Who will be the Flyer's 19th team Captain?

Who will be the Flyer's 19th team Captain?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Flyer's 19th team Captain?

• Sean Couturier
    • Ivan Provorov
    • Travis Sanheim
    • Travis Konecny
    • Cam Atkinson
    • Kevin Hayes
    • Scott Laughton
    • James Van Riemsdyk
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Joel Farabee
    • Other

So i guess i haven't seen this discussed much anywhere here so i figured hey why not ask the question.

So with someone help here it would be nice to see who everyone wants or prefers. I know who i would give it too.

• Like 1

I voted for #14.

I think he's the best player on the team, I think now that all the guys who were senior to him are gone, he'll step up and be more vocal.

I thought Giroux was a really good player but I don't think he was the best leader, especially when difficult conversations needed to be had. From the footage I've seen, he's more of a pick a guy up rather than call a guy out kind of person.

Even though I don't know a whole lot about him, Couturier has stayed under the radar, I've seen multiple articles that mention his desire to win, in relation to his contract extension most recently. In the past the articles mentioning his "relishing" playing the shutdown role, also then speaking to the management about wanting to play a larger role offensively.

I think he will be a guy that can hold his peers accountable and will not shrink from the burden of wearing that letter for this team.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

OR …… the Flyers could go without a Captain this year and use this year as an evaluation period for all players.

That would suck. Best way to me to resolve this is to have the players vote. And if they so choose maybe give the coaches a vote.

But in no way would i NOT have a Captain. A Captain demonstrates responsibility and control.

That is why the Captain is suppose to go go down with the ship because he is responsible for the ship.

How can he be responsible if he doesn't have control??

That is why when he also yells "Man the sails" the crew listens, with out this control it doesn't work. This is coming from a Navy man.

This why i was never fond of Giroux as Captain to me he never displayed control - true control. He let his crew run the ship and that is a sign of a weak Captain.

The Captains i served under always displayed control and the crews still loved him but when commands were given they were followed or there was hell to pay. And the crew is fine with these laws or should anyone not should be singled out and removed.

And yes i know this is a sport's team and not the military but they still operate of the same premises - the Captain is in charge and what he says goes. In the old days if you disagreed well you walked the plank. 

So my vote goes to Sean Couturier.....oh Captain my Captain.

:CelebratingSmiley2: 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Underpants?

Planet?

Morgan?

"Bring me Down?"

Kirk?

(Just put Captain in front of each..... and please feel free to play along!! :)

Any seem a reasonable choice given the recent moves from the great "minds" behind this franchise.....

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Underpants?

Planet?

Morgan?

"Bring me Down?"

Kirk?

Any seem a reasonable choice given the recent moves from the great "minds" behind this franchise.....

download.jpg.deeec0357b9fc34c079368ebe922815f.jpg

Found one...

:beer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It's VERY, VERY difficult to select a Captain(and criticize a Captain as well) if you aren't in the locker room with all of the players and on the bench with the players during play.

There is absolutely nothing crazy at all about not selecting a Captain for this season, and making it an evaluation season for the players, seeing who steps up into those leadership roles.  Just because a player doesn't have a letter on his chest doesn't mean the team won't have leadership.  That's just not realistic and not the way it works in a professional locker room and on a professional bench.  If there are leaders in the lineup worthy of letters on their chests, they will show that, and the players will realize it as well.

And, it is a position that should solely be selected by the players themselves.  Coaches and management should have nothing at all to do with the selection of who gets letters on their chests.

I realize that many here have a HUGE man crush on Coots.  And I get it.  But, I would really like to see how he is in the locker room.  Because, from what can be seen of him when he's on the bench, he seems to be VERY quiet, not a talker, and a shy player who is looking to be lead, not lead himself.

Well there are many ways to do this. And this is just my experience.

But in every sport i played (football, baseball and soccer) there is/was always a Captain. 

In my military experience in bootcamp/school/command there was always a Captain. In bootcamp and school it was always assigned by the instructor usually by what they Captain chose displayed in drills or in leading in instruction or whatever.

When we got to command well it was once again a guy chosen by what he displayed in action and was earned in 90% of it.

Even if not a Captain but there was still a squad leader. Always some to relay the plan/instructions and most times to demonstrate.

But always a leader. Nothing to be scared about having a leader. Someone needs to be responsible.

But in on my sports teams they were always voted on by the team. But in everything i have ever done there was a leader.

There was never ever in either several leaders. There was a Captain and his alternate or assistants. But there was never NOT a Captain.

As i said again this in my experience. So take from this what you will and some of you (you know who you are) will surely come back and tell me i am wrong but before the season starts there needs to be a Captain. They have camp and preseason to evaluate.

And in my case Coots as my choice he has been vocal many times when the mic is in his face and has taken responsibility.

And in the past maybe in a few instances he has been sort of passive not wanting to step on his current Captain's toes.

So i still stand firm by my choice as Coots and it has nothing to do with love just he has displayed what i think is Captain material.

And yes there has been times he has shown were he is human and has his down falls all Captains do we can't take emotions out of the equation.

You don't have to agree with me you may prefer someone else. But this is my opinion on it. Have at it. 

🧐

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It's VERY, VERY difficult to select a Captain(and criticize a Captain as well) if you aren't in the locker room with all of the players and on the bench with the players during play.

