Game 27: Washington Capitals at Philadelphia Flyers; 12/7/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Flyers are underdogs (+140).  It looks like Hart versus Kuemper in goal, which makes me wonder if Sandstrom will only see back-to-back action?  Other than our anemic power play, these teams aren't far apart statistically:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/wsh-vs-phi/2022/12/07/2022020413

Which Flyers team shows?  Is it the energetic one we saw against Colorado, or the mistake-filled, lethargic group we've seen most of the season?

On the injury front--it looks like Kuemper is out.  On our side--JVR is in, replacing Tanner L., who is injured.  Charlie Lindgren's GAA is 3.32, and sub-.900 save percentage.  That gives us a possible leg up.  

Edited by Howie58

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

On the injury front--it looks like Kuemper is out.  On our side--JVR is in, replacing Tanner L., who is injured.  Charlie Lindgren's GAA is 3.32, and sub-.900 save percentage.  That gives us a possible leg up.  

So we should tune in?

5 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

So we should tune in?

Dear Fan4ever,

That is an excellent question, and your answer may depend on expectations.  If you are a long-time Flyers fan who remembers what it meant to cheer for a perennial top 10 or 12 team, you need to have low expectations or expect to be depressed, which makes for a tough watch.  Newbies may say that Torts and Company are planting the seeds for a respectable (and fun to watch) team in a season or two.  I remember what it was like to see the team humiliated by the Original Six in the early years.  That was painful.  Then came the 5-game playoff series against the Canadiens the year before we took the first Cup.  Yeah, we lost, but the patsy days were over.  Something special was happening and good stuff was in store.  That's a long-winded way for saying you should probably watch.  We may be surprised by season's end to see some rays of hope.  That will make for more interesting (and tolerable) watching.  Meanwhile, be heart-healthy and watch over a glass of red wine.  It doesn't have to be Merlot. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Newbies may say that Torts and Company are planting the seeds for a respectable (and fun to watch) team in a season or two.

Hardly just the “newbies” Howie! And I think the team is respectable right now because their effort (minus a couple games) has been consistent. They’re far from respected but that’s going to take some time…and a real GM. 

As a Flyers’ lifer I find this season one of the most interesting. There’s a lot at stake as far as the direction the organization will ultimately choose to go. This is oversimplified but I think, depending on which road they take after this season, the Flyers can either continue what Tortorella’s started, or they can stay Stuck On Stupid, hopelessly mired in the same old Crap-ola. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

Great saves by Lindgren about 7 minutes into the 3rd, then a great deflection by Strome.  Instead of 2-1 Flyers, it’s 2-1 Caps with a good chunk of the 3rd period remaining.

Will be nice for the Caps to hold on to finish their 6-game road trip on a high note.  Only one home game upon return before going west again for Chicago and Winterpeg.

Edited by SaucyJack

17 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We may be surprised by season's end to see some rays of hope.  That will make for more interesting (and tolerable) watching.  Meanwhile, be heart-healthy and watch over a glass of red wine.  It doesn't have to be Merlot.

I am finding this team to be earnest in it's effort.

These guys are skating hard and hitting, they are competing.

Right now, with the roster being mostly detritus, that seems like a positive sign.

Compared to years past when more talent didn't work nearly as hard.

We have been enjoying Malbecs and Shirazes in the Mojo house.

Mostly from Lodi/Central California.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I am finding this team to be earnest in it's effort.

These guys are skating hard and hitting, they are competing.

Right now, with the roster being mostly detritus, that seems like a positive sign.

Compared to years past when more talent didn't work nearly as hard.

We have been enjoying Malbecs and Shirazes in the Mojo house.

Mostly from Lodi/Central California.

Dear Mojo,

I am glad you are enjoying nature's bounty.  

It's funny, Torts never speaks about limited talent.  It is need to score by committee, or similar statement.  Last night, he said something like "we need to go out and buy hands," in the context of the team's inability to finish.  Yeah, there's effort.  But over the last 15 games, we are averaging something like 2.14 goals.  Yeah, we'll win when our goaltenders offers masterclasses.  Maybe we get some better hands next year. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Ovi gets to pad his goal total with empty netters. Just doesn't seem right :)

Of course, this is true of any team or player.  Perhaps EN should only be a team stat, with no player’s individual statistics affected.

It’s a cousin to World Football ⚽️ where PlayerX does the hard work to earn a penalty inside the box, but star PlayerY takes the penalty kick with credit for the goal.  (Well, 70% of the time, I read somewhere, being the PK success rate.)

In neither sport does credit for a goal, undistinguished by the odd circumstance, seem right.

5 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Of course, this is true of any team or player.  Perhaps EN should only be a team stat, with no player’s individual statistics affected.

It’s a cousin to World Football ⚽️ where PlayerX does the hard work to earn a penalty inside the box, but star PlayerY takes the penalty kick with credit for the goal.  (Well, 70% of the time, I read somewhere, being the PK success rate.)

In neither sport does credit for a goal, undistinguished by the odd circumstance, seem right.

Oh I know, and the smiley face was to show I don't really care, but it is a factor in terms of comparing players over different eras though. Most goals means less imo in an era where you get 3 on 3 goals, teams pull goalies earlier than ever before, play is more open, and players generally can play longer. So when they say at some point Ovi is the greatest goal scorer ever I'd be like well..............maybe not. 

Conor McDavid will likely break every record by everyone in time but is he really better than Gretzky was? I doubt it. 

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

So when they say at some point Ovi is the greatest goal scorer ever I'd be like well..............maybe not. 

Yeah, lots of factors and changes involved.  Add in the following: Ovie is only plus 80-something over 17 seasons, most of which have had quality teams.  Several post-season flops (foremost being 2010’s first round loss to Montreal when they won the (ahem) highly coveted President’s Cup) were due to a lack of 2-way play, esp from Ovie.

So definitely not the greatest and probably not even all-time top ten.

• Like 1