The Plight of Travis Sanheim...

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=184862&forum_id=73

Oilers interested in Flyer Remember when Sanheim was thought traded? Well there is still a 50/50 chance I am hearing that Sanheim opens this season elsewhere. The Oilers really have always wanted Sanheim.

:PopcornSmiley2:

@radoran

Are you kidding me Sanheim has a NTC? But of course you’re not kidding. Ugh I should’ve known without a trip to capfriendly. Full NTC until 2027-28 then it’s a 12-team NT list. Brilliant GMing there; just incredible the amount of unforced errors that guy racked up. I swear it’s like he was secretly working for another club the whole time he was in Philly. 

Clarke and Holmgren taught him well. Sign him early (unnecessarily), sign him long-term (unnecessarily) and don’t forget the NTC (to complete the pattern). Unreal. The Old Guard’s legacy still haunts the Flyers. Just incredible.

edit: if he gets stuck with Ristolainen again - and Tortorella’s options on the back end are limited to say the least - I bet Sanheim asks to be traded by the TD. I sure wouldn’t blame him if he did.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Are you kidding me Sanheim has a NTC?

I thought you knew this. It was why the Flyer brass was in a hurry to try and move Hayes and Sanheim before his NTC kicked in July 1st.

But the agent for the defenseman leaked it because Krug (or whoever was suppose to) didn't want to come to Philly.

Then the trade was dead. They were just looking to get rid of Sanheim's over paid contract and regardless of the return it seemed.

Sanheim and Hayes gone yeah guess they could have lived whomever came back...but well now they get to rag doll Travis for another 6 years before they buy him out.

• Like 1

If Sanheim plays alongside Ristolainen again he’s all but guaranteed to have another mediocre season. Unless they can convince him they’ll be moving Ristolainen I can’t see Sanheim sticking around. The NTC complicates things (as it always does) but in Sanheim’s case it may not.

If Sanheim was worth anything significant, teams would be lining up for his services. Considering the teams current state, it would makes sense that he would agree to move on. If he has "another mediocre season", his value (whatever it is), will plummet and may have no choice but to stick around

I know we all think Risto sucks donky-dick, but his teammates may not share that opinion

48 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If Sanheim was worth anything significant, teams would be lining up for his services. Considering the teams current state, it would makes sense that he would agree to move on. If he has "another mediocre season", his value (whatever it is), will plummet and may have no choice but to stick around

I know we all think Risto sucks donky-dick, but his teammates may not share that opinion

I think maybe the best bet to move Sanheim and would be in a package with his bestie Travis Konecny.

I mean they have a glut of RWs and well someone needs to go anyways so it seems a package might be the easiest way.

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think maybe the best bet to move Sanheim and would be in a package with his bestie Travis Konecny.

I mean they have a glut of RWs and well someone needs to go anyways so it seems a package might be the easiest way.

Soyheim can waive his no trade especially if he knows his best pal is gonna be traded. Maybe he'd rather play on a team that has a shot at winning.  He also doesn't seem to be the personality type to thrive as the go to guy on defense, he will surely wilt with the responsibility.  So if a package of him and Konecny is what it takes, then let's make some calls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

So if a package of him and Konecny is what it takes, then let's make some calls

I'm afraid it's the only way you move him and that contract without attaching something nice too it.

If someone knows a better way I'm all ears.

The player has zero opportunity to improve on a bad season-  that's it, he played bad that one year, that's what the next 6 will be like, except worse because reasons.

Is this the sentiment so far?

Over the last 5 years Sanhiem has been the 2nd or 3rd best player at his position on the team. Only Provorov had more talent and Sanhiem is the better skater of the two.

Excluding last year's disaster, Travis' metrics have been good, his play and the way the he either pops or isn't noticeable has been good.  In the bubble his pairing was the most effective, I know that's now 3 years ago but he was good then. In fact, he's been mostly good while he's been a Flyer. He's being paid like he's been mostly good and with the salary cap due to rise, his salary for a middling #3 will be fair. He can be better than that, the contract could wind up being favorable. 

A person here doesn't like him because that one time when he was a boy, a man, though small, dumped him on his ass.

Another guy doesn't like that he isn't a hitter and isn't mean, even though, he never was a hitter, was never projected to be a hitter it's not really his game. - I wouldn't ask a fish to climb a tree and expect it to be awesome at it. In fact, I would leave the tree climbing to the jaguars and monkeys.

