Wild Deadline Watch

Icechipper

10 hours ago, bbgarnett said:

I could see them doing a Greenway for JVR swap, not saying I'd do it 1 for 1  but I think Fletcher might have interest in Greenway.

Not sure anyone would be interested in Greenway. He’s been a huge disappointment this season, not that I expected a lot but he’s brought nothing so far 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Even though the team has some significant cap space right now; I don't see this team being a real threat in the post-season even if it has enough in the tank to make it in the first place.  Russo suggested this, that perhaps the Wild should weaponize its cap space by taking some bad contracts at the deadline and acquiring picks and prospects as teams want to give themselves more flexibility at the deadline.  I'm for that because I think the next two years are going to be bad because the crunch is even tighter.  

Our chance at a decent playoff run was last season. Career years, A decent scorer (now gone) and I thought if we just had a good PP, We could've been a dangerous team.... And we saw what happened there. 
Almost the same team and even they have to know they might not make the PO's this year. Nervous time for many on the team compared to last year at this time..

Agree, Cut ties however it takes. Get picks and prospects for future trades. No reason to buy now.
My fear is I have to watch Dumba play out the season here because nobody will take him. :P
I don't see any team wanting to solidify their line up for the PO's looking at anyone on this team that we want/need to let go.

I wouldn't trade Foligno because he still plays the way he did prior to last years scoring burst. He's also a presence on the ice so we don't really need Reaves and Greenway while a big boy doesn't fill the role.
Foligno has multiple value while the other 'tough guys' show little.

3 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Not sure anyone would be interested in Greenway. He’s been a huge disappointment this season, not that I expected a lot but he’s brought nothing so far 

The benefit teams might be looking at with Greenway is he is relatively cheap ($3M) and would be under team control for the next two seasons. 

6 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Our chance at a decent playoff run was last season. Career years, A decent scorer (now gone) and I thought if we just had a good PP, We could've been a dangerous team.... And we saw what happened there. 
Almost the same team and even they have to know they might not make the PO's this year. Nervous time for many on the team compared to last year at this time..

Agree, Cut ties however it takes. Get picks and prospects for future trades. No reason to buy now.
My fear is I have to watch Dumba play out the season here because nobody will take him. :P
I don't see any team wanting to solidify their line up for the PO's looking at anyone on this team that we want/need to let go.

I wouldn't trade Foligno because he still plays the way he did prior to last years scoring burst. He's also a presence on the ice so we don't really need Reaves and Greenway while a big boy doesn't fill the role.
Foligno has multiple value while the other 'tough guys' show little.

(shrugs)  Teams sometimes give you crazy things for bigger players they wish to add for a playoff run.  I certainly would entertain offers for Marcus Foligno if I'm Bill Guerin.  As far as Greenway goes, yea...his cap hit is defined and he wouldn't be a rental but if he's going to continue to play like a finesse player that is 5'9", 165lbs instead of a 6'6" 230lbs wrecking ball on skates that he could be, I can't imagine that will draw too many decent offers.  

• Haha 2

Reading here and there that the Seattle Kraken are shopping 26 yr old journeyman defenseman Will Borgen because they want a more established, experienced NHL defenseman, despite Borgen finally looking like he has found his NHL legs.

I wonder if the Kraken would be interested in taking on one of Goligoski, Merrill, or even Dumba for Borgen.

Borgen is physical, nasty, a good skater, and his cap hit is a mere 900K with RFA status after year's end....and being he has been a journeyman, likely won't cost too much to retain.
He's paid his dues in the minors and bounced around from Buffalo to Seattle, but looks like a solid defenseman, albeit not as experienced for his age, that the Wild could fit nicely into their structure.

Just throwing stuff out here, but in watching Will Borgen, even though the three mentioned Wild defenseman have logged more NHL games, he has looked better in coverage, not turning the puck over as much, and keeping up with the transition game.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Reading here and there that the Seattle Kraken are shopping 26 yr old journeyman defenseman Will Borgen because they want a more established, experienced NHL defenseman, despite Borgen finally looking like he has found his NHL legs.

I wonder if the Kraken would be interested in taking on one of Goligoski, Merrill, or even Dumba for Borgen.

Borgen is physical, nasty, a good skater, and his cap hit is a mere 900K with RFA status after year's end....and being he has been a journeyman, likely won't cost too much to retain.
He's paid his dues in the minors and bounced around from Buffalo to Seattle, but looks like a solid defenseman, albeit not as experienced for his age, that the Wild could fit nicely into their structure.

Just throwing stuff out here, but in watching Will Borgen, even though the three mentioned Wild defenseman have logged more NHL games, he has looked better in coverage, not turning the puck over as much, and keeping up with the transition game.

That works !! You have BG on speed dial, Make it happen. 😁

5 hours ago, Alexandron said:

The Athletic NHL

@TheAthleticNHL

We don't know whether the Wild will be trade deadline buyers.

What we do know is that GM Bill Guerin doesn't see Minnesota as a Stanley Cup contender... yet.

