The Hockey Guy on Fedotov and Michkov

Howie58

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Since the Russians are not honoring the ruling on Fedetov, the Flyers should not honor Michkovs contract with Russia. Are there any international games where they can  sneak Michkov out of the country before his development is ruined from not playing or he gets sent to the Arctic Circle for Military duty.

Russia is banned from international games until  they stop invading countries  Putin is dead.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

On 9/10/2023 at 3:22 PM, GrittyForever said:

Because Putin loves to have his hockey stars be stars here so he can parade them around Russia and say look, we beat them at their own game.

Russian politics and related things are now entirely internalized.  If Putin could somehow force Ovechkin back to Moscow, he would.  Presenting the Russian people with excellence in-person is now way more effective and desirable in sustaining his position than saying, "hey, we sent him to the west and he is doing great."  Really, players going west undermines his position, as it means the only way for a hockey player to really prove himself is to not be in Russia.  Which is true, and always has been.  Where it used to be that the "we beat them in their own system" thing was valuable, it now begs the question, "what is wrong with our system that they have to go elsewhere and play for American fans?"

Again, things are no longer as they have been.  Yes, be afraid.

We've lived a global situation that was unprecedented, has never been seen before in the history of the planet.  Since 1945, generally, but specifically over the last 35 years.  Globalization's sharing of wealth and resources across increasingly theoretical national boarders did amazing things we can't really appreciate, given our built-in perspectives.  We grew up in it, and it feels like the normal way things are done.  But it isn't.  "Normal", geopolitically and historically speaking, is not one of unified cooperation and purpose.  It is conflict and jealousy.  Some areas are showing that breakdown more than others.  Russia is leading the way.  China will follow soon.

None of this is meant to predict what is going to happen.  Only to say if your prediction is based on how things have worked for the last 40 years, they aren't based on current reality. 

Personally, I think whether and when Michkov comes over will come down to his personal ideals; where he ultimately wants to play and where his "allegiances" are.  His first NHL contract will be capped around $1mil/year, with bonuses not exceeding 10% of the total value of the contract.  Which is itself limited to 3 years.  His first contract will be 3 years at $1mil, he could make $3.3mil total.  Some oligarch that wants to impress Putin with how he is protecting the motherland and her assets, and offers him $3mil/year, what do the Flyers do?  What if the offer is $8mil/year?  How good is the kid?  Slide the scale to match.  How could the Flyers/NHL match?

He could be offended at how Russia decided to be the vanguard of the collapse of sporting globalization and want out.  That'd put him in the Flyers' hands, maybe sooner than hid KHL contract suggests (because those negotiated agreements are going out the window).  Or, he could be a proud Russian offended at how diminished his nation's reputation has become and decide to stay around to show the Russian people how amazing their own product is.  Plus accepting a gigantic (and prohibited in the NHL) contract offered to him by a guy stinking of day old vodka and money laundering.

It's a very weird time to be alive, people.  Expect to be surprised in all kinds of directions over the next decade.  Things will not be as they have been.  Still like the draft pick, but it's one of the more "who can say, call it 50/50" picks I've seen.

Edited by aziz

4 hours ago, aziz said:

Russian politics and related things are now entirely internalized.  If Putin could somehow force Ovechkin back to Moscow, he would.  Presenting the Russian people with excellence in-person is now way more effective and desirable in sustaining his position than saying, "hey, we sent him to the west and he is doing great."  Really, players going west undermines his position, as it means the only way for a hockey player to really prove himself is to not be in Russia.  Which is true, and always has been.  Where it used to be that the "we beat them in their own system" thing was valuable, it now begs the question, "what is wrong with our system that they have to go elsewhere and play for American fans?"

Again, things are no longer as they have been.  Yes, be afraid.

We've lived a global situation that was unprecedented, has never been seen before in the history of the planet.  Since 1945, generally, but specifically over the last 35 years.  Globalization's sharing of wealth and resources across increasingly theoretical national boarders did amazing things we can't really appreciate, given our built-in perspectives.  We grew up in it, and it feels like the normal way things are done.  But it isn't.  "Normal", geopolitically and historically speaking, is not one of unified cooperation and purpose.  It is conflict and jealousy.  Some areas are showing that breakdown more than others.  Russia is leading the way.  China will follow soon.