Is there room for the player to improve? Certainly - last year's play wasn't acceptable. Everyone including the player knows that. 

This wouldn't be the first time a Philly athlete failed to meet expectations after signing a big contract, nor would it be the first time a Philly athlete rebounded and proved worthy of their deal. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 1:03 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I thought you knew this. It was why the Flyer brass was in a hurry to try and move Hayes and Sanheim before his NTC kicked in July 1st.

Yeah I must've brain-cramped on that one. Everybody knew about Hayes' right of refusal, his NTC, but for whatever reason I missed the talk about Sanheim's.

I know I'm a broken record on this but the Flyers must get rid of Ristolainen ASAP. Hayes was the top priority for sure but for me moving Ristolainen was thisclose to the same level of urgency. It bothers me that Briere didn't even try to trade him (AFAIK). It bothers me that Jones apparently appreciates Ristolainen's game.

Hopefully Jones' comments were just PR but it's hard to believe when there was nothing about efforts to trade him this summer. Did I miss the Ristolainen trade talk? (please say yes)

edit: the best reason to move Ristolainen is Travis Sanheim. Sanheim is likely here to stay and he's shown flashes of ability to be a productive D-man, a 40+ point guy. But he'll never get anywhere close with Ristolainen weighing him down.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

35 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It bothers me that Jones apparently appreciates Ristolainen's game.

This combined with the fact that Risto's game showed improvement. A statement I can neither confirm or deny since I didn't exactly watch the games.

But this is also what I read. And sure I know what some will say is well he had nowhere to go but up.

Still this isn't my opinion it is the front office's opinion it seems.

So I would be totally fine moving both.

But we know we're stuck with both.

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The player has zero opportunity to improve on a bad season-  that's it, he played bad that one year, that's what the next 6 will be like, except worse because reasons.

Over the last 5 years Sanhiem has been the 2nd or 3rd best player at his position on the team. Only Provorov had more talent and Sanhiem is the better skater of the two.

Excluding last year's disaster, Travis' metrics have been good, his play and the way the he either pops or isn't noticeable has been good.  In the bubble his pairing was the most effective, I know that's now 3 years ago but he was good then. In fact, he's been mostly good while he's been a Flyer. He's being paid like he's been mostly good and with the salary cap due to rise, his salary for a middling #3 will be fair. He can be better than that, the contract could wind up being favorable. 

A person here doesn't like him because that one time when he was a boy, a man, though small, dumped him on his ass.

Another guy doesn't like that he isn't a hitter and isn't mean, even though, he never was a hitter, was never projected to be a hitter it's not really his game. - I wouldn't ask a fish to climb a tree and expect it to be awesome at it. In fact, I would leave the tree climbing to the jaguars and monkeys.

Is there room for the player to improve? Certainly - last year's play wasn't acceptable. Everyone including the player knows that. 

This wouldn't be the first time a Philly athlete failed to meet expectations after signing a big contract, nor would it be the first time a Philly athlete rebounded and proved worthy of their deal. 

He's a good third defenseman but we need to find a #1 and 2 or he will suffer by being put on the first pair,  but this has always been a problem with the team and miscasting players. Yes and it was embarrassing that he was rag dolled by the Gerber Baby. Considering his skating ability and the highlight reel offense he created in juniors, I think he should be much more of an offensive force ,especially on the PP. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Considering his skating ability and the highlight reel offense he created in juniors, I think he should be much more of an offensive force ,especially on the PP. 

I won’t pretend his partner is to blame for everything but if Sanheim is going to reach his potential and become the player he should be, an “offensive force” like you said - and a reliable, consistent one - he needs a partner who can keep. Ristolainen cannot.

