Game 38: Philadelphia Flyers at Anaheim Ducks; 1/2/23 @ 10 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Happy New Year:

The O and B are installed as mild favorites (-110) with a 60% win probability, which isn't surprising given the Ducks' overall record and going 1-4 over the last five. 

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nhl-game/flyers-ducks-score-odds-january-2-2023/182977

If defense wins games, we should do OK.  Anaheim has the worst goals against in the league:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-ana/2023/01/02/2022020597

We could see our former prospect Anthony Stolarz between the Ducks' pipes.  

50 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Happy New Year:

The O and B are installed as mild favorites (-110) with a 60% win probability, which isn't surprising given the Ducks' overall record and going 1-4 over the last five. 

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nhl-game/flyers-ducks-score-odds-january-2-2023/182977

If defense wins games, we should do OK.  Anaheim has the worst goals against in the league:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-ana/2023/01/02/2022020597

We could see our former prospect Anthony Stolarz between the Ducks' pipes.  

TANK GAME!!!

Tank GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Who blinks first.

:flyer:

• Haha 1

I dunno but I get the feeling the Flyers may play down to the competition tonight...you know, how good teams do sometimes...

Is it Hart or will they ride Ersson, who's been pretty flawless since coming back in when Hart got hurt.

These West Coast games 10pm starts really test my commitment.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Is it Hart or will they ride Ersson

Turmoil is brewing my 11 daughter said that Ersson is prettier than Carter Hart (he looks like a church boy) so gulp we have a goalie controversy brewing.....all i have in caring about this team and this where we are at in 2023.

:hocky: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Is it Hart or will they ride Ersson,

I believe Hart is still on IR as of this morning. My guess is Torts rides Ersson but this may be a good game to let Sandstrom knock the rust off.

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

I believe Hart is still on IR as of this morning. My guess is Torts rides Ersson but this may be a good game to let Sandstrom knock the rust off.

Yeah, the team just confirmed Hart is out.

Interesting gig. If Sandstrom isn't waiver exempt, we may see him. But my tired old eyes give Ersson the edge. Either way, we aren't giving up picks to get a backup. We gave up Stolarz, who played well last year, to get a cup of Cam Talbert coffee. Maybe we are growing our own!!!!

We came within 40 seconds of a shutout. Ersson was A-OK. Frost's goal was a beaut. Skating is excellent--real energy getting up the ice. No great opponent and Gibson is not moving well. But a good win and we took California by the privates.

• Like 2

Nice win. Pity about the shut out. I had to watch  a Ducks feed and for the last 5 minutes they kept trying to say "shutout" as often as possible and then after the goal laughed about the "announcer's curse" like they think they really had a hand in it. That was funny. 

Zegras is a diver. I kind of dislike him . 

I guess fans and management will be doing a possible pivot on team prospects as we hit the half way point. March 3rd will come sooner than later.

Hart may have a friendly competitor. Let's see what happens against tougher competition.  Meanwhile, it is hard to believe this squad did the CA  sweep for the first time in franchise history. Normally, this is a disaster trek. It's the first winning West Coast trip since 2014. 

• Like 1

Stupid ****** team...how can they fire the intellectually challenged GM if they go on a ****** winning streak?!?!!?!?

Can't wait to see Conner Bedard playing in the desert or worse Anaheim (desert with the Chrystal Palace). That will be awesome.

Sheesh.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Stupid ****** team...how can they fire the intellectually challenged GM if they go on a ****** winning streak?!?!!?!?

Sheesh.

There is a lot of truth to that. He did say the youth deserve a chance.  They are bailing him out. 

I might start a New Year's thread on that subject. One quick observation.  Disney is thinking about spinning off ESPN and sports.  I suspect Comcast might do that to bolster revenue and streamline if ABC does it.

• Like 1

RE: This stupid team.

I can see where the Flyers could "not suck" in a few years.

A lot of young guys are on the scoresheet on this road trip. Farabee looked good, Tippet is driving play, Morgan Frost looks like an NHL player, Cam York looks good.

Cutter Gauthier has been good while playing the pivot at BC and doesn't look lost at the world jrs.

Bobby Brink could come back and drive play. I thought he looked a half click slow in his cup o' coffee last season, but he was around the puck in the scoring areas, just didn't have the good timing and chemistry with his teammates. It didn't seem like he was out of place in the NHL. 

It is not out of the realm of possibilities that some of these young guys could become decent NHL players.

Figure a top 8 (at the worst) draft pick this year and 2 1st rounders next year, if some things break well for the Flyers they might be scrappy underdogs with some upside before 2026.

Somewhere in there, there needs to be some higher end talent, I understand that. But there are some quality guys on the roster already who when they play hard are pretty good.

Ice a team that's solid like the recent NY Islanders teams that would be fun to watch. I don't have illusions of a cup run in 24 or anything, but there are nights where the team looks like they might not be too ******.

major leauge they're shtty.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We came within 40 seconds of a shutout. Ersson was A-OK. Frost's goal was a beaut. Skating is excellent--real energy getting up the ice. No great opponent and Gibson is not moving well. But a good win and we took California by the privates.

Yep typical Flyer fashion can't even let the man enjoys a shutout.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep typical Flyer fashion can't even let the man enjoys a shutout.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

As Morganti and JJ noted, the team got loose in the last period, the last five minutes in particular.  I am not sure if they were running out of gas or figured the game was in hand.  In any event, Ersson can be proud of his body of work.  I have to wonder if they risk Sandstrom on waivers?  Ersson has outplayed him.  

• Uggh... 1