Game 19: Calgary Flames at Philadelphia Flyers; 11/21/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We are the underdog (+170) with Calgary assigned an 86 percent win probability.  It looks like Markstrom versus Hart.  Neither team has played well over the last ten. 

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cgy-vs-phi/2022/11/21/2022020292

If Torts' game plan is sorting out the players who stick around versus the rejects, winning and losing may not be as important as effort and hockey IQ. We are watching a big audition as the team hits 20% of the season.  

• Like 1

I'm sure you're right Howie - that Tortorella doesn't think the W/L record can be the focus this year. Still I hope they win a game soon. Calgary is scoring some goals but they're beatable. If the Flyers play like they did in Montreal they should end the losing streak tonight.

Still no word on Konecny though... at least I can't find anything.

27 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Still no word on Konecny though... at least I can't find anything.

Meltzer noted him at a rehab skate with JVR and the Ghost of Cam Atkinson .

And

Edited by radoran

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Still I hope they win a game soon.

Why? 

If you're a Flyers fan and you want this team to accomplish something during your lifetime, the team needs to hit rock bottom so they finally rid themselves of this parody of a pro management team and get someone in here who actually knows wtf they're doing. And getting higher draft picks doesn't hurt either...IF Fletcher doesn't trade ALL of them away. 

• Like 2

Constant losing via blowout has to challenge a building process. Losing a close one like MTL is probably more of a lessons learned gig.  So, I guess losing but learning might yield draft picks while building.  Maybe I've had too much coffee to think straight...some red stuff might help.  

BTW, when the heck do they start Sandstrom again....the kid needs to learn or play himself out of a job.  Meanwhile, running Hart into the ground isn't wise.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Constant losing via blowout has to challenge a building process.

When you look at the roster, when (if) they are (get) competitive, how many guys remain?

I'm not particularly worried about bruising Zach MacEwan's "confidence" long term.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

When you look at the roster, when (if) they are (get) competitive, how many guys remain?

I'm not particularly worried about bruising Zach MacEwan's "confidence" long term.

Yeah, for a grinder with experience who may not be around....not a bad thing.  For some of the youngsters, I'd hate to see a Buffalo-like experience of chronic losing.  Part of your question may be answered when and if Coots and Cam make it back.  Then we wonder who goes from the current pack.  

28 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I'd hate to see a Buffalo-like experience of chronic losing.

Well, Scott Laughton's been out of the first round once in his career and re-upped to stay.

Same with Sanheim.

I'd worry most about the effect on Hart.

But based on salaries and ability to move them we have a pretty good idea what the core of the team is for the next 2-3 seasons after this. And all of those guys have a pretty good history of losing to fall back on.

Edited by radoran
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Why? 

If you're a Flyers fan and you want this team to accomplish something during your lifetime, the team needs to hit rock bottom so they finally rid themselves of this parody of a pro management team and get someone in here who actually knows wtf they're doing. And getting higher draft picks doesn't hurt either...IF Fletcher doesn't trade ALL of them away. 

If there was a worthwhile strategy to losing I'd be all for it but the idea that they'll "hit rock bottom..." and then be able to "...rid themselves..." I just don't see it happening. My guess is Clarke and Holmgren will retire when they want to. They won't get fired. Maybe Lombardi or Scott I don't know but a clean sweep no way. The only "rid themselves" scenario I can envision is Fletcher vs. Tortorella after the Flyers miss the POs again.

And wanting the Flyers to lose to snag Bedard with an 18.5% chance of picking first as opposed to a 9.5% chance doesn't make sense to me. Double the odds sure but twice practically nothing is still practically nothing.

Along the same lines some fans want the Flyers to "tank." Nobody ever explains how it's supposed to work...whatever. Years ago the Pens tanked to get Mario but that was before the lottery. Losing on purpose doesn't happen these days for good reason; there's no payoff there's only slightly better odds.

Our PP is inept. Scott Hartnell said it well. They are "dullness."  He later said the PP has been bad for a couple of years. Bellows has a shot but doesn't anticipate the play. Sanheim is -3. Sheesh. Rasmus is working but paying him 5 million as a third pairing is a reminder of our genius GM. They are, as Hartnell said, going through the motions. 

5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

They are, as Hartnell said, going through the motions. 

Well, if that's the case you can say Torts has "lost the room" at this point.

His mantra is playing hard regardless of the conditions.

That said, I'm not so sure it's that rather than there just not being enough "power" in "play."

• Like 1

is there a tracker of man-games lost already? Are the Flyers at the top of that list if it exists? The lineups posted this morning were laughable; we are missing two full forward lines and playing with 8/12 forward guys who should be 4th line or AHLers. This is not a time to be going through the motions... sure it's like Fantasy Camp for Morgan Frost (my new whipping post) but most guys in the lineup now probably are not going to get this playing time or opportunity on other teams.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Well, if that's the case you can say Torts has "lost the room" at this point.

His mantra is playing hard regardless of the conditions.

That said, I'm not so sure it's that rather than there just not being enough "power" in "play."

Ya, I don't see him as having lost the room at all. There's simply not much talent left on the roster. The effort was there. 

• Like 2