*** 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (EDM WINS 4-1) ***

EDM vs CGY  

11 members have voted

1. 1. North vs South. Blue vs. Red. Oil vs Fire. You choose!

• 1-- Oilers in 4. Connor and Co. dose the Flames with the quickness of a January blizzard!
    • 2-- Oilers in 5. Cgy finds out that Edm is no Dallas when it comes to offense and fizzle under siege.
    • 3-- Oilers in 6. Very competitive series that sees both teams impose their will, but EDM still proves too much.
    • 4-- Oilers in 7. Classic series where the star power of the Oilers and their young 40 yr old netminder prove the difference
    • 5-- Flames in 4. Calgary burns the Oil, as Edm can't withstand the heat!
    • 6-- Flames in 5. Jacob Markstrom and the Flames make Mike Smith look like he's 50, and the Oil look like their WHL counterparts
    • 7-- Flames in 6. Very good series, but Calgary's overall team depth proves superior
    • 8-- Flames in 7. Epic roller coaster battle, but the Flames are just not gonna be denied their West Finals berth.

This poll is closed to new votes

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (CGY Leads 1-0)
On 5/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, Math said:

Goalies: :flames:

Defense: :flames:

Offense: :oilers:

Special teams (PP/PK): :oilers:

Coaching: :flames:

Mental: :flames:

Experience: :flames:

Robustness: :oilers:

Depth: :flames:

Another one going to the limit. I picked the Flames to reach the SC final and I think goaltending and defence will make the difference. Flames in 7.

Robustness goes to the oil...? Doesn't robustness mean toughness...? No way is Edmonton more robust than Calgary...

Tkachuk scores 3, Flames beat Oilers 9-6 in Game 1

ss_20220519_004606409_1970967_default.jp

Relive every goal scored in the Flames' thrilling 9-6 Game 1 win vs. the Oilers on Wednesday night.

Updated: 3 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — The first Battle of Alberta in the playoffs in 31 years didn't disappoint.

The Calgary Flames got a hat trick from Matthew Tkachuk to outlast the Edmonton Oilers 9-6 and grab Game 1 of the second round series Wednesday night after a blistering game that saw the most goals in a postseason game in 29 years.

“Strange game,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “We scored on our first two shots and there were probably six different games out there. Take the win. Move on.”

Blake Coleman scored twice for the Flames. Rasmus Andersson and Andrew Mangiapane each had a goal and two assists, and Elias Lindholm and Brett Ritchie also scored. Jacob Markstrom stopped 22 shots for the win.

Zach Hyman scored twice for Edmonton, and Connor McDavid had a goal and three assists for his fourth straight multi-point game in the playoffs. McDavid leads the league’s postseason points race with five goals and 13 assists.

Leon Draisaitl had a goal and two assists and Kailer Yamamoto and Evan Bouchard also scored for the Oilers.

Edmonton starter Mike Smith was pulled in the first period after allowing three goals on 10 shots. Mikko Koskinen made 32 saves in relief.

“We fought back and made it a game, but we can’t feel good about that in any way because we scored six goals in game and found a way to not win it,” Oilers coach Jay Woodcroft said.

The winner of the best-of-seven series advances to the Western Conference final. Game 2 is Friday at the Saddledome before the series heads to Edmonton for Sunday’s Game 3 and Tuesday’s Game 4.

It was the highest scoring postseason game since Los Angeles beat Calgary 9-6 in the 1993 division semifinals.

In a matchup of potent offenses, the Flames scored twice in a 25-second span in the first minute and led 3-0 by 6:05 when Smith was replaced by Koskinen.

Calgary’s two goals in the opening 51 seconds was the fastest two goals to start an NHL playoff game, and electrified a sea of red dotted with Oilers orange and blue at the Scotiabank Saddledome.

