NHL Draft 2023 Flyers Picks at #103 and #120

pilldoc

103. Cole Knuble, C, FARGO (USHL)

July 1, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 185 pounds

Background:

Cole Knuble was one of the top forwards in the USHL this season as a second-year draft eligible. He was one of the top players at the World Jr. A Challenge as well, and captained Team USA to a gold medal. The son of former NHL player Mike Knuble, Cole is committed to Notre Dame.

Analysis:

Knuble is a hard-working and skilled center who coaches leaned on at the junior level. He has strong puck skills and playmaking ability and showed an ability to consistently generate offense at the USHL level. He’s a fine skater but he’s not a burner especially for a smaller player so whether he can be a good pro remains to be seen, which is why he was passed over once already. He’s a bit of a longshot but some scouts believe he could make it.

120. Alex Ciernik, LW, SODERTALJE (SWEDEN-2)

October 8, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 174 pounds

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Background:

Ciernik has had a solid season in Sweden between the junior and men’s second tier ranks and was also a notable part of Slovakia’s U20 team. He was loaned from his main Allsvenskan club to a bottom club midway through the season. He scored 12 points in five games at the U18 worlds B pool in 2022. He played a big part in Slovakia’s U18 team that won silver at the Hlinka Gretzky in 2021.

Analysis:

Ciernik is a talented scoring winger. He has the speed and skill for higher levels. His skill can stand out, especially the plays he makes in full stride, with flashes of high-end hands. He can make plays on the move and from a standstill. Ciernik’s shot is also quite good, and he’s a guy who can help a power play due to his various offensive tools. I wouldn’t call him a top-end offensive player, and his compete level off the puck, while not poor, is average. So the debate is: As a 5-foot-11 player, where does that fit in an NHL lineup? He could make it, he has talent, but I can’t sit here and tell you I for sure see a top-nine winger.

15 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

103. Cole Knuble, C, FARGO (USHL)

July 1, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 185 pounds

Background:

Cole Knuble was one of the top forwards in the USHL this season as a second-year draft eligible. He was one of the top players at the World Jr. A Challenge as well, and captained Team USA to a gold medal. The son of former NHL player Mike Knuble, Cole is committed to Notre Dame.

Analysis:

Knuble is a hard-working and skilled center who coaches leaned on at the junior level. He has strong puck skills and playmaking ability and showed an ability to consistently generate offense at the USHL level. He’s a fine skater but he’s not a burner especially for a smaller player so whether he can be a good pro remains to be seen, which is why he was passed over once already. He’s a bit of a longshot but some scouts believe he could make it.

120. Alex Ciernik, LW, SODERTALJE (SWEDEN-2)

October 8, 2004 | 5′ 10″ | 174 pounds

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Background:

Ciernik has had a solid season in Sweden between the junior and men’s second tier ranks and was also a notable part of Slovakia’s U20 team. He was loaned from his main Allsvenskan club to a bottom club midway through the season. He scored 12 points in five games at the U18 worlds B pool in 2022. He played a big part in Slovakia’s U18 team that won silver at the Hlinka Gretzky in 2021.

Analysis:

Ciernik is a talented scoring winger. He has the speed and skill for higher levels. His skill can stand out, especially the plays he makes in full stride, with flashes of high-end hands. He can make plays on the move and from a standstill. Ciernik’s shot is also quite good, and he’s a guy who can help a power play due to his various offensive tools. I wouldn’t call him a top-end offensive player, and his compete level off the puck, while not poor, is average. So the debate is: As a 5-foot-11 player, where does that fit in an NHL lineup? He could make it, he has talent, but I can’t sit here and tell you I for sure see a top-nine winger.

Is Knuble related to former Flyer Mike Knuble?

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Hopefully he has the same scoring touch.

Heck, if he can be near as good as his dad was in front of the net, I'll take it.  If i remember correctly, he was hard to move off his spot in front of the goalie on PPs too

8 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Heck, if he can be near as good as his dad was in front of the net, I'll take it.  If i remember correctly, he was hard to move off his spot in front of the goalie on PPs too

His dad had 5 inches and 50 lbs on him. 

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

As hard as Brieres trying, these guys just can't help themselves with the ex-Flyer thing can they?

I seen him rated way ahead of where they took him not sure why you feel like he reached??

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I seen him rated way ahead of where they took him not sure why you feel like he reached??

I didn't say they reached...just said as usual they went to the ol' ex-Flyer cupboard. 

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I didn't say they reached...just said as usual they went to the ol' ex-Flyer cupboard. 

Or just a kid they are real familiar with??

I am good with that...i feel these guys aren't going to just do this former player a solid just to do them a solid...

..they are counting on him going to college, growing into a fine young man and hockey player...

...i have no proof at all of any truth to what i'm saying...you could be even right...these guys feel different it feels like a 2nd chance to bring their fans something they deserve and couldn't bring their first time with the club.

I feel like we as in folks like you and me - me more than you because i don't know no 74 and 75 Cups i don't have any too.

It has to be getting close to our time...it feels right this time...and i'm sober.

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Or just a kid they are real familiar with??

I am good with that...i feel these guys aren't going to just do this former player a solid just to do them a solid...

..they are counting on him going to college, growing into a fine young man and hockey player...

...i have no proof at all of any truth to what i'm saying...you could be even right...these guys feel different it feels like a 2nd chance to bring their fans something they deserve and couldn't bring their first time with the club.

I feel like we as in folks like you and me - me more than you because i don't know no 74 and 75 Cups i don't have any too.

It has to be getting close to our time...it feels right this time...and i'm sober.

They took Michkov....that says something. So does the fact Briere is trying to trade off players instead of "going for it". 

I just laughed that even with that, they still have to do the ol' ex-Flyer route. It wasn't a 1st or 2nd, so I really don't care. I'm more upset they didn't take my guy Akey with that 2nd...and I'm not even that upset about that.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm more upset they didn't take my guy Akey with that 2nd.

Is he worth that pick in the 2nd i get what you're saying even Lukas Dragicevic as well who went to Seattle i really don't know much about the goalie but it was part of a run on goalies it seems.

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is he worth that pick in the 2nd i get what you're saying even Lukas Dragicevic as well who went to Seattle i really don't know much about the goalie but it was part of a run on goalies it seems.

I guess we won't know for a few years but he went 5 picks later, so I guess he was in the ball park. The kid was just killing it as Barries top defenceman, as a 17 year old, and then Brandt Clarke got sent down and took his spot. That's no knock on Akey, as Clarke was probably the best player in the O last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I guess we won't know for a few years but he went 5 picks later, so I guess he was in the ball park. The kid was just killing it as Barries top defenceman, as a 17 year old, and then Brandt Clarke got sent down and took his spot. That's no knock on Akey, as Clarke was probably the best player in the O last season.

Well he is an Oiler now.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I just laughed that even with that, they still have to do the ol' ex-Flyer route. It wasn't a 1st or 2nd, so I really don't care. I'm more upset they didn't take my guy Akey with that 2nd...and I'm not even that upset about that.

But don't tell my heart, my Akey breaky heart
I just don't think he'd understand
And if you tell my heart, my Akey breaky heart
FC might blow up and kill this man, ooh

🫣

Edited by Cheesesteak
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Looking good Knuble!!!

I'm really hoping he makes the team so I can make my wife dig out her pink #22 Flyer jersey with Canoe-Bull on the back. She used to laugh every time his name was called when I was watching games, so I bought her a jersey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• pilldoc unpinned this topic