Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

44 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe we need a separate coach for dmen

I honestly have no valid POV. I havent watched a game all year.

In the big picture, it doesn't make sense to me to fire Torts. You hired the guy knowing your team was schidt, and now you are admitting it openly. You can't honestly say a change is needed because of anything he's done. So if you replace him it looks as idiotic as Fletch-fuk signing a guy who's only on ice contribution is he will fight anyone, because it's clearly shows hiring him was nothing more than a stop gap

I think they hired Torts knowing the team would be this bad, that fletch-fuk was on a short rope, and he would be the guy to work with the new gm to turn the team around

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

So you think another coaching change is coming?

I hope not but it’s always a possibility whenever a new GM takes over. From what I read Briere and Tortorella respect each other and they sound like they’re on the same page (for whatever that’s worth).

Briere is a big fan of the analytics department and believes it’s useful. Tortorella says he trusts his gut and his eyes and he doesn’t need no stinkin’ analytics (I’m sure the actual quote is out there). Hopefully that means the Flyers have the best of both approaches but with Tortorella’s ego you never know. It could mean Briere’s first order of business is replacing him. But to be fair, Tortorella’s ego is not what it used to be, at least publicly. I hope he stays.

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

I honestly have no valid POV. I havent watched a game all year.

In the big picture, it doesn't make sense to me to fire Torts. You hired the guy knowing your team was schidt, and now you are admitting it openly. You can't honestly say a change is needed because of anything he's done. So if you replace him it looks as idiotic as Fletch-fuk signing a guy who's only on ice contribution is he will fight anyone, because it's clearly shows hiring him was nothing more than a stop gap

I think they hired Torts knowing the team would be this bad, that fletch-fuk was on a short rope, and he would be the guy to work with the new gm to turn the team around

Let's assume Briere gets the interim tag removed and is signed as a GM for X number of years. 

Torts signed a 4 year deal if I remember correctly. One year done. So second year stays almost for sure. Briere is "rebuilding" but after another year or two he can use Torts as a scape goat for failure (should that occur). It's a perfect scenario for Briere. He can stay employed for a good 3-4 years before he looks like the problem, even if he does do a crap job. 

Let's hope that's not the case. I personally think Torts was made to be the Flyers coach and I hope he's successful and here for years and years to come. 

• Good Post 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:46 AM, RonJeremy said:

Yes Andre is a good offensive defenceman but we really need someone who is a standout in the defensive part.

Well since we are discussing a rebuild and blowing it up my target for acquisition would from Flyer West.

Brandt Clarke 6-2 RH D LA Kings.

Go get him. They are very close to making a deep playoff push they have a few young guys and they need some more vets.

So pick up the phone and find out what they want for him.

And then give it to them.

He just turned 20 and needs more seasoning.

So I think you could start with Ivan and TK and go from there.

Seemed many were scared to throw a name out to go target so I did now it is time for all the whiners to chime in and say how this would never work and all that other crap.

He is a good player it will be costly to get him but it is time to shale it up and go get a players to build around.

So well Brandt is my guy of choice...

Edit: And yes I know he still needs to work on his skating and I'm good with giving him his time.

I forgot @flyercanuck was a Barrie fan so I will ask for his opinion on the kid is he worth it?

Edited by OccamsRazor
#bourbonup
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well since we are discussing a rebuild and blowing it up my target for acquisition would from Flyer West.

Brandt Clarke 6-2 RH D LA Kings.

Go get him. They are very close to making a deep playoff push they have a few young guys and they need some more vets.

So pick up the phone and find out what they want for him.

And then give it to them.

He just turned 20 and needs more seasoning.

So I think you could start with Ivan and TK and go from there.

Seemed many were scared to throw a name out to go target so I did now it is time for all the whiners to chime in and say how this would never work and all that other crap.

He is a good player it will be costly to get him but it is time to shale it up and go get a players to build around.

So well Brandt is my guy of choice...

Edit: And yes I know he still needs to work on his skating and I'm good with giving him his time.

