Flyers 2023 Entry Level Draft - 7th overall (confirmed)

pilldoc

If unable to draft either Bedard or Fantilli, who would you like to see the Flyers Draft?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2 players you would like to see the Flyers Draft if Bedard and Fantilli are unavailalbe?

• Leo Carlsson, C/W (Orebro, SHL)
    • Zach Benson, LW (Winnipeg, WHL)
    • Will Smith, C (USNTDP)
    • Andrew Cristall, LW (Kelowna, WHL)
    • Dalibor Dvorsky, C (AIK, Allsvenskan)
    • David Reinbacher, D (Kloten, NL)
    • Eduard Sale, RW (Brno, Czechia)
    • Nate Danielson, C (Brandon, WHL)
    • Brayden Yager, C (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    • Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)
    • Other

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

If I felt I could predict what would happen in the future, I would have a lot more money.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

You can do it...but you're like me i ain't going to claim how accurate i will be.......by any means. Hell no not with this club.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

You can do it...but you're like me i ain't going to claim how accurate i will be.......by any means. Hell no not with this club.

A betting man would take the 1 in 4 shot for Bedard over the 1/20 shot.

But that's why they bounce the ping pong balls.

The Ducks also have all of seven guys signed after next season and $38M in cap space going into this offseason.

The Flyers have 10 and just $8.8M going into this offseason.

That's one team planning for a rebuild and another being forced into it.

Meltzer says you can't fix everything in one offseason.

Here's hoping Briere gives it his best shot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

A betting man would take the 1 in 4 shot for Bedard over the 1/20 shot.

Sorry for the confusion i was asking who will be better in the 3 years guess who that will be not who is getting the #1 of course that has to be the Ducks hands down.

What i was asking who do you think will be sitting better say in the standings in 3 years let's just say in their respective conferences between the 2? Ducks didn't even have one 30 goal scorer. (sure i know Flyers only had one).

The Ducks also have all of seven guys signed after next season and $38M in cap space going into this offseason.

The Flyers have 10 and just $8.8M going into this offseason.

Crazy and not much for Danny to work with.

Meltzer says you can't fix everything in one offseason.

I agree no effin way. So i would be over the moon with just no more Hayes and TDA.

And of course the obvious no more JVR, Braun, Lemieux and Bellows.

Somewhere along the lines of this i posted in another thread.

86 Joel Farabee - 14 Sean Couturier - 74 Owen Tippett
91 Elliott Desnoyer - 48 Morgan Frost - 11 Travis Konecny
49 Noah Cates - 21 Scott Laughton - 71 Tyson Foerster
44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 58 Tanner Laczynski - 57 Wade Allison

9 Ivan Provorov - 45 Cam York
6 Travis Sanheim - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
54 Yegor Zamula - 8 Ronnie Attard

23 Nick Seeler

79 Carter Hart
32 Felix Sandström

Marginal improvement.

Sure i don't know WTF Cam Atkinson is going to fit in and well another conversation for later.

Here's hoping Briere gives it his best shot.

Absolutely on his first day rolling out of bed he is already better than Chuck. No where to go but up.

How far i won't guess...

Edited by OccamsRazor

Meant to add forgot this was a draft thread a nice prospect at 7 (my guess Oliver Moore) would hopefully go a long way to pushing them into the right direction.

I think it is safe to say NO MORE RIGHT WINGERS PLEASE LW/C/D please!!!!!

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

i was asking who will be better in the 3 years

Yeah, and Bedard certainly figures into that.

My point is that the Ducks have the better chance at being better in three years based on the metrics - long term commitments, available salary cap space, chance at the 1/2 pick.

What Actually Happens is another thing. Flyers win the lottery, Ducks fall to three, and we're having a different conversation.

• Like 1

Anaheim:

2024 Roster/Cap Space: 16/$38.1M

5-Year Window Rank: 24

Prospect Rankings: 3

Draft Picks First 3 Rounds:

2023: 1/3/2

2024: 1/2/3

2025: 1/1/1

Philadelphia:

2024 Roster/Cap Space: 16/$8.0M

5-Year Window Rank: 30

Prospect Rankings: 24

Draft Picks First 3 Rounds:

2023: 1/0/2

2024: 2/0/1

2025: 1/1/1

Baring the Flyers getting Bedard, I would put my money on Anaheim (3rd ranked prospect pool, oodles of cap space) over Philadelphia (24th ranked prospect pool, no cap space).