“Couldn’t ask for a better start, but you’ve got to have that killer mindset and you’ve got to be able to put teams down and keep pushing them down,” Coleman said. “We made some mental mistakes in the second period, got away from our checking game a little bit.

The good news is it’s correctable.

“That’s not our style of game, 9-6. It’s great that we got the Game 1 win but there’s a lot to dissect here.”

The Oilers did not go quietly, however. The Flames held a 40-18 edge in shots after two periods, but led 6-5 heading to the third.

Yamamoto briefly tied the game at 1:28 of the final period, putting McDavid’s rebound over Markstrom’s outstretched pad.

Andersson regained the lead for Calgary at 2:57 after getting a pass from Mangiapane from behind the net. Tkachuk made it 8-6 at 8:55 with his second of the night and scored into an empty net to complete his first postseason hat trick.

Hats rained down onto the Saddledome ice and chants of “we want 10” goals soon followed.

“Not good. Not good at all,” Tkachuk said. “Probably our worst game of the playoffs so far. We got super-lucky. ... That’s just not the recipe for success. Maybe we win this one, but we’re not going to win many more if we’re going to play like that.”

Coleman struck 45 seconds into the second period and again at 6:10 to push the Flames' lead to 5-1.

Bouchard converted McDavid’s pass at 7:10, and Tkachuk batted in a rebound for a power-play goal at 8:24 after Edmonton’s Zack Kassian was sent off for roughing.

Hyman scored at 9:38 and 14:06 to pull the Oilers to 6-4. Draisaitl made it a one-goal game with 39 seconds left in the second when he beat Markstrom far side on an odd-man rush with McDavid.

Lindholm converted Calgary’s first shot of the game into a goal 26 seconds in, and Backlund fed an undefended Mangiapane in the slot to beat Smith from close range at 51 seconds.

“If you go down 2-0 before it hits the 19-minute mark on the clock, it’s obviously not a good start,” Draisaitl said. “Clearly we weren’t ready and it’s tough to play catch up for the whole night. ... We can all be a lot better away from the puck, and that starts with myself.”

Ritchie scored his first career playoff goal at 6:05 to make it 3-0, and McDavid tucked the puck between Markstrom's pads at 7:41 to get Edmonton on the scoreboard.

6 hours ago, Math said:

If the trend continues, Calgary will record more than 60 SOG while winning 17-5, and Kosninen will have a better SV% than Markström...

Frigging Markstrom better be better for game 2 if he knows what's good for him...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Robustness goes to the oil...? Doesn't robustness mean toughness...? No way is Edmonton more robust than Calgary...

My Bad, Wrong logo here. I meant to select the Flames.

Edit: fixed.

Re-edit: No fixed.Too late, can't change...

Edited by Math
  • Like 1

Who cleaned up the broken beer bottles at JR’s house after that crazy 9-6 game?  😂 I can’t believe they got 6 by Markstrom.  I wouu I do expect a more tame game 2.  That was like an old AHL game.  Nuts

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Who cleaned up the broken beer bottles at JR’s house after that crazy 9-6 game?  😂 I can’t believe they got 6 by Markstrom.  I wouu I do expect a more tame game 2.  That was like an old AHL game.  Nuts

I'm really not like that. I'm not a member of the team: when they win, I don't win, and when they lose it's not my loss.

• Like 1

Edmonton Oilers fight through early deficit, rescinded goals to tie series at 1-1

2:44 AM ET
  • shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen ShiltonESPN NHL reporter

CALGARY -- The Edmonton Oilers would not be denied.

Not by another bad start. Not by a cascade of tough (stick) breaks or disallowed goals.

In Game 2 of the Oilers' second-round Stanley Cup playoff series against Calgary on Friday, Edmonton got the 5-3 win it needed to even the Battle of Alberta before shifting to their home ice. And they did it by playing the way coach Jay Woodcroft has been preaching for weeks.

