Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

In the end anyone I'm interviewing for either the Director of Hockey Ops or the GM job needs to answer the following:

How are you going to get the Flyers to be competing with Carolina and New Jersey for home ice advantage in the playoffs in 26-27? Forget the wild card, forget Pittsburgh/Washington ...

What's the plan, and who else are you bringing in to help you execute said plan.

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

In the end anyone I'm interviewing for either the Director of Hockey Ops or the GM job needs to answer the following:

How are you going to get the Flyers to be competing with Carolina and New Jersey for home ice advantage in the playoffs in 26-27? Forget the wild card, forget Pittsburgh/Washington ...

What's the plan, and who else are you bringing in to help you execute said plan.

Has Eric Lindros been involved in front office work??? If so i wasn't aware of this.

But it would be funny if Big E was brought in and he was the one who forced Bobby Clarke out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Has Eric Lindros been involved in front office work??? If so i wasn't aware of this.

But it would be funny if Big E was brought in and he was the one who forced Bobby Clarke out.

would be funny .... I did a quick google search and he has no FO work/experience .....

Just now, pilldoc said:

would be funny .... I did a quick google search and he has no FO work/experience .....

Yeah so not sure where this is coming from for Friedman to report this. But no need to bring in a guy like that with zero experience this isn't a video game.

There is a lot of heavy lifting needing to be done to this roster and i don't want to waste any more time.

It is time to get down to business and Danny B. could use some outside advise i think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is time to get down to business and Danny B. could use some outside advise i think.

Totally agree ...someone with actual hockey FO experience.  Loved Eric as a player...however ... I don't want him anywhere near the FO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Totally agree ...someone with actual hockey FO experience.  Loved Eric as a player...however ... I don't want him anywhere near the FO.

I don't want him in a decision making capacity, but if he wants to get his feet wet like Briere did, that's another story.

Hiring "a name" is one of the organization's* big problems.

• Like 3

Here is a wild outside the box thought ......

Have Torts become team president. Search this off-season for a new coach. Now in fairness Torts has never been in that seat before and Comcast may want someone with more experience in the front office rather than a longtime coach to sit next to Briere for now.  But an interesting thought nonetheless ......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Math said:

MO, dealing Hart would be a grade AAA+ mistake.

I agree that is why most of us who have stated we would consider it would have to have our socks blown off by a trade offer none i have seen are wanting to trade him just to make a trade.

We're happy with him and there are much bigger glaring concerns with this roster.

But in a rebuild well i have to listen to every offer...due diligence that Danny B. will have to do.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Here is a wild outside the box thought ......

Have Torts become team president. Search this off-season for a new coach. Now in fairness Torts has never been in that seat before and Comcast may want someone with more experience in the front office rather than a longtime coach to sit next to Briere for now.  But an interesting thought nonetheless ......

I think this makes sense.

I've seen it brought up other places and in conversations I've had with some buddies.

Since he's started with PHI Fonzie has sounded like a personnel guy frequently. 

He definitely has ideas about organizational and player development.

I don't think this idea should be dismissed out of hand.

5 minutes ago, Math said:

IMO, dealing Hart would be a grade AAA+ mistake. He's still a young goalie with lot of potential and room for improvement. he has to be part of the core of the future team or even more: the centerpiece of it.

I suffer from PPLGS that's an acronym for Post Pelle Lindberg Goalie Syndrome, many Flyers fans are afflicted with this crippling disorder.

The haul from trading Carter Hart would have to comically one sided. Like a superstar player, a mid-first round pick and a prospect  and they retain some salary for me to want to trade the first home grown goalie prospect in 40 years. But if Chuck Fletcher were to find another job and offer that ?  It's been nice knowing you Carter.

I agree with your post. 

• Like 3

Just now, Math said:

IMO, dealing Hart would be a grade AAA+ mistake. He's still a young goalie with lot of potential and room for improvement. he has to be part of the core of the future team or even more: the centerpiece of it.

Agree 100%, but the real question is can they actually put a team in front of him that he can be the centerpiece of, or does he wind up being Carey Price tilting at proverbial windmills on a franchise that can't get over the hump?

It would suck to have him go off and win a Cup in *shudder* Tronno, but it would also suck for him to be the best player on a team going nowhere.