None of this is meant to predict what is going to happen.  Only to say if your prediction is based on how things have worked for the last 40 years, they aren't based on current reality. 

Personally, I think whether and when Michkov comes over will come down to his personal ideals; where he ultimately wants to play and where his "allegiances" are.  His first NHL contract will be capped around $1mil/year, with bonuses not exceeding 10% of the total value of the contract.  Which is itself limited to 3 years.  His first contract will be 3 years at $1mil, he could make $3.3mil total.  Some oligarch that wants to impress Putin with how he is protecting the motherland and her assets, and offers him $3mil/year, what do the Flyers do?  What if the offer is $8mil/year?  How good is the kid?  Slide the scale to match.  How could the Flyers/NHL match?

He could be offended at how Russia decided to be the vanguard of the collapse of sporting globalization and want out.  That'd put him in the Flyers' hands, maybe sooner than hid KHL contract suggests (because those negotiated agreements are going out the window).  Or, he could be a proud Russian offended at how diminished his nation's reputation has become and decide to stay around to show the Russian people how amazing their own product is.  Plus accepting a gigantic (and prohibited in the NHL) contract offered to him by a guy stinking of day old vodka and money laundering.

It's a very weird time to be alive, people.  Expect to be surprised in all kinds of directions over the next decade.  Things will not be as they have been.  Still like the draft pick, but it's one of the more "who can say, call it 50/50" picks I've seen.

This is pretty much a subjective political opinion based on conjecture and unsupported by any facts. You phrase it as if it's truth or fact, but it's just opinion. There is no factual reason to think Michkov won't be here. Absolutely none. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

My only concern right now is he's not playing. He's not developing if he isn't playing.

True. But there are other sides of development. I'm sure he is getting tested on the mental side, learning to cope and do what the coach says and hopefully be a good team player/person even from the outside looking in. 

On 9/9/2023 at 8:33 PM, aziz said:

Also, my prediction if the Ukraine does full-on lose the war, Poland will be next.  Ukraine was never the point, strategic geography in Poland and the Baltics are.  Ukraine is just on the way to those.  The fighting over the last 15 years in Georgia and Crimea were for the same reasons (though different strategic locations).

That's your prediction, but nothing more than that.  Sorry... The reality is, only Putin and his close circle know for a fact why they decided to attack Ukraine and start a full-blown war. I began to listen to politicians, journalists (including World journalists and Ukrainian ones), historians (including Tim Snider, who is an expert on Eastern Europe), and war experts since the war began and continue doing it now, although much less frequently compared to 1.5 years ago. There are many opinions and many theories.  But even *they* don't know for a fact why Putin did what he did.  It also stands to reason that *if* invading Poland was his true and primary intention, we would have seen at last some signs of that.  With today's military, intelligence, and weaponry capabilities, you don't need to occupy Ukraine to be able to occupy Poland. Also don't forget that Poland is in NATO.  Putin was told by US and British officials in charge, in terms that even an imbecile can understand, what would happen to Moscow and other major Russian cities, Russia's armed forces, the Russian military and government command, and him personally if he would even make an attempt to attack a NATO country.  And he understood. He is a world criminal and a fascist.  Yes.  But he is not stupid and he is not a fanatic who doesn't care if he dies.  He has no plans to die. 

• Like 3

On 9/4/2023 at 9:51 AM, hmc687 said:

Michkov wants to come to NHL.  He'll be here in 3 years time.  Things with Russia are fine.  Ukraine is losing and will lose the war primarily because theyre grossly outnumbered.  I'm not wishing negativity on UKR or RSA.  I'm not from the Eur-Asian area and I've seen enough conflicting information online to know that news/media from whichever country presents things in their own interest.

Needless to say USA and Russia havent gotten along for decades minus Trumps brief tenure and yet Ovechkin and Malkin and Kaprizov and plenty of other Russian players come to NHL simply because they want to be the best...and Ovi will go down as the best goal scorer ever - rightfully so.

Russians dont impede Russians from making money and NHL pays the best by a large margin.

Not to be that guy, but here we are. Your post is a smorgasbord of stupidity.

Edited by Bertmega

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Um, he's dead. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Michkov pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

lol

Save Michkov 

On 9/11/2023 at 11:50 PM, GrittyForever said:

This is pretty much a subjective political opinion based on conjecture and unsupported by any facts. You phrase it as if it's truth or fact, but it's just opinion. There is no factual reason to think Michkov won't be here. Absolutely none.

