Game 32: New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers; 12/17/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Rangers are favored (-171) with a 3-2 score via CapperTek's model:

https://www.cappertek.com/article.asp?a=rangers-vs-flyers-betting-odds-free-picks-and-predictions-12-17-2022-296170

Our PP and GF are the big differences relative to the Rangers. 

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/nyr-vs-phi/2022/12/17/2022020489

We lost 1-0 in our last game match.  Getting goals past Shesterkin has always been tough.  It's interesting--the teams' backups have virtually identical stats.  You could say that makes Halak look bad or Sandstrom look good!

Good news...Hayes is benched tonight,  Atkinson was not at practice and is back on IR and Sedlak has terminated his contract and went back to Europe. 

So hopefully Atkinson is totally done along with Coots and Ellis. No need to waste 18 million on injured 30 and over players during a rebuild. 

Sedlak played well but we have have enough plain vanilla players. Can't wait to get rid of JVR, Charlie Brown and Braun.

16 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I’m actually heading down for the game and staying overnight  in a hotel in Filthadelphia. I used to go to a bunch of games every year , but now with the price and the horrible team , I just go once a year. 

have a great time, hope they play a good game for ya tonight and CRUSH those rangers.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

So hopefully Atkinson is totally done along with Coots and Ellis. No need to waste 18 million on injured 30 and over players during a rebuild. 

They don't come off the cap and they only get ~$8M in off-season cap relief.

It's really bad for several years.

• Like 1

Torts said it. There's no lack of effort. If this team had a finisher, we'd have more to show for the effort. We skated well. On the other hand, we went 0 for 4 on the PP. You won't win many games with that record. 

I didn't notice Bellows.  On the other hand, Sedlak's defense might have been missed. Lyksell can move and seems to have good puck handling skill.

We are nine games from the midpoint.  Maybe we see marginal improvement between now and then, but that seems unlikely. Frost, Tippett,  and JVR look good. But that raises a question about how long JVR sticks around?

5 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

Didn’t Fletcher try to trade JVR last year? And get nowhere? I can’t have any hope with this guy at the helm. 

Teams were probably waiting for him to up the ante'. 

Chuckles: I'll send you JVR and 2-2nds and a 3rd

Others GMs: First of all Chuck we have ALL your 2nd round picks til 2047. But what do you want in return.

Chuckles: Nothin'

Other GMs: We're holding out for multiple 1sts that we know are coming.

• Like 2

Again, being close to midpoint, my question is whether the  next 20+ games bring improvement especially in offense?

I dont know if they're any budding players at LVH who are ripe for call-up? Trades are probably off the board. Maybe Ersson gets a shot?

The bottom line is we're seeing the 2022-23 squad. The audition spin is mildly positive, with emphasis on mildly. To their credit, they compete and the 8-2 blowouts have been off the radar. But this isn't fun to watch. And you wonder if Torts is trying to instill habits in players who won't be around next year. 

Flyers played well, but the defense left Hart hung out to dry as usual. 

Time to add a pick as incentive for a team to take that orange cone, known as James Van Reimsdyk...so the Flyers can get a 5th round pick for him.

Edited by FD19372

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Again, being close to midpoint, my question is whether the  next 20+ games bring improvement especially in offense?

I mean - and with all serious due respect - why?

What does it honestly matter to the long term good of this franchise whether or not they start to score more goals per game?

Is an eight seed a desirable outcome in this situation?

Is battling for a 7th pick a more desirable outcome than competing for a top 3?

The franchise has literally never been here before.

I mean, except for the past decade...

200.gif

Edited by radoran

6 hours ago, radoran said:

I mean - and with all serious due respect - why?

What does it honestly matter to the long term good of this franchise whether or not they start to score more goals per game?

Is an eight seed a desirable outcome in this situation?

Is battling for a 7th pick a more desirable outcome than competing for a top 3?

The franchise has literally never been here before.

I mean, except for the past decade...

200.gif

So, we go all in on the process? I can respect that view. I hope at some point we see improvement.  Does the walk in the desert lead to another lost decade.

Sadly, with Fletcher on charge, you wonder if top-10 draft picks will matter?

Rad, I am glad someone disagrees with me. It may be a reminder of premature dementia.....like watching Flyers hockey.

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Rad, I am glad someone disagrees with me. It may be a reminder of premature dementia.....like watching Flyers hockey.

I'm not so much disagreeing as seriously asking if "winning" a game now and again means anything in the long term scheme of things.

Yes, you need to keep the players engaged and you don't want to totally break Hart.

But as fans have we become conditioned to just trying to make the playoffs because anything can happen?

The sad fact is that there is no "process" and there is no real "hope" beyond Obi Wan Tortenobi Jedi mind tricking the front office.

I can respect loyalty to an organization. But we're not dogs. 😃

I'm obviously still here and obviously still invested in this organization* so I'm watching what happens.

• Like 1