To be able to acquire a superstar piece plus get rid of Hayes are general parameters of a deal I'm willing to at least look at.

And I'm not at all saying that that's the sum total of the deal. Just the starting point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

for me to want to trade the first home grown goalie prospect in 40 years

The Habs have had two in the past 40 years.

They have one Cup to show for it.

30 years ago.

Agree that the return would need to be huge. That's what I'm talking about.

Some other damn media fool mentioned getting Jack Campbell in a return, which is just smacked ass insane.

The Flyers win the deal or the deal doesn't happen.

The Leaes™️ are in a cap crunch, may need to move one of their big names, need a goalie, and are in desperate win now mode.

If one can't put them over a barrel in that situation, don't do it :hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I suffer from PPLGS that's an acronym for Post Pelle Lindberg Goalie Syndrome, many Flyers fans are afflicted with this crippling disorder.

I suffer from PTSD everytime I see a Porsche ....  :ph34r:

(Note: this is NOT a knock on those who suffer this terrible condition .... just making a joke with regards to goalies and Flyer's History ...)

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

Some other damn media fool mentioned getting Jack Campbell in a return, which is just smacked ass insane.

That damn media fool needs to be smacked up side the damn head ...

smacked slap gif GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Just in case you guys want to ask some pointed questions...

image.png.4082291ead92333dd4944778b335d963.png

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck Chuck?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, radoran said:

Obviously you need to nail all that (contract, etc) down as part of the deal.

It's more wild speculation but I do think they need (and want) to do something to radically change course.

I think that's true. I hope that's true, but it'll be hard. If you want to move out Hayes' money I guess you call up the teams with a lot of cap space (Chicago, Anaheim, etc.) and offer him up there for cheap. It's a maybe. 

Hart is a big name that would bring a solid return. It's a gamble, but it would signal a shift to youth. Depends on how much you believe in Ersson. 

I don't really want them to go after big names like Matthews. A rebuild should focus on fixing the cap and building around young talent on first contracts. Once you get that in place, then and only then do you try to add veterans in spots where you have holes. 

11 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

If you want to move out Hayes' money I guess you call up the teams with a lot of cap space (Chicago, Anaheim, etc.) and offer him up there for cheap.

Hayes has a M-NTC so that's a problem. The deal has to be somewhere he wants to go...

Depends on how much you believe in Ersson. 

Depends on if you think this team is "rebuilt" in the next 3-5 years. Moving Hart in this situation has nothing at all to do with who else is in the system.

I don't really want them to go after big names like Matthews. A rebuild should focus on fixing the cap and building around young talent on first contracts.

You don't win without a superstar and you don't get a superstar by drafting in the mid to low end of the draft.

Successful teams these days generally have multiple, home grown, high picks.

You either take the time - like the Devils - to gather those picks or you go the Rangers route which would be having a good young core (as the Flyers with York, Konecny, Farabee, etc.) to add a Panarin-type (Matthews) to and be ready to compete in the next 2-3 seasons.

Is the comparison apples to apples? No. One is projecting that some of the younger talent in the A/bubble (Foerster, Brink, Allison...) will be 20/50 type players and you are adding a superstar to complement them.

The Flyers aren't competing against themselves - they are competing against other teams with better, younger players. That was their failure during the VeeGees years - their "stars" simply weren't as good as other teams' stars. By a long shot.

Farabee and Konecny may be 25-30 goal players, but that's not on the same level of other teams' top scorers.

The reason to be targeting a Matthews rightnow is that he actually could be available. Tronno is talking about needing to move someone. That's an opportunity that should at the very least be explored.

It could be that now is not the time to make that move. It just happens that the opportunity may be there.

A "rebuild" that's back to the "make the playoffs and anything can happen" phillyosophy simply isn't going to work, because it never has.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It wouldn't be Eric forcing Clarke out, it would be his mommy.

• Haha 1

TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAR

IF CHUCK FLETCHER WAS STILL HERE, I WOULDN'T TRUST HIM TO GET A GOOD RETURN WHILE RETAINING SALARY ON AN EXPIRING FREE AGENT 20-GOAL SCORING FORWARD MUCH LESS A BLUE CHIP LIKE CARTER HART.

Just so we're clear.

:hocky:

• Like 2