I forgot @flyercanuck was a Barrie fan so I will ask for his opinion on the kid is he worth it?

What are you trading for Clarke? If it's Provorov AND TK I want a bigger return. But I'd love Clarke. 

Best dman in the OHL. Very smart player with great hands. A Mark Howe-like wrister. Skating is ugly but fine. Knows when to pinch and is deadly at it.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If it's Provorov AND TK I want a bigger return.

Ok it would be a starting point in the negotiations. It's fluid in my mind.

Best dman in the OHL.

Ok well that could be coslty...but you think if they offered TK and Ivan we need more in return??

Ok. Wonder what they would be willing to throw in there then? I'd be willing to give them Sanheim if they'd prefer a guy signed for longer.

Very smart player with great hands. A Mark Howe-like wrister. Skating is ugly but fine. Knows when to pinch and is deadly at it.

Me like.

So the big question could he be the cornerstone of the defense is say 5 years??

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Deangelo is gone first

I doubt he’ll be first if he can be moved at all because thanks to Fletcher he’s too expensive. If anything he’ll get traded at the TD. What makes you think he’ll go first?

I hope Briere doesn’t consider retaining salary just to get rid of him. That’s the Hayes plan and one is enough, in addition to Bryzgalov that is. 

DeAngelo’s contract expires after next season so I wouldn’t worry about trading him. Worst case = one more year.

4 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Worst case = one more year.

That's the same thing with the retain salary.

Keep 50% of TDA and gain $2.5M in cap space and maybe an asset.

If you need it.

So many things to be done not "just to do them" but if they make the team better.

Not for example taking a 1st, 3 2nds, a 3rd, and a 4th to turn Gotstobethere and Hagg into Ristolainen and Deangelo.

(That said, getting rid of TDA should be a net "plus" regardless :hocky:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

That's the same thing with the retain salary.

Sure it is but DeAngelo doesn’t make the high priority list of players to worry about, neither as a potential trade or as a player. Granted he’s a liability defensively and I’m all for revamping the D so if you can trade him by all means do it. But as far as retaining salary I wouldn’t “waste” a spot on a guy with only one year left. And he just may garner some interest at the TD.

Teams can retain salary on 3 players at a time and if god willing Hayes is one of them, with Bryzgalov that’ll be 2. I’d leave that last spot open, possibly for Sanheim or better yet Ristolainen. At $2.5mil he could be moved. What an off-season that would be, to cleanse the Flyers of both Hayes and Ristolainen…!

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Teams can retain salary on 3 players at a time and if god willing Hayes is one of them, with Bryzgalov that’ll be 2.

Bryzgalov is a compliance buyout with no cap penalty. They just keep paying him $1.6M a year.

They're not retaining salary on anyone (*cough* JVR *cough*)

Tony Deangelo doesn't mean anything for next season. If getting his space back helps after next season, no reason not to do it (now, offseason, trade deadline, whenever).

28 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sure it is but DeAngelo doesn’t make the high priority list of players to worry about

Not is my rebuild go ahead and shop him i'd pick up salary if an asset comes back speeds up the process why wait?

He ain't going to get better you put this man on his ass it would be a different story.

Too soft for Philly get him the fook outa here!!!!

I would Wyatt Wylie ice time over that clown...and he ain't never been in the NHL.

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I doubt he’ll be first if he can be moved at all because thanks to Fletcher he’s too expensive. If anything he’ll get traded at the TD. What makes you think he’ll go first?

I hope Briere doesn’t consider retaining salary just to get rid of him. That’s the Hayes plan and one is enough, in addition to Bryzgalov that is. 

DeAngelo’s contract expires after next season so I wouldn’t worry about trading him. Worst case = one more year.

To be rid of DA and eat half his contract to make room for Attard is a win in my book. Who are we spiting to keep him around for 5 million, and taking up a roster spot when you can be rid of him and only pay 2.5 for one more year.  Wasting 2.5 million is better than wasting 5 million.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What do you think is fair trade?