"We had some things not go our way today. But I think it speaks to the resiliency and resolve of our group [that we came through]," said Woodcroft. "It's something that we've been working on for the last three months, the ability to stick with it.

"I think if you walked in our room, you'd find a group of men that are wholly sure of our message, wholly sure of our game plan, wholly sure of what it takes to win come crunch time. And we have a belief. We didn't feel that we played to that standard in Game 1. We had better tonight."

It wasn't easy for Edmonton to get there.

The Oilers endured a terrible start to Game 1, giving up three goals in just over six minutes en route to a 9-6 loss. Friday's tilt started in an eerily similar fashion for the Oilers, trailing 2-0 only 6:02 into the first period. And after that, Edmonton was twice robbed of goals they felt were deserved.

On the first, Zach Hyman thought he stuffed a 2-2 equalizer under Flames' netminder Jacob Markstrom before referee Chris Lee blew the play dead.

The call on the ice was no goal. Despite Hyman's confidence -- he even went to the bench for fist bumps -- the officials took another look and confirmed: no goal.

Word from the NHL's Situation Room after the fact was that "the Referee deemed the play dead when he lost sight of the puck under Jacob Markstrom."

The Oilers were still down 2-1. And a broken stick for Darnell Nurse on an ensuing Edmonton penalty kill helped Tyler Toffoli make it 3-1 Flames early in the second.

Edmonton kept on coming. Right after that play, Connor McDavid -- who had a dominant night from start to finish -- orchestrated a stunning set-up for Leon Draisaitl to seemingly cut the Flames lead to one.

But Edmonton saw that goal called back, too, this time after a successful challenge by Calgary for goaltender interference.

Undeterred, McDavid needed less than a minute from there to dangle through Calgary's defense and score himself. 3-2 Flames.

By the time Evan Bouchard had tied the game 3-3 with a power play goal late in the second, it felt like Edmonton was in full control.

"We had two goals pulled back and the bounces didn't necessarily go our way," said Hyman. "But we stuck with it, and we battled. I think it's a testament to our team. We've had a roller-coaster season where our backs were against the wall and our ability to push back has been second to none."

And the next time Hyman scored, it would count. Edmonton was killing a penalty late in the third when Hyman lit the lamp shorthanded in what would stand as the game-winning marker for Edmonton.

Draisaitl added an insurance tally to seal the victory. He and McDavid combined for five points on the night, while Mike Smith rebounded from an awful Game 1 performance with a 37-save showing.

Now it's a best-of-five series for the Oilers -- and they have home ice advantage.

"I thought we deserved to win the game tonight based on hard effort alone," said Woodcroft. "I thought we paid the price required to win a game in the second round. Our competition level was excellent, our execution level coming out of our own end was very good.

We found a way to score. Some of the goals that we gave up were a little bit victim of circumstance to [things like] broken sticks. In the end I thought to a man, everyone was more competitive."

• Good Post 1

Thought after going up 2-0 we had it...very disappointed Calgary couldn't protect their lead...Calgary played with no emotion tonight...Sutter better give 'em what for...

• Like 2

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (Series Even 1-1)

What looked like another game that would feature a ton of goals (well, it still was!), in favor of Calgary was soon turned around by the Edmonton offense and Mike Smith himself looked MUCH better in G2 than he did in G1 leading to a series tied at 1.

Can the Oilers play this way (up n down) the entire series before it catches up to them? Probably not.
However, if you are Calgary, a team that prides itself on defense and goal prevention, you have to be concerned with how many goals have gotten past your netminder as well!

Darry Sutter teams simply do not give up a ton of goals on a consistent basis and they've already given up 11 in two games.
I am sure some conversation about that is going on with him and the coaching staff and players.

• Like 1

I tell you this, these Flames for reasons unknown play better on the road.  They shut teams down better on the road.  That said, Edmonton seen to thrive at home.  I do not expect another 9-6 game tonight.  I expect Markstrom to be good.  He needs to be

• Like 1