Yandle to be scratched v. Tronno

radoran

Wow this seems kinda raw to me. I realize they want to play the AHL guys but there has to be a better way than borking Yandle's streak. God knows he doesn't belong in an NHL lineup but the Flyers signed him and in this lost season I think they should just let him play the remaining games.

• Uggh... 3

11 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wow this seems kinda raw to me. I realize they want to play the AHL guys but there has to be a better way than borking Yandle's streak. God knows he doesn't belong in an NHL lineup but the Flyers signed him and in this lost season I think they should just let him play the remaining games.

No...no they shouldn't. They should be seeing what they have in young players and whether they actually belong in the NHL...unlike Yandsie. 

Stop this building a team around a mediocre player and his bro-dogs.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

57 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

He has been sick for a few days now so that is more likely why they are doing it maybe it is his choice.

I can't really say but I think that is the reason.

Because if they were truly wanting to play the youth then Sandström would be playing a lot of these games this season since the Phantoms aren't making the playoffs and Jones waived.

And Thompson WOULDN’T be playing.

So I have to lean towards it being Yandle doesn't feel well till otherwise proven differently.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 2

Well I hope that's it. I really don't care. Of course it's time to see what the young guys can do, get them some minutes against NHL competition. But after all this time, this wreck of a season, if Yandle can go it just seems like the right thing to do is let him play out the string. It won't change much for the Flyers either way.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Welp....
There goes his draft day trade value... no active iron man streak means, no return! :ph34r:

In actuality the streak held him back from being traded...no team wanted to be the team to trade for him and BE forced to dress him because they didn't want to be the club to scratch him otherwise I think some one might have traded for him he is really cheap.

That is why it took him being sick to scratch him now because Flyers didn't want bad mojo being the ones to do it even though it was so obvious it needed to be done.

And he has no trade value really at the draft I think because he is a UFA at seasons end.

I can not wait for his Flyer career to be over...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

In actuality the streak held him back from being traded...no team wanted to be the team to trade for him and BE forced to dress him because they didn't want to be the club to scratch him otherwise I think some one might have traded for him he is really cheap.

That is why it took him being sick to scratch him now because Flyers didn't want bad mojo being the ones to do it even though it was so obvious it needed to be done.

And he has no trade value really at the draft I think because he is a UFA at seasons end.

I can not wait for his Flyer career to be over...

Ahhh, I stand corrected then.
Sounds like GOOD news for Flyer fans then, no? :) 

Flyers team definitely needs a purging.

I'm no Yandle fan but given this season is over and the team is pure s@it, it would be a classier move (that the players would appreciate) to let him get to 1000. You can play the kids and him. Sit Risto or whoever any given night. Doesn't matter. The lower we end up the better at this point. 

I'm hating this team right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ahhh, I stand corrected then.
Sounds like GOOD news for Flyer fans then, no? :) 

Flyers team definitely needs a purging.

Without doubt.

I don't hate the person but he isn't helping at all except for being a nice guy.

I wish him well.

55 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I'm no Yandle fan but given this season is over and the team is pure s@it, it would be a classier move (that the players would appreciate) to let him get to 1000. You can play the kids and him. Sit Risto or whoever any given night. Doesn't matter. The lower we end up the better at this point. 

I'm hating this team right now. 

He is sick so it more than likely is his choice to not play.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

I'd hate to see the streak end, but what's the reason for not sitting him before this...is it to get to 1000 games, he's an NHL worst -39, and he not long on the stat sheet either, so sorry Mr. Y...time to sit.

Yeah and when you watch him play no goddamm wonder he has an iron man streak because the next time he steps up and challenges a puck carrier crossing his blueline will be the first time.

The only other defenseman I have seen come through Philly that was better at skating backwards and avoiding contract while conceding the blueline was Hall of famer Andrew Macdonald.

And if you held a gun to my head and made me choose between Macdonald or Yandle I am taking Macdonald 10 out of 10 times and that is saying something that almost made me puke typing that.

Good riddance Keith!!!

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He got the steak by avoiding contact in a contact league...I don't see why they don't let it continue if he doesn't play. :thumbsu:

HA yep just got through typing that very thing...

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is sick so it more than likely is his choice to not play.

Where are you seeing that he's sick?  I don't see that anywhere.  This article says it was a management decision to get the young guys some ice time.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/mike-yeo-explains-flyers-decision-scratch-keith-yandle-ending-his-ironman

34 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Where are you seeing that he's sick?  I don't see that anywhere.  This article says it was a management decision to get the young guys some ice time.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/mike-yeo-explains-flyers-decision-scratch-keith-yandle-ending-his-ironman

Charlie or/if not him someone maybe Jordan Hall said it the other day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

The Levee has finally broken. Thank God, he should not play another game this season and neither should Thompson.

I would keep Thompson around to coach. 

He's been a solid face-off man.

Since G left and Couturier is out, the Flyers have been putrid on draws.

Thompson could be a development guy, has seen all facets of NHL life except a championship. Ups downs all of it.

I'd rather see Laczynski than him at this point in the season.

I don't think Nate is useless. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He got the steak by avoiding contact in a contact league...I don't see why they don't let it continue if he doesn't play. :thumbsu:

Sorry, but that's absolute bs. Yes, he's well over the hill, but he used to be a decent D man and he used to be pretty physical too. 

I still say it's classless and pointless. 

• Haha 1

Nate Thompson was a good pickup. For the price he’s an asset. He won’t get big minutes working the 4th line, he’s not blocking any younger guy in that spot,  and he is a good face-off man. I don’t know whether he can teach or coach but if he can I’d say he’s not only an asset but a valuable one at that.

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Sorry, but that's absolute bs. Yes, he's well over the hill, but he used to be a decent D man and he used to be pretty physical too. 

I still say it's classless and pointless. 

He used to be a pretty good winger playing D. He was never good at defence. He was also never known for his physicality. I'm sure you could pull up a youtube video or two showing him throwing a hit...and I can pull up one of Zac Rinaldo scoring a nice goal.

The guy is done. He's a big part of the reason this team stinks. And having a GM who likes to pay guys for what they did somewhere else is why we'll never win a cup. This is how far this franchise has fallen...forget winning a cup. Forget the Hart trophy, or something that really matters. Lets win "old washed up guy who avoided contact for almost 1000 games, 90% of it for other teams" award. We can gloat about that until Fletch makes his next really bad long term signing. So probably a few months.

Lets see what the kids have...the games don't matter other than seeding. 

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He got his ice time because he used to be able to produce some points while on the ice and used to be somewhat capable of moving and passing the puck.  NEVER because of his defensive prowess.

I don’t disagree with any of your post but think it is important to point out that in the modern NHL, what separates the elite defensemen from the average is their offensive game.  The Norris Trophy is awarded to the offensive defensemen (don’t twist my words, I’m not saying Yandle should’ve ever been considered for the Norris).

Yandle was (<—-key word) always up there in points while he never really played on an elite team when he was producing.