Flyers 2023 Entry Level Draft - 7th overall (confirmed)

pilldoc

If unable to draft either Bedard or Fantilli, who would you like to see the Flyers Draft?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 players you would like to see the Flyers Draft if Bedard and Fantilli are unavailalbe?

• Leo Carlsson, C/W (Orebro, SHL)
    • Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg, WHL)
    • Will Smith, C (USNTDP)
    • Andrew Cristall, LW (Kelowna, WHL)
    • Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK, Allsvenskan)
    • David Reinbacher, D (Kloten, NL)
    • Eduard Sale, RW (Brno, Czechia)
    • Nate Danielson, C (Brandon, WHL)
    • Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    • Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)
    • Other

9 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Conspiracy talk fits a loser franchise.

"We would have won the lottery, but it's fixed".

"We would have won but the refs were against us."

"We would have won a Cup, but our goaltending."

Chicago played the game the Flyers and their fans wouldn't.  We'll see what they have won in a couple years.

I'm betting they're better than the Flyers inside of two years.  Everyone will point to the lottery, but as I posted a couple weeks ago, they have tons of assets coming and their cap situation will be all fixed by the time they arrive.  They are swollowing their medicine, while the Flyers, like a freaking baby, are trying to spit theirs out.

Not saying the Flyers would have won or even deserved to get Bedard. All I am saying is it's a little weird Bedard going to Chicago is the best for the league, and shazam it happens. Makes one go hmmm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@flyercanuck

Didn't Jiriceck have a pretty significant knee injury?

Yeah, it's what made him slide down a little.  He was healthy by the draft, but still was a concern at the time.   Chutcher skipped over him because he had skill and it was a smart pick.  We can't have that!

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, it's what made him slide down a little.  He was healthy by the draft, but still was a concern at the time.   Chutcher skipped over him because he had skill and it was a smart pick.  We can't have that!

Jiriceck would have been a phenomenal pick…… Wretch would have none of that…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I posted another thread on the topic.  The question may be whether the Kraken are a new form of architecture for the league.  They have no real "superstars" but they do have a distributed talent pool that is fast and beats other defenses.

Could the Flyers engineer that kind of build? I doubt it.  I recall Edmonton had years of good picks and went nowhere for a long time.  Buffalo may be pulling out of a funk.  If Briere traded down to 10 and got another high second, I'd say fine.....assuming they could pick some good folks.  I am not sure that happens with this team.  And as others have said many times, Torts was the wrong dude to pick if you wanted several lousy years in a row.  He will coach respectability out of garbage.  But the faithful shouldn't worry.  We have another few years of mediocrity ahead, especially if Danny trades away our competent players for picks or prospects. 

Kraken did it the right way. 

They started by grabbing the best goalie who was available in free agency. True, Grubauer had some regular season ups and downs (as goalies do) but he's been very solid in the playoffs.

They also took a ton of D men in the expansion draft, kept the best, traded the rest, added BIG D men in free agency. 

Built a team around fast forwards and spread the talent around so they can roll lines and keep up a tenacious pace. 

It's a solid blueprint. 

Flyers arguably already have the goaltending. Check. 

D is nowhere near where it needs to be. 

Forwards need more speed. 

As a starting point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Here's my question for you all. 

If he's still there at #7 do you draft Michkov?

I don't and it's simply political..and it's sad. He might not ever play for us, because the Russian government won't let him. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Flyers arguably already have the goaltending. Check. 

D is nowhere near where it needs to be. 

Forwards need more speed. 

As a starting point. 

All of this. The question is whether they can improve the D and add speed with the forwards in a time frame that makes keeping the goalie an important thing.

How different will Briere's approach be?

It Begins Here We Go GIF by hero0fwar

23 hours ago, Fizz said:

Not saying the Flyers would have won or even deserved to get Bedard. All I am saying is it's a little weird Bedard going to Chicago is the best for the league, and shazam it happens. Makes one go hmmm.

It is weird that the team with the highest percentage a better than one in ten chance to get the #1 overall got the #1 overall.

Who could have predicted such a thing?

Thinking Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He had a knee injury, that turned out to be no big deal.

Was it known to be "no big deal"? 

I don't remember it that way, but I've been wrong before.

I know Fletcher was the worst yada yada yada...but he had just traded a damaged #2 draft pick . 

So, I don't know if I can gnash my teeth over having a great prospect in Gauthier instead of a great prospect in Jiricek.

It's not like the Flyers don't need forwards. 

Edited by mojo1917

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm in that same space. I think if the geopolitical situation weren't a thing, there's no chance he's there at 7.   I don't think the Flyers are in a place to take the risk.    Someone further down will take the risk and could get well end up with one hell of a bargain.   We're the wrong Philadelphia team to do it, I think.

If he's still there in the 2nd round I do take that risk. 

I don't think, given what we all witnessed with Fedotov, drafting the top Russian prospect since Ovechkin is wise with a top 10 pick.

Michkov's signing the extension isn't helpful either. 

If it goes the way Fedotov did, it would be a Nolan Patrick situation again. 

12 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Here's my question for you all. 

If he's still there at #7 do you draft Michkov?

