Game 34: Philadelphia Flyers at Toronto Maple Leafs; 12/22/22 @ 2 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Toronto is favored (-150) and is 7-1-2 against us over the last 10:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/12-22-2022/philadelphia-flyers-vs-toronto-maple-leafs-prediction-1320/

They are a good faceoff team and second best in goals against league-wide:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-tor/2022/12/22/2022020525

Chris Maher of Flyers Fan Mania  is doing a Watch Party on YouTube:

I wonder what's with the 2pm start... Afternoon games are usually not good for the Flyers...but this year who knows.

Old news probably but I read Atkinson is now officially out for the season. I guess the Couturier announcement is next. Ellis is so far off the radar nobody even asks about him anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I wonder what's with the 2pm start... Afternoon games are usually not good for the Flyers...but this year who knows.

Old news probably but I read Atkinson is now officially out for the season. I guess the Couturier announcement is next. Ellis is so far off the radar nobody even asks about him anymore.

If I'm Ellis I would fake being hurt too who would want to be a part of this shi t show of a team?

He still gets paid and he gets to keep his pride...

• Like 1

Coots is apparently "making progress."  That could be Flyersspeak for being one foot out of the grave or moving up the waitlist for admission to a Medicaid nursing after he's spent down all assets on Phantoms/Flyers Seasons tix.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Coots is apparently "making progress."  That could be Flyersspeak for being one foot out of the grave or moving up the waitlist for admission to a Medicaid nursing after he's spent down all assets on Phantoms/Flyers Seasons tix.  

We're still hopeful Mike Rathje can come back and play at some point.

I honestly don't know but do other franchises consistently invest long term in players who then get injured?

It's like buying a whole fleet of used cars with high, hard mileage and being surprised at the maintenance cost.

"Building a team" around a bunch of guys other (bad) teams were willing to get rid of is a nice movie idea but isn't working and really hasn't worked.

Generally speaking in the cap years teams are winning with multiple top ten - often top 5 and 1/2 - homegrown picks. The "surprise" picks (e.g. Kucherov) are additions to the core - not players to build around.

Teams that muddle around in the middle - NSH MIN NYI PHI - typically stay muddling around in the middle.

Give the Flyers some credit - they've worked really hard to get here.

This is a good year to lose if you're going to. It's not so much a good year not to have a high 2nd if you're looking to get more young talent.

But we'll always have Ristolainen.

harry potter GIF

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

We're still hopeful Mike Rathje can come back and play at some point.

I honestly don't know but do other franchises consistently invest long term in players who then get injured?

It's like buying a whole fleet of used cars with high, hard mileage and being surprised at the maintenance cost.

"Building a team" around a bunch of guys other (bad) teams were willing to get rid of is a nice movie idea but isn't working and really hasn't worked.

Generally speaking in the cap years teams are winning with multiple top ten - often top 5 and 1/2 - homegrown picks. The "surprise" picks (e.g. Kucherov) are additions to the core - not players to build around.

Teams that muddle around in the middle - NSH MIN NYI PHI - typically stay muddling around in the middle.

Give the Flyers some credit - they've worked really hard to get here.

This is a good year to lose if you're going to. It's not so much a good year not to have a high 2nd if you're looking to get more young talent.

But we'll always have Ristolainen.

harry potter GIF

Nice post rad. It's unbelievable how this formula, that's NEVER worked, has been used and used and used for 3 decades, minus the Hextall years. 

But that last comment was a low blow. I mean that one really stings.

Just got home and turned game on. I am stuck with the laffs broadcast feed. I was hoping they would play Ersson today because I am going to the game against the canes tomorrow night. 

1-1 now.

it’s totally acceptable for us to crap on this organization but for some reason it bothers me when I hear the opponents broadcasters do it (even if it’s accurate and deserved).

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

I agree with Grateful. We need some offense to keep things interesting.  I stopped watching after two periods. The box score says a lot. We have limited top six production and the test have clay hands. An occasional lapse or deflection is impossible to make up. 

Just now, Howie58 said:

I agree with Grateful. We need some offense to keep things interesting.  I stopped watching after two periods. The box score says a lot. We have limited top six production and the test have clay hands. An occasional lapse or deflection is impossible to make up. 

Wow, the Flyers end up making a game of it, cheap call against the Flyers in the last minute of the game. But another loss closer to hopefully Bedard.

Good fightback in the 3rd stopped the Leafs from running away with it. Frost scores again Farabee too. Hart was excellent. But all the penalties in the 2nd just buried the Flyers. Credit the Leafs they know how to take advantage - they have the guys who can do it.

Might be a good game to miss tomorrow night... Brind'Amour's team is even better than last year and they'll be rested. Will Hart go again?

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

it bothers me when I hear the opponents broadcasters do it (even if it’s accurate and deserved).

Talk about throwing stones at a rubber wall from the porch of a glass house...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1