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Let's also not forget the multitude of coaches that tried to coach all the skill out of Sanheim. Let's begin with Dave Hakstol and his mantra that defenseman should NEVER lead rushes. That was Sanheim's bread and butter. Hakstol also didn't want him to handle the puck, but dump it off in a corner where a forward could chase it. The when that jackass was fired, they brought in Scott Gordon, who had no structure and just let Sanheim play pond hockey, yet Sanheim was incredible responsible. Which brings us to Vigneault, who them decided that Sanheim needed to be more physical, but use his skating ability to get the puck up to the blueline, but then had to drop back immediately into defensive coverage. Then along comes Yeo and he actually seemed like he was making serious progress with Sanheim, only for Brad Shaw to come along and screw everything up. So five coaches in six seasons, all different systems, all using him differently. Funny how no one else mentions that. This franchise is an absolute development killer. Look at how they ruined Provorov. Look at how they disposed of Gostisbehere. Look at what they did with Hagg. And to see some on here call Sanheim soft or Soyheim. **** them. Sanheim isn't the problem. Never has been. The problem has ALWAYS been development and usage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Let's also not forget the multitude of coaches that tried to coach all the skill out of Sanheim. Let's begin with Dave Hakstol and his mantra that defenseman should NEVER lead rushes. That was Sanheim's bread and butter. Hakstol also didn't want him to handle the puck, but dump it off in a corner where a forward could chase it. The when that jackass was fired, they brought in Scott Gordon, who had no structure and just let Sanheim play pond hockey, yet Sanheim was incredible responsible. Which brings us to Vigneault, who them decided that Sanheim needed to be more physical, but use his skating ability to get the puck up to the blueline, but then had to drop back immediately into defensive coverage. Then along comes Yeo and he actually seemed like he was making serious progress with Sanheim, only for Brad Shaw to come along and screw everything up. So five coaches in six seasons, all different systems, all using him differently. Funny how no one else mentions that. This franchise is an absolute development killer. Look at how they ruined Provorov. Look at how they disposed of Gostisbehere. Look at what they did with Hagg. And to see some on here call Sanheim soft or Soyheim. **** them. Sanheim isn't the problem. Never has been. The problem has ALWAYS been development and usage. 

I could not love you more than I do right now. Why, if you were a sheep, well...

On 9/6/2023 at 9:37 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Let's also not forget the multitude of coaches that tried to coach all the skill out of Sanheim.

And don’t forget the Ristolainen factor. With him for a partner Sanheim’s game can’t mature into a guy who’s consistently leading rushes, forcing opponents to respect his speed, shot and vision. He should be noticeably better this season if only because last year he was so bad. But until he gets a better partner he’ll never be the offensive force he should be.

24 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

With him for a partner Sanheim’s game can’t mature into a guy who’s consistently leading rushes, forcing opponents to respect his speed, shot and vision.

I get where you're going with this. I do.

But Sanheim has had his issues before Risto. 

So i can't buy it is all due to Risto. Before Risto was in Philly Sanheim finished -22 to go with 15 measly points.

I just believe it boils down to Travis having a small weak pea brain to go on top of this big - but soft body.

Weak ass Canadian Counrty boy so to speak. Yep they make em. We have one. Time to find him another home.

But one last **** ya from Chuck to remember him by....

53 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And don’t forget the Ristolainen factor. With him for a partner Sanheim’s game can’t mature into a guy who’s consistently leading rushes, forcing opponents to respect his speed, shot and vision. He should be noticeably better this season if only because last year he was so bad. But until he gets a better partner he’ll never be the offensive force he should be.

It always stuck me as odd as to why they wouldn't use a guy like Hogberg with Sanheim. Hogberg was a smart defensive defenseman and he would have allowed Sanheim to do his thing. Schmuck was an arsehole that didn't know hockey.

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It always stuck me as odd as to why they wouldn't use a guy like Hogberg with Sanheim.

Anyone would be better for Sanheim. Pairing Ristolainen’s slowpoke brain with a guy who (at his best) is all about speed, quick transitions, attacking before the D can set up… that pair makes no sense. Tortorella’s options are limited but if Sanheim’s ever going to reach his potential he’s got to get him away from Ristolainen.

The Ristolainen from 5 years ago might’ve worked okay with Sanheim. Back then Ristolainen was a puck-moving D-man who was pretty effective for the Sabres. But his offensive game has been going steadily downhill ever since. He hasn’t improved his defense enough to be a reliable stay-at-home guy either.

edit: @OccamsRazor I’ve said before I don’t blame all of Sanheim’s weak-sauce on Ristolainen. Sanheim’s a big boy he’s getting big bucks he needs to be better, period, regardless who he’s partnered with. I hope he’s ready to earn that contract and if he’s with Ristolainen again he’ll just have to deal with it. But until his partner is a better player I’m grading Sanheim on a curve.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

27 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sanheim’s a big boy he’s getting big bucks he needs to be better, period, regardless who he’s partnered with.

What if and no i am sober...what if Sean Walker could unlock something in him...his own per se Matt Niskanen?

That would be some awesome luck.

I am just hoping for well i don't even know what i'm hoping for besides a good year for once with health...

The top pair has too include one of either York or Sanheim.