Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

49 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

kiss of death…. = no way in hell Bettman lets Bedard come to Philly unless as a member of the visiting team 

come on….what he’s got some secret power over how ping pong balls bounce and fall?

The “everybody hates the Flyers” days are long gone. Hardly anyone remembers that game where Flyers’ fans were throwing hockey pucks at the Easter Bunny. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Anyone believe this comment?

I think so...and Flyer fans deserve some good luck for a change. 

Heck, we deserve it just for having to put up with Fletchers Flyercide. 

On 3/15/2023 at 9:06 AM, radoran said:

Despite appearances to the contrary, I'm not a huge Auston Matthews fan but the guy has hockey talent for miles past what we've seen in Philadelphia in the 21st Century.

Just watched Tampa put a beat down on the Leafs and Matthews disappeared as he often does come playoff time. Shot of him on the bench near the end, not only was he not sweating, he looked like he didn't care. Do you really want a guy who craps out every post season? I think not. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The “everybody hates the Flyers” days are long gone. Hardly anyone remembers that game where Flyers’ fans were throwing hockey pucks at the Easter Bunny. 

I guess I forgot my sarcasm font .... it was more of a tongue in cheek comment. ;) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Just watched Tampa put a beat down on the Leafs and Matthews disappeared as he often does come playoff time. Shot of him on the bench near the end, not only was he not sweating, he looked like he didn't care. Do you really want a guy who craps out every post season? I think not. 

So, Claude Giroux, then? No. Good point.

Of course, in the "beatdown" where he "disappeared" he had two points and was +1.

And, again, not necessarily advocating for the move, just noting that the move may be out there to be had.

If an "Auston Matthews" is available to be acquired and your rebuilding team doesn't take a serious look at it, that's borderline malpractice.

That doesn't mean you mortgage the farm to get the player. It means you don't discard the opportunity to acquire a player who has never scored less than 34 in a season and has 35 points in 40 playoff games because you don't like his mustache.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

That doesn't mean you mortgage the farm to get the player. It means you don't discard the opportunity to acquire a player who has never scored less than 34 in a season and has 35 points in 40 playoff games because you don't like his mustache.

I agree with you all the way up to your last point. After having put up with Fletcher, Hayes, JVR, Deangelo, Ristolainen, Lemieux and the Iron Man, I just can't do that mustache!  

6 hours ago, radoran said:

So, Claude Giroux, then? No. Good point.

Of course, in the "beatdown" where he "disappeared" he had two points and was +1.

And, again, not necessarily advocating for the move, just noting that the move may be out there to be had.

If an "Auston Matthews" is available to be acquired and your rebuilding team doesn't take a serious look at it, that's borderline malpractice.

Nope. What I'm saying is you don't want to bust your salary cap on a handful of "stars" like him leaving you no room to build a proper team. Do not follow the Leafs model. 

So no, I'm not paying anybody that kind of money if they are not playoff guys. 

28 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Nope. What I'm saying is you don't want to bust your salary cap on a handful of "stars" like him leaving you no room to build a proper team. Do not follow the Leafs model. 

So no, I'm not paying anybody that kind of money if they are not playoff guys. 

heck the oilers got beat by kings with no 40 goal scorers, i really think fans need to face reality that defensive hockey isnt going anywhere unfortunately unless gary starts banned defensive style hockey, it's main reason why offensive first scheme doesnt work in the playoffs, too many trap teams.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am at work all I can post now...

Flyers Interview Emilie Castonguay, Presumably for President of Hockey Operations Position

Who is she??? I'm too lazy to google her right now ....

Name: Emilie Castonguay

Title: Assistant general manager, Vancouver Canucks 

Education: Bachelor - Finance. Bachelor - Law. Bar association member (Lawyer)

Years of hockey experience:  25 years (10 working, 15 playing)

Describe your job in 2-3 sentences.

Part of the management team of the Vancouver Canucks hockey operations department. Help create a Stanley Cup-contending team.

And why would she be good for the Flyers?  Honest question ... not trying to be sarcastic here.  I really don't know much about her.

16 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

heck the oilers got beat by kings with no 40 goal scorers, i really think fans need to face reality that defensive hockey isnt going anywhere unfortunately unless gary starts banned defensive style hockey, it's main reason why offensive first scheme doesnt work in the playoffs, too many trap teams.

I could be wrong here ...but a balanced attack is what is needed.  Be able to score a few quick goals then be defensively responsible to hold that lead.  Totally understand where you are coming from .......  you are not wrong.

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

they are not playoff guys. 

35 points in 40 playoff games.

Could do worse.

If the Leaes don't get out of the first round, look for them to make a big move (which they need to do anyway...)

Matthews just seems like a guy Briere would be interested in.

