On the Panthers...Relative to the O&B

27 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Right? We change players, coaches, GMs, players, coaches, Gms....and on and on. Homer and Clarke stay on, and the team continues to blow.

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

The Flyers are bad now.  With their financial resources, what they should be doing is assuming bad contracts from contenders in return for accruing more picks.  They would be able to do this if they didn't constantly have 2-5 insane contracts that put them right at the cap.

They can still do this...they have 6.25 mill of Ellis's cap money to do just that with...acquire a bad contract to eat up that cap space or even two contracts to eat up that cap space for hopefully some picks or prospects back in order to do such with.

In fact they have 4 years to do such a move sure it is a pain but it can be done on the way to fixing this club.

It just needs to be planned out you just want to get as close to 6.25 mill of it to be able to utilize all that cap space.

58 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Right? We change players, coaches, GMs, players, coaches, Gms....and on and on. Homer and Clarke stay on, and the team continues to blow.

Exactly and it seems to me that yeah wasn't on the coaches this whole time it was the crap players they were left to coach with in my eyes...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly and it seems to me that yeah wasn't on the coaches this whole time it was the crap players they were left to coach with in my eyes...

Sure...and then those crap players go on to win a cup on another team. As do the coaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

They can still do this...they have 6.25 mill of Ellis's cap money to do just that with...acquire a bad contract to eat up that cap space or even two contracts to eat up that cap space for hopefully some picks or prospects back in order to do such with.

In fact they have 4 years to do such a move sure it is a pain but it can be done on the way to fixing this club.

It just needs to be planned out you just want to get as close to 6.25 mill of it to be able to utilize all that cap space.

No they can’t.  Even with Ellis on LTIR they are still jammed to the cap.  So he is irrelevant.  Let him stay, keep the picks.

3 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Even with Ellis on LTIR they are still jammed to the cap.

Sure but like you said no need for cap space now just remove the dead weight and take on a bad contract or two till they can get the cap cleaned up.

It's called a plan.

And the LTIR is a way to do such.

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Nothing, as long as you're Clarke or Holmgren and you're STILL cashing cheques for complete incompetence.

Well you need to come up with a plan to end that. What ya got? I'll wait...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

You cant possibly be suggesting it wasn't the coache(s) fault? Thats absurd. It would mean someone else was the problem.....I won't stand for it. Im reporting you

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

You cant possibly be suggesting it wasn't the coache(s) fault?

Can you prove that it was?

Hakstol seems to be doing just fine in Seattle.

So do you have some proof it was the coaches?

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can you prove that it was?

Hakstol seems to be doing just fine in Seattle.

So do you have some proof it was the coaches?

you must have ducked. Otherwise the sarcasm I was slinging in my last post would've smacked you right in the mush

Best Hit In Face With Basketball GIFs | Gfycat

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Whoever their coach they need a guy like that...

got to give it to him though. He has that team playing solid hockey. In 2 years he's molded that group into a unified force that plays their system and sticks with it. It's a solid and effective brand of hockey that gets the most out of what they have. They lack depth so they might burn out soon but they have the right foundation for years of success. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

got to give it to him though. He has that team playing solid hockey. In 2 years he's molded that group into a unified force that plays their system and sticks with it. It's a solid and effective brand of hockey that gets the most out of what they have. They lack depth so they might burn out soon but they have the right foundation for years of success. 

They have a few free agents on their blueline after this year i would check to see if they would be interested in either Provorov or Sanheim.

I think either one maybe on their top pair may be a better option than Vince Dunn....just saying pick up the phone and call...they have some nice prospects and a lot of picks...

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They have a few free agents on their blueline after this year i would check to see if they would be interested in either Provorov or Sanheim.

I think either one maybe on their top pair may be a better option than Vince Dunn....just saying pick up the phone and call...they have some nice prospects and a lot of picks...

Not a bad idea. I mean if I'm Briere I'm on the phone to everybody, but maybe Hakstol would want somebody he likes idk. Seattle seems to like their D big. 

Rumors have Colton Parayko on the trading block. I'd look at the cost of getting him. Would fit in with Torts hockey. Has a no trade though which he'd have to agree to. 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Go on i'm listening...

@flyercanuck said “death” and he wasn’t joking. That’s the only sure way that changes in the front office will happen. But I still think what Briere said at his first presser was a sign that changes are coming anyway, without anybody dying. It just feels like now is finally the time. 

The feeling comes from knowing what we all know (plus how I interpret what Briere said), i.e. that Clarke, Holmgren, Barber, Lombardi have zero interest in rebuilding the Flyers patiently, step by step through the draft. But that’s been the message since Briere took over. Tortorella’s on board. I just can’t believe the 4 dinosaurs will stick around for what’s coming. And lord knows they must’ve milked the Flyers enough by now.

If none of them retire this summer I’ll be surprised. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is how you rebuild on the fly...

...with a salary cap.

But football and hockey are really different. Drafted players play right away in the NFL. Make an immediate impact. CBA is different. You can ditch players and thus sign players way easier in the NFL. You can't turnaround as fast in the NHL, just not possible. 

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

But football and hockey are really different.

But see they're not.

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Drafted players play right away in the NFL.

No they don't. Many get sent to the practice squad and have to still develop for  year or two or even longer. 

Some go to the CFL or XFL or USFL. Or Arena league and still have to earn their spot.

So no it isn't different really the plan should be to build the foundation through the draft and plug holes when need be through free agency.

Have some good vets in place to help the kids along their paths.

The problem is one organization has a clear plan/mission and the other seems to be just winging it...

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The problem is one organization has a clear plan/mission and the other seems to be just winging it...

This has always been the Flyers downfall. I guess we'll see if it's any different with Briere but I'm sure not holding my breath on it.