So, assuming we stay right where we are and pick 7th........................

I think I'd take David Reinbacher. 

I would not be upset if they took Ryan Leonard. Zachary Benson if he hasn't been taken yet but probably will be. 

and in the 2nd round..........................oh right.............

8 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I think I'd take David Reinbacher. 

At 7? Or trading back to get him?? A lot of mocks i have seen have him going around 12-15.

Can't say i have been up on my prospects like have been in the past.

I would not be upset if they took Ryan Leonard.

He may be a linemate with Cutter Gauthier the next upcoming year from the reports i have seen.

Oliver Moore has a lot of upside and would be a pick i would like at 7. But we need a star i don't care who it is.

all you people voting for Leo Carlsson, sorry, he isn't going to be there at pick 7. He's definitely top 5. Maybe top 3. 

I originally posted this on March 11th.  So most of these votes occurred in the few days after I made that initial post.  At that time there was no way to predict where the Flyers were going to finish.  In the last 2-3 weeks and it looked more and more the Flyers were going to finish 7th, yes ... I agree..Carlsson will not be there.  I said it before, if the Flyers do not win the lottery, the I believe they will be picking between .....

image.png.9e19d13fe8e16dea918aa51cdabfbdf2.png

Can't fault the folks who voted over a month ago ......

All of the teams drafting before the Flyers this year will win a playoff game before our beloved Flyers. Briere's rebuild will take 3 years minimum and probably longer if they choose a gentle removal of the dead wood versus a BITFU. In 3 years Couturier will have 4 years left, Sanheim will have 5 years left, Atkinson and Ellis will still be on LTIR . We have all joked about the chucktard but he did significant damage to the franchise, and it will take Briere some time to fix it. And when you add in the asset depreciation that the idiot coach did this year you can probably add another year or 2 to the process. I would never defend Hayes or TDA, they are slugs, but Torts should have been bulking up their trade value, not depreciating it. Lots of players have won in sports all the while despising the coach. It isn't Torts' franchise he is a guest, hopefully for not much longer. They need to draft top 3 for a year or 3, not 7th, that is the only way out of the mess Homer and the chuckster created.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

At 7? Or trading back to get him?? A lot of mocks i have seen have him going around 12-15.

Can't say i have been up on my prospects like have been in the past.

I would take him at 7. I don't see him lasting past 10 and he's the best D in the draft. If we had 2nd rounders you could look at numerous D men there, but we don't. No way he gets past Buffalo at 13. Gives you a better ability to also move Provorov if that becomes viable in terms of return. 

I'm also not crazy about the forwards in and around 7. 1-5 sure, easy to choose, but 7 gets a little tricky. Reinbacher to me is as close to a sure thing as you get. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He may be a linemate with Cutter Gauthier the next upcoming year from the reports i have seen.

Oliver Moore has a lot of upside and would be a pick i would like at 7. But we need a star i don't care who it is.

Definitely has speed. He's slipped in the rankings though to the low to mid teens. I'm not sure he's the star you're looking for. If we are sticking with the Torts plan, we should build from the back to the front - goal (check) - then D - then F.   If we can't trade Risto we need to build a D where he's bottom pairing at best. 

15 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I would take him at 7. I don't see him lasting past 10 and he's the best D in the draft.

Ok then well. If it is close or say almost a tie. Then go with need. And they need good D men offense as of now not worried about they have to keep goals out their damn net.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Definitely has speed. He's slipped in the rankings though to the low to mid teens. I'm not sure he's the star you're looking for.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl2006/Chicago.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/185 lbs
Position:C
Team: Regina (WHL)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl2006/Columbus08.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/195 lbs
Team: U. of Michigan (NCAA)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl2006/Anaheim2.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/172 lbs
Position:RW
Team: SKA (KHL)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl2006/San%20Jose08.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/198 lbs
Position:C/LW
Team: Orebro (SHL)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl2006/Montreal.gif
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/172 lbs
Team: U18 NTDP

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl2006/Arizona-2021-pres.gif
Ht/Wt:5'10"/160 lbs
Position:C/LW
Team: Winnipeg (WHL)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl2006/Philadelphia.gif
Ht/Wt:5'11"/176 lbs
Team: U18 NTDP

I agree with the first 6. Trouble is Philly drafts 7 and that's where it's not as obvious as to who to choose from. 