Mostly true.  I would suggest Russia's attitude towards corrupting systems to suit momentary desires and lack of caps on what they pay their players are facts, as is Russia's recent and dramatic change of focus from impressing on the international stage to re-establishing internal stability.  None of these bode well for making an exodus of talent to the west easy, but you are right: they don't prove anything, or rule anything out.  Definitely.

I'd also suggest you have no more "facts" than I do.  Arguably less, but only arguably.  Neither of us know what is going to happen, I just don't see any reason to think things working out well are more than 50-50.  We'll see.

On 9/12/2023 at 8:51 AM, Mad Dog said:

I began to listen to politicians, journalists (including World journalists and Ukrainian ones), historians (including Tim Snider, who is an expert on Eastern Europe), and war experts since the war began and continue doing it now, although much less frequently compared to 1.5 years ago. There are many opinions and many theories.  But even *they* don't know for a fact why Putin did what he did.

Fair enough.  Demographers began predicting a general invasion of Ukraine ten years ago, based on their collapsing population/age ratios.  And those predictions have come true.  The predictions also indicated the ultimate goal would be to re-establish the territorial boarders of the USSR, securing geographic positions that would be more defensible than the open steppe of Russia proper.  Two of those geographic positions are in Poland and the Baltics, with Crimea being another.  All would be required (plus more to the east).  

You are right, though, they are all just predictions and projections.

On 9/12/2023 at 8:51 AM, Mad Dog said:

Putin was told by US and British officials in charge, in terms that even an imbecile can understand, what would happen to Moscow and other major Russian cities, Russia's armed forces, the Russian military and government command, and him personally if he would even make an attempt to attack a NATO country.  And he understood. He is a world criminal and a fascist.  Yes.  But he is not stupid and he is not a fanatic who doesn't care if he dies.  He has no plans to die.

That would also almost certainly mean a nuclear exchange between the two sides.  A desperate man who does not wish to die, but whose hold on power (and in Russia, that also means an increasing threat to his life) is in jeopardy, might very well believe the West would rather let Poland fall than poke a nuclear-armed bear.  "We defend Poland and many millions will die, we find some kind of Molotov–Ribbentrop situation where Poland is cut up and no one dies."  What would the West choose? 

Just saying, the things we've thought unthinkable for the last 30 years were only unthinkable for the last 30 years.  It is not "normal", over the course of history, for those things to be unthinkable.  And we are returning to the norm.

Edited by aziz

14 hours ago, aziz said:

Demographers began predicting a general invasion of Ukraine ten years ago

Reasoning being the CIA and Army Rangers have been there since around 2011-12.

Won't get to all the why but yes this Russia/Ukraine unfortunately has turned it to a sandbox to keep the arms dealing/supplying/economies going especially with the BRICS thing all tied into to one huge ugly mess.

All comes back down to trickle to hockey...crazy world we live in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aziz said:

Mostly true.  I would suggest Russia's attitude towards corrupting systems to suit momentary desires and lack of caps on what they pay their players are facts, as is Russia's recent and dramatic change of focus from impressing on the international stage to re-establishing internal stability.  None of these bode well for making an exodus of talent to the west easy, but you are right: they don't prove anything, or rule anything out.  Definitely.

I'd also suggest you have no more "facts" than I do.  Arguably less, but only arguably.  Neither of us know what is going to happen, I just don't see any reason to think things working out well are more than 50-50.  We'll see.

I only have one fact, which I laid out in my first post and that is that the "hero" in charge of Russian hockey is a good friend of our old time Czar. I can't believe they'd go in on Michkov without a good conversation between those friends happening.

Also might explain why Michkov was so "I want to play in Philadelphia". He may have been promised things. Also might explain why he dropped past Arizona (who drafted other Russians). League insiders might know and everyone might have been told he was only coming to Philly. But this part is just speculation on my part. Speculation that makes sense and explains things, but speculation all the same. 

I have a question for anybody though and that is how do Russian tax laws work? Do Russian hockey players pay any amounts of money to Russia? If they do, that would also explain why Putin has no issue with big contracts playing here. 

• 2 weeks later...