2023-24 Phantoms/Flyer prospects

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

:PopcornSmiley2:

He's racking up a lot of points pinching in from the point (I mean A LOT!)....just wondering if that's going to work in the NHL. May result in a lot of odd man rushes going to other way. Be interesting to see

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 3:11 PM, mojo1917 said:

It was a no-win situation for most of the Giroux era.

He wasn't the best choice to be captain. He did the best he could, it wasn't enough.

It wasn't for lack of trying or "want to". 

I've gone round and round with @radoran on this very point for many of the last 6 years.

🎶 You spin me Rad round baby, Rad round, like a record baby, Rad round, round, round  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He's racking up a lot of points pinching in from the point (I mean A LOT!)....just wondering if that's going to work in the NHL. May result in a lot of odd man rushes going to other way. Be interesting to see

I'm not worried about that part of his game translating i am just worried about him being able to just come in and steal a spot in the top 4 and just help them win by being able to actually play defense.

If he can be just a two way defenseman and make Risto expendable well then we already won!

It is good to see the power play is working well in the AHL. Really wonder how these 3 big PP guys would look on the Flyers now??

First to tie it.

And then for the win!

Samu, Olle and Emil would add some much needed juice i think once Danny clears some room.

Maybe what the roster needs another Finn and some Swede action.

:PopcornSmiley2:

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Be interesting to see

I meant to add this what impresses me the most is his knack for getting to the scoring areas and making it work...i feel like that is an intangible but maybe i am wrong and that can be taught...but i feel it is a thing that you just can visualize and know/instincts so to speak

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not worried about that part of his game translating i am just worried about him being able to just come in and steal a spot in the top 4 and just help them win by being able to actually play defense.

If he can be just a two way defenseman and make Risto expendable well then we already won!

From what I've seen of him his D is pretty good. I don't think that'll be a problem. 

• Like 1

Bonk is excellent defensively. The reason for his jump in offense this year is that Dale Hunter has allowed him to be more of a roamer. He's still one of the first players back on defense and only jumps into the attack of the play allows it. Seriously, Bonk is very good defensively and that will be his calling card in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Bonk is excellent defensively. The reason for his jump in offense this year is that Dale Hunter has allowed him to be more of a roamer. He's still one of the first players back on defense and only jumps into the attack of the play allows it. Seriously, Bonk is very good defensively and that will be his calling card in the NHL. 

I have it ending up like this 

Sanheim/Drysdale

York/Bonk

Andrea/Sotheran 

By the start of 25/26 no less.

On paper very balanced blueline.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have it ending up like this 

Sanheim/Drysdale

York/Bonk

Andrea/Sotheran 

By the start of 25/26 no less.

On paper very balanced blueline.

Zamula?

Traded him for a 1st (top 25 protected) 2nd and 3rd in 2026 and the rights to Pavel Brendl's shadow.

:beer:

Theres no way Fletcher (wherever he landed) would give up Brendls shadow that easily. Brendl once scored 35 for Nizhny Novgorod Torpedo....now you gotta know that the state of Minnesota has never been hit by a torpedo, right? Chuck ain't giving up on that connection.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ristolainen is already expendable.

Nobody is buying.

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

Ristolainen is already expendable.

Nobody is buying.

:hocky:

Yeah, just to many years left on that deal. If it hasn't already come up, Danny will have to weigh retaining salary ( for multiple years?) against the returning assets. Problem is, only contenders would be interested, who are already against the cap. Taking on a bad contract AND salary retention means the return would have to be outstanding. 

What is really needed is a desperate GM trying to save his job and multiple injuries to the interested teams blueline...and the top 3 or 4 dmen at the deadline being moved in a flurry of activity.

Its a long winded way of saying *(barring the baby Jesus intervening), we are stuck with Chucks crap. 

49 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Yeah, just to many years left on that deal. If it hasn't already come up, Danny will have to weigh retaining salary ( for multiple years?) against the returning assets. Problem is, only contenders would be interested, who are already against the cap. Taking on a bad contract AND salary retention means the return would have to be outstanding. 

What is really needed is a desperate GM trying to save his job and multiple injuries to the interested teams blueline...and the top 3 or 4 dmen at the deadline being moved in a flurry of activity.

Its a long winded way of saying *(barring the baby Jesus intervening), we are stuck with Chucks crap. 

First you have to convince them he needs to be moved.

Everything I have read said that Danny Jones loves him and his game and that he has been fixed and adds something to the defense noone else can bring...

• Like 1

First you have to convince them he needs to be moved.

Everything I have read said that Danny Jones loves him and his game and that he has been fixed and adds something to the defense noone else can bring...

Exactly what I would say about a player that I wanted to repair the value.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

Exactly what I would say about a player that I wanted to repair the value.

To be clear I do think they "like" Ristolainen, but I don't think they like the 3Y/$5.1M price tag.

They will never come close to recouping what Fletcher spent to get him, but they might be able to get some return in a year or two...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Phantoms game vs Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins will be broadcast on NHL Network on Friday at 7pm Eastern.  We get to watch Bobby Brink play!

I think the Super star on that team in Samu Tuomaala gives us a scouting report!!!

18 hours ago, radoran said:

but they might be able to get some return in a year or two...

damn you really think there's no chance they unload him this TD? 3 years/$5.1 is obviously a non-starter but if the Flyers retain half - a high price to pay I realize - 3 years at $2.55 has to be moveable.

KJ/DB may enjoy the hits, value Ristolainen's size but they can't possibly want to keep paying $5.1mil/year.

18 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

damn you really think there's no chance they unload him this TD? 3 years/$5.1 is obviously a non-starter but if the Flyers retain half - a high price to pay I realize - 3 years at $2.55 has to be moveable.

KJ/DB may enjoy the hits, value Ristolainen's size but they can't possibly want to keep paying $5.1mil/year.

I think it's whether they think they need the $2.5M in cap space.

If they do, they can likely move him.

If they don't they can see if the price gets better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@GratefulFlyers @radoran

I get the feeling the Danny Jonesy® is in no hurry to rid themselves of Ristolainen especially if they're retaining a lot of salary.

I think Jonesy especially thinks there needs to be some size and physicality on defense. Risto has brought that, he's not a liability. He's over paid for his role but, he's serviceable in his role. Public sentiment be damned. 

Listening to him in this interview, it doesn't seem like they're out on the rebuild, the Colorado game reinforced the need for high-end skill. 

It is good to have the feeling that the people making the decisions have a plan and are able to adjust it as circumstances change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Risto has brought that, he's not a liability.

Granted he brings size also the occasional important hit, one that can help swing or maintain momentum. But he’s slow to react, doesn’t often find a quick outlet under pressure and unfortunately, what he used to be (sorta) known for, offensive contributions are MIA since he’s been with the Flyers. Eventually he’ll go…somewhere….so I why not the sooner the better.

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

unfortunately, what he used to be (sorta) known for, offensive contributions are MIA since he’s been with the Flyers.

They left when Oh My Dahlin took over the #1PP in Buffalo.

Ristolainen was the PPQB by default for the Sabres and was a 40+ point per year guy.

34 minutes ago, radoran said:

Ristolainen was the PPQB by default for the Sabres and was a 40+ point per year guy.

Yes he was, 4 years running … years ago and long before Fletcher landed him. But I shouldn’t have said “(sorta).”

• Haha 1