(Given the Russia thing if I'm drafting 3rd, I'd take a serious think about Carlsson over Michkov too. Depends on the team's situation and if they want to wait or not as well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I would take him at 7. I don't see him lasting past 10 and he's the best D in the draft. If we had 2nd rounders you could look at numerous D men there, but we don't. No way he gets past Buffalo at 13. Gives you a better ability to also move Provorov if that becomes viable in terms of return. 

I'm also not crazy about the forwards in and around 7. 1-5 sure, easy to choose, but 7 gets a little tricky. Reinbacher to me is as close to a sure thing as you get. 

If we were gonna draft defense  it should have been in last year's draft,  Jiricek is the kinda guy you build around. I like Gauthier alot but I think Jiricek is way better than any defenseman in this year's draft. So I'd rather get a speedy playmaking center or trade up in the draft. Management probably didn't think Sanheim and Provorov would be this bad and York would have all his shots blocked which he can hopefully rectify. So they thought we were set on defense.  If we plan on trading Konecny,  then we need a high end young defensemen coming back. I think Provorov doesn't wanna be around  for another rebuild, he's been in a rebuild for six out of seven years. So maybe you move Konecny for a top young dman plus a pick and you package the 7th pick with Provorov and try and trade up to grab one of the cant miss players. Or better yet win the lottery.

Edited by RonJeremy

33 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we were gonna draft defense  it should have been in last year's draft,  Jiricek is the kinda guy you build around. I like Gauthier alot but I think Jiricek is way better than any defenseman in this year's draft. So I'd rather get a speedy playmaking center or trade up in the draft. Management probably didn't think Sanheim and Provorov would be this bad and York would have all his shots blocked which he can hopefully rectify. So they thought we were set on defense.  If we plan on trading Konecny,  then we need a high end young defensemen coming back. I think Provorov doesn't wanna be around  for another rebuild, he's been in a rebuild for six out of seven years. So maybe you move Konecny for a top young dman plus a pick and you package the 7th pick with Provorov and try and trade up to grab one of the cant miss players. Or better yet win the lottery.

I agree on Jiricek...yet another Fletcher f*** up. Though I still like Gauthier as well, a top deman is clearly tougher to find.

I still think Sanheim and Provorov can rebound under real NHL management...though with the latter it may be on another team.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree on Jiricek...yet another Fletcher f*** up. Though I still like Gauthier as well, a top deman is clearly tougher to find.

I still think Sanheim and Provorov can rebound under real NHL management...though with the latter it may be on another team.

Especially Provorov,  I think he is a much better all around dman than Sanheim,but he's not happy in Philly. If Provorov had a good partner he'd play alot better, Braun and Deangelo certainly were not it. It's much easier to trade Provorov due to his contract compared to Sanheim. Thing is we have Sanheim and York who are very similar,  neither are physical and are more of the offensive type, Provy is an all around guy but ,he isn't happy and will get the best return if we trade a dman.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

If we are top 5, I agree on forward. Any of the top 5 are almost sure things (with the small ? on Michkov). I also agree about Jiricek. That was the guy I was hoping we'd get last year. I do think however that Reinbacher is better than the forwards left in the 5-10 range. 

Part of my thinking is also that they will in fact make moves and Provorov is a highly probable move. Whatever happens, this will be a multi year process. 

29 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

If we are top 5, I agree on forward. Any of the top 5 are almost sure things (with the small ? on Michkov). I also agree about Jiricek. That was the guy I was hoping we'd get last year. I do think however that Reinbacher is better than the forwards left in the 5-10 range. 

Part of my thinking is also that they will in fact make moves and Provorov is a highly probable move. Whatever happens, this will be a multi year process. 

I agree. I figure if they get a defenseman for Provorov or Konecny, then they pick a forward. Oliver Moore is supposed to have blazing speed and playmaking ability, he should be available. The Flyers certainly could use some speed and historically we always draft the slower two way player and then complain that we have no high end skill. Let’s go for the sports car instead of the usual station wagon.

• Like 1

So, here's a question:  pretend for a second that someone not the Flyers wins the lottery, pushing Philly to 8th pick.  Are you still drafting BPA there or are you trading back for a mid-round first and hoping to pick up a second?   All of the forwards in the 6-9 range are kind of a interchangeable, so maybe you just draft anyway.  But looking for thoughts.