Not that any of it matters until we know what happens in the playoffs, lottery, and draft.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, radoran said:

What gives you that impression? God I hope you are wrong.

I'm not a Matthews fan, to me he's a talented Kevin Hayes - attitude-wise. He strikes me as having a whole lotta "Pay Me" in his attitude - he's definitely got the "Look At Me" showboat gene.

But anyway - I'm curious what makes you think Briere would consider him.

As far as trades and FAs I hope he's looking for D if anything - and in any case a much less expensive, more team and teammate-oriented types; in other words "NHL stars" need not apply, at least not this summer. In a year or 2 we can start looking for the game breakers.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

3 hours ago, tucson83 said:

I wouldn't say defensive hockey now is "trap" hockey. That would be incorrect. It's not left wing lock either, and the Islanders man on man coverage doesn't look like it can hold up to real speed and tenacity but there's no question solid 2 way players like Kopitar and Danault in LA can give offensive teams fits. Defense does (most times) still win championships. 

2 hours ago, radoran said:

35 points in 40 playoff games.

Could do worse.

If the Leaes don't get out of the first round, look for them to make a big move (which they need to do anyway...)

Not that any of it matters until we know what happens in the playoffs, lottery, and draft.

If the Leafs lose in the first round I suspect Dubas will be fired. After that, the new GM likely won't move too fast but you never know. Trade Matthews to the desert where he came from? I'd say that's a possible. I doubt we have what they would want anyway, unless the new GM is Fletcher and we can trade them Risto and Hayes. 

Edited by GrittyForever

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But anyway - I'm curious what makes you think Briere would consider him.

To compare him to Kevin Hayes is simply crazy. Plus if the guy can score 35+ goals as an unmotivated jerk, what could a Tortorella do for him?

I give you Vincent Lecavalier.

I honestly don't think that they make the big move to get Matthews, but it's certainly not beyond the realm of comprehension or possibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

Trade Matthews to the desert where he came from? I'd say that's a possible.

Makes sense and gives them an actual star that could fill their 5000 seat hockey arena.

Coyotes would also have the draft capital and prospects Tronno c/w/should be looking for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Makes sense and gives them an actual star that could fill their 5000 seat hockey arena.

Coyotes would also have the draft capital and prospects Tronno c/w/should be looking for.

That's what I was thinking. Coyotes have a ton of draft capital/prospects and homeboys are the thing these days in sports.  

It blows me away that there are people in this thread that think Auston Matthews on the Flyers would be a bad thing.

I don't know if it is possible at all, but I would make whomever available to build around that guy.

I would trade Carter Hart and this year's first (provided it's not top 3) and whatever else Toronto would want. 

The Flyers system is loaded with "other" guys that can be elevated by a superstar and would come cheap.

What they have needed for a long time is a "the man". Matthews would be the most talented Flyer since...Lindros? 

Matthews isn't a goalie and he isn't a defenseman. He doesn't disappear in the playoffs, he's 3 multipoint games away from being a point per game playoff performer. 

The Flyers need talent. 

Auston Matthews has it. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, radoran said:

To compare him to Kevin Hayes is simply crazy.

Like I said, attitude-wise. You don't see it - I do. I respect his talent I just don't like his overall game.

In any case the Flyers shouldn't be acquiring big contracts until they rid themselves of a few. Both Briere and Tortorella have been emphasizing "Subtraction" - that's the mode they're in now. I hope they mean hit.

Hopefully the Flyers are finished pursuing the Big FA / Big Trade every summer and are willing to grow the team via drafts and their in-house prospects. When the team is ready for a superstar it will be obvious, just as it's obvious they're not ready for one now.

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Like I said, attitude-wise. You don't see it - I do. I respect his talent I just don't like his overall game.

Honestly, I don't watch Leaes games :hocky:

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

In any case the Flyers shouldn't be acquiring big contracts until they rid themselves of a few.

Well, there's nothing that says acquiring Matthews - if he's available and if the situation is right - precludes doing anything else.

I'm fairly confident that Briere can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Could even be that you make Tronno take Hayes in a Hart for Matthews deal.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Hopefully the Flyers are finished pursuing the Big FA / Big Trade every summer and are willing to grow the team via drafts and their in-house prospects. When the team is ready for a superstar it will be obvious, just as it's obvious they're not ready for one now.

You might note that I've been cool to the idea of DeBrincat or Gaudreau on other threads. The difference between an undersized scoring winger and a dominant 1C should be pretty obvious.

The question is more "when a superstar is available."

They don't grow on tree and they don't come up too too often.

As it is the Flyers are the two years away from being two years away they've been for the past decade.

My point is not that they have to move heaven and earth to get Matthews, it's that if he is available it is irresponsible not to explore the possibility.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2