There is absolutely nothing crazy at all about not selecting a Captain for this season, and making it an evaluation season for the players, seeing who steps up into those leadership roles.  Just because a player doesn't have a letter on his chest doesn't mean the team won't have leadership.  That's just not realistic and not the way it works in a professional locker room and on a professional bench.  If there are leaders in the lineup worthy of letters on their chests, they will show that, and the players will realize it as well.

And, it is a position that should solely be selected by the players themselves.  Coaches and management should have nothing at all to do with the selection of who gets letters on their chests.

I realize that many here have a HUGE man crush on Coots.  And I get it.  But, I would really like to see how he is in the locker room.  Because, from what can be seen of him when he's on the bench, he seems to be VERY quiet, not a talker, and a shy player who is looking to be led, not lead himself.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well there are many ways to do this. And this is just my experience.

But in every sport i played (football, baseball and soccer) there is/was always a Captain. 

In my military experience in bootcamp/school/command there was always a Captain. In bootcamp and school it was always assigned by the instructor usually by what they Captain chose displayed in drills or in leading in instruction or whatever.

When we got to command well it was once again a guy chosen by what he displayed in action and was earned in 90% of it.

Even if not a Captain but there was still a squad leader. Always some to relay the plan/instructions and most times to demonstrate.

But always a leader. Nothing to be scared about having a leader. Someone needs to be responsible.

But in on my sports teams they were always voted on by the team. But in everything i have ever done there was a leader.

There was never ever in either several leaders. There was a Captain and his alternate or assistants. But there was never NOT a Captain.

As i said again this in my experience. So take from this what you will and some of you (you know who you are) will surely come back and tell me i am wrong but before the season starts there needs to be a Captain. They have camp and preseason to evaluate.

And in my case Coots as my choice he has been vocal many times when the mic is in his face and has taken responsibility.

And in the past maybe in a few instances he has been sort of passive not wanting to step on his current Captain's toes.

So i still stand firm by my choice as Coots and it has nothing to do with love just he has displayed what i think is Captain material.

And yes there has been times he has shown were he is human and has his down falls all Captains do we can't take emotions out of the equation.

You don't have to agree with me you may prefer someone else. But this is my opinion on it. Have at it. 

🧐

Both of you have very valid points on BOTH sides of the issue here.  In an off season of turmoil I would not have an issue of just having different players wear the A each game.  No one knows what this season will bring about.  We have no idea who will step up or not.

AND ..... in the same token I get @OccamsRazor point about there always being a leader in some capacity.  I don't have a man crush on Coots.  I like him as a player and IMHO would be the only logical player to wear the C.  However, he may be a tad tainted from previous seasons.

It is a very good discussion with no right or wrong answers at the current moment.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

However, he may be a tad tainted from previous seasons.

I agree with this.

Well there is one way to find out.

Give him the reins.

But I want the players to give them the reins.

If they chose someone else then I accept who ever they choose.

Let it be clear I don't not want to go into the season without a Captain.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

I know we're having a bit of fun here on this thread and all, but we all know who the organization* is going to pick and there really is only one correct and obvious choice...

Ice Hockey Hair Flip GIF by NHL

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Edited by radoran
  • Haha 3
  • Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let it be clear I don't not want to go into the season without a Captain.

and your not wrong to feel that way. 
Captain or no captain….I’m ok with either scenario.  As I said before there are valid points for both sides…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I know we're having a bit of fun here on this thread and all, but we all know who the organization* is going to pick and there really is only one correct and obvious choice...

Ice Hockey Hair Flip GIF by NHL

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

And yet he has gotten zero votes.....i'm beside myself with this...

:D

I wouldn't mind a year of distributed leadership.  Watch Twelve 0'Clock High--General Savage rotates the wing commanders to give folks a feel for what it means to lead. Yes, we can anoint a person on the point in a year or two, but let a cross-section of people understand that leadership is a burden and responsibility.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I wouldn't mind a year of distributed leadership.  Watch Twelve 0'Clock High--General Savage rotates the wing commanders to give folks a feel for what it means to lead. Yes, we can anoint a person on the point in a year or two, but let a cross-section of people understand that leadership is a burden and responsibility.

I'm good with what ever the players want to do to find the right leader out of this huge holes.

Draw straws, pin the tail on the leader, winner of freeze tag or hiding go seek, red light green light, spin the damn bottle just find the mofo.

That way there are no excuses for not buying in and pulling their fare share of the burden.

And said leader needs to set a good example and hold everyone accountable.

No room for passengers...cheers Howie...

:cheers:

On 7/25/2022 at 9:52 AM, OccamsRazor said:

So i guess i haven't seen this discussed much anywhere here so i figured hey why not ask the question.

So with someone help here it would be nice to see who everyone wants or prefers. I know who i would give it too.

My first thought was Coots. There isnt a better choice. We all know it. Its obvious. Some want to deny it, but that's just silly

So I vote Coots 1st, Atkinson 2nd, Provy 3rd (and I DGAF about what he said in his press conference)

• Like 3

On 7/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, FireDillabaugh said:

Why? None of us will ever be in the locker-room or on the bench. Its a fan opinion, so its pretty easy. It also seems easy for NHL teams. They've been doing it forever

As for criticism, that's easy too. Its a fan's right. Its a large part of why this forum exists. We are all guilty of it, yourself included. Your screen name alone is a form of criticism

• Like 2

On 7/25/2022 at 10:51 AM, MaineFlyFan said:

Underpants?

Planet?

Morgan?

"Bring me Down?"

Kirk?

obvious?

• Like 1