No after the bad luck with Patrick and then their goalie being forced back to Russia and now never to return again hell no do i pick that guy...can't afford to waste another 1st round pick in a rebuild.

No need to be risky here just take the next best player and let another club take that risk.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If he's still there in the 2nd round I do take that risk

Agreed.   Now we just need a second pick.

I don't think, given what we all witnessed with Fedotov, drafting the top Russian prospect since Ovechkin is wise with a top 10 pick.

Michkov's signing the extension isn't helpful either. 

If it goes the way Fedotov did, it would be a Nolan Patrick situation again. 

This.  1000x this.

So great to see a Flyer prospect getting his concussion history going so soon thanks Germany you motherf*kers!!!!!

Never seen a franchise have such bad luck in my life...why could i have chosen to be a Canes fan first...

The Athletics' mock selection...

7. Philadelphia Flyers: Gabe Perreault, LW, U.S. NTDP

My ranking: No. 8

The draft may well get live before the Flyers’ selection, but if it doesn’t then I fully expect that their selection will be the turning point into the wide open anything-can-happen phase of the draft. I liked the track that colleague Charlie O’Connor was on in our staff mock draft when he argued in favour of Danny Briere and the Flyers taking a swing on a talent.

They’ve got the shot-first guys with pro size in Cutter Gauthier and Tyson Forester. I’d guess they angle away from another player with a scoring tilt, like a Ryan Leonard or a Matthew Wood, as a result. Though a Dalibor Dvorsky or Nate Danielson would be the safe play for a 2C of the future, I don’t think that’s the profile they should be targeting with a pick of this value. And while I think they’ll strongly consider Reinbacher if he’s here, I like them to take a cut on a playmaker who can complement a Gauthier.

That player may be Benson, whom O’Connor took and who’d be my pick if it were up to me. But I do wonder if the skill-smarts-creativity package of Gabe Perreault, who will also be Gauthier’s teammate at Boston College in the fall, makes the most sense. He’s not as close to NHL ready as some of the other options, but if Briere and company want to commit to a proper rebuild, then commit.

I myself wouldn't like the Perreault pick because once again kid is a RW and well that is the deepest position on the Flyers.

They need C, LW, RHD in no particular order.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Ya, Snoop Dogg and Ryan Reynolds are fighting it out to buy Ottawa. Talk to whichever group loses that bid. 

If Snoop Dogg bought the team, any chance he's rename them The Highers? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

🤪

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I myself wouldn't like the Perreault pick because once again kid is a RW and well that is the deepest position on the Flyers.

They need C, LW, RHD in no particular order.

I take BPA regardless of position, but if that isn't clear then I go with your priority for sure.

But if they were to move Konecny, then RW becomes a valid option.    I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning in the article.  I'm okay with more shoot first.  You don't want a team of all shooters (or all playmakers who won't shoot) either, but I wouldn't not take someone because they shoot.   If it's Benson vs. Perrault, I want Benson.

If it's forward or a legit RHD, I'm going RHD. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, radoran said:

It is weird that the team with the highest percentage chance to get the #1 overall got the #1 overall.

Draft Lottery Participants (Fewest Points to Most), with Odds:

Anaheim Ducks -- 18.5%

Columbus Blue Jackets -- 13.5%

Chicago Blackhawks -- 11.5%

San Jose Sharks -- 9.5%

Montreal Canadiens -- 8.5%

Arizona Coyotes -- 7.5%

Philadelphia Flyers -- 6.5%

Washington Capitals -- 6.0%

Detroit Red Wings -- 5.0%

St. Louis Blues -- 3.5%

Vancouver Canucks -- 3.0%

Ottawa Senators* -- 2.5%

Buffalo Sabres -- 2.0%

Pittsburgh Penguins -- 1.5

• Like 1

6 hours ago, radoran said:

It is weird that the team with the highest percentage chance to get the #1 overall got the #1 overall.

I mean, I would have predicted such a thing, but I would have been wrong since the team with the third highest (but biggest TV market) got the 1st overall.

30 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Draft Lottery Participants (Fewest Points to Most), with Odds:

Anaheim Ducks -- 18.5%

Columbus Blue Jackets -- 13.5%

Chicago Blackhawks -- 11.5%

San Jose Sharks -- 9.5%

Montreal Canadiens -- 8.5%

Arizona Coyotes -- 7.5%

Philadelphia Flyers -- 6.5%

Washington Capitals -- 6.0%

Detroit Red Wings -- 5.0%

St. Louis Blues -- 3.5%

Vancouver Canucks -- 3.0%

Ottawa Senators* -- 2.5%

Buffalo Sabres -- 2.0%

Pittsburgh Penguins -- 1.5

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I mean, I would have predicted such a thing, but I would have been wrong since the team with the third highest (but biggest TV market) got the 1st overall.

No, true, and I edited now to just being a better than 1 in 10 chance.

It's not at all "shocking" under the circumstances. "Shocking" would be a 6.5% chance taking it.

And, to be clear, the NHL's opacity on these results is ridiculous and hurts them more than it helps.

And the league is more valuable and more popular than ever so if they're rigging it, it seems to be working for all of the parties concerned...

We fans just get to finance the whole thing.

:hocky:

• Good Post 1