I would trade Provorov and Laughton (Laughton would be a good 3rd line centre on a playoff team) with another pick that isn't a 1st or 2nd. 

If it's Konecny I want something in return. Clarke has lots of value as a prospect, but Konecny has lots of value now. He's not just a good player, he's a shite disturber and he plays bigger than he is. 

All 3 of those guys would likely play better on a better team too.  

The problem, of course, is that Fletcher has set the bar so low for returns on Flyer trades that every gm in the league thinks they have to take the Flyers behind the woodshed just to save face. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I would trade Provorov and Laughton (Laughton would be a good 3rd line centre on a playoff team) with another pick that isn't a 1st or 2nd. 

:PostAward4:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If it's Konecny I want something in return. Clarke has lots of value as a prospect, but Konecny has lots of value now. He's not just a good player, he's a shite disturber and he plays bigger than he is. 

All 3 of those guys would likely play better on a better team too.  

The problem, of course, is that Fletcher has set the bar so low for returns on Flyer trades that every gm in the league thinks they have to take the Flyers behind the woodshed just to save face. 

I would check the offers we would get for Provy and Konecny with multiple teams . Konecny was on his way to a 35 goal season on one of the worst offensive ,least creative and worst PP teams in the league .With steady linemates a real center and a real PP, he would probably have scored  forty. So whatever the going rate is for a 26 yr old 35 goal scorer  on a good contract with 2-3 years left is what we need to get back. If a team wants a package of Konecny and Provy or trade them separately or a multi team deal, I'd look into it.

Considering our top young offensive players and prospects are right wings Tippett, Foerester and Brink,  moving Konecny for the right price is something to think about. In any deals we do make, among the players/picks we get , its imperative to get back a high end defenseman with top pair skills. Especially if we are dumping Provy, he was playing first pair minutes but failed as a top pair guy.  We also want a young top NHL ready center with talent to be a first or second liner. 

We dump DA for a third round pick,

Attard can replace DA, the new dman can replace Provy and we also strengthen our weak center position and potentially we still have plenty of offense on right wing to offset  the loss of Konecny.

I think you get more for DeAngelo if you make him a deadline deal guy next year. Teams always willing to overpay for D men going into the playoffs. Teams that might not want to be saddled with him for a whole year might want him at the deadline. But sure, shop him around now if you can. 

idk who Torts wants subtracted for sure. I assume Hayes but it's hard to say. Whoever isn't listening to him I guess. It's a character thing I imagine and he's evaluated who has heart and who doesn't and who he wants. Now we see if Briere can and will move the guys on Torts list. 

If they can move out big contracts for prospects I won't be upset at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

We dump DA for a third round pick,

This would be too much for TDA...I won't be happy until he walks for nothing.

The Flyers went through so much draft capital and so many players, to wind up with TDA.  Getting an asset for the third worst defenseman in the league doesn't seem like enough losing.

He needs to be untradable and then walk next season. 

That way the organizational failure will be complete.

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This would be too much for TDA...I won't be happy until he walks for nothing.

The Flyers went through so much draft capital and so many players, to wind up with TDA.  Getting an asset for the third worst defenseman in the league doesn't seem like enough losing.

He needs to be untradable and then walk next season. 

That way the organizational failure will be complete.

@mojo1917 - just FYI, your account may have been hacked...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

@mojo1917 - just FYI, your account may have been hacked...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

uh, for real? Like as in I'm radoran the mod and weird **** is happening with your account it's spamming pictures of black cats riding unicorns... or do you mean - this seems out of character and are you feeling well?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

uh, for real? Like as in I'm radoran the mod and weird **** is happening with your account it's spamming pictures of black cats riding unicorns... or do you mean - this seems out of character and are you feeling well?

more the latter :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

As much as I appreciate being able to rattle off 1 1st, 3 2nds, 3rd, and a 4th to turn Hagg and Gotstobethere into Ristolainen and Deangelo, I wouldn't mind getting a 3rd back.

That said, I do appreciate a good spite, it must be said.

GIF by Kim's Convenience

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Yes.