five (fourth-worst among NHL defensemen)

Negative-0.480 impact on team xG differential at even strength per Evolving-Hockey’s RAPM model (worst in the NHL)

Negative-12.7 Goals Above Replacement per Evolving-Hockey’s GAR model (worst in the NHL among skaters)

In short, the Flyers have gotten utterly bulldozed both territorially and from an actual goal differential standpoint with Yandle on the ice this year. Purely going by merit, Yandle has not played well enough to warrant consistent inclusion in the lineup. That’s important context here.

Its a great article in which I can post when I get home as I’m currently on vacation. ( Kind of hard to do from my home)

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 4

Good article, and I can’t challenge it. What was said about Yandle’s game by the author and by most of us here (incl me) is indisputable. But we’re not talking about the merits of his game. His dismal failure to be a legit NHL defenseman has been evident forever and once his point production dropped off a cliff last year there was absolutely no reason to hire the guy to play hockey.

But that’s exactly what Fletcher and the Flyers did. They knew damn well what they were getting long before the ink dried on his contract so to bump him now…(!)…after watching him cough up the puck, fail to score on the PP, etc. all season long, how else can you read it except as a big fat FU to him by the Flyers?

@flyercanuck says Yandle owed the Flyers and normally that’s a big part of the equation, i.e. how will this guy help us? What value does he bring? With Yandle, once it became apparent due to injuries that he wouldn’t be a 7th but a starter it was up to AV then Yeo to evaluate him properly. They didn’t. They let him skate. To 989 and then for no apparent reason yanked him out of the lineup. Then 2 games later put him back in. If that’s not the definition of fkng with a guy then there’s no such thing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly he is lucky he isn't thrown in jail for impersonating a defenseman....or is it defenceman?

Wut aboot you??

Y'all need to calm down. Both are right...I just spell it the way the country that invented the word spells it. You and Brett Favre can spell it your own way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, pilldoc said:

From an article from The Athletic….I think this is spot on.

But Yandle has also been, objectively speaking, one of the NHL’s worst players during the 2021-22 season.

This really isn’t an overstatement. Yandle’s offensive results — the key strength of his game for years — have been underwhelming at best, for starters. He has 15 points in 67 games, and the Flyers have scored 12 power-play goals with him on the ice while allowing six shorthanded tallies. A plus-six net over 157 minutes of PP time isn’t exactly strong.

The real issue, however, lies in his two-way results. And it’s both traditional and advanced stats that view his work this season as dismal.

Negative-39 plus/minus rating (worst in NHL)

38.10 percent on-ice expected goals share at five-on-five (worst among NHL defensemen)

31.74 percent on-ice actual goals share at five-on-five (fourth-worst among NHL defensemen)

Negative-0.480 impact on team xG differential at even strength per Evolving-Hockey’s RAPM model (worst in the NHL)

Negative-12.7 Goals Above Replacement per Evolving-Hockey’s GAR model (worst in the NHL among skaters)

In short, the Flyers have gotten utterly bulldozed both territorially and from an actual goal differential standpoint with Yandle on the ice this year. Purely going by merit, Yandle has not played well enough to warrant consistent inclusion in the lineup. That’s important context here.

Its a great article in which I can post when I get home as I’m currently on vacation. ( Kind of hard to do from my home)

A long story to say Chuck did a great job getting Niskanen to fill in till he retired but had since bombed with Gustafsson and Yandle as labeled as "help" for the blueline when it was more of boat anchor for the kids to lug around...

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They let him skate. To 989 and then for no apparent reason yanked him out of the lineup. Then 2 games later put him back in. If that’s not the definition of fkng with a guy then there’s no such thing.

They didn't F with him enough imo: they should have sat him at 987.

This like getting upset that the organization didn't leave enough towels in the locker room for Adam Oates.

Edited by SCFlyguy
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

They didn't F with him enough imo: they should have let sat him at 987.

This like getting upset that the organization didn't leave enough towels in the locker room for Adam Oates.

No they should have never signed him.

Had to be a better option out there...

• Like 1