At least BG is recogizing the fact we're not contenders right now, So the answer is pretty clear Not buyers given our empty piggy bank.
Fletcher would've sold the idea that we're 1 big name signing away from being one. 

12 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Wild pick up a 4th round pick and retain 25% of O’Reilly’s salary as part of a 3-team trade sending him to Toronto.

I'm waiting on the full details, because apparently, both the Blues and Wild are helping out the Leaves® here.
Why? I don't know....but Minnesota better be getting something more out of this.
They are helping St. Louis retain salary, so O'Reilly only costs Toronto 1.8M out of his 7M contract.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

This from TSN:
Toronto Maple Leafs St. Louis Blues Minnesota Wild three-team trade | TSN

If this is all of it, the Wild got a mere 4th rounder in 2025 for paying 25% of O'Reilly's salary and helping Toronto, and helping a division rival unload a big contract.
Disgusting.
I'm hoping there is some other detail, because St. Louis came out nicely here (two players and three draft picks), while Toronto gets O'Rielly and Acciari for their playoff run.

Wild get the leftover crust 2025 4th rounder while paying the cleanup.
Ugh..

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This from TSN:
Toronto Maple Leafs St. Louis Blues Minnesota Wild three-team trade | TSN

If this is all of it, the Wild got a mere 4th rounder in 2025 for paying 25% of O'Reilly's salary and helping Toronto, and helping a division rival unload a big contract.
Disgusting.
I'm hoping there is some other detail, because St. Louis came out nicely here (two players and three draft picks), while Toronto gets O'Rielly and Acciari for their playoff run.

Wild get the leftover crust 2025 4th rounder while paying the cleanup.
Ugh..

it's 25% of the remaining cap hit not salary 

23 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

it's 25% of the remaining cap hit not salary 

Honestly, I'm disappointed more by the fact Minnesota is helping out their division rival and 'assisting' a team like Toronto who made their own purgatory with all the big money contracts they've built up, than any actual money being paid out to a player who isn't even going to suit up for them.

I'd like to think Guerin is a smart man.
And if out of all of this, he walks away with St. Louis and Toronto "owing him a favor" that he can cash in at some point when Minnesota are out from under the dark cap cloud, THEN I'd say the Wild did well.
Maybe he even culls some favor with O'Reilly himself because with the Wild's involvement, he gets moved away from a sinking ship in St. Louis, and into a situation, at least for the rest of this season and playoffs, with Toronto where ROR has a chance to win again.

Blues and Leaves® owing BG a huge favor each, or maybe ROR signing a sweetheart deal with Minnesota in the off season to help push them along.....that's the only way I'd say BG did well here. Especially once ROR sees Toronto is the poster team for 'one n dones' in the playoffs DESPITE their high end forwards.
A likely late 4th round pick two years from now, by itself, doesn't do anything for Minnesota and simply helps their rivals and a rich team who shouldn't be bailed out by ANYONE.

That all said, since I am also a Lightning fan, and TB is looking to be locked into a 1st round matchup with Toronto, I would LOVE IT, if the Bolts can facilitate that first round exit once again for the Leaves® and have them fall on their face so Mr. O'Reilly can see that he really don't wanna stay there. :shifty: 

If that is 'weaponizing' your cap space, then like our 5-on-5 scoring we must be using a squirt gun.  We help the Blues score a 1st round pick and other picks, and we had to 'sweeten' the deal by giving Toronto a crappy prospect for a 4th round pick 3 years from now.  

Honestly, we're the kid that is giving lunch tickets away hoping to make some friends in the process.  The Wild got absolutely NOTHING out of that deal.  

• Haha 1

IMO this sends the message that the Wild will not be buyers this year.

Per capfriendly they went from 4.8 mill down to 2.9 mill in cap space.

They could make some moves but it will be much harder now.

Unless this move is tied to something else I think they will be selling.

I don't have a problem with them selling.  I think its the smarter move right now given their constrictions salary-cap wise moving forward the next two seasons.  But still...it wasn't a real impressive asset to utilize that cap space they have.  

Well its technically more than $2.9 million because that's not pro-rated with what's left in the season.  They still have about $8 million of cap space to bury dead contracts and add prospects / picks in exchange for helping out.  

35 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

IMO this sends the message that the Wild will not be buyers this year.

Per capfriendly they went from 4.8 mill down to 2.9 mill in cap space.

They could make some moves but it will be much harder now.

Unless this move is tied to something else I think they will be selling.

This move MIGHT be tied to the Wild setting themselves up as a charity organization, you know, for tax break purposes, so other teams should be a-calling... :shifty: 

29 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This move MIGHT be tied to the Wild setting themselves up as a charity organization, you know, for tax break purposes, so other teams should be a-calling... :shifty: 

This is essentially what Russo tweeted. For $74K they bought the 4th round pick from TOR. They also sent Pillar to TOR because they weren’t going to sign him. Too many young guys coming up, and they all can’t play in St. Paul. He also indirectly stated that while this may help St Louis, it will also help the Wild get a better first round pick this season, since St. Louis is heating up and very well could catch the Wild. Pretty much signals they are going to be sellers…